Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

27 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

If that's the case then why are the Steelers trying to spend $14mil on a single RB if anyone can walk in and do the same job as well as he can? I guess if they were smart they should just let him walk and spend that money elsewhere.

I cant believe people are really arguing that anyone can do what Bell does. LOL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He'll report during the bye week (7). Gives him 2 weeks to work with the team prior to week 8 and gives him some buffer games on the 6 he needs should he miss a game or 2 due to injury. 

2 minutes ago, GoalineD said:

I cant believe people are really arguing that anyone can do what Bell does. LOL.

All the sudden he's one of the most overrated players in the league ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoalineD said:

Agreed but if you take any of the top 10-12 RBs in the NFL, put them in this offense I highly doubt the Steelers record is any different at the end of the year especially if you factor in the cap savings the team would be able to use to bolster other parts of the team..

Edited to add from other site:

Bell is one of the most versatile backs in the league, but if you remove games in which the team rested starters, the Steelers have a nearly identical points per game in games without Bell as they do with him.

Edited by wideopen21
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, kball09 said:

They can't trade him, he isn't under contract

I believe there would be a long term deal with a trade partner pre-negotiated, then he would sign and be traded. He would have to be a willing participant, which I assume he would. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

All the sudden he's one of the most fed players in the league who couldn't average over 5 yds per touch on that offense, has an injury history, and is on a drug test banana peel

fixed. 'cause you left out alotta pertinent ish/

14 minutes ago, GoalineD said:

That offensive line might be the reason he's so good though. They made an aging and finished DeAngelo Williams look All-Pro every time he stepped on the field. I don't think that team does any better or worse without him.

[Several removed.  Please perform some amount of due diligence to make sure you're not being duped by an old / fake / misleading tweet.  Thanks.]

14 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

That offensive line might be the reason he's so good though. They made an aging and finished DeAngelo Williams look All-Pro every time he stepped on the field. I don't think that team does any better or worse without him.

I agree. Bell is very good, better than Conner, but not enough that it will cost the Steelers much when it comes to final record.  Unless Conner gets hurt, not sure who the 3rd stringer is.

Edited by Red Dog

50 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Overall thoughts on the situation:

1. 1. The smart thing for Bell to do would be return to the team on Saturday so he doesn't lose any game checks unless he believes the Steelers would trade him. Honestly I don't see a team giving him the Gurley level contract he wants next summer as a 27 year old RB and thus I don't think it's smart to give up however much money he would lose by waiting until week 10.
  3. 2.  Love Bell but I don't think him sitting out even puts that much pressure on the Steelers.  Unlike Khalil Mack he's not a fan favorite (maybe a fan villain at this point plus the fans LOVE Conner) and even his teammates are turning on him incredibly quickly.  Although I think it could change quickly if Conner struggles and PIT starts losing games.

3. The PIT OL look like assholes right now unless Bell did or said something behind the scenes.  The Steelers have been jerking Bell around for the last few years while giving him huge workloads and he plays the most vulnerable position in the NFL.  

Nah, this won't work.

If his goal is a mega deal then he needs to keep tread on the tires. He sits until November in that case as that is the latest he can wait before signing the franchise tender and this season still counting as a Franchise Tag season. The Steelers won't franchise tag him a third time.

The game checks right now are irrelevant. Guaranteed money he is going for next year dwarfs that. Considering the Gurley deal $50 million or so guaranteed is what it will take to land Bell. 

17 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I believe there would be a long term deal with a trade partner pre-negotiated, then he would sign and be traded. He would have to be a willing participant, which I assume he would. 

He can't sign a new long term deal right now. He can't do that until the offseason per league rules. 

Edited by Sticky2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky2 said:

He can't sign a new long term deal right now until. He can't do that until the offseason per league rules. 

Oh s--- you're right!  Damn he really is gonna hold out til week 10. 

18 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Then why are they spending 12 mil and 14 mil per year tagging him if the team doesn't do any worse without him? Clearly the Steelers think they are a better team with him on the field.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

Then why are they spending 12 mil and 14 mil per year tagging him if the team doesn't do any worse without him? Clearly the Steelers think they are a better team with him on the field.

