Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, bwarbiany said:

That article, Fowler doesn't say that Bell told him he was coming back week 7. In that article, Fowler links to the article claiming "a source told ESPN". 

So you can claim he had an interview, but the guy who interviewed him just linked to the article and the "source", and didn't claim he told him he was coming back in week 7.

The week 7 return didn’t make much sense...

As of Sunday, the Steelers had heard nothing from Bell. The fact that the Steelers now believe Bell won’t show up implies that they have since heard something from Bell, and that the end result of the communication was that Bell won’t be showing up.”

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

The week 7 return didn’t make much sense...

As of Sunday, the Steelers had heard nothing from Bell. The fact that the Steelers now believe Bell won’t show up implies that they have since heard something from Bell, and that the end result of the communication was that Bell won’t be showing up.”

Absolutely nobody other than Bell knows when he will return. But he has said that he does want to return and will give it his all. He sounded very motivated in his interview.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Well, the "pay up" thing was never going to be a thing. The deadline to renegotiate for a long-term deal passed in July. After that point, it was basically "play this season for $14.5M or don't play at all". Everyone thought he was going to roll over and do so; he decided that he'd rather find a way to minimize the wear and tear on his body.

So his thought was to minimize the wear and tear and prepare himself for free agency and a long-term deal.

But Conner's performance somewhat screwed him. Conner performed well enough that Bell doesn't look like that much of an upgrade over replacement value. 

Ok that makes a lot more sense. I guess then his silence was more of a way to get back at the Steeler's organization after negotiations didn't go his way. Unfortunately, this "revenge" is fairly shortsighted since it has impacted his image significantly and allowed narratives about his shape, desire to play football and other things run wild. Working in his favor is that people tend to have relatively short memories and if he plays well upon returning most of it will be forgotten. 

39 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Which was taken as gospel in this thread ever since. As people told all of us "Bell said he's coming back week 7" or "Fowler reported that Bell is going to come back week 7, Bell must have told him so."

Some of us have been pointing out for those two weeks that it was all based on "a source told ESPN", and nothing ever came from Bell. Fowler was even particularly careful in both his article after talking to Bell and in a tweet to call out "a source told ESPN", rather than claiming direct knowledge.

And here we are, week 7. Granted, Bell still has until Saturday to prove that he's coming back week 7, but there's no sign of it so far, and the the Steelers organization don't believe it's happening.

Exactly and those of us have noted the speculation is just that have been laughed at like we’re crazy. I will believe that Bell will report when I see video of him at the Steelers facility. Even then, I won’t believe that he will play and be the guy for the Steelers until I see him out-touch Conner in a game. I’m not holding my breath for that to occur, either. 

Edited by Bill_Buckner
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, datsyuk said:

Absolutely nobody other than Bell knows when he will return. But he has said that he does want to return and will give it his all. He sounded very motivated in his interview.

I saw the video as PR to keep the trade discussion alive.  I like the week 10 thesis.

1 hour ago, Bill_Buckner said:

Exactly and those of us have noted the speculation is just that have been laughed at like we’re crazy. I will believe that Bell will report when I see video of him at the Steelers facility. Even then, I won’t believe that he will play and be the guy for the Steelers until I see him out-touch Conner in a game. I’m not holding my breath for that to occur, either. 

Low key am hoping for a 50-50 split in the back field just so Conner and Bell owners can be friends again and sing Kumbaya together around a campfire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Speak for yourself, Fantasy Gooroo.

As for Bell, the rose colored glasses his drafters are wearing keep shattering.  Because so few understand what is really going on, there is a great deal of gulibility on display every time ESPN breathlessly reports on Bell's impending arrival.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

"Source" reporting Bell will not return this week, according to our favorite sports tabloid ESPN. 

The Steelers have said they do not expect Bell to report this week.  Not a hidden source.  Possibly because they had negotiations with Bell's agent over compensation during the roster exemption period.  Negotiations that went nowhere.  Or they told Bell they had a trade in place that would happen at the moment Bell signed his tender.

Or any other number of reasons.  Conner's stellar play has rendered the whole Bell "will he or won't he?" drama moot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, datsyuk said:

I'm assuming you don't want him to come back regardless, seeing as you have James Conner on your fantasy team.

Dern tootin' I don't want him coming back! 

But my own bias aside, I can read. And what was clear, despite people wanting to believe otherwise, was that the news of him coming back was an unattributed source, not Bell or not even Fowler. 

So I gave that "source" it's due credibility. >0, but not by much. 

