garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

He appeard in 24 games last year - I'm not sure of the technicalities, but is Super Two or service time in general an issue here?

If not, I'd be surprised if not given the first shot. I'm very high on him, especially in a year speed is extremely scarce.

While I think he will get a shot, I doubt he will be the lead off hitter, at least at the beginning of the year. Blackmon (even with diminished speed), Dahl / Tapia, or even potentially Daniel Murphy all could get a shot there. With this many veteran options, they'd most likely let Hampson get comfortable first and if he produces consider a move up.

On the other hand, Hampson does all that small ball s--- that a dinosaur like Bud Black loves. Bunts, 1st to 3rd, slides and gets dirt on his jersey, hits ground balls up the middle, etc. I could see him moving up quicker than we think. 

36 minutes ago, dod959 said:

On the other hand, Hampson does all that small ball s--- that a dinosaur like Bud Black loves. Bunts, 1st to 3rd, slides and gets dirt on his jersey, hits ground balls up the middle, etc. I could see him moving up quicker than we think. 

Why are you against all that "small ball stuff", and why does that make Black a dinosaur? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dod959 said:

your post makes it sound like those are undesirable traits ... strong fundamentals are now frowned upon ... wow!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, jb_power said:

your post makes it sound like those are undesirable traits ... strong fundamentals are now frowned upon ... wow!

dingers or gtfo, especially in Coors. 

No but seriously.. they're not undesirable traits but sometimes their importance is overstated. Just put the guy with the highest OBP at the top. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dod959 said:

No but seriously.. they're not undesirable traits but sometimes their importance is overstated. Just put the guy with the highest OBP at the top. 

It takes a variety of skills to win a baseball game on any given day, including the "small ball s---" you mentioned. It's no less important than Earl Weaver's 3-run HR philosophy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dod959 said:

Yeah especially when it's a guy like Harper. If the pitcher ever manages to get on you want to be sure someone can knock him in, amirite???

How is his defense at 2nd?

14 hours ago, dod959 said:

Hampson isn't a potential high OBP guy? He has the profile for it. This is not Dee Gordon/Billy Hamilton here.

He doesn't have to have specifically the highest OBP to make the most sense. Just simply high. Then his speed adds value to the already high OBP.

Edited by Slatykamora

53 minutes ago, B&F said:

In the minors he made 10 errors in 607 chances .984 % fielding at second

4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Hampson isn't a potential high OBP guy? He has the profile for it. This is not Dee Gordon/Billy Hamilton here.

He doesn't have to have specifically the highest OBP to make the most sense. Just simply high. Then his speed adds value to the already high OBP.

He's a high OBP guy and he can bunt. That's why I said he could move up quicker than people think. He could be Bud Black's favorite player lol. I'm the train conductor for the Hampson train. 

• Like 1

Brendan Rodgers got a spring training invite. I think he’s a bigger threat than McMahon. 

Rockies gave Story the job right out of spring in 2016. Could happen with Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Brendan Rodgers got a spring training invite. I think he’s a bigger threat than McMahon. 

Rockies gave Story the job right out of spring in 2016. Could happen with Rodgers.

Rodgers has to prove himself at AAA first. He was awful in his stint there, granted in only 69 ABs... He didn't really light up AA either though, I think he's more of a mid season hopeful at the moment. Hampson on the other hand has proven to be a .300 hitter at all levels with great speed. I do agree Rodgers is the threat long term. He has more talent than Hampson but by the time he comes up, if Hampson is hitting well, Hampson is going to shift to the OF I believe. As for McMahon I am not too worried, he's a IF platoon guy or insurance if Murphy gets hurt.

Edited by Ry34No
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Rodgers has to prove himself at AAA first. He was awful in his stint there, granted in only 69 ABs... He didn't really light up AA either though, I think he's more of a mid season hopeful at the moment. Hampson on the other hand has proven to be a .300 hitter at all levels with great speed. I do agree Rodgers is the threat long term. He has more talent than Hampson but by the time he comes up, if Hampson is hitting well, Hampson is going to shift to the OF I believe. As for McMahon I am not too worried, he's a IF platoon guy or insurance if Murphy gets hurt.

Yea I know that’s the narrative and hard to disagree based on Rodgers AAA numbers. We are talking about the former consensus number 1 player in the 2015 draft (over Bregman) and he’s had plenty of minor league time. 

A hot spring could give him a window to at least muck up a full time job for Hampson out of the gate.

7 hours ago, B&F said:

Much better than Brendan Rodger's.  And speaking of which ...

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

Like Ry34No said, Rodgers has yet to prove he belongs at AAA.  Rodgers is still listed in the top 20 on most prospect lists but is no longer a top 10 prospect on any of them so is moving a bit in the wrong direction right now. 

I'm not saying he will bust.  But I am saying no way can I see Rodgers coming up out of spring training with the big team given how terrible he was in his brief stint in AAA last year and how not too great he was in AA. 

Meanwhile Hampson should be the starting 2B to begin the season barring the crazy, veteran-loving Rockies trading to get Pedroia or something equally weird.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Why are you against all that "small ball stuff", and why does that make Black a dinosaur? 

because LOL at bunting or moving runners over having any real importance at Coors.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, cs3 said:

because LOL at bunting or moving runners over having any real importance at Coors.

