WTP333

2019 League Settings Discussion

26 minutes ago, mike100 said:

I have played in the same head to head league for many years.  One of the issues I have is that anytime a top prospect gets called up he is not on waivers and whoever sees him first picks him up.  In my opinion this isn’t fair as we all work and have other stuff to do and cannot always monitor the latest news.  I was told by our commissioner that there is no way to regulate this.  Can you share your practices on how this is regulated in your leagues?

Ours is set the same way. Sometimes I miss out other times I get who I want. Though I don’t post on it often I follow the MiLB thread closely which I feel gives me an advantage over my league mates but it is a ruthless league especially when it comes to top prospects.

Really dumb question that I can't seem to figure out on my own...

On FANTRAX, how do I find my current innings pitched total? All that shows up on the team stat page is your current team's IP total, which counts everything even if the stats didn't come on your squad. I want to know where I am with innings pitched, as well as my opponents for that matter, since we have a 1500ip limit.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, nlm said:

Really dumb question that I can't seem to figure out on my own...

On FANTRAX, how do I find my current innings pitched total? All that shows up on the team stat page is your current team's IP total, which counts everything even if the stats didn't come on your squad. I want to know where I am with innings pitched, as well as my opponents for that matter, since we have a 1500ip limit.

Thanks in advance!

Go to your Team page and then click on "min/max"

it will list your games played by position and your over/under pace.  at the bottom will be your team's IP and the projected pace over/under

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Go to your Team page and then click on "min/max"

it will list your games played by position and your over/under pace.  at the bottom will be your team's IP and the projected pace over/under

Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

Our league is currently discussing replacing Wins with either QS or IP. 

One side thinks that IP is preferable because it keeps long-relievers relevant

The other argues that QS better captures quality of innings and perfomance

Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Thoughts?

I like QS as a stat because you are not held hostage by a pitchers offense to net you a win. The pitcher is solely responsible for his QS performance. 

21 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Wins as a category is lame, but QS isn't much better.  It's really just crudely double-counting ERA as a counting stat, with an arbitrary inning threshold that fewer and fewer starters hit each season.

I've always been a ride or die with 5x5 guy, but with wins being so random and SV and SB being so scarce, this piece makes a compelling case that moving to a 6x6 format with IP as a category would be a step in the right direction.  It's not something you'd want to do with noobs who use standard cheat sheets for their drafts, but if you're in a league with people who can roll their own valuations based on the lower impact of SB/SV and the inclusion of IP (along with OBP and SLG) then I think it could work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I've never understood the hype around QS; it seems more arbitrary than wins, not less.

Our league uses IP (in addition to W) and it's always been controversial, but I'm more and more convinced it's one of the better pitching stats. Teams don't leave guys in to accumulate innings unless they're earning them and I don't think anybody would argue that a 5 IP 0 ER performance is equal to a 9 IP 0 ER one. Besides, per the article below, guys like Chris Sale and Corey Kluber have called it their favorite stat; who am I to argue with them?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-players-vote-for-stats-they-value-most-c274986480

One of the first leagues I ever did in the mid 90's was an innings pitched league.  One of the challenges with the game shifting the way it does is that so many pitchers are not eligible for a traditional quality start either because they did not go 6 innings OR they did not start.  The Opener has become a factor, the innings and not getting 3rd time through the order dynamic is also a factor. 

Four maybe five years ago, my main league went to Modified Quality Start + wins - a Modified Quality start is 5 IP with 2 or less Runs, 6 or 7 innings with 3 runs or 8 with 4.  Not perfect, but lot of 5 inning guys, the issue these days is the Opener/Follower (although were still shallow enough league at 13-team mixed that the number of openers isnt a huge impact).  

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:14 PM, Gotham_Soldier said:

I have played daily roto 7x7 categories for 20 years.  I don't understand weekly leagues.  To me...the daily grind of playing matchups and really "managing" your squad is really the fun of the game.  Our league tends to be real close most years and every K matters in the scope of the standings so it makes for a great 6 month battle.

