garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

Let's not forget Ryan McMahon will be back this week as well. He was clearly the 2B, before Daniel Murphy was hurt. It's going to be very interesting in May when everyone is back & fully healthy.

5 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

Let's not forget Ryan McMahon will be back this week as well. He was clearly the 2B, before Daniel Murphy was hurt. It's going to be very interesting in May when everyone is back & fully healthy.

Is he? I can’t find anything as to when McMahon will be back.

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Is he? I can’t find anything as to when McMahon will be back.

I play in a CBS league. They're reporting he'll be back this Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

I play in a CBS league. They're reporting he'll be back this Tuesday.

I’m not sure their wording, but Tuesday will be 10 days, so he’ll be eligible to return. But beat writers have no idea, so I’m sure CBS doesn’t either.

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not sure their wording, but Tuesday will be 10 days, so he’ll be eligible to return. But beat writers have no idea, so I’m sure CBS doesn’t either.

Very possible, regardless if it's Tuesday or the weekend, his return is imminent. 

I’m still wondering why it’s guaranteed that McMahon’s return is “imminent.”

Just now, BMcP said:

I’m still wondering why it’s guaranteed that McMahon’s return is “imminent.”

Because the injury was minor and he's already tossing the ball and feeling good. 

4 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Because the injury was minor and he's already tossing the ball and feeling good. 

He’s catching balls with the glove on his right hand, last I checked.  I mean, I need to see more before I would describe his return as “imminent.”

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He’s catching balls with the glove on his right hand, last I checked.  I mean, I need to see more before I would describe his return as “imminent.”

All reports were the injury was minor. So far he is progressing. He's eligible to come off IR Tuesday, I guess we are not 100% positive that is actually going to happen, but all signs point to it being pretty soon, if not Tuesday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

All reports were the injury was minor. So far he is progressing. He's eligible to come off IR Tuesday, I guess we are not 100% positive that is actually going to happen, but all signs point to it being pretty soon, if not Tuesday.

For all his spring training prowess every year, McMahon has shown almost nothing at the major league level.  Has any Rockie ever produced than .222 AVG and 5 HR in their first 250 plate appearances?  I mean, Coors Field even made people like Wilin Rosario and Mark Reynolds into star fantasy players

Want to drop so bad but just can't pull the trigger in an NL only league. He is still to enticing to be on the wire. My gut is telling me he is going to start accumulating some hits and start stealing some bags. 

12 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Want to drop so bad but just can't pull the trigger in an NL only league. He is still to enticing to be on the wire. My gut is telling me he is going to start accumulating some hits and start stealing some bags. 

I'm in a mixed 12 team league and I can't pull the trigger quite yet.  Batting second behind Arenado and has a 5 game hitting streak... I have a hunch his value is going to only go up from here. 

2 minutes ago, espnfanco said:

I'm in a mixed 12 team league and I can't pull the trigger quite yet.  Batting second behind Arenado and has a 5 game hitting streak... I have a hunch his value is going to only go up from here. 

Hampson is one of those intriguing players where if he were to have back to back multi hit games with a couple steals the hype train will be back in full effect. It is just a matter if he can do that preferably before McMahon comes back, but definitely needs to before Murphy or he is toast.  

Been waking up a bit, but clock is running out before he goes to a utility role and/or back to the minors to get some PT work to get his mojo back.  Really needs a couple of big games.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

For all his spring training prowess every year, McMahon has shown almost nothing at the major league level.  Has any Rockie ever produced than .222 AVG and 5 HR in their first 250 plate appearances?  I mean, Coors Field even made people like Wilin Rosario and Mark Reynolds into star fantasy players

Well, Hampson has a significantly worse OPS career to date than McMahon for what it is worth.  SSS on both of them.

Quiet 5 game hit streak with a double and a triple. Hit some balls hard. His launch angle is a bit messed up though, getting under a few balls. Plate discipline looks alright though. He has a couple games in the OF now so that's a plus. There's no way Ian Desmond plays the whole year in the OF. He's basically Chris Davis at this point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AHF said:

Well, Hampson has a significantly worse OPS career to date than McMahon for what it is worth.  SSS on both of them.

In fairness to Hampson, he has only 87 career ABs.  But yeah, after a decent showing last year in his brief call-up, Hampson has been bad this year so far, no way around that.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

In fairness to Hampson, he has only 87 career ABs.  But yeah, after a decent showing last year in his brief call-up, Hampson has been bad this year so far, no way around that.

I don't think either has enough ABs to make a judgment on them.  Too young and too small a sample size.

11 hours ago, AHF said:

To be fair, I don’t know anything is “significantly worse” than the other when they have both had a career worth exactly negative 0.1 WAR. They’ve both proven slightly worse than useless.  First one to do something worthwhile should win playing time 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, merlin401 said:

To be fair, I don’t know anything is “significantly worse” than the other when they have both had a career worth exactly negative 0.1 WAR. They’ve both proven slightly worse than useless.  First one to do something worthwhile should win playing time 

.661 to .599 is significant.  That is over 10%. Both have sucked and the sample size is too small to draw much from it so I doubt the team has drawn conclusions based on their numbers to date but if that gap sustained it represents a significant gap.

Edited by AHF

On 3/24/2019 at 8:10 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

I wound up drafting both Hampson and McMahon. 

Always bet on black. And red. 

images.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

images.jpeg.jpg

The digit symbolizing what Hampson/McMahon owners have gotten out of their investments thus far.

Edited by Jyeatbvg
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I just scooped him as a free agent, after he was cut loose by another manager.  While I recognize he hasn't done much so far, he has strung together a few hits this past week.  The upside is still worth a flier in my opinion.  If he went 3 for 5 today and stole a base, folks would be scrambling.  Sometimes it just takes one good game to spark something in a young player.

But I guess roster size plays a big part in whether you have that luxury of benching him.

Edited by Turkey Burgers