Sign in to follow this  
LoGo

Pittsburgh Pirates 2019 Outlook

Coming off an 82-79 season with almost the entire 25-man roster returning. Could be a really interesting team to watch in a loaded NL Central.

Dickerson - Marte - Polanco is one of the top trios in the national league. 

Bell - Frazier - Moran locked in at 1b, 2b, 3b, but SS is an interesting situation. Recently acquired Erik Rodriguez (from Cleveland for Jordan Luplow and Max Moroff) is an option as is Kevin Newman, but the Pittsburgh higher-ups are probably hoping Jung Ho-Kang can be the guy holding down everyday SS responsibilities. Fantasy owners probably are as well, but I doubt it at this point. Of course all that can change if the Pirates surprise everyone and re-sign Mercer or pick up the Harrison option. 

Obviously Cervelli and Diaz will handle the catching duties.

Taillon - Archer - Musgrove - Williams - Nova leave much to be desired. Nick Kingham was atrocious in 2018, so he can only go up from here, right? Chad Kuhl isn't an option with his blown out elbow, but I'd expect/hope to see Mitch Keller at some point.

Vasquez - Crick - Kela - Rodriguez, the bullpen is the best it's been since I can remember. 

Thoughts from the Yinzers?

Not a yinzer, but the complete lack of power on this team is going to hold it back in an era where even bums can hit 20 homers. I expect .500 again from the tram. They have okay balance overall, but nothing to get excited about either. Brutal division as well. 

Will the Archer trade look like this generations Colon for Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips in a few years?

Edited by Slatykamora

The Archer trade was senseless. The Pirates already had a really good rotation with top prospect Keller waiting in the wings. They need exciting offensive players, they have few. A guy like Meadows should have been no touchy policy. The cheapness of the Pirates is another factor. I live here and this city buzzes about how good the Steelers and Penguins are, but even during the Pirates 13 game winning streak last year, NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE I talked to had any confidence in this organization. It's sad, because PNC is an incredible baseball experience. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

The Archer trade was senseless. The Pirates already had a really good rotation with top prospect Keller waiting in the wings. They need exciting offensive players, they have few. A guy like Meadows should have been no touchy policy. The cheapness of the Pirates is another factor. I live here and this city buzzes about how good the Steelers and Penguins are, but even during the Pirates 13 game winning streak last year, NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE I talked to had any confidence in this organization. It's sad, because PNC is an incredible baseball experience. 

Yeah Austin Meadows and Glasnow was a complete over pay in my eyes and for what?  To fall 10 games short of the playoffs?  That's a pretty terrible miscalculation by management if you ask me.  In the next year or two Meadows and Glasnow could both be single handedly worth more than Archer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah Austin Meadows and Glasnow was a complete over pay in my eyes and for what?  To fall 10 games short of the playoffs?  That's a pretty terrible miscalculation by management if you ask me.  In the next year or two Meadows and Glasnow could both be single handedly worth more than Archer.

And the Rays also will have control over Glasnow and Meadows longer than the Pirates will have Archer too. (He's a FA in 2022). But wait there's more! The Rays also got Baz in the deal too he was a top pitching prospect out of the 2017 draft. He's 19 so who knows what he ends up being but yikes that's quite a haul for a 30 year old Archer who had not even been pitching well at the time too..

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 12:16 PM, FouLLine said:

Yep, you got it. I know Glasnow was very shaky at times, but you don't just toss that kind of arm into the trash. Meadows is a legit OF, if that power comes which it looks like it may, he has 20-20 potential with a good average written all over him. 

The Rays have some excellent young players, their farm is good and their 2018 draft was outstanding as they added at least two legitimate arms to the mix, and have many more pitchers in their system. Their current starting rotation lacks depth, but if Honeywell makes it back in 2019 and they let Yarbrough just be a starter that helps right there. 

When did Glasnow become such a good pitcher? Even comparing last year his time with the Bucs is pretty much the same as the time with the Rays. He will be facing better teams in worse parks with the DH instead of a pitcher to face in lineups. The only thing positive is the Rays pitching coach who is tall, like Glasnow, and might be able to help him from the standpoint of repeating his delivery. Otherwise, he is what he is a 4AAAA pitcher. Solid in AAA and a head case when promoted. 

On 11/22/2018 at 7:07 PM, kwolf68 said:

Yeah went to PNC for first time last year, it was great, game was a rough watch at times, Dbacks and Bucs scoreless into extra innings.  That was a horrible deal for Archer IMO.  I guess maybe they felt like they needed to "go for it" after getting into contention in a year where they dealt their most popular player in Cutch and probably second most popular in Cole.  Whats ironic is I didnt think they got good returns on those guys and then they overpaid I thought for a declining Archer.