Sign in to follow this  
afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Wow, just wow. Forget the dollars. Is there an amount he could demand where you would side with the owners?

No.  Because if another team wants to pay him more, he should be able to sign with that team (or let the Steelers match it).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I’d scrub s--- off walls with my bear hands if it meant I got paid 15M.

Bell *is* going to get paid $15 million. Plus a WHOLE lot more.

Edited by Robrain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robrain said:

No.  Because if another team wants to pay him more, he should be able to sign with that team (or let the Steelers match it).

You just spun yourself out. If you let the Steelers match it then he's not a Free Agent in a free market. He's still a slave to the Steelers. You can't have both.

5 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

You just spun yourself out. If you let the Steelers match it then he's not a Free Agent in a free market. He's still a slave to the Steelers. You can't have both.

No, if two teams are offering the same amount I'm saying let him choose which team gets his services.  It's not always one company outbidding the other, sometimes the offers are similar enough that it comes down to other factors.

So if he shows up Saturday, what does that mean? He obviously won't play Sunday, but by showing up on Saturday, does that guarantee he will officially be back with the team for week 2, essentially accepting the franchise tag? 

Just now, mikeflavaz said:

So if he shows up Saturday, what does that mean? He obviously won't play Sunday, but by showing up on Saturday, does that guarantee he will officially be back with the team for week 2, essentially accepting the franchise tag? 

Yeah, but he wouldn't play in week 1, yet still get paid for week 1.

I seriously doubt he comes back this weekend.

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

MJDS opinion on this issue counts very little 

i mean, he has more perspective than us re: the meat grinder that is the nfl running back

• Thanks 1

If he sits oit 4-5 games and is himself the rest of the season he will be viewed as "fresh" going into free agency rather then perhaps used up.  Plus he will have less chance of getting hurt this season.

Sacrificing 4-5 games checks is a no-brainer when the payout could be 35-40mill guranteed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jasonresno said:

i mean, he has more perspective than us re: the meat grinder that is the nfl running back

His perspective will always defend the position that he played 

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpool said:

THIS close to trading him.

He better be reporting on Saturday!

His team is already mad as hell at him.

Means little.  Bell is calling the shots now.  

Just now, urban2014 said:

His perspective will always defend the position that he played 

Sounds like someone whose walked in Bell's shoes before.

6 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Yeah, but he wouldn't play in week 1, yet still get paid for week 1.

I seriously doubt he comes back this weekend.

I thought the same until this: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Steelers' "guess" is that holdout franchise player Le'Veon Bell reports on Saturday.

Of course Ian doesn't know and neither do the Steelers. Still, it makes alot of sense.  He's losing a ton of money per game he sits out correct? Maybe he milks one week, get's paid for that week but doesn't have to play. If he sits until week 10 or whatnot, that's like $10 Mil as others have pointed out.  That's alot of guaranteed money and sorta counters money in a new contract.  

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

Why would Bell at this stage show up on Saturday? What benefit would that bring to him?

Given that he didn't report in time, he's basically got 2 choices now:

- report week 10

- don't report

It's clear he thought this through and took a decision on this. This is not about just 1 or 2 weeks, this is going to be long term now.

Yeah, I saw that and saw his clip. It's just another dude giving his opinion. I took zero stock in it.

I hate the Pats but watch Cle beat Pit this weekend amid turmoil and PIT miss out home field playoffs by one game. 

Edited by Tread_Lightly

Based on all the previous terrific decisions Leveon has made that we know about, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that whatever he chooses to do, it will not be the optimal choice, and will not maximize his long term earnings.

Edited by cs3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Why would Bell at this stage show up on Saturday? What benefit would that bring to him?

It's become very clear he is avoiding wear and tear so his stock doesn't go down. So, it just comes down to how much wear and tear he wants this year. It could be 6 games, it could be 15. So, he could show up tomorrow, he could show up week ten. There are benefits to both ($ vs less wear and tear and risk of injury)

2 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

I thought the same until this: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Steelers' "guess" is that holdout franchise player Le'Veon Bell reports on Saturday.

Of course Ian doesn't know and neither do the Steelers. Still, it makes alot of sense.  He's losing a ton of money per game he sits out correct? Maybe he milks one week, get's paid for that week but doesn't have to play. If he sits until week 10 or whatnot, that's like $10 Mil as others have pointed out.  That's alot of guaranteed money and sorta counters money in a new contract.  

He could do it, but I don't think it makes any sense. Getting out of one game doesn't really save that much wear & tear on his body, and has seriously pissed off a lot of people. The most sensical thing to do IMO would've been either report beginning of this week and play, or hold out until week 10 and truly minimize the wear & tear this year.