Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

On 2018-11-15 at 1:43 PM, Spyplane said:

I could see teams like the Jets, Raider and Browns breaking the bank for him. People are too quick to forget all the stupid decisions which are made in the NFL when they consider what Bell might make.

Sounds like the odds makers agree with me:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/will-sign-leveon-bell-next-offseason-odds-team-will-land-164022119.html

Let’s look at teams with the top odds:

New York Jets (+285): The Jets are the favorites, and it does make some sense. An elite running back would help Sam Darnold. The Jets have more than enough projected cap space, second in the NFL according to OverTheCap. Bell would give the Jets another superstar, which they always seem to like, and a shot in the arm on offense. I don’t mind them being listed as favorites to land Bell.

Oakland Raiders (+450): The Raiders aren’t among the league leaders in projected cap space, which is shocking because who exactly are they paying aside from Derek Carr? With Marshawn Lynch perhaps finally retiring, there’s a need. It still doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for a team in a total rebuild, though maybe it fits from a marketing standpoint. The Raiders need someone to sell to Las Vegas fans when they move there in 2020.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

LOL dude it doesn't matter. It's about being paid a salary commensurate to your skills. If the 50k per year guy works a job who's skill set and experience warrant him 50k it's fair. 

If you did something that was so unique and millions of people tuned in to watch you do your job you'd be paid a high salary. It's really simple economics. 

People do tune in to watch Bell when he's not suspended, injured, or sitting out.

Conner has showed up and makes about 800k less than Bell does per game.....Simple economics?

16 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

True colors? Publicity stunt? I know he hasn't played all year but if you don't remember this dude is a pretty good running back and by showing his "true colors" he has guaranteed that he'll be healthy and fresh (and likely highly motivated) going into next season. I don't see how what happened this season is any concern for a team signing him next year in fact it is probably the best case scenario since once again you get him healthier and more fresh. Who exactly did he fool this season? He literally said since January that if Steelers franchised him again he'd be willing to sit out and/or retire. This season was strictly a business decision, teams make them all the time so why is it a crime when players do it?

It's not a crime. I personally root for class acts like Larry Fitzgerald and Drew Brees. Neither of these guy's would sit out and act like a punk because they have passion for the game.

• Thanks 1

Why would a team break the bank for this Diva? I would put money into the offensive line and Defense. I would draft a running back.....Simple economics!!

Bell has skipped training camp two years in a row, sat out a year,  been suspended, injured.........Ya! he's gonna go to the Raiders for sure.

I hope he gets signed next year and then gets another suspension before he plays a down and gets cut.

20 minutes ago, mongidig said:

It's not a crime. I personally root for class acts like Larry Fitzgerald and Drew Brees. Neither of these guy's would sit out and act like a punk because they have passion for the game.

They didn’t need to sit out because they got paid what they wanted.  It’s that simple.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, mongidig said:

People do tune in to watch Bell when he's not suspended, injured, or sitting out.

Conner has showed up and makes about 800k less than Bell does per game.....Simple economics?

You keep shifting your goal posts. Sign of someone who actually has no idea what they are arguing. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

They didn’t need to sit out because they got paid what they wanted.  It’s that simple.

Fitz and Brees would never sit out a year even if they didn't get what they wanted. There is a difference between having class and not having class.

8 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

You keep shifting your goal posts. Sign of someone who actually has no idea what they are arguing. 

This is what people say when they don't have a counter argument.

Just now, mongidig said:

This is what people say when they don't have a counter argument.

I already counter argued and you replied back with something that wasn't part of the original argument. That's a strawman and a complete shift of goal posts.

You clearly stated that someone making 50k a year and someone making 850K a year aren't comparable. They are. I stated how they are because it is dependent that you are making a wage equitable to your field. You then countered discussing Conner is doing what Bell has done, but for less money. An argument rooted in something that was never talked about in relation to my original post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

Why is this topic still constantly at the top of the boards...

Bell is just such a collision of so many different things.  Individual ego v. team concept, franchise tag, CBA, rap career, long term security v. big pay for one year, front office v. agent, fantasy v. reality, health v. competition.  This year has been really fascinating.  At least that's why I keep dropping by...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mongidig said:

Why would you compare a guy who makes 850K per game to someone who might make 50k per year? This is nonsense.

Yes, human behavior changes so radically depending on the money you make. You can tell by how people who don't make a lot of money aren't selfish and focused on making more money like rich people are. 

Or is it the other way around? Which behavioral traits are you saying 'rich' people have that 'poorer' people don't?

