• Announcements

• tonycpsu

Comments on New Forum Design (UPDATED with workarounds)   02/12/2019

We are aware that the current layout of the Rotoworld forums is not going over well, and we feel your pain.  Please direct any comments about the new look of the forums to help@rotoworld.com, or to this thread. For those who are able to install user styles, (e.g. with the Stylish addon for Firefox or Chrome), you may wish to try a couple of user-created alternative styles. RW Forums Tweaks by tonycpsu Rotoworld Forums Dark Mode by sngehl01  
Dugout Legend

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

How is the Fantrax app listed? I cannot find it in the app store on my iphone. I just put in "Fantrax" and it does not show. 

@glworld My favorite platform is Yahoo, but they're no better than ESPN when it comes to customer support. Might even be worse. I like its setup and look and usability better than any other platform's...but that could just be because of my familiarity with it. I did ESPN for several years, and I just hated it. I'm in a CBS keeper league right now and it's okay I guess, but I cannot stand the layout and the way it's set up. It's more tedious to navigate than Yahoo, imho. I did a Fantrax league last year and just didn't like its appearance or its usability. It wasn't bad, and I'd probably get used to it after a while, but it was rather "meh" for me. There's a lot of love for Fantrax here, but I think it has more to do with the customer service and the wide array of customization possibilities than its interface. 

And to add, I'm not a Yahoo fanboy. They have many flaws, but I've been playing fantasy sports on it since 2005, so I'm very accustomed to it and have grown to like it. It's not perfect by any means, but I've yet to find another platform that I'd choose over it. But that's just my opinion and perspective. As you can see from this thread, there are a variety of likes, dislikes, and preferences, and that's a good thing. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 5

from their website...

"Welcome to the Future!

The first PWA (Progressive Web App) for fantasy sports is here! Powered by the latest web technologies available on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome OS, you can install this on any or all of your devices in a snap!

We will be releasing it to the Google/Apple app stores, but to get it now, follow the directions below

Just click or tap on one of the icons below and you're on your way!

As the only Fantasy Sports Commissioner / League Manager PWA, you will enjoy the following:

• Run the Fantrax app from your home screen on your mobile device like you do any other app
  • No more scaled-down versions for your mobile device - you get one uniform AND COMPLETE platform on all devices
  • Rapid release of new features - other platforms release 2 new features per year, we release 20!
  • No need to ever run a browser - even on your PC or Mac!
  • Push Notifications coming soon!"

on the menu in the upper right, the 1st choice is "Mobile App"

You know the worst thing about the Ohtani/Yahoo problem is? Brandan McKay will eventually be up causing more headaches for people and I'm sure other players will follow in Ohtani's foot steps.

If only we could combine Fantrax's customizability with Yahoo's app.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

You know the worst thing about the Ohtani/Yahoo problem is? Brandan McKay will eventually be up causing more headaches for people and I'm sure other players will follow in Ohtani's foot steps.

If only we could combine Fantrax's customizability with Yahoo's app.

Yeah, and ESPN's... Uh, ESPN's, uhm, old website and app? 

I've never put stock in Yahoo rankings, but I was referencing them yesterday as part of my research and I kind of couldn't believe it. 

Tailored to a R, HR, RBI, SB, K, OBP / S, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, QS league, here are some of the crazier rankings I discovered:

42 - Sean Doolittle

46 - Roberto Osuna

71 - Aroldis Chapman

175 - Jesus Aguilar

219 - Jose Berrios

225 - Yoan Moncada

229 - Patrick Corbin

244 - Luis Castillo

246 - Jonathan Villar

316 - Adalberto Mondesi

404 - Jose Quintana

513 - Eduardo Rodriguez

545 - Chris Archer

Isn't a little nuts that, even without Ws as a stat, the RPs are so coveted and that SPs are so overlooked?  Not that this is a great crop of SPs, but what the hell is Doolittle doing at 42 and Corbin at 229?  It seems like Yahoo is forgetting about the QS stat altogether.  The bats make a bit more sense because of low OBP and negative Ks (Moncada, anybody?)....but...sheesh!  

