garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

4 hours ago, dchamps said:

Honest question - if you're someone upset about people wanting Garrett Hampson to have playing time and complaining about the prospect of him not receiving said playing time, why are you in the Garrett Hampson thread? Unless of course you're a Pat Valaika or Mark Reynolds owner, then I understand the frustration. 

A what? 👀

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Bud Black on Ryan McMahon: "I think this was the first year for Mac [where he came in with a great deal of intent]. Not he didn't come in with intent the last couple of years, but [with him] it's just different. Now he understands who's on our roster where he potentially fits and I think this year he came in extremely motivated to make a point, and he has."

Bud Black on Garrett Hampson: "Coming up last year, making his debut, being a part of our team for the greater part of the second half. He came in trying to impress us to the point where he wants to prove he should make this team."

On both: "So both these guys have really made a point to come in ready to prove they belong on this roster."

****inserts Mark Reynolds in at second base on Opening Day***

But seriously, kind of frustrating to hear Bud say Garrett's trying to make the team versus fighting for full-time at-bats. If I were to put my money on it, I'd say he's leaning towards McMahon at second base and using Hampson as super-utility ie platoon where both guys are playing 4-5 times a week. Though, like others have mentioned, I think both will be playing full-time by July due to injuries. I'm worried about Murphy's knees, Story's elbow, and Dahl's everything (don't get me wrong, I hope all 3 stay healthy and it's Desmond that is moved to the bench)

That is Belichickian gold. Bravo Bud Black.

Valaika to AAA, Murphy waived, & Reynolds to the 40 man. Rockies opening day roster is mostly set & this means both Hampson & McMahon will be on it. With McMahon the pretty obvious opening day 2B, it will be interesting to see how Hampson is handled as well as how he handles his non-daily role. Hoping he gets 4-5 starts a week between OF, 2B, and a sprinkle of SS. Further hoping he gets enough starts to diversify his eligibility before ultimately being an everyday starter. Trust the process, Buddy Black loves this kid as much as we do and his talent is about to shine through. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Bud Black on Ryan McMahon: "I think this was the first year for Mac [where he came in with a great deal of intent]. Not he didn't come in with intent the last couple of years, but [with him] it's just different. Now he understands who's on our roster where he potentially fits and I think this year he came in extremely motivated to make a point, and he has."

Bud Black on Garrett Hampson: "Coming up last year, making his debut, being a part of our team for the greater part of the second half. He came in trying to impress us to the point where he wants to prove he should make this team."

On both: "So both these guys have really made a point to come in ready to prove they belong on this roster."

****inserts Mark Reynolds in at second base on Opening Day***

But seriously, kind of frustrating to hear Bud say Garrett's trying to make the team versus fighting for full-time at-bats. If I were to put my money on it, I'd say he's leaning towards McMahon at second base and using Hampson as super-utility ie platoon where both guys are playing 4-5 times a week. Though, like others have mentioned, I think both will be playing full-time by July due to injuries. I'm worried about Murphy's knees, Story's elbow, and Dahl's everything (don't get me wrong, I hope all 3 stay healthy and it's Desmond that is moved to the bench)

McMahon tore the cover off the ball in spring training last year and then was one of the worst hitters in baseball during the regular season.  (A .232/.307/.376 is criminal for someone who plays half their games at Coors.)  To me, Hampson is a way better fantasy bet than McMahon due to his speed potential.  I think Hampson's defensive edge over McMahon also guarantees him at least 50% of the playing time at worst while at best he could get 80% of the playing time.

Posted (edited)

Last year has very little to do with it when you're talking about a young play who didn't get full time reps. And there's a lot more to read into than just the numbers you provided. Like his minor league stats, his hard hit rate, his stats this ST are far and away better than last years. He's a growing player. Still very young. Sometimes it takes half a season to figure it out. Look at Bregman's first month last year

Edited by RBI Sports
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tsh00k said:

Valaika to AAA, Murphy waived, & Reynolds to the 40 man. Rockies opening day roster is mostly set & this means both Hampson & McMahon will be on it. With McMahon the pretty obvious opening day 2B, it will be interesting to see how Hampson is handled as well as how he handles his non-daily role. Hoping he gets 4-5 starts a week between OF, 2B, and a sprinkle of SS. Further hoping he gets enough starts to diversify his eligibility before ultimately being an everyday starter. Trust the process, Buddy Black loves this kid as much as we do and his talent is about to shine through. 

