• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

Well since the other one got closed...

@kdko That's true, but most of Hyde's catches came before Jimmy GQ took over. He didn't see nearly as many passes his way after that, although like you said, Bell's skillset is much greater than Hyde's.

I think as of right now I would rank potential landing spots (off the top of my head):

Steelers

Raiders

49ers

Browns

But that's if he even plays next year!

Hope he retires. Awesome fantasy back, but insufferable.

Will be interesting offseason for him.  Pit only has a year or two window and they would be crazy to let him go.  But if he does make it to free agency he should have no trouble getting the money he wants.  Since there are so many teams with an abundance of cap space.

5 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Will be interesting offseason for him.  Pit only has a year or two window and they would be crazy to let him go.  But if he does make it to free agency he should have no trouble getting the money he wants.  Since there are so many teams with an abundance of cap space.

He wants to be paid as a wr+rb, no team is paying that kind of money. Freeman signed his deal last season and DJ may get a deal this offseason  so maybe bell  may get what DJ gets but not sure why Bell thinks he will get a higher premium than what the mkt is paying for elite rb's.  Jimmy graham tried the same thing in NO when he wanted to paid as a wr and was denied and eventually traded. 

The Steelers don't have the cap space to pay Bell franchise tag money or what  he can command on the open market.  There are ways to create cap space, but until we see those moves happening, no one should assume that he remains a Steeler.

Also, they like Conner, and this is a very deep RB draft class.  They could add an instant impact starter (e.g., Jones, Michel, Guice, Freeman, etc.) late on Day One.

Bell won't end up in SF, that's for sure.  But if he ends up some where other than Pittsburgh, he'll be overdrafted.  I love Bell more than any other player, but I'll stick my neck out right now and say that he will take a significant step back in production no matter where he goes.

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

He wants to be paid as a wr+rb, no team is paying that kind of money. Freeman signed his deal last season and DJ may get a deal this offseason  so maybe bell  may get what DJ gets but not sure why Bell thinks he will get a higher premium than what the mkt is paying for elite rb's.  Jimmy graham tried the same thing in NO when he wanted to paid as a wr and was denied and eventually traded. 

What he has said is he feels that RB contracts have gone down while the cap has risen by a large amount.  He feels it is his responsibility to try and correct that market.  Hard to argue with that fact since guys like LT, CJ0k and AP got much larger contracts years ago then any RB gets now.  8 of the top 10 teams in cap space have a huge need at RB.  If he makes it to the open market I fully expect him to get the money he is looking for. 

Jimmy got his contract in NO 4 year 40 mil the year before then was traded the next year when NO realized they couldn't win with how their team was built.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, youngrice said:

What he has said is he feels that RB contracts have gone down while the cap has risen by a large amount.  He feels it is his responsibility to try and correct that market.  Hard to argue with that fact since guys like LT, CJ0k and AP got much larger contracts years ago then any RB gets now.  8 of the top 10 teams in cap space have a huge need at RB.  If he makes it to the open market I fully expect him to get the money he is looking for. 

Jimmy got his contract in NO 4 year 40 mil the year before then was traded the next year when NO realized they couldn't win with how their team was built.

When you can get a stud, all down RB on Day Two or even Day Three of the draft this year, you're not going to break the bank on a RB with mileage.  Last year's rookie class pretty much cemented that.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 2

Oakland's offensive line, and porous defense seem like the ideal place for a guy like Bell to produce fantasy numbers.     Cleveland invested heavy in OL last spring, and has his OC, and I'm sure the "stick it to your old team" mantra will be laid on thick should he have the chance to converse with the Browns.   There are teams with over 100 million in cap space, and short of Kirk Cousins, who is really worth a megastar contract this offseason?   There's over a billion in combined cap space among all teams right now, and we haven't even seen cap casualties yet.   The money is there, from more than a few teams.   His agent surely knows this and is driving this whole thing, I imagine

My real concern is physical breakdown.   He has had high touch rates lately, and wherever he goes outside of PIT, he won't have an Antonio Brown there, so he will be THE guy and is almost certain to be near the league lead in touches again.   I dont know how much that'll factor in at draft time for me- I'm guessing i'd limit myself to one team with Bell just to mitigate risk, but i'd still draft him once

10 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

When you can get a stud, all down RB on Day Two or even Day Three of the draft this year, you're not going to break the bank on a RB with mileage.  Last year's rookie class pretty much cemented that.

and this is why he is going to get what is in line with other elite vet rb's and not what he thinks he deserves. GM/coaches view rb's as easier to replace and so far they have been. 

8 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Last years class was an aberration not the standard.  Even then the only RB I would say that has Bell's tools(rushing and receiving is Kamara).  Hell I could very well be wrong but since so many teams have so much cap space I just think Bell will get what he is looking for.  If Bell makes it to the open market why wouldn't a team like Cle or SF that have over 100mill in cap space sign him.  Give Bell a big contract with the signing bonus up front over first two to three years.  Since neither team is gonna be close to the cap for the next couple of years.  It gives them a top flight RB and the freedom to cut him with no penalty if they need the cap space or he his play declines.

