WTP333

2019 League Settings Discussion

Caps which mean nothing. A scoring format where a 1500 cap could be mean anything over on the final day is pretty lame.

Edited by Low and Away

17 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

.I like first come first serve on free agents also everyday. Even though I am busy and miss out on many of them I like that the people that stay on top of things get rewarded for it rather then having rotoworld tell them who to pick up the next day. 

Thats not really how it works in the alternative. In a FAAB, everyone has the same info and everyone gets to decided how much that risk is worth to him. It's a fair system. If you really believe in someone, you spend a lot. In first come first serve, people are just relying on  being online to check twitter/rotoworld at the right time to make a pickup at no cost. Favors the person who has the most time to spend on Fantasy rather than making good decisions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Thats not really how it works in the alternative. In a FAAB, everyone has the same info and everyone gets to decided how much that risk is worth to him. It's a fair system. If you really believe in someone, you spend a lot. In first come first serve, people are just relying on  being online to check twitter/rotoworld at the right time to make a pickup at no cost. Favors the person who has the most time to spend on Fantasy rather than making good decisions. 

I was a proponent of first come first serve for the longest time and kinda still am as I do spend way too much time on baseball but we switched to FAAB(3 times a week) a few years back and it works out great. 

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

That last statement makes the assumption that the person with the most time to spend is not making good decisions. I could say that FAAB favors the lazy owner who doesn't want to bother to check in on his team more than 1-2 times per week rather than the guy who checks his lineup everyday. I know that's not the case, though it could be in some cases. Just because someone has more time to spend doesn't mean they make poor decisions. And I go both ways...there are seasons in life in which I have more time to devote to fantasy sports than others, due to job, family, etc. So I end up being subject to the best and worst of both.  

I'm not against FAAB or first-come. I'm in leagues that utilize both, and I find that I use no more or no less strategy in one than the other. I don't feel one is more fair to me or less fair to me. They're just different, and what it really boils down to, to me, is just preference. 

That's just my perspective. 

• Like 1

Curious for those in season-long Roto's out there - do you notice a lot of FAAB going unused?  We added FAAB I think in 2010 and 2011 put it at $100 similar to our football budget and nobody came close to spending.  I dropped to $50 a few years back and rarely, does anyone get there except those few who just dont know what they are doing and blow it on like 2 moves in April. 

Seems like its mostly cheap guys as potential keepers or maybe minor upgrades.  

54 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

That last statement makes the assumption that the person with the most time to spend is not making good decisions. I could say that FAAB favors the lazy owner who doesn't want to bother to check in on his team more than 1-2 times per week rather than the guy who checks his lineup everyday. I know that's not the case, though it could be in some cases. Just because someone has more time to spend doesn't mean they make poor decisions. And I go both ways...there are seasons in life in which I have more time to devote to fantasy sports than others, due to job, family, etc. So I end up being subject to the best and worst of both.  

I guess I should have said the same sentence without using the word "person". Favors time over decisions. Sometimes the person with the most time on their hands is also the best actual fantasy player in terms of decision making and analysis.  That being said, if its a rather shallow league and people are rushing to the wire  based on prospect call ups or closer changes on tweets, thats simply bush league to me.... especially the tons of posts of people bragging about it. It's not a skill to have more time.  If you have more time to analyze things and dedicate to looking into players, that's one thing. Simply reacting to a tweet because you have time to be in Twitter all day... not so much.

The compromise to me is making FAAB more often if you want. You can make it daily or once a week or anything in between. It's the system that rewards a skill over time. 

FAAB is objectively a more fair system when you're dealing with people who have jobs that are not fantasy baseball, whether someone favors it because it's more fun or because they've beaten up on less active owners on it throughout the years is a subjective preference. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

17 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Curious for those in season-long Roto's out there - do you notice a lot of FAAB going unused?  We added FAAB I think in 2010 and 2011 put it at $100 similar to our football budget and nobody came close to spending.  I dropped to $50 a few years back and rarely, does anyone get there except those few who just dont know what they are doing and blow it on like 2 moves in April. 

