Dugout Legend

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

11 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

It looks like Yahoo added some more keeper functionality in the commish settings. Keeper cost and such. That's all I see so far. Still a stupid 30 player roster limit. 

That was already there.

28 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

That was already there.

OK, some of the options were new to me, but this is our first renewal of this league, so I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

So Yahoo basically just re-released last years platform without any changes/improvements.

Hey that changed the look of the baseball cap avatars into something really silly looking.  Of course I haven't used any of their avatars for my teams in years and years and most people don't.

Im afraid I was expecting too much from yahoo to think they would address Ohtani...

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 2:50 PM, shakestreet said:

I remember back in the 90’s you had to use the US Mail .. your lineup had to be postmarked on Friday to qualify for the following week. Sunday-Saturday. The address was Baseball Fan-tastic. It cost 6.00 per week add a dollar for every FA .. cost some money. If you won you received a plaque. I had them on my wall mounted. 

I love these nostalgia posts lol. I got into fantasy baseball and football when I was 13, and we did the exact same thing. My dad and I used NFSL, and we sent our lineups off every week. My favorite day of the week was whenever the mail brought us results from the previous week and current standings :)

51 minutes ago, larfboy said:

Im afraid I was expecting too much from yahoo to think they would address Ohtani...

Gotta love the comment that "if we combined him one of those fantasy managers would lose their keeper."

Nevermind all of the leagues holding him together with duct tape in anticipation of Yahoo! addressing it. The optimists in my league (myself included) that figured we could do it while Yahoo! figured it out in time for 2019 look like idiots.

Edited by Hanghow

Honestly I don't understand all of the disappointment regarding Yahoo's treatment of Ohtani in the sense that there was NEVER any indication that they would change how they handled him for fantasy. Yes, it isn't as valuable for fantasy owners, and it seems silly to split him into two separate players, but that was how he was implemented last year, and they never made any comments implying that they were working to change it. Ohtani is working as intended, and it would potentially be even more controversial if they changed the functionality now that he has already been added into their database as two players. If you dislike that aspect more than you like the platform as a whole, then it is within your freedom to switch to a different platform and determine Ohtani keeper rulings yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

Gotta love the comment that "if we combined him one of those fantasy managers would lose their keeper."

Nevermind all of the leagues holding him together with duct tape in anticipation of Yahoo! addressing it. The optimists in my league (myself included) that figured we could do it while Yahoo! figured it out in time for 2019 look like idiots.

In all my dynasty leagues there ia an Ohtani Rule so when he was one player again it addressed who would own him.  It was always the Ohtani Pitcher owner because he always went first as the pitcher in all those leagues.  And that was pre-known BEFORE anyone took him as the hitter.  (Ironic the Hitter owner is in the best shape this season, hah).

So that line about those poor keeper leagues would be all so disappointed that the Yahoo PR guy threw out is totally bogus.

Meanwhile nearly 10 years on and they haven't complied with the OFFICIAL PROMISE they made to FIX the damn NA problem years back where those slots disappear each spring pre-draft so you either have to drop prospects or MLB platers rto meet thr roster limit for the league each and every year in dynasties.  OR have elaborate workarounds with spreadsheets, other web sites, long convoluted list and always manual drafts.

They said at the time the NA slots were there so we all could play dynasty baseball.  That was the whole point. They missed the whole point as in you should be able to KEEP your prospects.  I mean just expand the max roster from 30 to 40 players would be a quick and dirty trick that would work short term instead of having 10 NA slots that are basically useless since they always disappear over the winter.  Also prospects also aren't re-tagged as prospects until they are officially "sent down" or are not on the 40 man roster instead of simply using the "rookie rule" for NA designation.

Well, the first of many NA SLOTS SUCK ON YAHOO rants is now done.  There will probably be more to come. That is what I live for in this thread, hah.

I really don’t have a problem with the way Yahoo is handling Ohtani. Ideally he’d be one player, but it doesn’t bother me that he’s not. 

1 hour ago, jbj said:

Honestly I don't understand all of the disappointment regarding Yahoo's treatment of Ohtani in the sense that there was NEVER any indication that they would change how they handled him for fantasy. Yes, it isn't as valuable for fantasy owners, and it seems silly to split him into two separate players, but that was how he was implemented last year, and they never made any comments implying that they were working to change it. Ohtani is working as intended, and it would potentially be even more controversial if they changed the functionality now that he has already been added into their database as two players. If you dislike that aspect more than you like the platform as a whole, then it is within your freedom to switch to a different platform and determine Ohtani keeper rulings yourself.

