Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ponchosox said:

IIR last year at this time he publicly said he would report for week one. This time he denies reporting on Labor Day. 

 All he said was he didn’t say anything- not that he would or would not report at any time.  No reason to look into it any further. 

 

The more logical thing to consider is this- do you really believe he’s going to start sacrificing 1 million per game to sit out before reporting? Almost 0 chance. If anything at all, the concern would be if during the season he babies injuries, but again it’s in his best interest to put up his best season yet and demand a crazy contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

 

 

Tea leaves are very real, and reading them has been practiced in China for thousands of years. My cup tells me Bell will be traded to the Stark family and play for Winterfell.

 

b9662d2488dba968cd4d82c82c47ecf2a68e48ba

Sir Le'veon Bongslayer

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SportsBrain said:

 All he said was he didn’t say anything- not that he would or would not report at any time.  No reason to look into it any further. 

 

The more logical thing to consider is this- do you really believe he’s going to start sacrificing 1 million per game to sit out before reporting? Almost 0 chance. If anything at all, the concern would be if during the season he babies injuries, but again it’s in his best interest to put up his best season yet and demand a crazy contract. 

Saying nothing vs saying he will report are two different things. With each passing day without news about him reporting makes the situation more uncertain. He started off very poorly for the first three games last year just by showing up late for week one. There’s no reason for panic but there should be some concern.

Edited by Ponchosox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ponchosox said:

Saying nothing vs saying he will report are two different things. With each passing day without news about him reporting makes the situation more uncertain. He started off very poorly for the first three games last year just by showing up late for week one. There’s no reason for panic but there should be some concern.

 

Again, if you are concerned with a slow start that is different than not reporting. With that said, even w a slow start he was the #2 RB overall in ppr. He is getting paid 1 million a game to play football this year, I’d bet a very very large amount of money he does not sit out games intentionally. The only report that mentioned this was Schefter, which just happened to come out before the contract deadline, meaning it’s very likely it was fed to him to try to motivate Pitt to pay him. He didn’t know going into last year that Pitt was definitely done with him, and has a different kind of motivation going into the season.  This is my last post, no reason to convince people further. Feel free to take other players who don’t have more than 1 proven top season over him and see how it works out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own bell right now and each passing day gets more nerve racking! Especially since I owned David Johnson last year I don't want my early pick to flop again.  I'm not worried though, I think he will report as last minute as possible.  I do hope he's in top shape though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He ain’t playing week 1 lol. Steelers organization don’t wanna pay him his loyalties,but welcome him back with open arms to start. Sounds like Wall Street business to me! Why should he be loyal back. I drafted James Conner as my last pick due what I’m seeing before all this funny business

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SportsBrain said:

 

What writing on the wall? We actually saw the exact same situation last year, so you should be even less concerned. He’s also getting paid more this year- ~1mm a game, and also has a contract to play for. People are just reading too much into this. 

I understand what you are saying but it isn't about the $1M more he might be making, it is the fact he doesn't have a long term contract and the team seems reluctant to give him that. Or at least something that they can agree on long term and some guaranteed money.

 

He doesn't want to play for a "prove-it" 1-year contract/franchise because if he gets injured he has nothing for next year. 

 

The point is he wants long term commitment from the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watitdookie said:

He ain’t playing week 1 lol. Steelers organization don’t wanna pay him his loyalties,but welcome him back with open arms to start. Sounds like Wall Street business to me! Why should he be loyal back. I drafted James Conner as my last pick due what I’m seeing before all this funny business

Did I miss something where this is a fact?  Do you have a link? Please post it.

 

Reality is PIT wants to win. They want a home playoff game (which means $$$) and a better chance to go deep in the playoffs.

 

Having Bell makes this more likely.  If Bell reports he will play. The question is, when will he report?

Edited by Big Nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell won't get a long-term commitment from the Steelers. His only options are forfeit most of the guaranteed money from the franchise tag and show up halfway through the season and hope he doesn't injured in the remaining games or show up week 1 and collect the entire franchise tag guaranteed salary and hope he doesn't get injured.

 

The smart move is to play and collect the guaranteed money. If he forfeits most of it he still has to play a bunch of games to accrue a season. He could still suffer a career ending injury and miss out on that money he forfeited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Did I miss something where this is a fact?  Do you have a link? Please post it.

 

Reality is PIT wants to win. They want a home playoff game (which means $$$) and a better chance to go deep in the playoffs.

 

Having Bell makes this more likely.  If Bell reports he will play. The question is, when will he report?

There’s no article! Just my 2 cents! But there is a video of James Harrison stating his 2 cents in the situation that I agree with. And if I were bell I’d play hardball and see how they do without him the first couple of games without him. I know this ain’t words you guys don’t want to hear but this a business league. No one is winning in this situation except for James Conner, who I think highly after, especially for a guy who beat cancer willing to glorify his story in the nfl

Edited by Watitdookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have Rookies and Triple A members trying to tell us the future.  Best not listen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only interesting sidenote about the annual which day will Bell  return is, that this season he does it with a new OC on the staff.   Presumably the Steelers must be keeping the bulk of their playbook intact which means will be the usual plug and play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Watitdookie said:

There’s no article! Just my 2 cents! But there is a video of James Harrison stating his 2 cents in the situation that I agree with. And if I were bell I’d play hardball and see how they do without him the first couple of games without him. I know this ain’t words you guys don’t want to hear but this a business league. No one is winning in this situation except for James Conner, who I think highly after, especially for a guy who beat cancer willing to glorify his story in the nfl

 

Bell sitting would do nothing but hurt his reputation and cost him a lot of money. He didn't get the money he wanted, but he's being payed $14.5m to go out there and ball out this year and I think he'll do just that. 