Most teams in my 12 teamer are under $10 by year end. 100 budget. I would say 75% spent on potential closers.

8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I guess I should have said the same sentence without using the word "person". Favors time over decisions. Sometimes the person with the most time on their hands is also the best actual fantasy player in terms of decision making and analysis.  That being said, if its a rather shallow league and people are rushing to the wire  based on prospect call ups or closer changes on tweets, thats simply bush league to me.... especially the tons of posts of people bragging about it. It's not a skill to have more time.  If you have more time to analyze things and dedicate to looking into players, that's one thing. Simply reacting to a tweet because you have time to be in Twitter all day... not so much.

The compromise to me is making FAAB more often if you want. You can make it daily or once a week or anything in between. It's the system that rewards a skill over time. 

FAAB is objectively a more fair system when you're dealing with people who have jobs that are not fantasy baseball, whether someone favors it because it's more fun or because they've beaten up on less active owners on it throughout the years is a subjective preference. 

What I find, though, is those guys who simply rush to the wire without analysis are hurt by the impulsive moves more often than they are helped. In my first-come league, we don't have guys just rushing to the wire when a tweet comes through. It's a pretty analytical league, with a couple of exceptions, of course. Frankly, I'm okay with the knee-jerk adds because all-too-frequently, those guys get screwed in the end, lol. 

As for FAAB daily, that's fine and everything (my FAAB league is weekly...league is weekly, too), but you still don't know if you're going to have that guy the next day. And in daily leagues, you're still making adds/drops to have player available to you the next day. It's not all about the knee-jerk adds due to twitter or whatever, it's also about the ability to make an add-drop for the next day and not have to wait to find out if you got them. And if you don't, then it's too late for the day you wanted that player. In my first-come league, we have very active ownership that frequently makes moves through add-drop to prepare for the next day or just to get rid of dead weight or whatever. 

I've seen smart players play with wisdom in a first-come league, just like I have in a FAAB league. I've also seen players do stupid things in a first-come, just like I have in a FAAB. A FAAB league does not equate to a smarter or more skilled league...just like a first-come league does not equate a less-skilled league, which is kinda the vibe I'm getting. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

What I find, though, is those guys who simply rush to the wire without analysis are hurt by the impulsive moves more often than they are helped. In my first-come league, we don't have guys just rushing to the wire when a tweet comes through. It's a pretty analytical league, with a couple of exceptions, of course. Frankly, I'm okay with the knee-jerk adds because all-too-frequently, those guys get screwed in the end, lol. . 

All leagues are different made up of different groups of people. If you have 12 fanatics in your league who have time to check Twitter all day, by all means. I'm not saying your particularly league doesnt work for your group of guys.  I think the majority of leagues would benefit in fairness from FAAB, especially when they are standard sized or small.  The deeper the league, the less there is on the wire so I'm less inclined to care about first come first serve. 

You talk about them getting hurt by making knee jerk reactions?  Well that certainly happens.  If that were actually true over the long haul, then those people would not want that. Turns out, they get rewarded more than they are at los so they do want it (I was one of those people). Maybe they cut Cody Bellinger early because they thought he was a "Flash in the pan", sure that happens. Well, they also wouldn't have got Bellinger in the first place most likely if they didnt get to him first. So in my opinion, I don't think that's a fair counter. Overall in normal sized leagues, youre going to benefit tremendously by a first come process if you have more time.

I also don't see how daily faab doesn't all you to manage your team and cut dead weight when needed. One of my league runs daily faab like at 8 or 9 AM so I can have players for the games and put in claims at night or morning. 

