garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but the fact he’s leading off and McMahon is batting 7th in between two scrubs says they want to see more of Hampson.  I’d give him the slight edge provided he’s healthy.  

Also, the ball flies out of some of these Arizona parks.  Not that it won’t do the same in Colorado, but proceed with an extra grain of salt when getting overly excited about either of these two.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good day for Hampson, 2/4 and stole 3rd without a throw. Of note, he played most of the game, in case anyone was concerned about him coming out in the 5th yesterday.

Edited by PremiumPlus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am not wishing any injury but a part of me kinda wants Ian Desmond to start the season on the DL. Because if that is the case, Hampson will get a chance and probably win the job outright. All Hampson needs is one injury away from being a dynamic impact player this year. 

Edited by Miketrout009
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PremiumPlus said:

Good day for Hampson, 2/4 and stole 3rd without a throw. Of note, he played most of the game, in case anyone was concerned about him coming out in the 5th yesterday.

SB big in my mind considering he was dealing with a leg injury over the past week. Even with the missed week he's tied with the league lead in SB.

Remember the McMahon walkoff that had some people saying it clinched it for him?  Well right back at ya:

Garrett Hampson slugged a walk-off, three-run homer on Friday, powering the Rockies to a 6-5 victory over the Padres in Cactus League play.

The Rockies entered the ninth inning trailing 5-1 in this one, and Hampson had been 0-for-3 at the dish. After a pair of runs scored on a single by Roberto Ramos, Max George singled, bringing the winning run to the dish in the form of Hampson. He then crushed a Luis Perdomo offering into the seats in left field, sending the Rockies' faithful home happy. For the spring, he's now hitting .275 (11-for-40) with four homers, nine RBI and seven stolen bases. Still battling Ryan McMahon for the club's starting second base job, this blast could turn out to be a difference-maker.

Mar 23, 2019, 12:36 AM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

This is what I have gathered so far...... Black might be a fellow fantasy baseball manager too but does not have neither of the Hampson or McMahon; so he does not care about making it clear to his opponents...... as a matter of fact, he might just throw them and us a big wrench and give the job to Vailaika..... 😈

2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

Thanks for the quick and cool recap.  I hate wasting time watching video clips too.

Posted (edited)

On Yahoo at least, Hampson qualifies at 2b and SS while McMahon qualifies at 1b, 2b, 3b.  That adds some extra value to the strategy of drafting them both.  If the Rockies somehow find a way to get them both regular paying time (and I'll believe that when I see it), that could pay off immensely. 

edit:  I suppose that's true moreso in leagues that allow daily lineup changes.

Edited by OaksterDan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

On Yahoo at least, Hampson qualifies at 2b and SS while McMahon qualifies at 1b, 2b, 3b.  That adds some extra value to the strategy of drafting them both.  If the Rockies somehow find a way to get them both regular paying time (and I'll believe that when I see it), that could pay off immensely. 

edit:  I suppose that's true moreso in leagues that allow daily lineup changes.

in the event he makes the team, Hampson is expected to play CF at times , so could have OF eligibility in Yahoo (only 5 starts reqired) before long as well.

• Like 1

Bud Black on Ryan McMahon: "I think this was the first year for Mac [where he came in with a great deal of intent]. Not he didn't come in with intent the last couple of years, but [with him] it's just different. Now he understands who's on our roster where he potentially fits and I think this year he came in extremely motivated to make a point, and he has."

Bud Black on Garrett Hampson: "Coming up last year, making his debut, being a part of our team for the greater part of the second half. He came in trying to impress us to the point where he wants to prove he should make this team."

On both: "So both these guys have really made a point to come in ready to prove they belong on this roster."

****inserts Mark Reynolds in at second base on Opening Day***

But seriously, kind of frustrating to hear Bud say Garrett's trying to make the team versus fighting for full-time at-bats. If I were to put my money on it, I'd say he's leaning towards McMahon at second base and using Hampson as super-utility ie platoon where both guys are playing 4-5 times a week. Though, like others have mentioned, I think both will be playing full-time by July due to injuries. I'm worried about Murphy's knees, Story's elbow, and Dahl's everything (don't get me wrong, I hope all 3 stay healthy and it's Desmond that is moved to the bench)

• Like 1

The Rockies will never cease to annoy me. Mark Reynolds will be on the OD roster - has to effect Hampson in some way, that's another bat in the rotation. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Rockies are such a clown show. Like they HAVE to block their young guys. Got shares of Hampson and McMahon all over the place and you just know Rockies will cockblock.

Edited by Finisher
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Rockies are such a clown show. Like they HAVE to block their young guys. Got shares of Hampson and McMahon all over the place and you just know Rockies will cockblock.

They don't block guys, they just don't run guys out there over and over if they suck, like McMahon last year.  Guys like Arenado, Blackmon, Dickerson, Story came up, played well, and earned playing time. 

Dahl doesn't play because he always hurt. 

You got to earn your playing time. People just get overhyped on any Rockies hitting prospect and think they are better than they are and deserve to be handed at bats. Just my $0.02.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

They don't block guys, they just don't run guys out there over and over if they suck, like McMahon last year.  Guys like Arenado, Blackmon, Dickerson, Story came up, played well, and earned playing time. 

You got to earn your playing time.

Correct .. too many people like to play the blame game because they own a certain player. 

2 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

You got to earn your playing time. People just get overhyped on any Rockies hitting prospect and think they are better than they are and deserve to be handed at bats. Just my $0.02.

Finally, someone with sense. The repeated hammering of the Rockies franchise is absurd. They’ve gone from a laughing stock to a team with an insanely bright future. Sorry they don’t play your fantasy players every day, they are playing to win. 

Also, Rockies’ prospect bats are always a bit overhyped. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I agree as far as in the past.   McMahon and Hampson have had strong springs and have earned playing time to start this season.

They will gobble up all of the AB's at 2B and I can see Hampson begin taking some away AB's from Desmond in the CF if he & McMahon continue hitting.

Mark Reynolds is probably just a bat off the bench late in games and maybe the occasional day at 1B when Murphy takes off.

• Like 1

This guy is all the rage in a roto league draft that coming up.  A couple of people in this league know they need to take him in the 12th round, or earlier, to have a shot at him.  I love the skills, but the Rockies are just a hard franchise to figure out when it comes to players like this.  I'd love to own Hampson (or McMahon) but I think the hype train around these guys are going to price them out for me. 

Honest question - if you're someone upset about people wanting Garrett Hampson to have playing time and complaining about the prospect of him not receiving said playing time, why are you in the Garrett Hampson thread? Unless of course you're a Pat Valaika or Mark Reynolds owner, then I understand the frustration. 

1 hour ago, dchamps said:

Honest question - if you're someone upset about people wanting Garrett Hampson to have playing time and complaining about the prospect of him not receiving said playing time, why are you in the Garrett Hampson thread? Unless of course you're a Pat Valaika or Mark Reynolds owner, then I understand the frustration. 

To get quality information and reasonable conjectures. Not to hear people complain about Black/Rockies management system or people saying he HAS to win the job since McMahon already flopped after a great spring last year. -Hampson owner with no McMahon share

• Like 1