36 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Last years class was an aberration not the standard.  Even then the only RB I would say that has Bell's tools(rushing and receiving is Kamara).  Hell I could very well be wrong but since so many teams have so much cap space I just think Bell will get what he is looking for.  If Bell makes it to the open market why wouldn't a team like Cle or SF that have over 100mill in cap space sign him.  Give Bell a big contract with the signing bonus up front over first two to three years.  Since neither team is gonna be close to the cap for the next couple of years.  It gives them a top flight RB and the freedom to cut him with no penalty if they need the cap space or he his play declines.

Because SF and CLE don't have a a team that is on the the bubble to make a run for conf title and SB; they are in rebuild mode. No incentive to pay up for a rb when they could spend the money on getting cheaper high quality players to build with on both sides of the ball.  Bell to  OAK-CAR-DET or even SEA or HOU makes sense because he can power them through the playoffs with the other stars they have.  Squandering cap room on a rb doesnt make sense unless u have the QB and o-line locked and loaded to support him.

Bell isnt a stud in a vacuum. He is a stud becaause he has big ben as his QB, AB to damage secondaries, and amazing blocking. the steelers are a talented offense across the board not simply because of bell. the steelers had a talented offense before bell and will have one after him but currently with him they  have arguably the best offense in teh NFL

Edited by dashoe

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Because SF and CLE don't have a a team that is on the the bubble to make a run for conf title and SB; they are in rebuild mode. No incentive to pay up for a rb when they could spend the money on getting cheaper high quality players to build with on both sides of the ball.  Bell to  OAK-CAR or even SEA or HOU makes sense because he can power them through the playoffs with the other stars they have.  Squandering cap room on a rb doesnt make sense unless u have the QB and o-line locked and loaded to support him

SF has the QB and their line got better as the year went on.  You must of missed they were the hottest team in the league to finish the season.   Cle has good weapons, solid oline and good defense, but needs a QB and RB.   Anyway I just used them as an example.  The point is the cap has risen so much so many teams have the money to pay him what he is looking for and if signing Bell could get a non playoff team to the playoffs it is far from squandering cap room.

Edited by youngrice

21 minutes ago, youngrice said:

SF has the QB and their line got better as the year went on.  You must of missed they were the hottest team in the league to finish the season.   Cle has good weapons, solid oline and good defense, but needs a QB and RB.   Anyway I just used them as an example.  The point is the cap has risen so much so many teams have the money to pay him what he is looking for.

Hyperbole much? They finished with the

Win -Giants 1-8

Loss- Seahawks 7-4

W- Bears 3-9

W-Texans 4-9

W- Titans 8-6

W- JAX 10-5

W- rams but lets not kid ourselve the rams sat all of their starters

Aside from the jags which was an amazing win the rest of the wins were against crappy teams. Hardly what i would call the hottest team when the comp are just as bad as you.  Either way the Niners are not poised to make a run for the conference title and adding Bell doesnt get them there. They still need improvements on the o-line and defense. 

Bell needs to go to a team that has a legit shot at making a SB run with strong pieces already in place, they just need to get over the hump.

4 teams in conf finals Pats-Eagles-Minn-Jax only 1 of those teams had what people would call an elite rb so why would a team in rebuild mode spend a ton of money on Bell?  hoodie changes rb's like he changes underwear and he puts together winning teams . Makes no sense for a rebuild team to blow cap on a rb. 

Edited by dashoe

Honestly if not the Steelers the Lions would be a great fit.  They love their pass catching RBs and haven't had a real rusher in forever.  Bell would be just the guy to take them over the edge.  

48 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Hyperbole much? They finished with the

Win -Giants 1-8

Loss- Seahawks 7-4

W- Bears 3-9

W-Texans 4-9

W- Titans 8-6

W- JAX 10-5

W- rams but lets not kid ourselve the rams sat all of their starters

Aside from the jags which was an amazing win the rest of the wins were against crappy teams. Hardly what i would call the hottest team when the comp are just as bad as you.  Either way the Niners are not poised to make a run for the conference title and adding Bell doesnt get them there. They still need improvements on the o-line and defense. 

Bell needs to go to a team that has a legit shot at making a SB run with strong pieces already in place, they just need to get over the hump.

4 teams in conf finals Pats-Eagles-Minn-Jax only 1 of those teams had what people would call an elite rb so why would a team in rebuild mode spend a ton of money on Bell?  hoodie changes rb's like he changes underwear and he puts together winning teams . Makes no sense for a rebuild team to blow cap on a rb. 

Beathard started the first two.  Lets not count Rams game but it was still a win.  Still 4--0 when Jimmy started.  With wins over 2 playoff teams.  Thats pretty damn good finish.  I mean lets not play next year since the same teams are always in playoffs.  Oh yeah thats right from year to year teams get better or worse.  

