garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

Currently projected to be the favorite for the vacant 2B gig in Colorado, Hampson is a guy that offers a fantasy-friendly skill set with high-end contact skills, a touch of power, and terrific speed with the instincts to use it effectively. Is he an intriguing sleeper heading into next year?

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-garrett-hampson-the-future-fantasy-rock-star/

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, garlando said:

Currently projected to be the favorite for the vacant 2B gig in Colorado, Hampson is a guy that offers a fantasy-friendly skill set with high-end contact skills, a touch of power, and terrific speed with the instincts to use it effectively. Is he an intriguing sleeper heading into next year?

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-garrett-hampson-the-future-fantasy-rock-star/

Who would you compare his skill set to, past or present ?

11 minutes ago, Topgun said:

His combination of contact skills + power + speed could make Hampson a consistent fantasy monster in the mold of a Lorenzo Cain type at 2B/SS or like a Jean Segura that walks more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Sites could have him as a SS.  He Played more games there last season

He started 5 games each at SS and 2B in 2018 so this coming season he already will have both these position eligibilities from the get go on Yahoo.

For other formats that require 10 or more "appearances," he appeared in 8 games at SS and 7 games at 2B.  So it may be up to those platforms to decide manually as opposed to some automatic math formula.

Source for the above is who else but Baseball Reference:  https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hampsga01.shtml

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

37 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I could see him gaining steam all offseason similar to albies last year

Was just thinking the same thing too. There is a little uncertainty regarding his PT right now but once that's gone his ADP will for sure climb a lot. His speed and contact skills ... at Coors at 2b/SS makes it awfully hard not to be interested in him. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Was just thinking the same thing too. There is a little uncertainty regarding his PT right now 

If that's true, there'a a buying opportunity perhaps.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:04 AM, brockpapersizer said:

I could see him gaining steam all offseason similar to albies last year

Agreed - I think any Colorado player in a starting position will warrant a lot of attention, I think once the offseason dust settles a bit and you see the actual projected lineups, maybe even in to Spring a bit and see the news coming out of there, but if this guy is the Rockies 2B, which will already draw some attention, but then couple that with his skills of high avg and high SB's, both of which are somewhat in demand these days, he will be a very popular choice.   Probably ends up being a little overvalued by 2019 draft season in March.  

• Like 1

Big believer in Hampson’s skills, he’s got a career.850 ops in the minors, his obp around.380-.390, and he’s an excellent base stealer.

Youd think he would be that exact type of table setting player the Rockies need.

I’m not a big believer in Hampsons playing time though. When Lemahieu was out, he didn’t get everyday at bats, and only received 21 plate appearances for the entire month of September.

What worries me about Hampson in 2019, is he and Ryan McMahon will be splitting duties just long enough for Brendan Rodgers to take over at mid season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve gar said:

Big believer in Hampson’s skills, he’s got a career.850 ops in the minors, his obp around.380-.390, and he’s an excellent base stealer.

Youd think he would be that exact type of table setting player the Rockies need.

I’m not a big believer in Hampsons playing time though. When Lemahieu was out, he didn’t get everyday at bats, and only received 21 plate appearances for the entire month of September.

What worries me about Hampson in 2019, is he and Ryan McMahon will be splitting duties just long enough for Brendan Rodgers to take over at mid season.

The Rockies are insanely stupid but the saving grace is that they have no more money to light on fire so they're going to have to find internal options to fill their holes. They could even rotate Desmond in LF which would give McMahon more PT at 1B and as a result, more time for Hampson at 2B. 

But the possibility also exists that Hampson is the best defensive CF on the roster and he gets PT that way. 

7 hours ago, Steve gar said:

Brendan Rodgers has to first prove he is major league ready which he hasn't yet.  Hampson is the better player right now and perhaps long term as well.

• Like 1

razzball Hampson sleeper..

