Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

39 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I don't understand... how could he hold out longer than Week 10?  He wouldn't be a FA then, right?

I’m not as informed as some on this topic, but I’m under the impression that he could hold out the entire season and still be an unrestricted free agent as long as Pittsburgh does not franchise tag him again. Hard to imagine why they would. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

35 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I don't understand... how could he hold out longer than Week 10?  He wouldn't be a FA then, right?

He would, unless the Steelers tag him again. They could tag him again at essentially the same price as this year. It's questionable whether they'd do that. My belief is that they'd tag him with the transition tag rather than the exclusive, which wild allow him to negotiate with other teams and would ensure they get compensation (draft picks) when they don't match his other offer. But not reporting is a risk for Bell as they could slap the exclusive on him again if they wanted to. 

The key is that if he reports by Nov 13, this year counts. If they tried to tag him next year, they'd have to pay him QB money and pretty much everyone agrees that's not going to happen. So if he reports, he's essentially assured of getting either the transition tag or outright FA status next year. 

50 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Bell and his team may gamble that Pittsburgh will not tag Bell again in 2019.  But to get an accrued season, he does need six games.

23 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

He would, unless the Steelers tag him again. They could tag him again at essentially the same price as this year. It's questionable whether they'd do that. My belief is that they'd tag him with the transition tag rather than the exclusive, which wild allow him to negotiate with other teams and would ensure they get compensation (draft picks) when they don't match his other offer. But not reporting is a risk for Bell as they could slap the exclusive on him again if they wanted to. 

The key is that if he reports by Nov 13, this year counts. If they tried to tag him next year, they'd have to pay him QB money and pretty much everyone agrees that's not going to happen. So if he reports, he's essentially assured of getting either the transition tag or outright FA status next year. 

Isn’t there a huge risk for Pittsburgh using the transition tag? If they use that and nobody matches/beats their offer, they could be stuck paying an exorbitant amount of money to a malcontent RB the team doesn’t really want/need, right? I can’t believe Pittsburgh actually wants Bell anymore. Seems like that ship has sailed. They’re much better off parting ways with him and moving forward with Conner. 

Peter King was on WEEI yesterday and said there are NFL team(s) that really want to trade for Bell right now, but they cannot sign him beyond this season at this point and they already know how much money he’s demanding for a contract beyond this season. They don’t want to pay him that much, so it’s not worth trading a high draft pick for a late season RB rental in a new offense, especially ine who presumably isn’t in top football conditioning. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Isn’t there a huge risk for Pittsburgh using the transition tag? If they use that and nobody matches/beats their offer, they could be stuck paying an exorbitant amount of money to a malcontent RB the team doesn’t really want/need, right? I can’t believe Pittsburgh actually wants Bell anymore. Seems like that ship has sailed. They’re much better off parting ways with him and moving forward with Conner. 

Good point. I forgot about the fact that if nobody else offers him his long term deal, they're stuck with him. So there is a big risk with the non-exclusive tag. 

So did you all catch up to Bells twitter? Concerning JuJus attempt to get Bell back? 

29 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Good point. I forgot about the fact that if nobody else offers him his long term deal, they're stuck with him. So there is a big risk with the non-exclusive tag. 

Can the transition tag be rescinded?

14 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

So did you all catch up to Bells twitter? Concerning JuJus attempt to get Bell back? 

Dont leave us hanging dude

I didn't say it means much but his relationship with the team is next to none

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I didn't say it means much but his relationship with the team is next to none

You don’t know jack about what goes on in any locker rooms. 

• Haha 1

Bell has to be on fully paid status for six weeks for 2018 to be an accrued season.  Inactive on gameday is fully paid status.  But roster exempt is not fully paid status.  So the clock is running out on Bell.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bell has to be on fully paid status for six weeks for 2018 to be an accrued season.  Inactive on gameday is fully paid status.  But roster exempt is not fully paid status.  So the clock is running out on Bell.

