Dugout Legend

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:13 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I wish Yahoo would allow me to delete all the stupid images uploaded on their app earlier and in the future.  My damn phone is clogged from a couple of idiots in one of my leagues who couldn't stop uploading picture gifs they thought were oh so cute and doing it endlessly.  One finally quit when he realized he wasn't in some 8 team easy league but too late for my phone. 

And Yahoo tech support admitted there is no way to get rid of them at all ... ever.  According to them not even uninstalling the app and re-installing will help.  Stupid stupid stupid design where you have no control over the content of your own phone.

God I hope they NEVER restore that uploader feature if they can't allow you to get rid of all that crap that some idiots love to upload.

Weren't you the one ranting about how awesome and perfect the app was after I said it was garbage and full of bugs? You specifically loved the chat feature lol. Sounds like you've changed your mind.

Just now, duke of queens said:

Laureano is not on the IL yet.

Okay then Yahoo lied to us because their pop-up read:

Wed, Jul 31

Athletics placed OF Ramon Laureano on the 10-day injured list with a stress reaction in his right shin.

Advice: A's manager Bob Melvin noted that the dynamic center fielder will be out for longer than 10 days. It's a big loss for Oakland and fantasy owners, as Laureano has delivered a .281 batting average and .849 OPS with 21 home runs, 58 RBI, 12 stolen bases, and 66 runs scored through 106 games this season after going 360th overall in the average Yahoo league this spring. Mark Canha started in center field for the Athletics on Tuesday night against the Brewers and could get regular run there for a while.

(Rotoworld.com)

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay then Yahoo lied to us because their pop-up read:

Not the first time nor the last.

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

Weren't you the one ranting about how awesome and perfect the app was after I said it was garbage and full of bugs? You specifically loved the chat feature lol. Sounds like you've changed your mind.

I always said the app chat worked fine EXCEPT for the inability to delete crap posted there.  And that was BEFORE they started making changes.  You were complaining about the "work in progress" status of the chat part of the app as I recall.

In happier news the idiot in my one league that filled my phone up with those endless mega pics and stupid and totally unfunny animated GIFs finally left and was replaced with a sane owner he would rather, gasp, use the chat app to talk trades instead.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You were complaining about the "work in progress" status of the chat part of the app as I recall.

No. I have no idea what "work in progress" you're even referring to.

I said the Yahoo app was garbage and there is no reason to use it, even for the chat, when there are a bunch of chat apps that work correctly and have more and better features. You disagreed lol.

Just now, cs3 said:

No. I have no idea what "work in progress" you're even referring to.

I said the Yahoo app was garbage and there is no reason to use it, even for the chat, when there are a bunch of chat apps that work correctly and have more and better features. You disagreed lol.

Oh okay you don't like the app as a whole.  I do love it and find it works really great except the "work in progress" on the chat.  The chat is still okay but it was actually better before they started to "upgrade" it.

Also everything I see posted here over the years seems to concur in that Yahoo's app is far better compared to ESPN's or CBS's and Fantrax doesn't really have one per se.

Hi, my apologies if this is answered elsewhere or I'm in the wrong thread - I saw the waiver wire thread stickied -but I have a Yahoo question:

The Bauer trade was the day before all the other deadline deals, but Yahoo shows waivers clear 8/3 on all of them.  Will they go through at the same time?

Example: say I want Greene and Franmil in that order and am #1 on waiver wire.  I thought I'd have to not put a claim for Franmil because I'd have to wait an extra day for greene to become available.  If I put a claim for greene #1 and then Franmil #2, would they execute right after each other? 

I'm aware I wouldnt get both, just an example.  Thanks for any help!

The ESPN UI is saying they finally added OBP/SLG/OPS back. But is it just me or did they really only add it for BvP and not the rest of the season, 30 day, 15 day, 7 day? Could they possibly be that stupid or am I just missing something?

Yahoo weirdly changed Tatis back to day-to-day yesterday and now I can't make roster changes without dropping an extra player. 

Tatis has not been officially placed on the DL, Yahoo prematurely changed his status.

