BackwardsKRay

Mike McCarthy 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, humanpuck said:

I came here looking for 5 pages of funny memes, I'm leaving disappointed. 

IMG_0877-1.jpg

Bold prediction.  .Mcarthy ends up as the bengals HC. .  . yes i am calling for the often predicted and never fulfilled removal of Marv. . :lol:

consolation prizes he takes over the Jets, Bucs or the Dolphins

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 1

He has been one of the coaches who held his team down, I felt along with Wade Phillips/Garrett in Dallas and the guys in San Diego, I felt those 3 regimes or coaches were holding their teams back.  

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching young packer fans realize that Super Bowl coaches & HoF qbs do not grow on trees.

cLcrGnW.png

Looks like it was the right move to get rid of McCarthy. Joe Philbin already has the Packers in control of other team's rosters, shouldn't be long until they're back into the Super Bowl.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Bold prediction.  .Mcarthy ends up as the bengals HC. .  . yes i am calling for the often predicted and never fulfilled removal of Marv. . :lol:

consolation prizes he takes over the Jets, Bucs or the Dolphins

Hue jackson is rumored to be the next bengals coach. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, championship or bust said:

Hue jackson is rumored to be the next bengals coach. 

That was before Mcarthy hit the market

McCarthy would be absolutely perfect on the Bengals.  Is he willing to work cheap?

Based on how good Cleveland has looked after Jackson's departure he wouldn't be a consideration if I were GM.  Not a fan of McCarthy either. His teams underachived with Arod at QB, that's not a recipe for success elsewhere imo.

Edited by Red Dog

26 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Why so much interest in this guy?

Do you mean why so much interest on these boards, or why so much interest around the league?

Both answers are a mystery.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

Do you mean why so much interest on these boards, or why so much interest around the league?

Both answers are a mystery.

2nd highest winning% during his 11(?) years in green bay. 4 championship games. A super bowl victory. Playoffs 8 years straight. Why wouldn't there be interest?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

2nd highest winning% during his 11(?) years in green bay. 4 championship games. A super bowl victory. Playoffs 8 years straight. Why wouldn't there be interest?

Weird. Those stats reflect his QBs for those years exactly.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 8:01 AM, The Land Of Real Beer said:

Weird. Those stats reflect his QBs for those years exactly.

Weird. He reaps the benefits of the QB he groomed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I recall Mike Sherman with his sterling winning percentage and collection of division crowns too. Funny, he followed a similar fate, ie, despite the record he was out after his first losing season / underperformance.

QB whisperer huh.

When he didn't have Rodgers (or Favre), he was the OC of teams that had noticeably mediocre to down years during his tenure..

What I always kind of found interesting was how he got the job in the first place, he was not very good OC with the Niners, matter of fact I was living in bay area at the time and they were talking how they needed a better OC to work with 1st overall pick Alex Smith and then next thing you know he had the Packers job.  Despite the 1 SB I felt like the Packers underperformed on his watch.   Pretty surprised he is getting interviews.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

QB whisperer huh.

When he didn't have Rodgers (or Favre), he was the OC of teams that had noticeably mediocre to down years during his tenure..

Did a great job with No.1 overall Alex Smith when he was the OC - Smith had 1 TD and 11 picks.  Real Whisperer....

50 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Weird. He reaps the benefits of the QB he groomed. 

That's like saying John Fox is the reason Manning was good. 

1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

That's like saying John Fox is the reason Manning was good. 

You people forget just how bad Rodgers looked his first two years in the league, don't you. McCarthy also got Favre to have one of his best seasons ever. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

You people forget just how bad Rodgers looked his first two years in the league, don't you. McCarthy also got Favre to have one of his best seasons ever. 

?

You mean his rookie year when he had 16 total pass attempts across 3 games in mop up duty? Or was it his second year when he had 15 total attempts in 2 games of mop up? Amazing sample size to come to the “conclusion” that he was bad in his first two years and McCarthy was the reason he improved once he became the starter.

Lol.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Haha 1

He was, in fact, quite bad his first 2 years. I'll forgive you for not knowing since you likely aren't a Packers fan but his poor play in camp/preseason was noted and reported on at the time. There's little doubt that McCarthy and his staff worked diligently with Rodgers early in his career to fix his robotic mechanics and footwork, which in turn helped unlock his potential.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

?

You mean his rookie year when he had 16 total pass attempts across 3 games in mop up duty? Or was it his second year when he had 15 total attempts in 2 games of mop up? Amazing sample size to come to the “conclusion” that he was bad in his first two years and McCarthy was the reason he improved once he became the starter.

Lol.

2019 just started, and this might be the dumbest thing I'll read all year. Congrats.

There's this thing called preseason where players can show where they are in their development. He was awful, against 3rd stringers, for the first few seasons, and couldn't even stay healthy in his limited snaps. 

Like the poster below you alluded to, if you're not a packer fan then I don't expect you to know everything GB related. But save your uniformed opinions; this board has a real problem with that. Aaron was awful, had the Tedford stigma coming out, and 23 other teams didn't want to touch him, including Mccarthey whos team passed on him at #1 overall. It's pretty well accepted that had Rodgers been thrust into a starting role immediately like most early round QBs are, he would've busted as he wasn't ready.