The disappointment is that their excuse was time last year. Yet every other platform made him 1 player. Now they had enough time to address this and they make another excuse about keepers which like 5% of their leagues are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

In all my dynasty leagues there ia an Ohtani Rule so when he was one player again it addressed who would own him.  It was always the Ohtani Pitcher owner because he always went first as the pitcher in all those leagues.  And that was pre-known BEFORE anyone took him as the hitter.  (Ironic the Hitter owner is in the best shape this season, hah).

So that line about those poor keeper leagues would be all so disappointed that the Yahoo PR guy threw out is totally bogus.

Meanwhile nearly 10 years on and they haven't complied with the OFFICIAL PROMISE they made to FIX the damn NA problem years back where those slots disappear each spring pre-draft so you either have to drop prospects or MLB platers rto meet thr roster limit for the league each and every year in dynasties.  OR have elaborate workarounds with spreadsheets, other web sites, long convoluted list and always manual drafts.

They said at the time the NA slots were there so we all could play dynasty baseball.  That was the whole point. They missed the whole point as in you should be able to KEEP your prospects.  I mean just expand the max roster from 30 to 40 players would be a quick and dirty trick that would work short term instead of having 10 NA slots that are basically useless since they always disappear over the winter.  Also prospects also aren't re-tagged as prospects until they are officially "sent down" or are not on the 40 man roster instead of simply using the "rookie rule" for NA designation.

Well, the first of many NA SLOTS SUCK ON YAHOO rants is now done.  There will probably be more to come. That is what I live for in this thread, hah.

The roster size issue is a pretty big one, and it also comes into play for me with a football league I commish on Yahoo where we have IDPs and deep benches. We're currently right up against that 30 player roster size limitation and would love to keep expanding (adding bench mostly) but we are restricted by the host site. 

People love to rail against Yahoo but I still like the product more than any of the competitors (especially when you consider it's FREE), but I really don't understand why they haven't added more flexibility that would make dynasty/keepers much better. 

Edited by mjb03003
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

The disappointment is that their excuse was time last year. Yet every other platform made him 1 player. Now they had enough time to address this and they make another excuse about keepers which like 5% of their leagues are.

I don't mean for this to become some sort of off-topic semantics debate, but again, there was never a statement made nor any real evidence to assume that they wanted to change the way that Ohtani was handled going forward. Yes, they said initially that there were time restraints that were factored into making him two separate players, but it was purely speculation that they would go back on their initial decision retroactively if they had another season to do so. If they had this entire period of time to mess with the coding to figure out how to make him just one player similar to other platforms before he entered the database at all, it may have gone differently. But he is already there now, and is on fantasy teams.

It was 100% speculation that they might try to merge the two players into one, and that thinking had no real backing at all. Fantasy owners in leagues with keepers should treat him accordingly: assume that nothing is going to change, and the two Ohtanis have separate keeper values as they do in this moment. That being said, it would be wise to speak with the league to determine what would happen if the platform decided to change the ruling, and to potentially have a backup plan for your own team if you lost a version of Ohtani on your keeper roster.

I would think that now that Yahoo is live for 2019 and it has been made obvious that nothing will change for this season, it makes it even less likely that anything will be different in the future. The only thing that may account for a change in Ohtani's valuation on the platform would be a more widespread paradigm shift in baseball in which there were more cases of two-way players being relevant in the league. If there were another few teams utilizing a similar type of player, it may force Yahoo's hand to reassess their decision and potentially break Ohtani in some keeper leagues.

3 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

The roster size issue is a pretty big one, and it also comes into play for me with a football league I commish on Yahoo where we have IDPs and deep benches. We're currently right up against that 30 player roster size limitation and would love to keep expanding (adding bench mostly) but we are restricted by the host site. 

People love to rail against Yahoo but I still like the product more than any of the competitors (especially when you consider it's FREE), but I really don't understand why they haven't added more flexibility that would make dynasty/keepers much better. 

I concur.  They hired a whole different team of new coders in after Oath took it over saying they wanted programmers who actually played fantasy sports to make up the dept and upgrade it yet still no real solutions for the dynasty game especially.

I don't own Ohtani so I don't care but Yahoo splitting him  makes his value or lack thereof different than both real life or any other platform.  And with someone like a Brendan McKay possibly being the next big 2-way player then Yahoo had better get their act together and solve the Ohtani Split because more players will be coming along like him  in the future.  Not just future stars too but utility guys trying to pitch out of the bullpen as well.  It is the direction baseball is going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jbj said:

I don't mean for this to become some sort of off-topic semantics debate, but again, there was never a statement made nor any real evidence to assume that they wanted to change the way that Ohtani was handled going forward. Yes, they said initially that there were time restraints that were factored into making him two separate players, but it was purely speculation that they would go back on their initial decision retroactively if they had another season to do so. If they had this entire period of time to mess with the coding to figure out how to make him just one player similar to other platforms before he entered the database at all, it may have gone differently. But he is already there now, and is on fantasy teams.