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

All leagues are different made up of different groups of people. If you have 12 fanatics in your league who have time to check Twitter all day, by all means. I'm not saying your particularly league doesnt work for your group of guys.  I think the majority of leagues would benefit in fairness from FAAB, especially when they are standard sized or small.  The deeper the league, the less there is on the wire so I'm less inclined to care about first come first serve. 

You talk about them getting hurt by making knee jerk reactions?  Well that certainly happens.  If that were actually true over the long haul, then those people would not want that. Turns out, they get rewarded more than they are at los so they do want it (I was one of those people). Maybe they cut Cody Bellinger early because they thought he was a "Flash in the pan", sure that happens. Well, they also wouldn't have got Bellinger in the first place most likely if they didnt get to him first. So in my opinion, I don't think that's a fair counter. Overall in normal sized leagues, youre going to benefit tremendously by a first come process if you have more time.

I also don't see how daily faab doesn't all you to manage your team and cut dead weight when needed. One of my league runs daily faab like at 8 or 9 AM so I can have players for the games and put in claims at night or morning. 

Basically it is different strokes for different folks, I tried FAAB baseball for two years and hated IT. Playing fantasy baseball is a grind, 180+ days or six long months of hell. Who the heck wants and needs to put bids on a certain time then check in at another certain time for 180 straight days to see if you got your player. Hogwash. I want to log on whenever I damn well pleased and make adds or drops at any time of the day. Whether it is ten o’clock in the morning or at midnight. After all to me this is a hobby. 

Whatever and whoever or whenever way you like to play play IT the way you like to play. 

There is no right way or wrong way to play this game I like. 

Whether it is a Dynasty redraft points categories league enjoy yourself 

• Like 2

Daily SP streaming can be a problem in daily leagues.  Ours dealt with it by requiring any SP that is added has to be on your roster for 3 starts.  He doesn't have to make the 3 starts, just be rostered.  So if you pick up a guy who has a schedule of @ SD, @ Coors, SF...you can safely sit him for the @Coors start and get the benefit of the other two starts. Its streaming but with a bit more restrictions.

Only exceptions are injury and if the guy is sent to bullpen/minors.  That makes a guy who was yo-yo'd this year between the majors and minors like Kingham was decently valuable as a FA because you may get a freebie start.

Also, we use first come, first served with players.  No FAAB.  Yeah...we have a lot of moves, but thats part of the fun.  

Edited by Gotham_Soldier

I sure hope ESPN isn’t going to use the interface for fantasy baseball that they are using for basketball. If they go that route, there will be a lot of unhappy customers. 

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I sure hope ESPN isn’t going to use the interface for fantasy baseball that they are using for basketball. If they go that route, there will be a lot of unhappy customers. 

It's pretty bad and they still haven't' fixed bugs I pointed out to them months ago.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:52 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Also when you just to FCFS there is a component there of having to decipher a Waivers and a Free Agent process.  That way everyone knows certain players are dropped and gives them time to act accodingly to pick him up.  Rather than the guy who can hit "submit" the fastest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gotham_Soldier said:

Daily SP streaming can be a problem in daily leagues.  Ours dealt with it by requiring any SP that is added has to be on your roster for 3 starts.  He doesn't have to make the 3 starts, just be rostered.  So if you pick up a guy who has a schedule of @ SD, @ Coors, SF...you can safely sit him for the @Coors start and get the benefit of the other two starts. Its streaming but with a bit more restrictions.

Only exceptions are injury and if the guy is sent to bullpen/minors.  That makes a guy who was yo-yo'd this year between the majors and minors like Kingham was decently valuable as a FA because you may get a freebie start.

Also, we use first come, first served with players.  No FAAB.  Yeah...we have a lot of moves, but thats part of the fun.  

Its a good rule if you are trying to limit streaming, I was thinking about a number of weeks he must be one, but this is similar idea

6 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Also when you just to FCFS there is a component there of having to decipher a Waivers and a Free Agent process.  That way everyone knows certain players are dropped and gives them time to act accodingly to pick him up.  Rather than the guy who can hit "submit" the fastest. 