• Thanks 1

Must have been a fax machine problem at the league office

I am thinking about switching my league over to a different site next year. Was thinking about CBS. Is the paid version worth it? How customizable is it? Is the player pool deep?

anybody know what the regular season tie breaker is on yahoo. doesn't say under league settings. all it has is playoff tiebreaker.

I really hope it record vs tied opponent but why do I feel that its whoever had the better record the previous week? anybody help out?

2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

anybody know what the regular season tie breaker is on yahoo. doesn't say under league settings. all it has is playoff tiebreaker.

I really hope it record vs tied opponent but why do I feel that its whoever had the better record the previous week? anybody help out?

Private leagues can choose their tie breakers but I think the default -- not absolutely sure -- is head-to-head with the team you are tied with.  Like you played them 3 times in the regular season in a one point league and you won 2 of those 3 matches.  You are golden.  In a standard H-to-H default league I guess it is the total number of categories you won in those 3 matches vs your opponent.  Again a guess but I seem to remember the tie breakers between teams in H-to-H come down to H-to-H logically enough.

I do remember going through past matches against one team week by week a few years back adding up how I did against an opponent but it could have been during the playoffs too.  So not 100% sure about this.  I just like to add to the confusion.  🙂

On 8/19/2019 at 8:46 PM, CounterPunch said:

I am thinking about switching my league over to a different site next year. Was thinking about CBS. Is the paid version worth it? How customizable is it? Is the player pool deep?

Absolutely worth it. Super customizable and although it’s expensive , if you split it up between teams it’s well worth it. The app sometimes acts up but they do a pretty good job of fixing the bugs as they arise. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Private leagues can choose their tie breakers but I think the default -- not absolutely sure -- is head-to-head with the team you are tied with.  Like you played them 3 times in the regular season in a one point league and you won 2 of those 3 matches.  You are golden.  In a standard H-to-H default league I guess it is the total number of categories you won in those 3 matches vs your opponent.  Again a guess but I seem to remember the tie breakers between teams in H-to-H come down to H-to-H logically enough.

I do remember going through past matches against one team week by week a few years back adding up how I did against an opponent but it could have been during the playoffs too.  So not 100% sure about this.  I just like to add to the confusion.  🙂

yea Im pretty sure you can only set it to higher seed wins ties or best h2h record but that's for playoffs. don't think you get to set h2h regular season tie breakers. and for some reason I think its the stupid who had the best record the last week of the season and not h2h record vs the tied opponent.

Okay Yahoo let us see yet another "split personality" here, haha:

Michael Lorenzen is starting in center field for the Reds on Thursday afternoon against the Phillies.

Lorenzen, on Wednesday night, became the first player to earn a win, hit a home run, and play in the field in the same game since Babe Ruth on June 13, 1921. He is now being rewarded with his first career start as a position player. The 27-year-old setup man will bat seventh versus Phillies left-hander Jason Vargas.

Source: Rotoworld Daily Lineups                             Sep 5, 2019, 9:20 AM ET

Yahoo has really got to address this in the off season.  It is getting totally ridiculous they are so far behind the times which are going to see more multi-positional players including pitchers that also hit and play in the field and positional players itching out of the bullpen more and more and just not as blow-out fill-ins.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay Yahoo let us see yet another "split personality" here, haha:

Yahoo has really got to address this in the off season.  It is getting totally ridiculous they are so far behind the times which are going to see more multi-positional players including pitchers that also hit and play in the field and positional players itching out of the bullpen more and more and just not as blow-out fill-ins.

It's not just Yahoo having issues with this. Lorenzen played OF last night and ESPN still hasn't credited his pitching stats from last night.

I was on the fence about whether I should post this here or in the Bench Coach forum...

I've been really frustrated by the changes (mostly for the worse) made to ESPN's fantasy baseball site over the last year. When they rolled out their updates for 2019 they left off many of the key features like the games started pace limit tracker (for leagues with start limits), and the team performance trackers (cumulative for weekly and individually for players owned). The final straw for me was when I went to add a player who was promoted on Friday (James Karinchak) and he's not even available in their player pool!