Just for clarity's sake... Tom Murphy, the backup catcher, was waved.  Not Daniel Murphy, whose presence has a far greater effect on Hampson's (and McMahon's) playing time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is it for sure that Hampson will take a backseat to McMahon for playing time?

Just now, lavaman said:

Hampson will be Rockies Zobrist.  Murphy and Dahl will both get regular rest, Hampson will start at 2B vs LHP.  He’ll probably play a game for Desmond a week also.  He’ll be all over the field and play 4-5 times a week plus pinch hits.  His at bat total will be normal.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

McMahon tore the cover off the ball in spring training last year and then was one of the worst hitters in baseball during the regular season.  (A .232/.307/.376 is criminal for someone who plays half their games at Coors.)  To me, Hampson is a way better fantasy bet than McMahon due to his speed potential.  I think Hampson's defensive edge over McMahon also guarantees him at least 50% of the playing time at worst while at best he could get 80% of the playing time.

An article last week from The Athletic indicates McMahon wasn't comfortable last spring. See the McMahon thread for an excerpt.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

Where did you read this?

Most if the local reporters are suggesting this

guy just got mvp of spring training (insert joke) while competing for a starting job. What more can he do?

• Like 1

Realistically, the Rockies should just go with Hampson in CF and McMahon at 2B vs. a RHP. Ian Desmond was the 4th worst qualified hitter vs. RHP last year so most likely Hampson can do better than that. 

I mean, most likely Hampson is better than Desmond at everything involving baseball so it really comes down to how long the Rockies will be able to stomach playing a worse player and sacrificing wins. I'm sure someone in their front office must have pointed out how they lost the division last year by one game. One game is basically benching Desmond for anyone who was breathing. It's basically ilke picking up Daniel Murphy off waivers for free down the stretch and benching Desmond, which they strangely declined to do and then signed Murphy in the off-season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No.

You love to disagree with people and post no backup and it’s really annoying. 

Mcmahon was the ST mvp, has played a great 2nd, and has been slotted in the 7 hole regularly with the opening day lineup. Hamp has played everywhere, and while still having an awesome ST, has not hit as well as McMahon. We’ll see how long it lasts, but McMahon is the opening day 2nd baseman. Please post any sort of backup to your disagreement to provide value to this forum rather than just volume posting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did the Rockies officially announce McMahon as opening 2b? I may have missed it, but definitively declaring McMahon starting 2b is putting the cart before the horse a little bit, no?

FTR, I don’t care either way how this shakes out. Just trying to put all the pieces together.

21 minutes ago, wtb88 said:

Did the Rockies officially announce McMahon as opening 2b? I may have missed it, but definitively declaring McMahon starting 2b is putting the cart before the horse a little bit, no?

FTR, I don’t care either way how this shakes out. Just trying to put all the pieces together.

No, it hasn’t been announced, but I also see no one “definitely declaring” it. They’re saying it’s been “suggested,” or the writing is on the wall. 

• Like 2

I was just confused by the poster above me, wasn’t sure if I missed something. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Most if the local reporters are suggesting this

guy just got mvp of spring training (insert joke) while competing for a starting job. What more can he do?

I'd put more stock into McMahon's spring if he hadn't had a huge spring last year and then totally bombed out during the regular season.  I'm not sure who will win the job or whether it will be a 50-50 split, but I do think Hampson has much more fantasy upside than McMahon because of his speed.

For what it's worth, Gene McCaffrey (a fantasy guru who lives in Colorado) said on a podcast this week he thinks Hampson will get the majority of the starts at 2nd base because he's much better defensively and the Rockies have a ground ball pitching staff

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'd put more stock into McMahon's spring if he hadn't had a huge spring last year and then totally bombed out during the regular season.  I'm not sure who will win the job or whether it will be a 50-50 split, but I do think Hampson has much more fantasy upside than McMahon because of his speed.