I'm not for limiting fun. If a group wants to do FCFS, it's all on them. I see way too much "pick up now, ask questions later" littered in threads across RW forums in each sport.  It's not the brand of fantasy I want to play competitively anymore, and not because I wasn't successful at it.

Edited by brockpapersizer

On 12/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, parrothead said:

Its a good rule if you are trying to limit streaming, I was thinking about a number of weeks he must be one, but this is similar idea

Extreme streaming became an issue several years back (my league was 20 years old in 2018, still with 8 original owners) and we adopted that 3 start rule.  Its worked well for us for over 10 years because we all police each other on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gotham_Soldier said:

Extreme streaming became an issue several years back (my league was 20 years old in 2018, still with 8 original owners) and we adopted that 3 start rule.  Its worked well for us for over 10 years because we all police each other on it.

3 hours ago, Gotham_Soldier said:

And that is what makes a league successful is when you can keep good competition but tailor the format and structure to fit the wants/needs of the group.  We have one weekly waivers on Sunday, I think last year 1 or 2 owners for a couple weeks were churning out their Pitcher 7 spot for some 2 start streaming type guys.  Our league if we went to more claims and people really started to stream, there would be a revolt.  

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 7:29 PM, parrothead said:

Understand that sentiment, but to me there are a couple of things I think that make auctions appealing. 

* I think in a lot of ways it pays off the hard work more than drafts and being able to assess the landscape of players, positions, etc.  There is nothing more frustrating than sitting in a snake draft where a player gets called out by an owner who is pretty indifferent about the guy but calls him simply because he is the next guy on the list that he printed out.  In an auction, fine, that owner calls that guy but then if you really want him, a lot of times you can get him cheap, since that owner often times was not really all that interested, where you might have some info that makes him more appealing.  So I think it protects your info a little more. 

* The ability to build your roster how you want, if you want to say "Im getting Trout and Betts" - you can do that.  Again, I think in some ways, it pays off a little more knowledge. 

* I think in general an auction does a better price of appropriate cost/compensation.  Whether its football, baseball, etc.  How many conversations have we had about tiers within the rounds.  How there is a distinct advantage to a certain spot.  I think it was maybe last season, seemed like you had the top few studs, then there was a huge tier that went to the early part of the 3rd round, so it was a season where in a draft, those guys with the first few guys had an advantage, where a Trout is gonna cost you $60 but someone 5 ADP spots later might cost only $35, it seems to be more accurate cost/compensation in auctions for the guys in the first several rounds. 

I love the nuances of it too, but thats more a personal preference than more of the fairness component.  

how do we change our keeper league snake draft to an auction draft....

we are finding problems with player value...the whole appeal on our current format is keeping players who were drafted late or have low round keeper value. 

On 12/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, Gotham_Soldier said:

an inngs limit is inforced in our league. if a manager goes over this in the first 1/2 of the year they lose a keeper, if they go over in the 2nd half they lose 3 keepers...and if they go over in the playoffs they lose all keepers for next year. some managers have done it, made bold moves when they feel they are going for it all. its def helped with the problem of 1000 streamers a week. 

21 minutes ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

how do we change our keeper league snake draft to an auction draft....

we are finding problems with player value...the whole appeal on our current format is keeping players who were drafted late or have low round keeper value. 

There isn't an easy way to make the conversion. You could come up with a system that works for you IE "players that were drafted in XXX round are worth $XXX" or some sort of other tier system. You could find an average draft value from 2018 or 2019 to assign values to the players. You could just start fresh (which would be the easiest way, although I am sure a couple of owners might be upset about it). Depending on the dynamics of the league, I think it is important to discuss it with the entire league and to reach a conclusion either by majority rule or commissioner authority.

