Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

4 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I'm not sure but isn't there some rule that you can only be franchise tagged 2 years in a row?  Pretty sure he was tagged last year too. 

I guess it's a good thing I'm not an NFL owner or coach.  If this guy pulled this garbage with me, he'd definitely be sitting out week 1 at this point and I wouldn't care if he reported today.  What kind of message does it send to your players if you let a guy pull this stunt and then he just walks in and plays while everybody else has been working their tails off the past month or two?  Heck, they don't need him to beat the Browns anyway.  I guarantee you that if this were Belichick and the Pats, Bell would not be walking in now and playing Sunday.

All that said, I do think he will show up today and I'd be shocked if he's not playing Sunday.  

An NFL team can tag a position player for a third straight year, but the third year is the tag number for quarterbacks.  So, realistically, this is the last year they can tag Bell.

5 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I'm not sure but isn't there some rule that you can only be franchise tagged 2 years in a row?  Pretty sure he was tagged last year too. 

I guess it's a good thing I'm not an NFL owner or coach.  If this guy pulled this garbage with me, he'd definitely be sitting out week 1 at this point and I wouldn't care if he reported today.  What kind of message does it send to your players if you let a guy pull this stunt and then he just walks in and plays while everybody else has been working their tails off the past month or two?  Heck, they don't need him to beat the Browns anyway.  I guarantee you that if this were Belichick and the Pats, Bell would not be walking in now and playing Sunday.

All that said, I do think he will show up today and I'd be shocked if he's not playing Sunday.  

Yea I agree, to me I'd take it as a sign he's not a team player and therefore I'd show the kid we don't need him and move on. I understand these guys want their payday but they need to think as a team and support each other as a team even if the numbers aren't exactly where they want them. But the money they make in general is already disgusting so it's like really man? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Consider that, as a coach, his salary is tied to the success of the team.  I'm sure Tomlin is willing to say "it's just business" and get on with playing the 11 that gives him the best chance to win, now and in the future.

9 minutes ago, jccouger said:

Can't you only be franchise tagged 2 years in a row? 

"Players can be tagged in consecutive years, but it's costly. For a player to be tagged two-straight years, the team must pay 120 percent of the player's previous salary. If it's three-straight years, the team must pay the player 144 percent of his previous salary."

So yes they can. It's costly but less costly than a long term extension. IMO this is a probably a big reason he's holding out a bit.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pennstateugk said:

Where would the incentive be? They want bell to play on the tag, and it’s not costing them anything right now until he signs. 

I’m sure they can rescind it, but that would

make Bell a UFA, which is not what they want.

He reports today, plays sparingly Sunday*, and goes on to have a top 5 season. We’ve seen this before.

*maybe Pitt holds him out game 1, or he’s active but only as insurance. This is later than he reported last year so that’s possible.

If they rescind the tag they will likely get a 3rd round comp pick down the line. They clearly have no intention of signing him after this year and they can just tag him again. I think he eventually reports but I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut bait now for the comp pick and let someone else sign him to a ridiculous contract.

Theoretically you could franchise a player indefinitely. The rule doesn’t mention anything about a 3 year franchise tag max. And it outlines the way compensation for more years of franchise tags could be set up. In bells case if they were to franshise him next year it would cost the Steelers 17.64 mil. 

18 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Consider that, as a coach, his salary is tied to the success of the team.  

not necessarily in this case ... Tomlin has one of the longest leashes in recent memory.   Stiller mgmnt. digs the scenario, and slack will be cut to Teflon Tomlin. 

they love the guy.  

only their third head coach in the past 50 seasons ... Pittsburgh finds a horse and rides it. 

as exceedingly "meh" as i find him to be, his job security takes nary a smidge of a dent if Bell winds up sitting a great deal of time, and they struggle as a result. 

18 minutes ago, konstao said:

#Steelers have a team meeting at 9am. One of Le’Veon Bell’s teammates just messaged me: no sign of him yet.

Those damn planes. Always delayed. Probably at the baggage claim says concerned Le'veon owners :lol:

Just now, the_dying_dream said:

Is that est?

No, the Steelers schedule their meetings using the Mountain Time zone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Drafted Bell weeks ago                                                              Current mood

Related image

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

No, the Steelers schedule their meetings using the Mountain Time zone. 

That’s some grade A snark in the morning!  10 points

• Like 1

I've been pretty relaxed throughout this whole thing, but now I'm worried. At least he's in Pittsburgh...

2 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

I've been pretty relaxed throughout this whole thing, but now I'm worried. At least he's in Pittsburgh...

Is he?

3 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Who said he is in Pittsburgh? 

3 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Where’s the source that states he’s in Pittsburgh?

• Thanks 1

Well that sticks. I was just scrolling for tweets and saw the picture a few pages back, but didn't read any of the stuff after. Sorry boys. :(