8 hours ago, mongidig said:

It is much easier to root for guys that are as good of people as they are football players like Fitzgerald and Brees. However, I don't believe passion for the game and money are mutually exclusive. Case and point in 2012 Drew Brees was in a similar position to Le'Veon Bell in that Saints franchise tagged him and weren't meeting his demands in contract negotiations. People were suggesting he should possibly sit out the entire season back then (https://www.businessinsider.com/saints-should-drew-brees-sit-out-entire-nfl-season-2012-4) but he had much greater leverage than Bell given Brees is a much more likeable guy, brought the Saints a Superbowl in 2010, team was in turmoil following bounty gate and as a quarterback is a much more difficult position to replace and after holding out of voluntary training camp the Saints finally ponied up the money making him at the time the highest paid player in the NFL with a then record 60mill guaranteed. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Wait... Tebow had no business playing in the NFL.

Didn't he? Yet he was railroaded out of the league while the likes of sanchez lynch others languished in the league... not derailing thread but bell needs railroaded out after acting like a baby and sitting out... while Connor has himself a year....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Didn't he? Yet he was railroaded out of the league while the likes of sanchez lynch others languished in the league... not derailing thread but bell needs railroaded out after acting like a baby and sitting out... while Connor has himself a year....

I am going to LMAO when Connor is up for his contract.

22 minutes ago, hard1 said:

He was railroad out of the league?  He shouldn’t of been in the NFL.  What are you comparing here??

52 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I am going to LMAO when Connor is up for his contract.

Don't worry about James.  The Steelers will extend him generously before he gets anywhere near free agency.

12 hours ago, mongidig said:

Fitz and Brees would never sit out a year even if they didn't get what they wanted. There is a difference between having class and not having class.

Brees literally wrote into his contract a clause about franchise tags and you think he would be willing to play on one?

Not to mention he went to arbitration over a franchise tag in the past, how does he help your argument?

Edited by hoppychokes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chicagocolt said:

Brees is also a QB and takes far less of a beating during a season than a bell cow RB

I don't think anyone is arguing that RBs deserve to be paid like QBs (well maybe Bell but I can't defend him in that territory, I understand what he is trying to argue but that is a very tough sell and at best is just a negotiation technique to put a much bigger number in GMs heads so their final offer seems like a relative bargain). The point was that this myth that "class acts" like Drew Brees aren't worried about money and wouldn't do what Bell did is just blatantly false. Brees (and countless other guys viewed as model professionals) have gotten into sticky contract situations before and fought over the dreaded franchise tag that no player likes and typically benefits only franchises (the guys being tagged are usually top at their positions anyway so the annual salary is about what they'd expect typically but they get no signing bonus or money guarantees past this season which is a nightmare in a dangerous sport like football where your career can be over on the next play). 

Unluckily for Bell as a RB he is put at a disadvantage. He choose the wrong position, honestly if I were him I'd consider saying I'm a WR instead of a RB (the whole "offensive weapon" thing is a bit too much of a leap). I think he could literally be one of the top WRs in the league if he played the position full-time. WRs typically get paid more and he'd be able to extend his career. 

Edited by Jaw1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Le'Veon Bell is seeking $17 million annually.

It's $3 million higher than Todd Gurley's average salary. Bell also wants $45 million guaranteed. It's a lot of money for a 27-year-old coming off a holdout at a devalued position, but Bell is going to get overpaid this offseason. With the Steelers expected to transition tag Bell, teams may be forced to frontload Bell's contract.

In other words, Bell won't be playing next year, either.

9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Le'Veon Bell is seeking $17 million annually.

It's $3 million higher than Todd Gurley's average salary. Bell also wants $45 million guaranteed. It's a lot of money for a 27-year-old coming off a holdout at a devalued position, but Bell is going to get overpaid this offseason. With the Steelers expected to transition tag Bell, teams may be forced to frontload Bell's contract.

In other words, Bell won't be playing next year, either.

Had he played this year, he would only need 31 million guaranteed and roughly 14 million in average annual salary (depending on the length of contract) to have the exact same pay over the course of his deal. Maybe he'll hit the jackpot, but I am always more interested in what the big FAs end up with since they often get cut before their deal is up anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Titan said:

Had he played this year, he would only need 31 million guaranteed and roughly 14 million in average annual salary (depending on the length of contract) to have the exact same pay over the course of his deal. Maybe he'll hit the jackpot, but I am always more interested in what the big FAs end up with since they often get cut before their deal is up anyway. 

He saved his body from wear and tear and potentially a career ending injury.  Pittsburgh had all intentions to run him in the ground!  Just look at his touches the year before.  They knew they weren’t going to sign him.  Think of it as his own insurance policy that he created.  It’s not all about numbers sometimes.