• Announcements

• tonycpsu

Comments on New Forum Design (UPDATED with workarounds)   02/12/2019

We are aware that the current layout of the Rotoworld forums is not going over well, and we feel your pain.  Please direct any comments about the new look of the forums to help@rotoworld.com, or to this thread. For those who are able to install user styles, (e.g. with the Stylish addon for Firefox or Chrome), you may wish to try a couple of user-created alternative styles. RW Forums Tweaks by tonycpsu Rotoworld Forums Dark Mode by sngehl01  
Dugout Legend

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

5 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Not really. The value of owning him is truly as a pitcher, so you use the DL spot, compensate yourself with a player and that's that.

How you think his pitching relates to his hitting is the convoluted part of this.

You're staking a special claim that exists for no other owner of any other pitcher on IR. 

This is why he should be 1 player. The fact that those that have him split and are on the pitcher side cant put him on DL is crazy. 

12 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Not really. The value of owning him is truly as a pitcher, so you use the DL spot, compensate yourself with a player and that's that.

How you think his pitching relates to his hitting is the convoluted part of this.

You're staking a special claim that exists for no other owner of any other pitcher on IR. 

Now you are writing use the DL spot? I am lost . You make no sense. 

Yahoooo has Ohtani as a pitcher & hitter. 

You are n a keeper/dynasty league you own Ohtani the pitcher ... I am reading Ohtani will not pitch in 2019. You can’t drop him and you can’t IR him either. It seems you will be wasting a roster spot owning Ohtani. 

What is your point talking about other pitchers on off days? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Now you are writing use the DL spot? I am lost . You make no sense. 

Yahoooo has Ohtani as a pitcher & hitter. 

You are n a keeper/dynasty league you own Ohtani the pitcher ... I am reading Ohtani will not pitch in 2019. You can’t drop him and you can’t IR him either. It seems you will be wasting a roster spot owning Ohtani. 

What is your point talking about other pitchers on off days?

They can't DL him because they use the MLB rules for the DL list.  Yes it it frustrating but hey they don't NA a player who is suspended half a season either. 

Just glad I don't own the guy.  I do feel a bit sorry for the guys who own Ohtani Pitcher in my dynasty leagues because they were worst in the league two years ago and got the first pick in the mini-draft trying to rebuild their teams and they all chose Ohtani Pitcher.  So they are kind of back to square one this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Either you're misunderstanding how Yahoo works, or we are all misunderstanding what you're trying to say.

The problem is that on Yahoo, Ohtani SP will NOT be given a DL tag for the entire season - because he won't be on the official MLB DL once he's healthy enough to hit and join the Angels MLB roster. So that means owners who have the pitcher version are stuck using an active roster spot on him all season. That or just outright  dropping him.

Which is pretty LOL if you think about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cs3 said:

Either you're misunderstanding how Yahoo works, or we are all misunderstanding what you're trying to say.

The problem is that on Yahoo, Ohtani SP will NOT be given a DL tag for the entire season - because he won't be on the official MLB DL once he's healthy enough to hit and join the Angels MLB roster. So that means owners who have the pitcher version are stuck using an active roster spot on him all season. That or just outright  dropping him.

The solution here is to allow the team to drop him and have an agreement between league members he isn't to be picked up during season.

• Like 4

i have not seen any mention of the new ESPN system. this was a drastic change.

i don't mind change, in many cases i welcome it.. with that said, there are a lot of things that are not for the better.

i also understand this is not the finished product from what i have heard (?)

my biggest issue with the new rollout is the message board.

i can't imagine that espn (run by disney) has found the internets absolute worst message board in existence. there is not even an edit or delete feature. i thought the other message board was bad the way it capped your characters, and had minimal functionality - but this is SO much worse than i could have ever imagines in todays web.

does anybody know what changes will be coming from espn as this new platform rolls out?

10 hours ago, cs3 said:

You are correct I didn't understand. I agree that's BS.

1 hour ago, PinstripedPlayers said:

i have not seen any mention of the new ESPN system. this was a drastic change.

i don't mind change, in many cases i welcome it.. with that said, there are a lot of things that are not for the better.

i also understand this is not the finished product from what i have heard (?)

my biggest issue with the new rollout is the message board.

i can't imagine that espn (run by disney) has found the internets absolute worst message board in existence. there is not even an edit or delete feature. i thought the other message board was bad the way it capped your characters, and had minimal functionality - but this is SO much worse than i could have ever imagines in todays web.

does anybody know what changes will be coming from espn as this new platform rolls out?

Go back to the first page here, or check out the fantasy basketball platform section found on page 8 in the basketball section.

ESPN rolled the new fantasy basketball platform first, followed that up with baseball and you can expect it will continue with football. 

4 hours ago, duke of queens said:

The solution here is to allow the team to drop him and have an agreement between league members he isn't to be picked up during season.

Yep, this is probably the best work around. The only problem is that it effectively gives the Ohtani owner an extra DL slot. 

And that would be complicated by the fact the fact that at the beginning of the year he actually will be on the DL for some brief amount of time. 

Yahoo basically kicked us in the nuts

Workaround to the workaround: force the Ohtani (Pitcher) owner to hold a placeholder in their DL spot.  Chad Kuhl isn't due back until 2020 and won't be owned in most leagues.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, SuperJoint said:

Why would you think you're entitled to this? All owners of NL pitchers should therefore get the same privilege when those pitchers are on off days by this logic.