13 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Dern tootin' I don't want him coming back! 

But my own bias aside, I can read. And what was clear, despite people wanting to believe otherwise, was that the news of him coming back was an unattributed source, not Bell or not even Fowler. 

So I gave that "source" it's due credibility. >0, but not by much. 

Yea, nobody truly knows when he comes back. But he will be coming back before week 11, that much is sure.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Speak for yourself, Fantasy Gooroo.

As for Bell, the rose colored glasses his drafters are wearing keep shattering.  Because so few understand what is really going on, there is a great deal of gulibility on display every time ESPN breathlessly reports on Bell's impending arrival.

You’ve painted yourself into quite the corner.  

Very Cybernetic Ghostish.  

I hope you’re right but remain skeptical.  It does seem like this is all a sly hint to the Steelers that he is ready to sign if there’s an approved trade waiting.   Otherwise it’s week 10.   

Ben joking about conners last game with Le’veon returning I thought was telling.    Longshot to see Bell in week 8

Edited by Impreza178
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Ben joking about conners last game with Le’veon returning I thought was telling.    Longshot to see Bell in week 8

Long shot to see Bell on the field in week 8?  Is this a serious take?  At this point, it is a long shot to see Bell take another snap with Pittsburgh.

Yes Bell might report before week 11 to insure he reaches free agency in 2019, but there will be no particular reason for the Steelers not to low-ball him on the longest roster exemption they can swing, then have him practice with the scout team and not dress on game days.

I know this is hard to understand because Bell's fantasy owners want Bell to return so very badly.  But the Steelers have made it crystal clear that they do not share the same sentiment.  The Steelers could be rolling out the red carpet for Bell if they chose to.  They could tell Bell they won't trade him.  They could offer him his full salary during the roster exemption period.  They could say things publicly like "Bell is critical to our success and we want him back on the team as soon as possible."  Those types of moves, even offering his back pay for games missed, would be incentives for Bell to report.  Instead they doing everything they can to keep him under their control but away from the team.  

And Bell owners are still talking about how many carries Bell might get in week 8.  Don't you guys get it???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

I hope you’re right but remain skeptical.  It does seem like this is all a sly hint to the Steelers that he is ready to sign if there’s an approved trade waiting.   Otherwise it’s week 10.   

It's entirely possible that the week 7 leak was done by Bell's people to see what the Steelers would do. When they kept hinting at trades, he knew it wasn't safe to come back week 7. He might have been floating a trial balloon to see if they wanted him back to play in Pittsburgh or to ship him away. 

However, if that's the case, it suggests [as I said with my scenarios] that he's either coming back before Oct 30 for a sign & trade that he approves, or he's not returning until after Oct 31.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

It's entirely possible that the week 7 leak was done by Bell's people to see what the Steelers would do. When they kept hinting at trades, he knew it wasn't safe to come back week 7. He might have been floating a trial balloon to see if they wanted him back to play in Pittsburgh or to ship him away. 

However, if that's the case, it suggests [as I said with my scenarios] that he's either coming back before Oct 30 for a sign & trade that he approves, or he's not returning until after Oct 31.

Indeed-  very possible he was gauging their reaction or feeling out what teams were being discussed as potential suitors.      

27 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Long shot to see Bell on the field in week 8?  Is this a serious take?  At this point, it is a long shot to see Bell take another snap with Pittsburgh.

Yes Bell might report before week 11 to insure he reaches free agency in 2019, but there will be no particular reason for the Steelers not to low-ball him on the longest roster exemption they can swing, then have him practice with the scout team and not dress on game days.

I know this is hard to understand because Bell's fantasy owners want Bell to return so very badly.  But the Steelers have made it crystal clear that they do not share the same sentiment.  The Steelers could be rolling out the red carpet for Bell if they chose to.  They could tell Bell they won't trade him.  They could offer him his full salary during the roster exemption period.  They could say things publicly like "Bell is critical to our success and we want him back on the team as soon as possible."  Those types of moves, even offering his back pay for games missed, would be incentives for Bell to report.  Instead they doing everything they can to keep him under their control but away from the team.  

And Bell owners are still talking about how many carries Bell might get in week 8.  Don't you guys get it???

Do you have sources backing these claims that the Steelers are going to do ANY of these stall tactics?    Or that he won’t be welcome back week 8 if he doesn’t report early for week 7?     It’s nice that you’re sure Sharky, but I think most would like some kind of evidence other than internet poster reading the tea leaves.    

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

The sources have all been quoted in this thread.  I am going by what the Steelers have said publicly.

