Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Hopefully its a keeper league!

Dude is very young, and is going to perhaps have to carry even more weight when Big Ben finally decides to retire...which is coming soon.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
Removed CSB
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Someone just traded Lindsay for Bell. Redraft of course. 

Kind of an insult.

To Lindsay.

• Like 3

Well if the #1 pick of my draft isn’t playing this year, I guess I’ll just have to drop him and FoolishAgitatedCrossbill-size_restricted

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The franchise tag needs to be reevaluated during the next CBA.  It was intentionally meant to allow teams to keep a player if they need just a little bit more time to work out a deal; not to string players along for 2-3 years.

One of the biggest issue with the franchise tag IMO is the random deadline of not being able to work on a new deal anymore (Mid-end of July I think it was).  I think Bell 100% gets traded if the team that trades for him can offer him an extension during the season.  He probably would have shown up for week 1 games if there was a possibility of the Steelers and his agent to continue to work on a new deal as the season progresses.  

Edited by Hero202
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jadakid said:

Well if the #1 pick of my draft isn’t playing this year, I guess I’ll just have to drop him and FoolishAgitatedCrossbill-size_restricted

That's who the Steelers need for COP to compliment Conner--Willie Mays Hayes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hero202 said:

The franchise tag needs to be reevaluated during the next CBA.  It was intentionally meant to allow teams to keep a player if they need just a little bit more time to work out a deal; not to string players along for 2-3 years.

One of the biggest issue with the franchise tag IMO is the random deadline of not being able to work on a new deal anymore (Mid-end of July I think it was).  I think Bell 100% gets traded if the team that trades for him can offer him an extension during the season.  He probably would have shown up for week 1 games if there was a possibility of the Steelers and his agent to continue to work on a new deal as the season progresses.  

The franchise tag has been working nicely for the owners.   Players generally sign the tag and play without missing a paycheck or game.

No long term deals with lots of guaranteed money for a teams best players is a good deal for the owners. 

The owners would love to have every player on a one year deal in every league.   But the NFLPA is not unified enough to strike and effect change.

It's not going to change unless more marquee players decide to sit out on the second tag and get the fans angry.  

This has been very expensive for a RB like Bell but I think more players will consider it in the future if it doesn't change in the next CBA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The franchise tag has been working nicely for the owners.   Players generally sign the tag and play without missing a paycheck or game.

No long term deals with lots of guaranteed money for a teams best players is a good deal for the owners. 

The owners would love to have every player on a one year deal in every league.   But the NFLPA is not unified enough to strike and effect change.

It's not going to change unless more marquee players decide to sit out on the second tag and get the fans angry.  

This has been very expensive for a RB like Bell but I think more players will consider it in the future if it doesn't change in the next CBA.

I agree with everything you wrote, except I expect the NFL pa to destroy or dramatic ally change the franchise tag.

50 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I agree with everything you wrote, except I expect the NFL pa to destroy or dramatic ally change the franchise tag.

What a laugh.  First of all, the NFLPA is about the most toothless union in all of pro sports.  DeMaurice Smith couldn't "destroy" his way out of a soggy paper bag. 

Second, the vast, VAST majority of players do not care about the franchise tag.  It is only used on a very tiny fraction of their membership.  I believe the exclusive tag was used only three times by the entire NFL during the 2018 offseason.

The owners, on the other hand, highly value the franchise tag and would rather shut the whole thing down than give up their ability to tag players.

And there is no way the membership is going to vote to strike and cancel the season over a rule that only impacts 2-3 guys out of 1690+ members.

54 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

What a laugh.  First of all, the NFLPA is about the most toothless union in all of pro sports.  DeMaurice Smith couldn't "destroy" his way out of a soggy paper bag. 

Second, the vast, VAST majority of players do not care about the franchise tag.  It is only used on a very tiny fraction of their membership.  I believe the exclusive tag was used only three times by the entire NFL during the 2018 offseason.

The owners, on the other hand, highly value the franchise tag and would rather shut the whole thing down than give up their ability to tag players.

And there is no way the membership is going to vote to strike and cancel the season over a rule that only impacts 2-3 guys out of 1690+ members.

Bookmark this thread and revisit this post after the next CBA.

56 minutes ago, panthers528 said:

Bell will not play a single down this year......mark my words!!

We will never forget the day panthers528 called this. This will go down in the history books. Move over Joe Namath guarantee, say hello to panthers528 “mark my words!!” 

• Haha 5

I kind of hope he he gets shunned by the whole league and never plays another down in the NFL. Yes because I’m salty and I drafted him but also because this whole thing is a crap show and I’m sick of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think Bell feels that if he gets a significantly better deal, this will raise the bar for all RBs (and possibly other financially underrated positions).

So it may affect a larger portion of the members, or at least they may feel that way.

Edited by Boudewijn

12 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

I kind of hope he he gets shunned by the whole league and never plays another down in the NFL. Yes because I’m salty and I drafted him but also because this whole thing is a crap show and I’m sick of it.