All that said, I'm looking to transition my long time league (10+ years) to a new website next season. I'm somewhat familiar with Yahoo and CBS, but are their any others I should be considering? Also, which site do you like they best? Thanks in advance for the input an recommendations. 

Thinking about switching too. ESPN's interface has been awful after the update. No trading block, no pace limit tracker, no active stats, why ESPN!? Curious as to who has made the switch as well.

35 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I was on the fence about whether I should post this here or in the Bench Coach forum...

I've been really frustrated by the changes (mostly for the worse) made to ESPN's fantasy baseball site over the last year. When they rolled out their updates for 2019 they left off many of the key features like the games started pace limit tracker (for leagues with start limits), and the team performance trackers (cumulative for weekly and individually for players owned). The final straw for me was when I went to add a player who was promoted on Friday (James Karinchak) and he's not even available in their player pool!

All that said, I'm looking to transition my long time league (10+ years) to a new website next season. I'm somewhat familiar with Yahoo and CBS, but are their any others I should be considering? Also, which site do you like they best? Thanks in advance for the input an recommendations. 

there are only a handful of sites to consider:

yahoo, cbs, espn, fantrax, and onroto is pretty much the full list as far as a i know. fleaflicker and sleeper are a couple of others, but i think they're football only (not positive, though).

personally, i think fantrax has the best combo going (appearance/function), but like socks, beer, and cars, everyone has their own opinion about the best brand. i like fantrax for two reasons: (1) an extremely deep player pool and (2) they are steadily attempting to improve their site. i like to see that someone is attempting to get better. i'm not claiming it's the best for everyone, lots of folks don't like the visual appearance of the fantrax site and/or fantrax's attempt/lack of a phone app, but i don't have any issues with either.

also, a thread dedicated to platform discussion:

I am a long time ESPN fan, this new interface sucks. Peak hours it is slow to load, which makes it difficult. 

24 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

no pace limit tracker

Bottom of team page in my rotisserie league .. view game maximums. Tell me how many game started my pitchers have made. 

51 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

The final straw for me was when I went to add a player who was promoted on Friday (James Karinchak) and he's not even available in their player pool!

Wasn’t that always a problem? If not on the 40 man roster the player wasn’t in the system. One thing that ESPN has been better at is the player pool is larger. More prospects. 

fleaflicker and sleeper are a couple of others, but i think they're football only (not positive, though).

fleaflicker has baseball 

Edited by shakestreet

39 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Thinking about switching too. ESPN's interface has been awful after the update. No trading block, no pace limit tracker, no active stats, why ESPN!? Curious as to who has made the switch as well.

They did add pace / limits tracker mid-season (after receiving so many complaints). As someone else pointed out it's on the bottom left of your team page. 

Yahoo seems like a lateral move to me and I can't get used to CBS. They have a tone of features and are probably the best (of the three) for customization, but it's almost like information overload. Like, I don't want to see your projections for players for the next week, I just want to see their stats!

It feels like ESPN made a conscious decision to invest the majority of their time and resources into fantasy football, and let the "b team" run the other sports. If a hack analyst like Eric Karabell is in charge of baseball and responsible for making decisions in terms of site layout, content, etc. then it would explain the shift to me. It's unfortunate because I've been using ESPN for 20+ years. I'd even be willing to go pack to paying for a team if they would focus on improving their site. 

29 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

there are only a handful of sites to consider:

yahoo, cbs, espn, fantrax, and onroto is pretty much the full list as far as a i know. fleaflicker and sleeper are a couple of others, but i think they're football only (not positive, though).

personally, i think fantrax has the best combo going (appearance/function), but like socks, beer, and cars, everyone has their own opinion about the best brand. i like fantrax for two reasons: (1) an extremely deep player pool and (2) they are steadily attempting to improve their site. i like to see that someone is attempting to get better. i'm not claiming it's the best for everyone, lots of folks don't like the visual appearance of the fantrax site and/or fantrax's attempt/lack of a phone app, but i don't have any issues with either.

also, a thread dedicated to platform discussion:

Thanks for the recommendations and the link to the prior thread! Unfortunately I think the lack of a phone app might be a deal breaker in this era.