 

I love the James Conner story, but as long as Bell is on the roster he's pretty irrelevant. They didn't tag Bell at 2x the $ of any RB in the league to not give him 400 touches again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

 

Bell sitting would do nothing but hurt his reputation and cost him a lot of money. He didn't get the money he wanted, but he's being payed $14.5m to go out there and ball out this year and I think he'll do just that. 

 

I love the James Conner story, but as long as Bell is on the roster he's pretty irrelevant. They didn't tag Bell at 2x the $ of any RB in the league to not give him 400 touches again. 

I don’t think it would damage it reputation at all. Steelers we’re giving him 10 million annually if he agreed to contract when he can chose to be franchises tag at 14 million. Steelers don’t want to break the bank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/james-harrison-thinks-leveon-bell-should-sit-out-to-protect-himself/

 

It's not about what he can make this year in salary.  

 

It's about what he can lose moving forward if he gets hurt.   

 

In that video, they compare the Steeler's franchise tag offer to the the guaranteed money that Todd Gurley got ($45m).  If todd gurley gets hurt, he's got 45mil. 

 

So wrapping this up, it is short sighted to say that he will lose money this season.  There is a high injury risk in playing football at the pro level and it ain't worth it for the best running back in the league.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/james-harrison-thinks-leveon-bell-should-sit-out-to-protect-himself/

 

It's not about what he can make this year in salary.  

 

It's about what he can lose moving forward if he gets hurt.   

 

In that video, they compare the Steeler's franchise tag offer to the the guaranteed money that Todd Gurley got ($45m).  If todd gurley gets hurt, he's got 45mil. 

 

So wrapping this up, it is short sighted to say that he will lose money this season.  There is a high injury risk in playing football at the pro level and it ain't worth it for the best running back in the league.  

Bell has to play a certain number of games this season to accrue a season towards FA. Otherwise the Steelers can keep him next season. The injury risk is going to be there regardless since he will eventually have to play a certain number of games. And missing so much time the chance of injury tends to be higher for players getting re-adjusted to taking hits. That is why we see so many injuries in preseason and the first couple weeks of the regular season.

 

The teams hold all of the leverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Watitdookie said:

I were bell I’d play hardball and see how they do without him the first couple of games without him. I know this ain’t words you guys don’t want to hear but this a business league.

Wait... so we do, or we don't want to hear the words you would play hardball if you were Bell???

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Wait... so we do, or we don't want to hear the words you would play hardball if you were Bell???

Let’s just wait and see how the situation plays out. I believe holding out of training camp is already considered playing hard ball lmao. What do you think Khalil Mack is doing? Nothing to see here just troll along lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Watitdookie said:

Let’s just wait and see how the situation plays out. I believe holding out of training camp is already considered playing hard ball lmao. What do you think Khalil Mack is doing? Nothing to see here just troll along lol.

 

Bell did the same thing last year and then started every game. Playing hardball would be a lost cause because that fight is over; he’s not getting the long term contract he wants from the Steelers and no amount of sitting will change that. He’s being a little spiteful right now, but that’s no different from last year. I believe he will be a workhorse this year and earn his $14.5m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, devaster said:

Bell has to play a certain number of games this season to accrue a season towards FA. Otherwise the Steelers can keep him next season. The injury risk is going to be there regardless since he will eventually have to play a certain number of games. And missing so much time the chance of injury tends to be higher for players getting re-adjusted to taking hits. That is why we see so many injuries in preseason and the first couple weeks of the regular season.

 

The teams hold all of the leverage.

 

Which is why Harrison said in the video that he should just sit out for a bit, report later on, half a** it and preserve himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P@ckersFan said:

 

Bell did the same thing last year and then started every game. Playing hardball would be a lost cause because that fight is over; he’s not getting the long term contract he wants from the Steelers and no amount of sitting will change that. He’s being a little spiteful right now, but that’s no different from last year. I believe he will be a workhorse this year and earn his $14.5m. 

I went with the conservative route and said lets wait and see out the situation plays out lol. If the fight was over then he would’ve been in camp right now! But like I said let’s see how this plays out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the player, but the situation sucks.  My draft is tonight and I can guarantee unless something changes between now and then he will not be on my team.  At this point we don't even know when he'll play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting so pizzed! Two leagues now I draft Lev Bell @ 2 and 3 spots. James Conner getting drafted in like rounds 12-13 is killing me!!!!!!!! Hate trading for a cuff but may have to do it sooner rather than later for insurance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Watitdookie said:

He ain’t playing week 1 lol. Steelers organization don’t wanna pay him his loyalties,but welcome him back with open arms to start. Sounds like Wall Street business to me! Why should he be loyal back. I drafted James Conner as my last pick due what I’m seeing before all this funny business

"Don't wanna pay him his loyalties"? They offered him a deal that would have made him the highest paid RB by a wide margin and he turned it down. His asking price is ludicrous for a guy who has rarely finished a season/not been suspended in his career.

 

I agree on Conner though. Great pick

Edited by hubbell525

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.