Well you’re just showing your age and admitting you have zero business sense. To players, especially at Bell’s age they’re looking for long term contracts so they know they’ll be taken care of after football. He’s looking for the huge guaranteed pay upfront and at the very least a 5 year contract. IMO

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

Well you’re just showing your age and admitting you have zero business sense. To players, especially at Bell’s age they’re looking for long term contracts so they know they’ll be taken care of after football. He’s looking for the huge guaranteed pay upfront and at the very least a 5 year contract. IMO

His window is short and he needs to capitalize because who know what the future holds. Yes I get that he wants to maximize his body/payday dividends but what owner is going to give him Todd Gurley money after these shenanigans, much alone at 27 years old?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, panthers528 said:

Bell will not play a single down this year......mark my words!!

As a Bell owner that picked up Connor before the season started, I hope you are right. 

The question is, what happens if Connor gets hurt. Would the Steelers want Bell to come back? Would Bell even want to rejoin this team that clearly doesn't like him anymore? 

• Like 1

I just want Bell to show up and watch this thread go apeshiit.

Edited by Shortnphat

1 hour ago, AroundTheHorn said:

So you want the player to be shunned because he exercised his option to not play as is his right?  You do know there are 2 parties involved in this?

1. He didn't break any contract.

2. he isn't getting paid to not play

3. he chose not to sign and play under contractual terms he didnt agree with

Yet you don't hold the Steelers organization accountable for signing him to an exclusive tag which created this standoff which was well within their rights.

I'm not sure exactly why you find 'fault' with bells choice and not the Steelers mgmt.

maybe people are anti- bell because he is the big name player and his face is recognizeable whereas no one knows anything about the steelers mgmt?

Your process and conclusion are irrational

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

His window is short and he needs to capitalize because who know what the future holds. Yes I get that he wants to maximize his body/payday dividends but what owner is going to give him Todd Gurley money after these shenanigans, much alone at 27 years old?

What are his shennanigans?

He didn't sign an play under the tag.

Shenanigans would be signing to collect a check and then faking injury or dialing it in on the field and purposely underperforming in order to get benched or writing something on his shoes protesting the unfairness of his tag or criticizing his team daily on social media.

Can anyone provide a tweet or an IG rant where Bell is attacking the steelers organization as part of a smear campaign?

I never heard a person not signing his contract and collecting zero money as 'shenanigans'

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So you want the player to be shunned because he exercised his option to not play as is his right?  You do know there are 2 parties involved in this?

1. He didn't break any contract.

2. he isn't getting paid to not play

3. he chose not to sign and play under contractual terms he didnt agree with

Yet you don't hold the Steelers organization accountable for signing him to an exclusive tag which created this standoff which was well within their rights.

I'm not sure exactly why you find 'fault' with bells choice and not the Steelers mgmt.

maybe people are anti- bell because he is the big name player and his face is recognizeable whereas no one knows anything about the steelers mgmt?

Your process and conclusion are irrational

Cry me a river, owners can do whatever they want and guess what, life isn’t fair. If he wanted something job wise a little less dangerous maybe he shouldn’t have chosen to play football. That fact of the matter he knows the risks and he’s exercising his right to not play in lieu of a better payday. As a teammate/fantasy owner/fan it blows but to him and his family, I’m sure it makes sense. That doesn’t mean I have to like it. 

And for the record, I think the Steelers should have paid him (more guaranteed of course) because he’s a stud. 

Edited by AroundTheHorn

2 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

Cry me a river, owners can do whatever they want and guess what, life isn’t fair. If he wanted something job wise a little less dangerous maybe he shouldn’t have chosen to play football. That fact of the matter he knows the risks and he’s exercising his right to not play in lieu of a better payday. As a teammate/fantasy owner/fan it blows but to him and his family, I’m sure it makes sense. That doesn’t mean I have to like it. 

Agreed, but I will add that it is also extremely unlikely that Bell's plan will succeed.  

2 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

All of what you just wrote is irrelevant to the point that  both parties made a choice within their rights and yet you claim one should be held accountable for the outcome and not the other.

Liking his choice is irrelevant to the facts of the situation. You are simply exhibiting irrational bias.

Again your process and conclusion is flawed.

1 hour ago, Shortnphat said:

Or he could, you know, take the million dollars he would have earned each game and not blow through it, considering what he makes in one game is more than most Americans make in their lifetime. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hero202 said:

Personally I like it (Franchise Tag).  Overall it is good.  Keeps balance in the league not like NBA.  Allows cities to keep their best players.  At the same time, the player gets a crazy huge salary for one year or each year they use it.  There are ways around it.  Suh worked his way around it in Detroit.  Bell for one has a bad agent.  I know he misses out on a long term deal but no team would ever sign him for $15 Million a year.  So be smart.

• Like 1