While I agree with you it also can become so tedious and time consuming.

I used to be such a roto snob as my first experience with fantasy 20 years ago in like 8th grade or so was H2H and I got screwed a few times so I got on that kick (that many are also on) H2H is so luck based and roto is more skill based etc...

But over the last probably 5 years or so I've come back around on that and realized both have their fair share of luck and while roto it may offer less parody it isn't void of luck and it doesn't always reward the best team ever.  Roto is more about the most balanced team as opposed to the best team.  If you lead HRs by double the next team your points are still maxed out.  Whereas H2H you could go undefeated in some categories you've dominated and you can build a team around a certain strategy more so than having to "draft the best player available" (which let's be honest is pretty much always the goal lol).

That being said my favorite leagues are honestly H2H categories daily lineups.  They offer the most strategy in starting players as well this type of league offers the most incentive to trade (more avenues for trading than compared to H2H points or even roto).

So I've kind of come around to the realization that H2H is less about "luck" and more about building the best team over the course of the season and then taking that team into the playoffs much like real baseball.  Whereas roto a lot of times team can win the roto season but come August on they have one of the worst teams in the league but they just hang on to their commanding lead. 

H2H also people tend to stay engaged longer than in roto.  You fall behind in roto it's a lot harder to make a come back.  Same goes for H2H (weekly W-T-L) whereas categories you could win every category for multiple weeks and make up massive amounts of ground.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 4:14 PM, parrothead said:

One of the first leagues I ever did in the mid 90's was an innings pitched league.  One of the challenges with the game shifting the way it does is that so many pitchers are not eligible for a traditional quality start either because they did not go 6 innings OR they did not start.  The Opener has become a factor, the innings and not getting 3rd time through the order dynamic is also a factor. 

Four maybe five years ago, my main league went to Modified Quality Start + wins - a Modified Quality start is 5 IP with 2 or less Runs, 6 or 7 innings with 3 runs or 8 with 4.  Not perfect, but lot of 5 inning guys, the issue these days is the Opener/Follower (although were still shallow enough league at 13-team mixed that the number of openers isnt a huge impact).  

Loving the modified quality start.  MQS + W honestly seems like an awesome scoring setting.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:31 PM, tonycpsu said:

Wins as a category is lame, but QS isn't much better.  It's really just crudely double-counting ERA as a counting stat, with an arbitrary inning threshold that fewer and fewer starters hit each season.

I've always been a ride or die with 5x5 guy, but with wins being so random and SV and SB being so scarce, this piece makes a compelling case that moving to a 6x6 format with IP as a category would be a step in the right direction.  It's not something you'd want to do with noobs who use standard cheat sheets for their drafts, but if you're in a league with people who can roll their own valuations based on the lower impact of SB/SV and the inclusion of IP (along with OBP and SLG) then I think it could work.

So my general thought is scoring settings should try to have equal ratio to counting categories or at least some what close.  In standard 5x5 counting categories are favored.  For hitters it's 4x counting categories to 1x ratio (avg) and with pitchers it is 3x counting categories (W,SV,K) to 2x ratio (ERA, WHIP).

I've been really digging and doing a lot of 7x7 (R, RBI, HR, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG x IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9) K/9 often is changed with K/BB or even BAA.  Also SV+Holds or using Holds to replace K/9 are other formats I've done that seemed to be a lot of fun.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:09 PM, bigbossman said:

Thoughts?

Having QS and not having W drastically destroys relief pitcher value.  IP probably is the most fair of the 3 if  you're looking at keeping RPs somewhat relevant.  As a quality RP can pitch as many innings as a 1 start starter on a given week.  Also while  you get less overall IP from RPs you tend to get better ratios so there's some give and take there.  Whereas teams just racking up the innings are likely going to drop off some in ratios (unless they have absolutely dominant pitching)

Holds is going to be the best category to increase the value of RPs.  Wrapping into SV+HLDS devalues closers but bumps up other RPs.  Having holds it's own category really bumps up middle relievers.  If you had holds and IP the good long reliever really becomes relevant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1