https://razzball.com/garrett-hampson-2019-fantasy-outlook/

I could say SAGNOF and then talk about how Guy Frieri is Satan for a few hundred words, but Hampson is so much more. Before we get into ‘how much more’ he is, I want to quickly touch on why I’m not overly excited about him.  Yes, I received consent first, thanks for asking.  I have two words for you: Raimel Tapia.  Two more: Ryan McMahon.  How about the two words:  David Dahl?  Anyone ever put together the two words:  Tom Murphy, with the other two words:  playing time?  Garrett Hampson saw 40 ABs last year in 24 games.  He had six-tenths of an at-bat a game?  Wow, the Rockies HAVE committed to him!  If I were to run into 2013 Grey Albright in some kind of weird time vortex, while dining out with that new babe Dr. Who, and 2013 Grey were to ask me, “Is Nolan Arenado going to get playing time as a rookie?”  I’d say no, even while knowing that he does get playing time, because I have so little faith in the Rockies.  Maybe the Rockies will shock me with Hampson; I hope so.  (By the way, I have even less faith in Peter Alonso getting at-bats, but that’s for another day.)  Why do we even care about Garrett Hampson if he were to get playing time?  He could steal 50 bags with 10 homers while hitting .290.  I just gulped real hard.  As Romans 8:31 says, “If a 10-homer, 50-steal guy is with us, who can be against us?”  It goes on to say, “Make sure to get the thin crust.”  Wait, that’s Noble Roman’s pizza at $8.31 with tax.  In Coors, you can never be so sure about who will get to double digit homers and a solid average.  When you throw in a guy who is as fast as Hampson, he’s on my radar, and should be on yours too, even if I’m realistically expecting under 300 ABs.  The always-conservative Steamer gives Hampson 60/8/57/.291/25 in 486 ABs.  There is literally nothing conservative about any of those stats.  Also, for those who haven’t checked out our Prospect-o-Nator that gives stats for every conceivable rookie, and it loves Hampson, putting him above Vladimir Guerrero Jr.  As they say in the Land of Onomatopoeia, that takes the R out of boring!  I will be drafting Hampson in every league where he’s available, but I strongly suspect he’s going to be filling out box scores in the minors with Tapia, Murphy, McMahon, Rodgers and every other promising Rockies player, while they bat Matt Holliday third.  For 2019, I’ll give Garrett Hampson the projections of 48/4/44/.254/14 in 274 ABs with a chance for much, much more.  Actually, three much’s more.  That’s mucho much’s.

there is so much potential there with the speed. I love that potential, but wonder if people will be overpaying based on that potential. if he plays and doesn't steal as much as people hope/expect then he could be a big disappointment based on where he could be drafted.

I fully expect the Rox to sign Jed Lowrie to start over Hampson

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The Rockies should trade for Trevor Bauer or Corey Kluber.

In fact,  they should spend any money they have on pitching.

4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I think Lowrie is too good. Maybe Josh Harrison or something. 

37 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I think Lowrie is too good. Maybe Josh Harrison or something. 

Haha beautiful. AssCab is out there too.

They will re-sign Tulo for nostalgia to play 2B

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2018 at 12:04 PM, Topgun said:

Whit Merrifield.  In an equal setting, Merrifield is a slightly better hitter for contact/average but since hampson plays in coors, it is the equalizer.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 5:11 AM, Wytchclt55 said:

Whit Merrifield.  In an equal setting, Merrifield is a slightly better hitter for contact/average but since hampson plays in coors, it is the equalizer.

Whit might have slightly more pop, but thats a pretty good comp. 

Hampson (depending on where he hits in order) 

.280+ avg with 6-12HR 30+ SB and R/RBI will depend on batting order spot - hopefully is at or near top.  

• Thanks 1

Just hope the Rockies don't sign another 2nd baseman and actually give him a chance this year. From last year rookies seem to have a hard time getting into starting gigs in COL it seemed?

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 11:30 AM, parrothead said:

Whit might have slightly more pop, but thats a pretty good comp. 

Hampson (depending on where he hits in order) 

.280+ avg with 6-12HR 30+ SB and R/RBI will depend on batting order spot - hopefully is at or near top.  

is 30 SB a safe projection rather than pushing for more? I would think if he plays every day then 30 would be a minimum. he had 51 in 2017, and 36 over 2 stops in the minors last season.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:01 AM, SpecialFNK said:

is 30 SB a safe projection rather than pushing for more? I would think if he plays every day then 30 would be a minimum. he had 51 in 2017, and 36 over 2 stops in the minors last season.

Only eight MLB players had more than 30 SBs last season so I think it's a safe projection.  There are also some playing time concerns with McMahon, and the likelihood that he'll start the season at the bottom of the lineup.

Absolute fantasy stud if he gets the playing time. I think by years end he’s going to be the starting CF with Rodgers at 2B and Charlie at a corner OF spot. 

I am a bit concerned with how much of a green light he will get though considering they play in Coors and will be in front of the pitcher and then a stacked top of the lineup. 

1 minute ago, tywalson said:

Absolute fantasy stud if he gets the playing time. I think by years end he’s going to be the starting CF with Rodgers at 2B and Charlie at a corner OF spot. 

I am a bit concerned with how much of a green light he will get though considering they play in Coors and will be in front of the pitcher and then a stacked top of the lineup. 

He is suppose to be a better fielder than Rodgers so maybe he is the one that stays at 2B.  Also if he starts out at the back of the line-up, who cares. His talent will move him up.  I don't think they bat him in front of the pitcher to start either.  Maybe afterwards with the pitcher hitting 8th.  He is a table setter with his speed.  You want him up with hitters coming up behind him, not a pitcher.

• Like 1