Letitbe793

Nico Hoerner-SS/2B-CHC

Finally, a Cubs prospect to get excited about again! 

6'1" middle infielder was a great hitter at Stanford and drafted by the cubs in the first round. Injured elbow ligament only a few games into his pro debut but has been one of the best hitters in the Arizona Fall League with a .337 AVG and a .867 OPS. He is a player on the rise. I expect to see him on some 2019 preseason top 100 prospect lists after this performance and especially given he is a cub and the hype that surrounds their players. Could move quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Finally, a Cubs prospect to get excited about again! 

6'1" middle infielder was a great hitter at Stanford and drafted by the cubs in the first round. Injured elbow ligament only a few games into his pro debut but has been one of the best hitters in the Arizona Fall League with a .337 AVG and a .867 OPS. He is a player on the rise. I expect to see him on some 2019 preseason top 100 prospect lists after this performance and especially given he is a cub and the hype that surrounds their players. Could move quickly. 

Despite being drafted just last July and missing a great deal of time with injury, I think his very strong AFL means he's going to start in AA next year.Nico's ceiling isn't huge, but he should hit for a very high average, steal some bags thanks to  some above avove above average speak and maybe even grow into 

• Like 1

He's super interesting.

Anyone see that new prospectslive site's list of draftees, think they re-listed today...he was #5

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's super interesting.

Anyone see that new prospectslive site's list of draftees, think they re-listed today...he was #5

Saw it. Super interesting. Some people may have gotten him after 10 in fypd before. I'm guessing that will be harder to do now.

We all knew he could hit, but certainly more power than most expected...and wow,  was really locked in at the plate during the AFL (showing no ill effects from his previous elbow injury).

Temper expectations, but solid contributions across the board aren't far fetched to dream on.

Cubs aren't afraid to fast track draftees to the majors.....which may ultimately punch his ticket to Wrigley by late 2019???? 

FWIW, He is a prime example of why ( I believe) FYPD should take place soon-after the actual Rule IV, in order to reward those that do their due diligence prior to off-season prospect list distribution. 

• Like 2

Hoerner was just ranked as the #41 overall prospect by ProspectsLive

6cf8c383243c3a1744c228f72342a0be.png

I love what I see at the plate. Very quick, compact swing. LOUD sound off the bat. Strong, athletic body with surprisingly thin, wiry-strong legs. Thick upper body. Could almost be Trout's little brother. Similar physicality but not nearly as Tooled Up™ (or lanky - Trout is 3 inches taller -  and has far more muscle). 

There is something special/different about him that I can't quite put my finger on.

Personally I'd rank his future Hit/Power/Speed (forgive me for not rounding by 5's):

Hit - 57

Power - 51

Speed - 59

Optimistic? Sure. 

(for comparison, Pipeline gave him a 55-40-60)

He's a little unconventional and the swing followthrough gives me pause,  but it won't be long before he joins Bryant, Baez, and Rizzo in Chicago.

I think he'll be a key cog in their machine for years to come. Possibly as a #2 hitter with peak seasons of the .286-95-23-78-15   variety 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

The secret of Nico appears to be out. I will likely reach for him in my dynasty league and take in the first round. I don't have any 2nd rd picks and I plan on him likely becoming my 2B of the future as Altuve gets older. 

20 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

The secret of Nico appears to be out. I will likely reach for him in my dynasty league and take in the first round. I don't have any 2nd rd picks and I plan on him likely becoming my 2B of the future as Altuve gets older. 

Went 7th overall in my first year player draft 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Went 7th overall in my first year player draft 

I need him to make it to pick 1.10 in my dynasty draft next month. I may be able to trade up to 1.7 from 1.10 but it will likely cost me more than what I will likely want to pay. 

5 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

I need him to make it to pick 1.10 in my dynasty draft next month. I may be able to trade up to 1.7 from 1.10 but it will likely cost me more than what I will likely want to pay. 

I don't think you should trade up. Decent chance horner falls and while I like him, there's a lot of good players. I don't think he's head above heels a slam dunk prospect 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't think you should trade up. Decent chance horner falls and while I like him, there's a lot of good players. I don't think he's head above heels a slam dunk prospect 

I agree there are a lot of good players and probably shouldnt trade up. I'm just high on him and want him on my team. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Possibly as a #2 hitter with peak seasons of the .286-95-23-78-15   variety 

probably too generous with the power. let's see him hit 12 homers in a season first. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

probably too generous with the power. let's see him hit 12 homers in a season first. 

I think he has 20 HR pop in his bat.  I really like Hoerner.  He's underrated and should be a fast riser on lists really soon.  His hit tool is special and he's got enough power and speed to matter.

Posted (edited)

Eno Sarris wrote a piece listing out "his guys" within the past couple weeks and Nico was on there. He noted that Nico was "talking to the right coaches" and starting to lift the ball more. He also predicted that Nico would "zoom up the rankings". 

I also read an article which stated that Nico went to a closed batting stance prior to the AFL which he attributed some of his success there to. The vibe I get from all the various stuff you can google about the kid is that he could always hit, but since being drafted and going to the AFL he has felt the freedom to change some things about his swing and approach which could (already has) unlock the power. While at Stanford he was hesitant to make changes because he didn't want any negative consequences from those changes to impact hte team's success, which is of course admirable. 

I love the prospects that have the hit tool but are maturing into power, or are making adjustments to hit for power. Also with the way the ball is flying at the big league level these days theres even more reason to be optimistic about this kid. 

Edited by hgh22

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, Coach George said:

I think he has 20 HR pop in his bat.  I really like Hoerner.  He's underrated and should be a fast riser on lists really soon.  His hit tool is special and he's got enough power and speed to matter.

agreed! in case you missed it, I was actually quoting my own 'peak projection' from earlier:
"Possibly as a #2 hitter with peak seasons of the .286-95-23-78-15   variety"

that's based on limited looks though. It's more like "woah, something about him pops"   but it's hard to pinpoint precisely what the power and speed projections are. 
Best case scenario: future RW posters write things like "Best case scenario: Nico Horner" 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Nick Senzel in a Cubbie uniform.........

I have been telling leaguemates he's senzel with more speed at a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't swap him for senzel.