While mostly I just found this funny, I will ultimately have to consider these rankings seriously in that keepers I picked up as FAs get slotted into the round of their corresponding Yahoo ranking.  So, while I could choose to keep the majority of those SPs as my final picks, it would cost me an arm and a leg for a consistent closer.  It all seems a little silly and difficult to navigate sensibly. 

I think you are wildly mistaken here.

Yahoo does not have these players at those rankings. Yahoo has Doolittle at 128, Osuna at 90

Corbin at 68

etc.

Pretty much every rank you stated is wildly wrong. I'm not sure where you are getting htis information, maybe from your specific league rankings? I don't get it. 

Overall, I think this is the best Yahoo has ever done at the pre-season ADP. I was actually quite sad because there isn't an obvious player I can target to get massive profit like years before. 

Yahoo adjusts rankings based on your league's stats.  So, what I listed are the pre-draft rankings Yahoo has come up with based on the custom categories of my league:

R, HR, RBI, SB, K, OBP

S, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, QS

1 minute ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Yahoo adjusts rankings based on your league's stats.  So, what I listed are the pre-draft rankings Yahoo has come up with based on the custom categories of my league:

R, HR, RBI, SB, K, OBP

S, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, QS

Ok, sure -- but Yahoo's pre draft ADP is constant for all leagues drafting. Does it really matter what your league skews the rankings too?

I'm also not sure how players like Patrick corbin go from being rated 68 in W/S/ERA/WHIP/K leagues to rank 229 in S/K/HLD/ERA/WHIP/QS leagues as you stated. Something seems to be amiss. 

It feels like your leagues rankings are heavily based on what those players did last year -- are you perhaps looking at last years end of season ranks? 

I checked my league out which replaces AVG with OBP and SLG and replaces W with QS and adds k/9, but none of my ranks seem to be changed at all. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. 

20 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I'm also not sure how players like Patrick corbin go from being rated 68 in W/S/ERA/WHIP/K leagues to rank 229 in S/K/HLD/ERA/WHIP/QS leagues as you stated. Something seems to be amiss. 

It feels like your leagues rankings are heavily based on what those players did last year -- are you perhaps looking at last years end of season ranks? 

Exactly!  It seems way off, right?  I'm glad I'm not going crazy.  I also thought that perhaps I was looking at the 2018 EOS ranks, but I assure you I am not.  

Those numbers I listed are straight from where I edit my 2019 pre-draft rankings.  On that page it says "The default pre-draft rankings are based on your league settings and not expert rankings."

The rankings are so far off I was sure I was doing something wrong, but the more I investigated the more I'm coming to the conclusion that either there's a bug, or this is really how Yahoo is ranking my league's unique settings.  It's mind-boggling.  

36 minutes ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Exactly!  It seems way off, right?  I'm glad I'm not going crazy.  I also thought that perhaps I was looking at the 2018 EOS ranks, but I assure you I am not.  

Those numbers I listed are straight from where I edit my 2019 pre-draft rankings.  On that page it says "The default pre-draft rankings are based on your league settings and not expert rankings."

The rankings are so far off I was sure I was doing something wrong, but the more I investigated the more I'm coming to the conclusion that either there's a bug, or this is really how Yahoo is ranking my league's unique settings.  It's mind-boggling.  

Yahoo's default pre-draft "order" (I hesitate to even call them rankings) have been awful for several years now ....they are completely useless.  Not sure what sort of algorithm they use to create that default ranking in the draft room......but it is a total joke.   But it really doesn't matter much because I always input my own rankings anyway, so it really doesn't matter how good or bad the default ranks are to begin with.

if you want the easy hack, just use ADP instead of their "ranks" .... .. Yahoo's  ADP represents a reasonable consensus ranking........you don't even have to actually change the ""pre-draft rankings " because you can just choose to list players based on ADP once you get into the draft room. 

Otherwise, use your own rankings .....or rankings you find elsewhere ..... to manually adjust all of the "pre-draft rankings."   One good thing is you can export your custom pre-draft ranks to any other Yahoo leagues  you have, so you only need to do it once.