But since there is so much noise happening over this player, some honest analysis is necessary.  Reading tea leaves seems more like astrology and palm reading and tarot cards.  

• Like 1

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

The sources have all been quoted in this thread.  I am going by what the Steelers have said publicly.

But since there is so much noise happening over this player, some honest analysis is necessary.  Reading tea leaves seems more like astrology and palm reading and tarot cards.  

I don’t mean to be rude or dismissive, and appreciate your insight as always...but the Steelers are playing their cards just like Bell is playing his.   This hand could go a lot of ways .     

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Do you have sources backing these claims that the Steelers are going to do ANY of these stall tactics?    Or that he won’t be welcome back week 8 if he doesn’t report early for week 7?     It’s nice that you’re sure Sharky, but I think most would like some kind of evidence other than internet poster reading the tea leaves.    

Well, they did publicly state they'd seek the roster exemption, but that was weeks and weeks ago, so it's unclear whether that statement is still valid. 

That said, based on the tea leaves we've seen so far, everything the Steelers have said and done suggest that they're moving on:

1) Tomlin's repeatedly said he's not thinking about the Bell situation, he's focusing on who's actually on the team.

2) Everyone from the Steelers brass to the coaching staff to the players have said they haven't heard from Bell. The only one who deviated slightly from that as far as I know is AB, who was asked if he'd been in contact with Bell and deflected the questions, so I don't know if that's yea or nay.

3) Comments from players have all been extremely positive about Conner. It's clear he's earned their trust and just giving Bell the reins immediately might cause untold locker room damage.

4) There have been numerous reports that they're shopping a trade.

5) Conner is playing well.

So yes, it's tea leaves, and Shark is speaking as if his analysis is fact. Just as a lot of Bell owners are saying Conner is going to get shuffled off to obscurity once Bell returns, and speaking as if their analysis is fact.

I tend not to do that personally, but my read of the tea leaves would put more probability on the Steelers using stall tactics at this point. I think Bell has critically damaged the relationship there and they might try to get the roster exemption [and not pay him] out of spite. As stated upthread, I don't think they want to give him the satisfaction of getting an audition for FA right now. And the team is starting to round into form with Conner in the lead role, so it's not like they're desperate for Bell to come back. 

Stall tactics save them money and hurt Bell, both things that I think would make the Steelers brass happy.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I don’t mean to be rude or dismissive, and appreciate your insight as always...but the Steelers are playing their cards just like Bell is playing his.   This hand could go a lot of ways .     

I actually disagree pretty strongly.  It is obvious to me what is happening and how this is all going to play out.  I always considered the idea that Bell would report during week 7 to be hot garbage, and I have said so since it first came out.  The Steelers are done with Bell, with a capital "D."

Here's one way to figure out who you should listen to:  go back in this thread to September 4th and 5th.  Those were the critical days when Bell had not reported and we were all trying to figure out what to do.  Read what each forum member wrote then.  Who's predictions were correct (at least up until now) and whose predictions look hilarious from our perspective here on October 16th?  

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That is a lot of words to say that you agree with Impreza's take that Bell is a long shot to play week 8.  If you think he will at best come back week 10, then surely he is a long shot to play week 8, no?  

As much as you would like to believe that your incredible deductive skills have lead you to the truth of the situation (actually, you will probably say that anyone with half a brain should have already come to the same conclusions), nothing released to the press from either side can really be trusted.  That leaves interpreting Bell's actions and guessing at his psyche/true intentions.  The degree of your certainty regarding this situation comes off as irrational and it detracts from the validity of your arguments.  You may end up being correct, but pretending like you've gotten to the truth at this point is silly.

Bell may not play another down for the Steelers.  He could also come back week 10 and be in an RBBC with Conner.  I can't see him not playing hard (if and when he plays) because he will be auditioning for a big payday.  Behaving differently would be counterproductive to his best interests and the RBBC would keep both RB's fresh. Alternatively, he might get traded.  Or maybe he has burned too many bridges in Pit and when he signs week 10, the Steelers use the roster exemption provision (assuming he is not in game shape), withhold a game check or two because of it, and let him ride the pine because they have moved on.  Or maybe the Steelers decide to keep Conner fresh for next year and run Bell into the ground after he reports (unlikely).  I don't pretend to know, but I wouldn't be shocked with any of those scenarios.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

We get it, you own James Conner and don't want Le'Veon to come back. Now why don't you take that **** over to the Conner forum. It's extremely annoying hearing Bell haters' pessimistic opinions in here.

• Like 2