Not sure if serious but that approach definitely wouldn't hurt to get the serious power hitters up with multiple baserunners on. Isn't that how Coors produces 22-18 games more than any other stadium? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

It has importance in virtually every baseball game and at every ballpark. Imho. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1

In every baseball game? No it doesn't. Completely disagree there.

Ok, how much importance? How many more runs per season does playing a guy who is good at bunting and moving over runners, rather than a guy who is a better hitter, going to produce for the Rockies? Sure, in any specific game maybe a bunt would be effective, but over the course of the season at Coors I would wager that never bunting and never "moving runners over" is far far better than bunting too often, which is what the original poster was getting at.

Edited by cs3

3 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Ok, how much importance? How many more runs per season does playing a guy who is good at bunting and moving over runners, rather than a guy who is a better hitter, going to produce for the Rockies? Sure, in any specific game maybe a bunt would be effective, but over the course of the season at Coors I would wager that never bunting and never "moving runners over" is far far better than bunting too often, which is what the original poster was getting at.

I didn't read him as saying it was better than bunting too often. Maybe I read it incorrectly, but I understood it to say that small ball was unnecessary in Coors and Black is a dinosaur because of it. Frankly, the idea that small ball makes him a dinosaur and living by the HR does not, doesn't make sense to me because Earl Weaver coached in the 60s, 70s, 80s and is well-known for living for the 3-run HR.

And I didn't say every baseball game, I said virtually. Maybe I should have said "most". The idea is to get runners on and get them around the basepaths to bring them home. It's not like every run at Coors is scored via HR and every hitter is a slugger. There still is the element of the game that gets runners around the bases via walks, bunts, singles, hitting behind runners, stealing bases, etc. And 81 of their games each season is away from Coors. 

I'm not saying that the batter should bunt every time a runner gets on first with no outs or one out. But in any given game, there could be a situation that calls for a sac bunt to be dropped down with no outs to get a runner in scoring position for the next guy. Low scoring game, close game late, so forth. So, imho, going into any game, there needs to be the ability to lay a bunt down, hit behind runners, work a count and take a walk, have a runner who can go 1st-to-3rd, etc. Because while a game may turn into a 12-3 game,  you don't know that going in. Just my perspective. 

The rox have blackmon and Dahl in the outfield, neither of which is a great option at CF. My expectation is he moves to CF. They've already given him half a season at CF. Zobrist is a super fair comp in terms of his role. The rox already mentioned that they'd be shifting the of around on a regular basis. Whose to say hampson doesn't become the starting CF come summertime who spells McMahon or whoever at 2b batting 7th. They have a great lineup. A few pretty good starters and an okay pen. Rox are in a great spot, and so is hampson. But if you think the Rox are going to help you get quality from day one off the Rox at the end of your draft. Just stop right there. It's not happening. 

53 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

The rox have blackmon and Dahl in the outfield, neither of which is a great option at CF. My expectation is he moves to CF. They've already given him half a season at CF. Zobrist is a super fair comp in terms of his role. The rox already mentioned that they'd be shifting the of around on a regular basis. Whose to say hampson doesn't become the starting CF come summertime who spells McMahon or whoever at 2b batting 7th. They have a great lineup. A few pretty good starters and an okay pen. Rox are in a great spot, and so is hampson. But if you think the Rox are going to help you get quality from day one off the Rox at the end of your draft. Just stop right there. It's not happening. 

Agreed. Which is why i'm not remotly worried if Rodgers does go off this year. The Rockies CF of the future is one of these MI prospects and Hampson would have best range of them.  Blackmon will be 33 in 5 months. Tapia has not really been impressive at all yet.

1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

They also have Desmond who also isn't a CF.  And aren't they (or have they) giving CarGo a one year deal?  He also can't play CF, lol.  So good point Hampson might play some in CF.

I trust Hampson's skillset, I dont trust the Rockies to utilize it well.

Between his bat and Coors, Id be all in on him if it wasn't for the manager and organization.

Still a strong target for me in dynasty leagues, but redraft, not sure I could pull the trigger in the top 150 or so.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cs3 said:

Managers think in terms of those specific situations. 

No different than thinking Ks are worth the power. Over the course of a season, sure. In any one specific at bat? Maybe. Definitely not with the game on the line, and a runner in scoring position with 2 outs.

Same with basketball. Shooting 3s at 40% is batter than 2s at 50%. Down by one with the last possession? That 2 is the right play.

We like to see and measure the game over the long run while it's being played in specific moments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, treat88 said:

I trust Hampson's skillset, I dont trust the Rockies to utilize it well.

Between his bat and Coors, Id be all in on him if it wasn't for the manager and organization.

Still a strong target for me in dynasty leagues, but redraft, not sure I could pull the trigger in the top 150 or so.

Yeah what is up with Colorado mismanagement for years of their personnel?  Why does this keep happening with this organization?  It is like they enjoy shooting themselves in the foot each year.  Maybe the air is too thin to get enough blood to their brains.

• Like 3