I'm guessing Le'Veon and his agent are well aware of their strategy and the NFL rules. 

• Haha 1

Anyone trading him? Worried we won’t see him until week 12. Reports late as possible (week 10). 2 week exempt list pushes us to week 12. Eases back in for at least a week. Maybe full game week 13 and beyond...

Just now, Saltyseabass said:

Anyone trading him? Worried we won’t see him until week 12. Reports late as possible (week 10). 2 week exempt list pushes us to week 12. Eases back in for at least a week. Maybe full game week 13 and beyond...

He will likely not play a down for the Steelers this year. 

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe he won’t be playing for Steelers at all. He can just get tagged for the same amount next year for the same price 

1 minute ago, Saltyseabass said:

I find it hard to believe he won’t be playing for Steelers at all. He can just get tagged for the same amount next year for the same price 

I'm finding it easier and easier to believe everyday since I traded for him, really starting to have buyers remorse. Got Conner too, so at least I have Steelers backfield, but the situation certainly hasn't improved at all between him and the team.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Saltyseabass said:

bell is out 6.5 million dollars so far. he's holding out to make money. makes total sense. man should teach economics at wharton.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

He will likely not play a down for the Steelers this year. 

Bell will report after the trade deadline because he doesn't want to be traded to a team that might hurt his value going into next season.

Bell only wants to play for the Steelers this season.   And the Steelers are not going to pay him lots of money and then sit him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-trade-rumors-steelers-rb-not-planning-to-report-this-week-waiting-for-nfl-trade-deadline/

The other target date is following Week 8, immediately after the trade deadline (Tuesday, Oct 30 at 4 p.m. ET). Bell might see that as the prime leverage spot, because returning on Tuesday afternoon or on Wednesday morning would nullify the Steelers' ability to trade him. Without Bell signing his tender, the Steelers can't send him anywhere. I'm not sure a trade would be bad, per se, but Bell might want the security of playing in Pittsburgh's offense the final eight or nine weeks of the regular season, knowing he can come in late, pick things up fairly seamlessly and produce at a high level. Struggling on a new team would be a red flag in free agency. 

4 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Bell will report after the trade deadline because he doesn't want to be traded to a team that might hurt his value going into next season.

Bell only wants to play for the Steelers this season.   And the Steelers are not going to pay him lots of money and then sit him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-trade-rumors-steelers-rb-not-planning-to-report-this-week-waiting-for-nfl-trade-deadline/

The other target date is following Week 8, immediately after the trade deadline (Tuesday, Oct 30 at 4 p.m. ET). Bell might see that as the prime leverage spot, because returning on Tuesday afternoon or on Wednesday morning would nullify the Steelers' ability to trade him. Without Bell signing his tender, the Steelers can't send him anywhere. I'm not sure a trade would be bad, per se, but Bell might want the security of playing in Pittsburgh's offense the final eight or nine weeks of the regular season, knowing he can come in late, pick things up fairly seamlessly and produce at a high level. Struggling on a new team would be a red flag in free agency. 

Believing any sort of article is pointless at this stage. They all spout BS rumors and opinions from people who know as much as my dog. 

At this point it doesn't matter what Bell wants. At the end of the day the Steelers are now in control of what Bell does if he returns. Teams have paid players a bunch of money before only to have someone making less take the job. The Steelers will use whoever gives them a better shot at winning. 

But again this is all speculation. Up to this point everyone has been wrong. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Believing any sort of article is pointless at this stage. They all spout BS rumors and opinions from people who know as much as my dog. 

At this point it doesn't matter what Bell wants. At the end of the day the Steelers are now in control of what Bell does if he returns. Teams have paid players a bunch of money before only to have someone making less take the job. The Steelers will use whoever gives them a better shot at winning. 

But again this is all speculation. Up to this point everyone has been wrong. 

I like dogs

• Thanks 1