For what it's worth, Gene McCaffrey (a fantasy guru who lives in Colorado) said on a podcast this week he thinks Hampson will get the majority of the starts at 2nd base because he's much better defensively and the Rockies have a ground ball pitching staff

You’re missing my point. Regardless of last year, there was an open competition for a job. One guy hit better than the other during said competition. That’s it. 

12 minutes ago, Magoo said:

You’re missing my point. Regardless of last year, there was an open competition for a job. One guy hit better than the other during said competition. That’s it. 

McMahon may have hit slightly better this spring training (though Hampson also had an outstanding offense spring training with 4 HRs and 7 SBs), but there's also defense, which may not matter in fantasy, but matters in real life and Hampson is vastly superior defensively at 2B.  I don't really see how you can conclude at this point that McMahon is definitely the starter at 2B, based on spring training performance.

If I had to guess, I think it will be close to a 50-50 split to start with and both guys will need to produce to earn their playing time.  In fantasy leagues, I'd rather take a flier on Hampson than McMahon because of Hampson's SB upside    

18 hours ago, dod959 said:

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while looking at absolute black holes like Ian Desmond run out there every day. Let alone Pat Valaika getting 133 PAs with a .460 OPS! Noel Cuevas got 150 PAs with a .583 OPS. People understand how bad these numbers are right? 

What did Gerardo Parra do to earn 3 years of playing time? He had a -1.1 WAR in his tenure there in over 1000 ABs. One thousand!

But I thought Pat Valaika was the shortstop of the future and Trevor Story was a AA talent?

16 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

McMahon may have hit slightly better this spring training (though Hampson also had an outstanding offense spring training with 4 HRs and 7 SBs), but there's also defense, which may not matter in fantasy, but matters in real life and Hampson is vastly superior defensively at 2B.  I don't really see how you can conclude at this point that McMahon is definitely the starter at 2B, based on spring training performance.

If I had to guess, I think it will be close to a 50-50 split to start with and both guys will need to produce to earn their playing time.  In fantasy leagues, I'd rather take a flier on Hampson than McMahon because of Hampson's SB upside    

Respectfully, you’re underating McMahon’s defense and that they’ve been putting Hampson all over.  I guess we’ll guess differently.

19 hours ago, dod959 said:

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while looking at absolute black holes like Ian Desmond run out there every day. Let alone Pat Valaika getting 133 PAs with a .460 OPS! Noel Cuevas got 150 PAs with a .583 OPS. People understand how bad these numbers are right? 

What did Gerardo Parra do to earn 3 years of playing time? He had a -1.1 WAR in his tenure there in over 1000 ABs. One thousand!

Well they signed Parra as a free agent, he had 1 good year, they signed him and he was a bad signing -- Rockies aren't the only team forced to play a guy after a bad signing.

Vakalia got 133 PA (almost nothing) because when he was 24 in 2017 he had an 817 OPS in 195 PA, he was a young player you claim they don't give chances to, that earned a chance... and the only reason he got 133 in 2018 is because McMahon sucked and hit .180 with a .020 ISO before they sent him back to the minors in May. Vakalia played a utility role moved around, everyone has those guys, he wasn't key piece at all.

Cuevas absolutely shredded the minors and his 331 with 927 OPS before they called him up... he's literally one of young players that played great and got a chance that you claim they don't do. 

Who are these great prospects they are blocking? Tom Murphy who sucked given his chance? McMahon who sucked in his chance? ... name me a few Rockies position players that were blocked as you claimed and went elsewhere to succeed.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Who are these great prospects they are blocking? Tom Murphy who sucked given his chance? McMahon who sucked in his chance? ... name me a few Rockies position players that were blocked as you claimed and went elsewhere to succeed.

I’d say every single prospect that’s close to ready. Murphy wasn’t a horrible signing, but between him, Cargo, and Desmond they’ve definitely not giving their young guys as much time as they could have over the last couple years. 

Edited by mavsfan23

2 hours ago, tsh00k said:

You love to disagree with people and post no backup and it’s really annoying.

Thank you.  😉

Also the question asked was:

So NO it is not for sure.  Did you want to say yes it is for sure?  Was there an "official" announcement I missed?