You draft a pitcher to pitch and a hitter to hit, right?

Im not entitled...if Scherzer was out with a Tommy John all season...and you couldn't put him in the DL all season and burn a spot..im sure you would think thats BS.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cs3 said:

Yep, this is probably the best work around. The only problem is that it effectively gives the Ohtani owner an extra DL slot. 

And that would be complicated by the fact the fact that at the beginning of the year he actually will be on the DL for some brief amount of time. 

Yahoo basically kicked us in the nuts

Why can't Yahoo make up their minds and either make them completely 2 different players or keep him as one...this problem has been in their face for over for at least 4 months now or more...however long Ohtani the pitcher has been out for.

On ESPN league home page - when will the 2018 Top Finishers go away?

Is there a way for the LM to change what is being shown on the home page?

If Yahoo H2H leagues draft after the Japan series, do those leagues have to wait until Week 2 (April 8) for scoring to start?  Can't find a clear answer.

11 minutes ago, DogLegLeft said:

If Yahoo H2H leagues draft after the Japan series, do those leagues have to wait until Week 2 (April 8) for scoring to start?  Can't find a clear answer.

• Thanks 3

okay stumbled into this board looking for something else but read all 8 pages and all good stuff...

running a league for 10 yrs at espn but hate, hate, hate the new interface and its incompleteness.  what i especially loathe is espn support...they seem not to care...

it would be great if there was someone who could communicate better...someone that i feel more inclined to 'trust'.

right now their responses are vague at best.  'we're working on it..'

this new format wiped out 10 yrs of our league's history...is it coming back?  they won't say (which kinda means it ain't)

why couldn't they just let us know they were removing it and give us time to copy all the info?  hard to understand what they are thinking.

i'm happy that they adding so many prospects...it was a long time coming...yet last year they told us they didn't feel a need to add prospects until they played in the majors.  so what changed?  how can i trust anything they say?

now that i vented, how's fantrax?  some of u said u hated it.  any specifics outside of the junk mobile app or lack of one?

i need to look for an alternative in case espn implodes and ruins baseball like they did hockey and basketball.

Edited by glworld
spelling errors

I personally love Fantrax and they have excellent customer support.

• Like 1

Yahoo has the best mobile app and has always had more prospects than ESPN in the past.  Also free like ESPN.  All platforms have their weakness and Yahoo only allows an active roster max of 30 though they have 10 NA slots as well but those don';t pop up until after the draft each year so us dynasty owners have to go through workarounds to keep everyone or drop some players we don't want to drop each year, sigh.  (I always drop my relievers to keep my prospects).

with espn, we have a 40 limit roster size that can include prospects...i like that fantrax allows prospects to be separate, then all teams can compete with 40 active players and at the same time keep the dimension of developing prospects for the future.

Edited by glworld

9 hours ago, glworld said:

okay stumbled into this board looking for something else but read all 8 pages and all good stuff...

running a league for 10 yrs at espn but hate, hate, hate the new interface and its incompleteness.  what i especially loathe is espn support...they seem not to care...

it would be great if there was someone who could communicate better...someone that i feel more inclined to 'trust'.

right now their responses are vague at best.  'we're working on it..'

this new format wiped out 10 yrs of our league's history...is it coming back?  they won't say (which kinda means it ain't)

why couldn't they just let us know they were removing it and give us time to copy all the info?  hard to understand what they are thinking.

i'm happy that they adding so many prospects...it was a long time coming...yet last year they told us they didn't feel a need to add prospects until they played in the majors.  so what changed?  how can i trust anything they say?

now that i vented, how's fantrax?  some of u said u hated it.  any specifics outside of the junk mobile app or lack of one?

i need to look for an alternative in case espn implodes and ruins baseball like they did hockey and basketball.

Probably gone as same happened in my basketball league.

9 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Probably gone as same happened in my basketball league.

I found this on reddit a week or two ago. I have no clue what all this means. Writing scripts too technical for this old man. Maybe this might help. 

10 hours ago, jb_power said:

I personally love Fantrax and they have excellent customer support.

Has their mobile app improved? 

Edited by Gryfter

installed the fantrax app on my mac, iphone and ipad.  it's a 'progressive web app'.

had to look up what that actually is...

"A progressive web application takes advantage of the latest technologies to combine the best of web and mobile apps. Think of it as a website built using web technologies but that acts and feels like an app. Recent advancements in the browser and in the availability of service workers and in the Cache and Push APIs have enabled web developers to allow users to install web apps to their home screen, receive push notifications and even work offline."

here's the full article https://medium.com/@amberleyjohanna/seriously-though-what-is-a-progressive-web-app-56130600a093

anyway i thought it would be bad but its pretty fast.  hopefully this is a temp 'app' to address complaints and they are working on a 'real' app like real companies.  but for me, this is very doable.

ESPN restored our league's Standings History...no past season's messages but its a step in the right direction.

i just wish they would be more transparent and customer friendly.  they used to have a Fantasy Forum years ago but they shut it down.  i guess they viewed it as too many complaints.  most companies would have viewed it as valuable 'feedback'.

i think that started the detachment between espn and the users...