Because the stats have been consistently solid for a while now. But basically all the fill-ins for him have averaged the same numbers as he has (you can even look this up). Pittsburgh is  obviously going to lean their money towards his youth, as he's still only 26. It doesn't mean someone else can't step in and do the same. Running backs fall off a cliff faster than any other sport's position. Remember Demarco Murray leading the NFL in rushing yards just a few years ago?  Now he's wearing a suit on Sunday's in a booth. This is now 3 straight years of holdouts, missing games for drug suspensions, and so on. His nice stats have still won Pittsburgh nothing (and he tends to not put up those nice numbers in the playoffs when it counts), and his headaches are starting to outweigh his stats.

Edited by MrPositive

4 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

usually players cave and show up to get paid and play football.

Bell is sticking the middle finger to all that. its a bold move; time will tell if he was wise or not; but no doubt the players resent that he misled them about his intentions.

I don't see Bell playing for the Steelers again, and this being a most ugly divorce...but maybe it will spawn some hard questions about how much a star player should be entitled to when the rb career is usually about 5-7 years.

I can't think of any good fits as far as a trade goes....the money would have to work, and teams that would want a 1 year rental probably have their cap accounted for, yes?

the Steelers would have to sell for pennies on the dollar for a team to take him for free....and I don't know that it offers enough to not just keep him around...esp when they are probably helping the competition.

rescinding the offer doesn't help them either.

its quite unprecedented.

• Like 2

I just drafted tonight late, Bell went 7th in the first round, I got Conner first pick of 7th round. I like that symmetry. I hope the Bell naysayers are right and I just stole the Steelers bellcow, this seems so murky right now though. Tough time to draft.

1 hour ago, Folarin said:

Seriously starting to think he might get released (tag dropped) or traded. 

If the the locker room is against him, I can see Pitt doing that.

If they drop the tag, I'm pretty sure they miss out on the comp pick they get if he walks which would probably be a high one.  

1 hour ago, FlashGordon401 said:

DmX4-bMU0AAeDgW.jpg

i was coming here to do just this, you beat me to it.

14 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Because the stats have been consistently solid for a while now. But basically all the fill-ins for him have averaged the same numbers as he has (you can even look this up). Pittsburgh is  obviously going to lean their money towards his youth, as he's still only 26. It doesn't mean someone else can't step in and do the same. Running backs fall off a cliff faster than any other sport's position. Remember Demarco Murray leading the NFL in rushing yards just a few years ago?  Now he's wearing a suit on Sunday's in a booth. This is now 3 straight years of holdouts, missing games for drug suspensions, and so on. His nice stats have still won Pittsburgh nothing (and he tends to not put up those nice numbers in the playoffs when it counts), and his headaches are starting to outweigh his stats.

You just proved my point. If everything you say is true, then Pitt could just let Bell walk and go get his money from somewhere else. The Steelers then have an extra $14mil to spend on defense, offensive line, or whatever. Then one of these "fill-ins" can take over the starting RB spot and "average the same numbers" as you put it.

The Steelers obviously disagree with you, and everyone in here saying Bell is overrated, doesnt help  them win games, and isn't worth the headache. Otherwise they would happily take their $14 mil and spend it elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

You just proved my point. If everything you say is true, then Pitt could just let Bell walk and go get his money from somewhere else. The Steelers then have an extra $14mil to spend on defense, offensive line, or whatever. Then one of these "fill-ins" can take over the starting RB spot and "average the same numbers" as you put it.

The Steelers obviously disagree with you, and everyone in here saying Bell is overrated, doesnt help  them win games, and isn't worth the headache. Otherwise they would happily take their $14 mil and spend it elsewhere.

But I think a lot of people in here are saying just that, the Steelers are about to walk away from this headcase. It's just not worth it. Even his teammates lashing out at him. I don't know how he can even rejoin this team at this point. They hate this dude.

I agree, they should just let him walk, especially now.

But it's clear they want to squeeze one more year and 400 more touches out of him to make another run, then if he's still healthy and playing well at the end of the year they can just tag him again, rinse and repeat. So essentially the Steelers want his services while making Bell take all the risk of an injury, not the team. 

That's fine if that's what the team thinks is best for them, but Bell has a right to do what he thinks is best for himself as well.  Reading everyone's "shut up and play" "prima Dona" posts they obviously think it's only on the players to take the risk.

• Like 3