garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

IF Murphy doesn't play first and Dahl stays in left what happens to Ian Desmond? Getting desperate as my Dynasty team only has two 2nd baseman going into this year and both are in jeopardy with Cano on the Mets (McNeil) and now this with Hampson.

Edited by Low and Away

Desmond should be on the bench vs. RHP which would leave CF for Hampson and 2B for McMahon. 

Then vs. LHP he can come in for Dahl or he can play CF and Hampson can shift to 2B with McMahon on the bench. 

The Rockies only have 2 MLB caliber OFs on the roster. 

• Like 1

Many of their young players suck. Still not too sure about which prospects the Rockies have held down and excelled elsewhere. Their system is full of hitter friendly parks with the carrot at the end being coors field. Would anyone remotely case about Ryan McMahon if he wasn't a rockies prospect? I'm not writing off McMahon either, I think it's a little crazy to think he's better than Daniel Murphy though.  Hampson will play.  Ian Desmond contract was awful.

• Like 2

One of the other things with him in terms of settings when it comes to roster formation, draft etc is that in a lot of formats he might be only SS eligible right now because that is where he played the most last year.  Didnt play 10 or 20 games at 2B or SS, I think it was 8 at SS and 7 at 2B.  

So projection according to RR is Dahl in RF, Desmond in LF, Murphy at 1B and Hampson at 2B.  

One of the other aspects of the Murphy signing is they slot him in the 2 spot, Hampson now projected in the 7 hole which is not all that appealing.  

• Like 2

As a dynasty owner, I’m fine with this. Obviously I’d like him to put up 600 AB and blow up this year , but I’d would also like to avoid Scott Kingery 2.0 . The less pressure the better and if Hampson earns it, he’ll get his. 

3 hours ago, parrothead said:

One of the other things with him in terms of settings when it comes to roster formation, draft etc is that in a lot of formats he might be only SS eligible right now because that is where he played the most last year.  Didnt play 10 or 20 games at 2B or SS, I think it was 8 at SS and 7 at 2B.  

He also started 5 games each at both positions therefore he is golden on Yahoo having both positions from the get go. 

If he doesn't have SS on some format well he is a projected 2B and that is what people should view him as long term.  But if he is given SS in other formats instead of 2B to start out with, he will quickly earn 2B so having SS at the get go gives you a full year of that position as well and is an extra SS icing on the cake of 2B so that would be a good thing.

Outside of having the ability to walk and steal bases, what's the appeal with this guy? He has no power at all, probably going hit at the bottom of the order, and is not even guaranteed playing time. I guess in ultra deep 5x5 roto leagues that feature MI where the value of a SB is propped up he's a decent ~25-30th rd pick for an end of the bench stash, but Im really not seeing much upside. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up getting under 300 mlb PA's

Edited by cs3

25 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Outside of having the ability to walk and steal bases, what's the appeal with this guy? He has no power at all, probably going hit at the bottom of the order, and is not even guaranteed playing time. I guess in ultra deep 5x5 roto leagues that feature MI where the value of a SB is propped up he's a decent ~25-30th rd pick for an end of the bench stash, but Im really not seeing much upside. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up getting under 300 mlb PA's

He hit 10 bombs last year across 3 levels in only about 480 ABs so he's not Juan Pierre. His home park is Coors. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cs3 said:

A lot of upside in a guy who can post a .350/.360+ OBP, steal 30-40 bases an crack 40/45 extra base hits. 

No he may not hit 20 homers but 12-15 is attainable. Couple that with 30 doubles a few triples a strong OBP and his steals and he's a solid fantasy asset. It's not unfathomable he takes over the leadoff spot. Colorado could go Hampson/Blackmon/Arenado/Murphy and go r/l/r/l. Or switch Murphy and Blackmon.

Point is there is some legit upside here. A lot of that will hinge on if he gets the job and where he slots into the lineup. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Point is there is some legit upside here. A lot of that will hinge on if he gets the job and where he slots into the lineup. 

I am on board and ready to ride the Hampson hype-train into the 2019 season.  My fear is that this train stalls early out the gate due to a seemingly cramped infield.  Does anyone have any news on this front?

