Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

8 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Believing any sort of article is pointless at this stage. They all spout BS rumors and opinions from people who know as much as my dog. 

At this point it doesn't matter what Bell wants. At the end of the day the Steelers are now in control of what Bell does if he returns. Teams have paid players a bunch of money before only to have someone making less take the job. The Steelers will use whoever gives them a better shot at winning. 

But again this is all speculation. Up to this point everyone has been wrong. 

The article lists possible outcomes.   Playing for the Steelers after the deadline makes the most sense at this point.

Le'Veon gives the Steelers an All Pro RB when he comes back.   And Connor has proven valuable so I don't see him sitting.

Looks like they will be sharing playing time. 

4 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

I like dogs

I like you. Wanna have a sleepover? 

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The article lists possible outcomes.   Playing for the Steelers after the deadline makes the most sense at this point.

Le'Veon gives the Steelers an All Pro RB when he comes back.   And Connor has proven valuable so I don't see him sitting.

Looks like they will be sharing playing time. 

You should hang out with @Shortnphat more often. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

I like you. Wanna have a sleepover? 

You should hang out with @Shortnphat more often. 

Always good times in the forums 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I'm guessing Le'Veon and his agent are well aware of their strategy and the NFL rules. 

You say that...and you're probably right. But just about every year there's a tie, some player reveals that he didn't even know a game could end in a tie. It was a Steelers player this year, it was Donovan McNabb back in 2008. Sometimes people shock us about what they don't know about the rules of their own league.

• Thanks 2

Interesting... https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/17/17984660/the-leveon-bell-saga-separating-fact-from-fiction-news-rumors-holdout-franchise-tag-nfl-update

**EDIT: Since this article was published, Joel Corry of CBS Sports has clarified a misconception he originally reported. After confirming with the CBA (Article 10, Section 15 Item c), if Bell does not sign his tender this season there will be some changes to the Steelers options for 2019. Even though he never played under the second franchise tag, it will still be considered a third franchise tag if the Steelers choose to use it. Since it is the third tag for Le’Veon Bell, it can only be the exclusive tag and he would be eligible for the QB tag amount of over $20 million. If the Steelers use the transition tag, it will be the same as 2018 pending litigation if necessary.**

This is the first I've seen this reported anywhere, but given that it's sourced and cited, it gives you the ability to read the actual portions here:

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

But it actually seems to be correct to me [note: I am not a lawyer]. It appears that if the Steelers were to designate Bell a franchise player in 2019, he's considered a "third" designation whether he plays in 2018 or not. So they'd owe him QB-level pay if they choose to do so. 

Also note that he doesn't have to accrue a season for FA. He has 5 accrued seasons, more than enough to be an unrestricted free agent. 

• Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Bell will report after the trade deadline because he doesn't want to be traded to a team that might hurt his value going into next season.

Bell only wants to play for the Steelers this season.   And the Steelers are not going to pay him lots of money and then sit him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-trade-rumors-steelers-rb-not-planning-to-report-this-week-waiting-for-nfl-trade-deadline/

The other target date is following Week 8, immediately after the trade deadline (Tuesday, Oct 30 at 4 p.m. ET). Bell might see that as the prime leverage spot, because returning on Tuesday afternoon or on Wednesday morning would nullify the Steelers' ability to trade him. Without Bell signing his tender, the Steelers can't send him anywhere. I'm not sure a trade would be bad, per se, but Bell might want the security of playing in Pittsburgh's offense the final eight or nine weeks of the regular season, knowing he can come in late, pick things up fairly seamlessly and produce at a high level. Struggling on a new team would be a red flag in free agency. 

If I put myself in his shoes, I do not want to be traded unless it came with a long term guaranteed contract.

By not showing up until after the deadline, he controls his destiny.

Fascinating.  So Bell does not need to report at all this year to avoid being tagged.  We were all off the track all along.  Now it seems even less likely that Bell will play for the Steelers this season.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Fascinating.  So Bell does not need to report at all this year to avoid being tagged.  We were all off the track all along.  Now it seems even less likely that Bell will play for the Steelers this season.

Ok...i see that article now......I just dont see that being ideal for anyone...especially a player who wants a long term deal.

Edited by TheJuggernautBTCH

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The lack of logic is amazing in this thread.

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The lack of logic is amazing in this thread.

How do you figure?  We all thought Bell would have to report this year to avoid a repeat second tag in 2019, but this article says that the Steelers have to use a third tag on him next year whether he reports or not.  That changes everything.  So it is a lack of...logic?

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

How do you figure?  We all thought Bell would have to report this year to avoid a repeat second tag in 2019, but this article says that the Steelers have to use a third tag on him next year whether he reports or not.  That changes everything.  So it is a lack of...logic?

Why would Bell not report after the deadline at this point ?   What good would that do him.

And why would the Steelers want to go through this again next season at a QB's salary no less ?

7 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Why would Bell not report after the deadline at this point ?   What good would that do him.

And why would the Steelers want to go through this again next season at a QB's salary no less ?

I don't know what Bell is going to do, but to answer your questions:

1. So that he won't get injured.  He will also remove the risk of looking equal to or worse than Conner if he plays this year (regardless of how likely you think this is, it is still a risk).

2. The point is that there is no way the Steeler's would franchise tag him a third time so he would become an unrestricted free agent.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

What good would it do him to report and risk injury? Question goes both ways. 

