Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Little Birdie

Emmanuel Mudiay 2018-2019 Season Outlook

On 12/4/2018 at 9:34 AM, Forever Smooth said:

Don't drink Fiz's Kool-Aid. Said earlier this year, the only one to trust is Hardaway. Tried Vonleh and Mitch Rob, never again. Got Hardaway on two teams. And look, I'm scared at some point his pt will get reduced. Difficult finding consistent bigs on the wire, which I'm looking for now.

gulp gulp gulp

Edited by pduce242424
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

gulp gulp gulp

I said earlier, he's making eat my words. He's crushing it right now! No stocks this game but 12-21 and 2 TO's. Is this the same guy?!! 

1 hour ago, papocrain said:

Scooped Mudiay and TJ Warren off from waiver in my peanut league. Feeling good with my team because of them (after losing LeVert).  

Fixed

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Forever Smooth said:

This was a kid in his rookie year in Denver who I had high hopes for. Had him on at least 2/4 of my teams. Looked at his footage. Fast, athletic, jump out the gym, alladat. Said to myself this kid gonna be good one day. First year was awful, just downright. Everything stat you can think of. TO to assist ratio, FG%, 3pt%. I was hoping by the middle of his soph year he figure it. Nope. 3rd year comes the Blue Arrow. Murray came in and you could tell right off the bat, he was better than Mudiay. Matter of fact, took his spot. By this time I just chalked him as not being good enough to make it the league. Fast forward to the present, everything is better. He's making me eat my words. Most can't believe what he's doing. The biggest improvement is his TO's to assist. FG% as well. Though it is the Knicks on a bad team and not meaningful, my man is working to stay in the league and proving me wrong. I had to pick him up where I could. Who would've thought Emmanuel Mudiay is a must own? Forgot to mention he's a burly 6'4 PG  which I considered as well. There were those (coaches, scouts)  including me that thought he was gonna give opposing guards the business one day.

You really think this is sustainable with the wonky Knicks rotation every other week...

Also I picked him up as a streamer for Sunday and boy did I not see this coming, but what's the consensus, is he a keeper all year potentially, what could derail his minutes possibly?

3 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

image.jpeg.6070dec46f97c65cfb1cb95d05e92e2f.jpeg

Indeed. I'ma hold on til' the wheels fall off. They saw what Frank can do. Think a serious injury is the only thing that derails his minutes. Who knows, he might get traded. I hope not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kobe824 said:

You really think this is sustainable with the wonky Knicks rotation every other week...

Also I picked him up as a streamer for Sunday and boy did I not see this coming, but what's the consensus, is he a keeper all year potentially, what could derail his minutes possibly?

I am, cuz someone for sure will pick him up as soon as you drop him and you would never see him on the wire again. 12 team and above, he's a keeper.

• Like 1

I can't trust Fizdale but I guess I'll go down with the ship.  He's graduated from "Can stream and give you decent numbers" to "I guess I'll roster the dude until he puts up a couple duds in a row".

I think two things bode well for Mud rest of season:  

1. Fiz loves him. Mudiay was his pet project and the reporters are still bringing up how on his first day he told Mud he would "get him right". That's a big feather in his cap.   

2. He said that he wanted to settle into a starting lineup by about 25 games in. We're past that and I think it's starting to settle in. Mudiay/THJ/Knox/Vonleh/Kanter seems to be a go, but I do think he will try to protect Knox is he struggles a lot. 

On the flip side, if the Knicks want to tank more they may play Trier or Hezonja or some donair vendor at the point in order to lose as many games as possible. 

Mudiay's December (9 games):  20/4/6 on 48/37/83.

In all likelihood not gonna keep it up but I'm rolling with him until he cools down.

This guy did a good breakdown of Mudiay's recent success and likelihood of sustaining it:

https://wfan.radio.com/blogs/john-schmeelk/knicks-emmanuel-mudiay-real

If you are too lazy to read the article, short answer is : No, unless Mudiay keeps shooting 49% on midrange shots (18th best in the NBA  - ahead of Kawhi, Lowry, Klay, Conley, and LIllard). 

He hasn't improved % at the rim or at the 3pt line, so the regression to mean is likely to come. 

18 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

This guy did a good breakdown of Mudiay's recent success and likelihood of sustaining it:

If you are too lazy to read the article, short answer is : No, unless Mudiay keeps shooting 49% on midrange shots (18th best in the NBA  - ahead of Kawhi, Lowry, Klay, Conley, and LIllard). 

He hasn't improved % at the rim or at the 3pt line, so the regression to mean is likely to come. 

I read it. A detractor and opinionated, though he did mash numbers. It's one of those what has he done lately kinda' thing and right now he's putting up numbers, +numbers. I'm holding on. I'm rooting for him cuz I thought he was gonna be good, just has to be consistent. If he falls of, then oh well..

19 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

i remember reading about jordan crawford when he was scoring a bunch. he was hitting like 51% from mid range and sure enough regressed and was droppable. mudiay has upside though but yeah he can fall off 

50 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

i remember reading about jordan crawford when he was scoring a bunch. he was hitting like 51% from mid range and sure enough regressed and was droppable. mudiay has upside though but yeah he can fall off 

Yeah, Crawford was on a serious heater 4-5 years ago. For Mudiay, it's the Knicks man. Could he do this when games mean something, like a playoff hunt, better yet with other good players. I tend to think not. Right now, he's a good position to build off what's going on now though. Sort of a confidence builder. And maybe that's what he needed, him and Knox. Someone like Coach Fiz. 

I think there's no question his FG% falls off. But with THJ dealing with plantar fasciitis that is going to mean at least the possibility of decent usage for Mudiay. 

Could easily see 17/6 for him the rest of the way, question is whether he can keep his 3s and steals high enough to support his value. 

Even if the shooting dips, his other stats and usage should mean he retains 12 team value at the very least.

That is, until Fizdale pulls him out of the rotation without warning.

1 hour ago, JStyles said:

Even if the shooting dips, his other stats and usage should mean he retains 12 team value at the very least.

That is, until Fizdale pulls him out of the rotation without warning.

hes barely clinging to 12 team value over the season and if his "shooting dips" to his career 39% shooting with his "other stats" like his terrible free throw shooting, and his assists that are also way above career averages the past week or 2, hell be a 20 teamer

his shooting needs to stay around 47% or his value will fall off a cliff

Edited by panthers93
  • Like 1

This is one guy I refuse to pick up no matter what stats I see on the boxscore. Seen enough of this scrub in denver. :ph34r:

For what its worth, I drafted Burke and Ntilikina but avoided any NYK player since week 2 when I saw all the incosistency from Fitzdale's rotations.

But with most of the dust settled, I actually think Mudiaye is here to stay as he is more multi-faceted compared to Burke and Ntilikina.

Last night he was multi-faceted in killing both your FG% and FT%.  Reminded me why I have been hesitant to actually use him even during this great stretch.

I realize last night was an outlier, but it was pretty damn bad.

I punt FT% and I have Giannis and Harrell to boost my FG%. So yeah, he fits some teams but destroys others.