It was 100% speculation that they might try to merge the two players into one, and that thinking had no real backing at all. Fantasy owners in leagues with keepers should treat him accordingly: assume that nothing is going to change, and the two Ohtanis have separate keeper values as they do in this moment. That being said, it would be wise to speak with the league to determine what would happen if the platform decided to change the ruling, and to potentially have a backup plan for your own team if you lost a version of Ohtani on your keeper roster.

I would think that now that Yahoo is live for 2019 and it has been made obvious that nothing will change for this season, it makes it even less likely that anything will be different in the future. The only thing that may account for a change in Ohtani's valuation on the platform would be a more widespread paradigm shift in baseball in which there were more cases of two-way players being relevant in the league. If there were another few teams utilizing a similar type of player, it may force Yahoo's hand to reassess their decision and potentially break Ohtani in some keeper leagues.

Why would I let a platform dictate the way my league is run? We adjust outside the platform and complain about it here:P. This is not the only thing that Yahoo has messed up with regards to keepers. BBT has expressed his displeasure with one of those(the NA slots). They have no way of keeping track of contract years and the whole keepers before draft does nothing if you are auctioning offline. I know we can switch platforms to address a lot this but we have done that in the past and it was not good especially in the way of an app and the clunkiness of the change.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about doing some Yahoo pro leagues ($100-$500) this year, but I've never tried one. Does anyone have any feedback on how those leagues compare to Fantrax leagues of similar buy-ins? What does Yahoo do regarding taxes? Fantrax sends me a W2 every year, which makes it an even steeper rake (not that I wouldn't report my winnings ;)). Any issues with cheating or collusion at those levels?  Also, how do they run waivers in those leagues? First-come first serve or some other system?

Edited by meh2

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

I'm thinking about doing some Yahoo pro leagues ($100-$500) this year, but I've never tried one. Does anyone have any feedback on how those leagues compare to Fantrax leagues of similar buy-ins? What does Yahoo do regarding taxes? Fantrax sends me a W2 every year, which makes it an even steeper rake (not that I wouldn't report my winnings ;)). Any issues with cheating or collusion at those levels?  Also, how do they run waivers in those leagues? First-come first serve or some other system?

Ive had no problems in past doing the 100. Didn't do one last year.  The larger ones seems suspect to me,  as so few signed up it was super easy to join a league with a friend.  I see they now offer a ton of buy in ranges,  maybe the diversity has gone up

• Like 1

Any ESPN commish's know where you can set the draft order? You can change between random/manual in the draft settings, but it doesn't actually show you where you change it and I can't find a place to do so....

23 minutes ago, Hollywood42 said:

Any ESPN commish's know where you can set the draft order? You can change between random/manual in the draft settings, but it doesn't actually show you where you change it and I can't find a place to do so....

go to lm tools click on edit draft order then click edit and the drag and drop teams to the desired spot. then you hit save changes

It’s one thing for yahoo to split Ohtani into pitcher and hitter and treat them as two different players...but when the pitcher is out and the hitter is in....at least give the pitcher the IR tag so we can pick up players

24 minutes ago, larfboy said:

It’s one thing for yahoo to split Ohtani into pitcher and hitter and treat them as two different players...but when the pitcher is out and the hitter is in....at least give the pitcher the IR tag so we can pick up players

Why would you think you're entitled to this? All owners of NL pitchers should therefore get the same privilege when those pitchers are on off days by this logic.

You draft a pitcher to pitch and a hitter to hit, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

go to lm tools click on edit draft order then click edit and the drag and drop teams to the desired spot. then you hit save changes

Ah there it is, must be blind cuz I was not seeing that before. Thanks!

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Why would you think you're entitled to this? All owners of NL pitchers should therefore get the same privilege when those pitchers are on off days by this logic.

Didn't even think about this til now, but rostering SP Ohtahni is going to be virtually impossible in Yahoo keeper leagues. Yahoo really expects people to burn an active roster spot the entire season because they can't figure out how to make Ohtani a single player?

I'd say maybe they'd be sensible and at least give SP Ohtani a courtesy NA tag, but then again these are the same guys who still use code from 1993 for the league message boards.

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

What we are reading Ohtani will not be pitching in 2019. So if you own Ohtani the pitcher Then yahooooo needs to let fantasy owners to use the DL designation. Your logic is crazy..

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

What we are reading Ohtani will not be pitching in 2019. So if you own Ohtani the pitcher Then yahooooo needs to let fantasy owners to use the DL designation. Your logic is crazy..

Not really. The value of owning him is truly as a pitcher, so you use the DL spot, compensate yourself with a player and that's that.

How you think his pitching relates to his hitting is the convoluted part of this.

You're staking a special claim that exists for no other owner of any other pitcher on IR. 

• Confused 1