Just now, jbj said:

There isn't an easy way to make the conversion. You could come up with a system that works for you IE "players that were drafted in XXX round are worth $XXX" or some sort of other tier system. You could find an average draft value from 2018 or 2019 to assign values to the players. You could just start fresh (which would be the easiest way, although I am sure a couple of owners might be upset about it). Depending on the dynamics of the league, I think it is important to discuss it with the entire league and to reach a conclusion either by majority rule or commissioner authority.

thats exactly where we are at...discussions are ongoing, seems to difficult. 

Has anyone converted over from Saves to Saves + Holds? 

Did you find it took away from the elite closers?

What were your experiences like? DId the league like the change or hate it?

On 11/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, Gotham_Soldier said:

I have played daily roto 7x7 categories for 20 years.  I don't understand weekly leagues.  To me...the daily grind of playing matchups and really "managing" your squad is really the fun of the game.  Our league tends to be real close most years and every K matters in the scope of the standings so it makes for a great 6 month battle.

Weekly vs. Daily. Tough one because weekly will drive you nuts in some ways (e.g. player gets hurt on the first AB on Monday grrr!), but it happens to everyone and we all know fantasy sports are a lot of luck. And at the same time managing fantasy baseball daily, all day every day for 162 games is a bit much. I think I'd try it, but would need a group of folks willing to do the same (I've only done it in free leagues for the hell of it).  I proposed it once in my main league but the commish and others basically said it was "too much work".

On 11/15/2018 at 2:32 PM, tonycpsu said:

I understand the appeal of auction drafts, but what I can't learn to love about it is the fact that the poker game of auction strategy seems to outweigh the actual game of trying to evaluate players and draft the best team.  Unless you've got a league full of people who've done a lot of auctions before, you're always going to end up with guys who know auction strategy ending up with better teams than people who might know the player pool and how to draft a competitive team just as well, but aren't as good at the game of bluffing, price enforcing, who to nominate when, etc.  It does lead to a more interesting mix of roster configurations, but it feels like a lot more work than it's worth.

I hear that, and agree everyone should understand the auction process and not always have newbies coming and going each year. I try not to feed into what anyone else is doing (as you said the "poker game"). 

But some of the auction strategy is fun and you can use it to your advantage and/or get burned. But generally, I keep focused on my plan and do what I want based on my player evals, etc. Auction is very fair in the sense that every team gets a chance to draft every player, love that. Removes "some" of the luck, and the draft itself is more enjoyable IMO and in the end takes about the same amount of time.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:27 AM, brockpapersizer said:

In all formats for any fantasy I generally prefer a large roster with weekly faab . First come first serve is not for me anymore. Rather take pride in analysis on a player than being quickest to react to a tweet .

On 12/17/2018 at 12:49 PM, parrothead said:

I do season long roto (cats) but I've never done FAAB. We do weekly waivers (limited # of picks) in reverse order of standings (but have to remain under salary cap based on player values - auction). I agree that the quickest to the wire 10 seconds after a tweet is fluky.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 6:44 PM, clarkevii said:

I'm starting a league this year with guys coming over from our fantasy football league.

Most of us have NEVER played fantasy baseball. 

We are going with H2H over rotisserie but which kind of league is more fun? 5x5 Categories or Total Points.

It seems that categories are the norm but overvalue certain stats. Total points seem to give you a true idea of what a player is worth.

It's kind of strange to me, an outsider, that total points are not the standard scoring.

Yeah, the downside to cats is that you kind of limit your team's potential (you can only get 12 points for any given cat - if 12 teamer). But adds some strategy too. For example in season long roto with cats, if you're way out in front in any cat, try to make trades to help bolster other cats that you aren't doing so well in. Of course can backfire as it's a long season and there will be ebbs and flows. Sometimes patience is the key too. But I've had success drafting (for example) SB guys, get out to a big lead, and then trade SB guys to a team that needs help in SB cat for someone you need help with (K's for example). You won't lose many points if any in the SB cat, and you can gain lots of points in K's.

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1