And the Steelers wouldn't go through this next season. They'd dump him. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

What good would it do him to report and risk injury? Question goes both ways. 

And the Steelers wouldn't go through this next season. They'd dump him. 

If Bell reports,  he becomes a free agent (which is the goal) while minimizing the risk of injury playing a shortened schedule.

And the Steelers will "NOT" tag him again next year at the money equal to a QB's salary.   This is kind of obvious.

We know they don't want to pay a RB a large salary.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

If Bell reports,  he becomes a free agent (which is the goal) while minimizing the risk of injury playing a shortened schedule.

And the Steelers will "NOT" tag him again next year at the money equal to a QB's salary.   This is kind of obvious.

Wrong.  Bell is almost certain to be an unrestricted free agent in 2019 whether he reports or not.  Apparently the Steelers would have to use a third (QB) tag on him in 2019 even if Bell does not accrue a season here in 2018.

• Like 2

You keep reiterating this but I don't think you understand. 

The Steelers CAN tag him at a QB's salary. They do not HAVE to. With the emergence of Conner, they do not need Bell, and will not tag him, and will let him become an UFA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Keep reading here, keep having questions run through my head. 

Im winning without him but at this point, I’m tempted to trade him for an upgrade anyways

If Bell reports,  he becomes a free agent (which is the goal)

Bell is already a free agent. You need 4 accrued seasons to be an unrestricted free agent. He has 5. The only thing stopping from negotiating his FA contract was his franchise tag last year ($12.1M in guaranteed) and then his 2nd franchise tag this year ($14.5M in guaranteed salary). To keep him from being able to negotiate next year, they'd have to give him a 3rd franchise tag next year (QB money, or >$20M/yr). If he doesn't play in 2018 and the Steelers don't elect to tag him again, he'd automatically be able to exercise his FA rights and negotiate.

We've been arguing for weeks that if he doesn't report at all in 2018, the Steelers would be able to tag him again at the $14.5M salary. Thus if he wanted to force the Steelers to have the >$20M price tag in 2019, he'd have to report by Nov 13. It appears that we've all [myself included] been mistaken on this point. That regardless of whether he plays or not, the cost of tagging him would be $20M in 2019, which is obviously not what he wants.

Based on this, his best move may be to not report at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

So I'm pretty sure you're trolling at this point, but in case you aren't...

In either case Bell will be a a free agent.  In the first scenario it is because he signs and the Steelers can't franchise tag him.  In the second scenario it is because (as you have noted multiple times), the Steelers will "NOT" tag him (due to the cost).  I'm not sure why you put NOT in quotes.  It's confusing me.

On top of that, only in the second scenario (sitting out the entire season) is he exposed to no risk of football-related injury.

That being said he may want to play a little this year to remind teams how good he is.  But only Bell knows what Bell is thinking (and maybe...maybe his agent). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

Bell is already a free agent. You need 4 accrued seasons to be an unrestricted free agent. He has 5. The only thing stopping from negotiating his FA contract was his franchise tag last year ($12.1M in guaranteed) and then his 2nd franchise tag this year ($14.5M in guaranteed salary). To keep him from being able to negotiate next year, they'd have to give him a 3rd franchise tag next year (QB money, or >$20M/yr). If he doesn't play in 2018 and the Steelers don't elect to tag him again, he'd automatically be able to exercise his FA rights and negotiate.

We've been arguing for weeks that if he doesn't report at all in 2018, the Steelers would be able to tag him again at the $14.5M salary. Thus if he wanted to force the Steelers to have the >$20M price tag in 2019, he'd have to report by Nov 13. It appears that we've all [myself included] been mistaken on this point. That regardless of whether he plays or not, the cost of tagging him would be $20M in 2019, which is obviously not what he wants.

Yep.

I've thought since early this season that there was no better than a 50/50 shot he'd play at all this year, but with the information you've provided I think it's closer to 80/20 odds he sits all year.

Bell really doesn't have anything to gain by coming back, nor do the Steelers.  The only mutually beneficial scenario would be a trade, though that doesn't really change the equation for Bell and, as noted, there's little incentive for any other teams to invest significant draft capital in a half season rental.

Bell owners (I am one, but have Conner on that team too - and it's going nowhere) really need to emotionally prepare themselves for the chance/likelihood that Bell misses all of 2018.

5 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

Bell is looking for a multi year deal with a lot of guaranteed money.   I don't see him sitting out the year as the best way to get what he wants.

There was a rumor Bell was reporting for the 7th week but got wind of a potential trade to the Eagles after they restructured Malcolm Jenkins contract.

It seems obvious at least to me,  that Bell will report after the deadline to show teams he's still worth signing to a big deal.

Bell wants to play in the Steelers offense before entering free agency.   

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Bell is looking for a multi year deal with a lot of guaranteed money.   I don't see him sitting out the year as the best way to get what he wants.

There was a rumor Bell was reporting for the 7th week but got wind of a potential trade to the Eagles after they restructured Malcolm Jenkins contract.

It seems obvious at least to me,  that Bell will report after the deadline to show teams he's still worth signing to a big deal.

Where?

i have an offer on table to get rid of bell and am debating

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Bell may want that, but do the Steelers?  They have made it pretty clear that they will put as many roadblocks up as possible.