To be fair, though, that pre-draft order is clearly created by a computer program an is completely different from Yahoo's "official" expert rankings .... which may not be the best but aren't unreasonable

Edited by misterf

On 2/3/2019 at 8:28 AM, PinstripedPlayers said:

i have not seen any mention of the new ESPN system. this was a drastic change.

i don't mind change, in many cases i welcome it.. with that said, there are a lot of things that are not for the better.

i also understand this is not the finished product from what i have heard (?)

my biggest issue with the new rollout is the message board.

i can't imagine that espn (run by disney) has found the internets absolute worst message board in existence. there is not even an edit or delete feature. i thought the other message board was bad the way it capped your characters, and had minimal functionality - but this is SO much worse than i could have ever imagines in todays web.

does anybody know what changes will be coming from espn as this new platform rolls out?

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any mechanism on ESPN to create a consolidated pre-draft ranking list that includes both pitchers and hitters? It looks like you have to create two separate lists?

ESPN?  here's what i know...

few years ago ESPN thought fantasy sports was dying...at least on their platform...i remember they used to have their own forum but got so many complaints that they shut it down...i'm thinking they didn't feel like improving the product or allocate any resources to it so they pretty much decided to let it die...then they made an one app for all fantasy games and they saw a jump in customers...

all of a sudden they are interested in making more improvements...so they advertise for more programmers for their fantasy products...

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/11/27/Media/Sports-Media.aspx

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/story/_/id/25135575/job-opportunities-work-espn-espn-fantasy-hiring-software-development-design-jobs

now they see money...now they want to improve the product...it was never bout the fans...its all the money...i would not be surprised if they eliminate free leagues when all the changes are done...of course it will come across as 'in order to better support the fans we will need to attach a small fee'.

thing is, their support is still the worst...no communication so no one knows what is going on...if there is any response, its usually generic  'canned' messages that really don't answer anything...

and if you call and ever speak to someone, they seem like they don't know anything about baseball, or any sports or fantasy games...clueless...at least that's been my experience...

fantrax looks good and may use it as a backup but still hoping espn will get their act together (only cuz its so hard to convince the league to change)

Edited by glworld

[Feedback about the new look of the RW forums have been moved over here, since they're about RW and not platforms that host fantasy baseball leagues.]

I completely ignore Y! default rankings. I've only played Y! for many years.

TBH maybe not 'completely' ignore in the first few rounds, just to make sure a good value isn't going unnoticed. But by the time you get to the middle of the 5th or so it's a hell of a lot more helpful to look at a) "Rank" sort and then b)"ADP" sort in the draft app (FYI the default is called "X-Rank"). "Somebody else" is compling those rankings and they are quite a bit different than Y! default and more in tune with what I think would be correct imo. Obviously otherwise you're drafting based upon team structure/need thereof.

@TheGreatest42 is correct in how ridiculous it is, but my feeling is the more you know what you're doing the more the skewed rankings of the platform you're using benefit you. 

Edited by SuperJoint

I have a question about ESPN leagues. I am the League Manager in my league but I don't see how I can edit the message board? How to delete old messages on the message board? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I completely ignore Y! default rankings. I've only played Y! for many years.

TBH maybe not 'completely' ignore in the first few rounds, just to make sure a good value isn't going unnoticed. But by the time you get to the middle of the 5th or so it's a hell of a lot more helpful to look at a) "Rank" sort and then b)"ADP" sort in the draft app (FYI the default is called "X-Rank"). "Somebody else" is compling those rankings and they are quite a bit different than Y! default and more in tune with what I think would be correct imo. Obviously otherwise you're drafting based upon team structure/need thereof.

@TheGreatest42 is correct in how ridiculous it is, but my feeling is the more you know what you're doing the more the skewed rankings of the platform you're using benefit you. 

Totally!  I always go into drafts with my own rankings, and the only reason I am looking into the Yahoo rankings is because anyone I picked up off of free agency last season will be kept in the corresponding round of their Yahoo Rank.  

I won't mind Eduardo Rodriguez or Adalberto Mondeski in the 23rd round, or Villar in the 21st.  But it kind of screws me on closers, who I don't want to touch in Round 4.  

51 minutes ago, TheGreatest42 said:

Totally!  I always go into drafts with my own rankings, and the only reason I am looking into the Yahoo rankings is because anyone I picked up off of free agency last season will be kept in the corresponding round of their Yahoo Rank.  