23 hours ago, cs3 said:

Maybe. His profile is the exact profile that has been playing up at the MLB level since the juiced ball/lift generation of hitters. Lots of contact, impossible to say he can't pull an Altuve and swat 20 hrs which is what everyone does these days.

You hear a few scouts on him, some will say elite body and are high on him due to his athleticism. Wouldn't sleep on him. Appeal being average and sbs are tough to find in a 5x5 setting and power is incredibility easy to find today, so you have a player that goes against the grain which is valuable.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 12:49 PM, En Votto Veritas said:

I am on board and ready to ride the Hampson hype-train into the 2019 season.  My fear is that this train stalls early out the gate due to a seemingly cramped infield.  Does anyone have any news on this front?

Obviously spring is going to tell the tale, but currently Roster Resource has him as the projected starting 2B hitting 7th.  Murphy at 1B, Desmond in LF and Dahl in RF.  

It surely seems that the Rockies are loaded at 2B with Hampson, McMahon and possibly Brendan Rodgers too.

I agree that spring training will have a lot to say on this one. It wouldn't surprise me if all 3 of them end up getting some playing time at 2B in 2019.

• Haha 1

Could they make Hampson the super utility (2B/SS/OF) player type until they sort the players out?  

On 1/1/2019 at 1:02 PM, AF25 said:

Could they make Hampson the super utility (2B/SS/OF) player type until they sort the players out?  

I'd say the super utility roll is his most likely use. McMahon is the slight favorite for regular 2B playing time.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mad_Jack said:

I'd say the super utility roll is his most likely use. McMahon is the slight favorite for regular 2B playing time.

Why?  Several sights already have Hampson penciled in as the everyday 2B.  I mean what you say may be true too but I haven't read anything yet that indicates McMahon is ahead of him.  And he certainly was a much higher rated prospect than McMahon in the minors.  And a better fielder as well.

Of course the Rockies being the Rockies they do do crazy things a lot of the time too.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

9 hours ago, Mad_Jack said:

Based on what, exactly? From everything I've seen, Hampson is the one that's ahead right now. Hampson has shown more success at the MLB level than McMahon ever has (225 career PA for McMahon, .225/.310/.360 line, 48 for Hampson, .275/.396/.400). So, yeah, small sample, but Hampson didn't really miss a beat once up. 

Colorado could really use a guy that runs in their lineup as well. I'd think it's Hampson's job to lose, at this point. Going to boil down to spring training IMO. 

• Like 1

Hampson is an exciting player with elite speed and with Coors being home, he could be hitting some double digit HR. I agree that Hampson should be ahead of McMahon; but since they are loaded with 2B and Rockies being Rockies, they may go that route. After all, he did play all three positions I've mentioned both in the minors and majors (albeit only three innings in MLB and didn't had a chance to field). 

2 hours ago, AF25 said:

Hampson is an exciting player with elite speed and with Coors being home, he could be hitting some double digit HR. I agree that Hampson should be ahead of McMahon; but since they are loaded with 2B and Rockies being Rockies, they may go that route. After all, he did play all three positions I've mentioned both in the minors and majors (albeit only three innings in MLB and didn't had a chance to field). 

Ad he can still play all three positions while being the everyday 2B.  When Story or Arendo need a day off, slide him over to their spots and let McMahon play those days.  Just because a person can play several positions doesn't mean he waits around on the bench waiting for an opening some day to play at one of those spots.  He can play everyday at his main position and still slide over to other positions on days when he is needed there instead.

I still don't see a Coors field CF on that roster. It's not Blackmon anymore that's for sure. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dod959 said:

I still don't see a Coors field CF on that roster. It's not Blackmon anymore that's for sure. 

You better tell the Rockies that. He played 150 games in CF last year.

MI prospects usually transition well into being a CF. This how Rodgers and Hampson will likely co-exist whenever Rodgers cracks the majors.

Edited by Slatykamora

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And he certainly was a much higher rated prospect than McMahon in the minors.

Prior to graduating off the prospect lists McMahon was a higher rated prospect than Hampson has ever been.