BackwardsKRay

Mike McCarthy 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Just because you are good with QBs that does not make you a good coach. 

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Just because you are good with QBs that does not make you a good coach. 

Probably smart enough to give the ball to Lynch at the goal line though...

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Probably smart enough to give the ball to Lynch at the goal line though...

That's so original and hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That's so original and hilarious.

I get it...you're over it and moved on.  

Image result for chief dryfuss gif

3 hours ago, psygolf said:

I get it...you're over it and moved on.  

Image result for chief dryfuss gif

It doesn't bother me anymore when people talk about it it's just a recycled and overused joke at this point. I will admit however, every time a replay of it pops up I want to chug a bottle of Bacardi 151. 

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

People thought Matt Flynn was good, I'll give McCarthy that.

He very well may be incredible with QBs. However, he also seems to be not very good at literally every other aspect that goes into being an NFL coach. He would likely make a great OC and an even better QBs coach. However, I doubt that will ever happen and he will just get another HC job. 

That being said, he also isn't as bad as some other people seem to think. Management gets some of the blame here as well. He was never Carroll or Belichick. There's only a few coaches that can turn out winning seasons year after year. In large part, he was used as a scapegoat for Rodgers choking away games himself.

Lol I feel the opposite. I think McCarthy is good at handling an entire operation and leading a group of men, but IDK if he can do that and still be the playcaller at this stage. Would feel better if he simply was HC and brought in an OC who can bring fresh concepts/ideas to the table and let him be the playcaller. Issue is I don't think that's what ends up happening when/if McCarthy gets another gig

8 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Lol I feel the opposite. I think McCarthy is good at handling an entire operation and leading a group of men, but IDK if he can do that and still be the playcaller at this stage. Would feel better if he simply was HC and brought in an OC who can bring fresh concepts/ideas to the table and let him be the playcaller. Issue is I don't think that's what ends up happening when/if McCarthy gets another gig

The biggest things he has gotten crap for is:

A: Inability to challenge plays whatsoever. This includes challenging plays that have no business being challenged and not challenging plays that are obviously called incorrectly. 

B: Inability to manage the end game correctly. This includes mismanagement of the clock and timeouts and also play calling. 

Both of those fall directly on the coach. You may be right about hiring someone else and that would fix point B for the most part. A big thing with him after all has been that he does everything right except during the game. 

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2019 at 10:20 AM, smetana34 said:

2019 just started, and this might be the dumbest thing I'll read all year. Congrats.

There's this thing called preseason where players can show where they are in their development. He was awful, against 3rd stringers, for the first few seasons, and couldn't even stay healthy in his limited snaps. 

Like the poster below you alluded to, if you're not a packer fan then I don't expect you to know everything GB related. But save your uniformed opinions; this board has a real problem with that. Aaron was awful, had the Tedford stigma coming out, and 23 other teams didn't want to touch him, including Mccarthey whos team passed on him at #1 overall. It's pretty well accepted that had Rodgers been thrust into a starting role immediately like most early round QBs are, he would've busted as he wasn't ready. 

Over react much? It’s the internet. Calm down.

Edited by ThreadKiller

How did the McCarthy coached Packers rank in ppg when Rodgers was healthy-?