I won't mind Eduardo Rodriguez or Adalberto Mondeski in the 23rd round, or Villar in the 21st.  But it kind of screws me on closers, who I don't want to touch in Round 4.  

You think you are going to be able to draft Mondesi & Villar in what rounds? Good luck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

You think you are going to be able to draft Mondesi & Villar in what rounds? Good luck 

From my initial post on Monday: 

I've never put stock in Yahoo rankings, but I was referencing them yesterday as part of my research and I kind of couldn't believe it. 

Based on my league settings, which Yahoo adjusts their rankings to (my league is R, HR, RBI, SB, K, OBP / S, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, QS), here are some of the crazier rankings I discovered:

246 - Jonathan Villar (Round 21)

316 - Adalberto Mondesi (Round 23+)

513 - Eduardo Rodriguez (Round 23+)

It's insane that that is where they are ranked based on my league settings, but that is where they are.  Yahoo dumped their numbers in a hopper and this is where they came out, and since my league keeps previous season's FA's in the corresponding round of their rank, this is where I would get them.  

2 hours ago, TheGreatest42 said:

It's insane that that is where they are ranked based on my league settings, but that is where they are.  Yahoo dumped their numbers in a hopper and this is where they came out, and since my league keeps previous season's FA's in the corresponding round of their rank, this is where I would get them.  

Your league settings must be way off the beaten track.  Mondesi is pre-season rated at #69 on Yahoo in both std 5x5 and in a couple of my leagues that punt avg for obp and tb.

• Like 1

I think the confusion with Yahoo ranks is between the pre-season rank and the 'rank' given in the pre-draft rankings, which are screwy. What I see:

Mondesi:

pre-season rank 69

draft 'rank' 239

I have to autodraft in some leagues so I spend plenty of time in the pre-draft rankings area, and those rankings have no logic to what they are in the players list.

Edited by Tale of Two Fisters
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tale of Two Fisters said:

I think the confusion with Yahoo ranks is between the pre-season rank and the 'rank' given in the pre-draft rankings, which are screwy. What I see:

Mondesi:

pre-season rank 69

draft 'rank' 239

I have to autodraft in some leagues so I spend plenty of time in the pre-draft rankings area, and those rankings have no logic to what they are in the players list.

Okay so that was the problem.  Yeah draft rankings mean nothing.   Especially since few teams draft in the middle of February so they are totally screwy at this point after the first say 30 or 40 players.  The pre-season ranking is the one that counts especially when trying to leverage trades with fellow owners.

Anyone else having issues viewing player data and missing the “Add to Watchlist” “Add Player” buttons in the ESPN app? I click on lesser owned prospects or players and this data isn’t loading... Anyone else see this and knows how to fix it? Ive tried deleting and reinstalling the app to no avail.  The website works fine it’s just the app.

Anyone have any info on whether or not ESPN is going to fix their site before baseball season starts. I signed up for a basketball league on ESPN just to see what all the changes were about and it's just terrible. Practically unusable. You only can see half the player cards and can't scroll to see said players stats. It's just pretty bad in general.  I'm asking because we have one league left on ESPN and we're strongly considering just moving to another site and we'd like to move it sooner than later if that's the case.  Most likely Fantrax since that's really the only option left.  Not a fan of CBS.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, bjvance5 said:

Anyone else having issues viewing player data and missing the “Add to Watchlist” “Add Player” buttons in the ESPN app? I click on lesser owned prospects or players and this data isn’t loading... Anyone else see this and knows how to fix it? Ive tried deleting and reinstalling the app to no avail.  The website works fine it’s just the app.

In the basketball league I'm playing on ESPN the player data has pretty much been missing all year. It looked ok at first. Then when the games started and players started accumulating stats you could only see the stats from the last game played because it won't allow you to scroll down. It's been that way all season. If you try zooming in on a player card, the entire card will literally start moving off the screen and disappear. Lol.  Lucky for me I have another league on a different site so I could check stats there and then just go to the ESPN site to fix/set line-up.  Oh and don't even get me started on how long it takes to actually move players around and set your lineup on ESPN now. 🙄 Ridiculous.