Your absolute right Bell will not get the money he wants from any true contender besides his own in Pitt.  But thats the point he has not mentioned playing for a superbowl contender as a prerequisite.  All he says is he wants to correct the market for Rb's.  Guess every non playoff team should just pass on signing him since they don't have a chance.

Positive news...

Impending free agent Le'Veon Bell said he and the Steelers are in active contract talks and are "a lot closer" than they were last year.

Bell turned down an extension last year that would have guaranteed him $30 million over the first two years of the deal and paid around $12 million annually, which would have easily made him the league's highest-paid back. He played 2017 on the $12.1 million franchise tag. This year, the tag would cost around $14.5 million. Bell turns 26 next month. He's going to get paid either way.

Jan 24 - 12:21 PM

10 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Beathard started the first two.  Lets not count Rams game but it was still a win.  Still 4--0 when Jimmy started.  With wins over 2 playoff teams.  Thats pretty damn good finish.  I mean lets not play next year since the same teams are always in playoffs.  Oh yeah thats right from year to year teams get better or worse.  

Your absolute right Bell will not get the money he wants from any true contender besides his own in Pitt.  But thats the point he has not mentioned playing for a superbowl contender as a prerequisite.  All he says is he wants to correct the market for Rb's.  Guess every non playoff team should just pass on signing him since they don't have a chance.

And that is the crux of his  false premise. HE CAN'T DO IT. The mkt is what the mkt is.  No different than when you want to sell your house, if the market/buyers says it's worth 1MM today that is what u will get today even if thought you want 2mm. He is in a great situation and the steelers are not going to cripple their team to pay him what he wants to make. They are going to pay him what makes economic sense and any team will do the same regardless of their  extra cap room.  The contract they offered him last year would have made him the highest paid rb at the time, the contract they offer him this year will do the same regardless of what he thinks he is accomplishing on some sort of philosophical level the numbers are not going to magically change to suit his philosophy. 

I also really doubt Bell wants to play for a basement team and i i guarantee you that his new contract will be in line with what freeman got and what DJ will get and i bet you that his fake crusade will vanish when he cashes that check. he won't even be able to get a moral victory out of it. 

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

And that is the crux of his  false premise. HE CAN'T DO IT. The mkt is what the mkt is.  No different than when you want to sell your house, if the market/buyers says it's worth 1MM today that is what u will get today even if thought you want 2mm. He is in a great situation and the steelers are not going to cripple their team to pay him what he wants to make. They are going to pay him what makes economic sense and any team will do the same regardless of their  extra cap room.  The contract they offered him last year would have made him the highest paid rb at the time, the contract they offer him this year will do the same regardless of what he thinks he is accomplishing on some sort of philosophical level the numbers are not going to magically change to suit his philosophy. 

I also really doubt Bell wants to play for a basement team and i i guarantee you that his new contract will be in line with what freeman got and what DJ will get and i bet you that his fake crusade will vanish when he cashes that check. he won't even be able to get a moral victory out of it. 

Who's to say he can't.  Name the last top 3 RB to make it to the free agent market??  I can't remember one.  

Just now, youngrice said:

Who's to say he can't.  Name the last top 3 RB to make it to the free agent market??  I can't remember one.  

That's irrelevant. 

I know what the Steelers supposedly offered Bell last season 30mm guaranteed. I know what Freeman signed for in the preseason 22mm guaranteed . I know DJ will sign an extension in the offseason at the least or get resigned before FA at the worst and i know bell is negotiating his contract now.  I can speculate with certainty that bells new contract will be in line with what freeman got, what bell was offered and what DJ will get.  Basically  what the mkt is for their similar talents as rbs. What premium or pay reset is he looking to do beyond what has been offered or currently exists n the mkt?  

Demarco Murray

Edit: responding  to the last top 3 RB to hit FA.

Edited by dmb3684

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

Demarco Murray

Yeah I did think about him after I posted that.  But Demarco was never regarded as a top RB, he was considered a good RB that had a great contract year.  Bell is widely regard as one of the top 2 or 3 RB's for the past 3 years.  Plus as Demarco admitted he took less money to go to Philly(bad decision).

21 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Demarco Murray

It's a fair point to bring up. In fact, skill position players moving teams in FA almost never, ever works out. 

However, you still have to go case-by-case. DeMarco Murray was never thought of as a dominant RB -- at least that I can remember. He had that monster year for Dallas but the sentiment was he aided by that line...

Bell is one of the more skilled RB's in recent memory. He's going to get paid somewhere and I would not expect his production to fall. Besides, it's not like the Steelers' offense has been truly dominant in about 2 years now yet Bell continues to eat. If anything he has been the glue holding the team together along with Antonio Brown..

On 1/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, dashoe said:

Bell isnt a stud in a vacuum.

What? Do you watch football?

55 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

What? Do you watch football?

No I watch badminton which is probably why I very good at FANTASY football

• Confused 1

On January 25, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Jetdog16 said:

It's a fair point to bring up. In fact, skill position players moving teams in FA almost never, ever works out. 

Allen, Faulk, Holmes, Sproles, Lynch...come to mind right off the bat.

Edited by psygolf