garlando

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

On 2/9/2019 at 9:29 PM, Flyman75 said:

Why are you against all that "small ball stuff", and why does that make Black a dinosaur? 

Oh ya and Bud Black said this today: 

Yet manager Bud Black, a consistent defender of Desmond’s, says that other, more “old-school” numbers provide a more positive view. Specifically, Black points to Desmond’s 22 home runs and 88 RBIs last season.

“It depends on how you look at it; what statistical markers you look at,” Black said. “You can spin anything you want. You can look at the modern-day analytics and look at it that way, or you can go old school and look at 22 homers and 88 ribbies.

“There might be some people who look at that year and say, ‘Wow, what a year!’ You can probably identify 10 to 15 players in the league who are around what Ian did, and you would probably say that guy is a pretty good player.”

But like I said, this probably helps Hampson if he can get a nice bunt down in spring training. 

Edited by dod959
  • Haha 2

The cream always rises to the top.  Even if he begins the year in a platoon with McMahon I am going to assume by June he is playing every day and should give value with his ADP.

Bud Black is an idiot.  Well the Colorado front office as well.  They have this VERY weird thing for players in rocking chairs.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Bud Black is an idiot.

And a nut-case.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Bud Black is an idiot.  Well the Colorado front office as well.  They have this VERY weird thing for players in rocking chairs.

Man sure sounds like you're fantasy frustration has gotten a little out of hand here.  The Rockies front office has turned this franchise from a laughing stock for their entire existence to a perennial playoff contender with an incredibly bright future.

Is Bud Black old school?  Yes.  Has he struggled to develop some of the the Rockies top offensive prospects?  Yes.  Has he developed one of the best young pitching staffs in the MLB?  Yes.  What about Story, Dahl, & Arenado?  Are those guys just irrelevant because Black didn't start McMahon or Tapia immediately?  

Why would Black give the job to Hampson this early?  Of course it will be a competition, the kid only has 40 freaking MLB ABs.  This team isn't in rebuild mode, they are in win now mode and will do whatever it takes to make the playoffs and compete.  As someone said previously, cream rises to the top.  Hampson is a better all around baseball player than McMahon and should get a line share if not the starting duties at 2nd.  You're adding little to nothing to this thread just beating down their leadership with 0 insight or explanation.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Man sure sounds like you're fantasy frustration has gotten a little out of hand here.  The Rockies front office has turned this franchise from a laughing stock for their entire existence to a perennial playoff contender with an incredibly bright future.

Is Bud Black old school?  Yes.  Has he struggled to develop some of the the Rockies top offensive prospects?  Yes.  Has he developed one of the best young pitching staffs in the MLB?  Yes.  What about Story, Dahl, & Arenado?  Are those guys just irrelevant because Black didn't start McMahon or Tapia immediately?  

Why would Black give the job to Hampson this early?  Of course it will be a competition, the kid only has 40 freaking MLB ABs.  This team isn't in rebuild mode, they are in win now mode and will do whatever it takes to make the playoffs and compete.  As someone said previously, cream rises to the top.  Hampson is a better all around baseball player than McMahon and should get a line share if not the starting duties at 2nd.  You're adding little to nothing to this thread just beating down their leadership with 0 insight or explanation.  

So you are in favor of trying Mark Reynolds at 2B? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dod959 said:

No, I am in favor of a team playing the best player at every position when they are in a window to compete.  Mark Reynolds isn't better than Hampson so he won't get the job, but it is good this early in the year to give everyone a shot, keep the competition up.  Point being, I don't think Black giving Reynolds a shot impacts Hampson's odds.  

How about this, if Reynolds starts at 2B over Hampson then I will agree the Black is an idiot haha

4 hours ago, tsh00k said:

No, I am in favor of a team playing the best player at every position when they are in a window to compete.  Mark Reynolds isn't better than Hampson so he won't get the job, but it is good this early in the year to give everyone a shot, keep the competition up.  Point being, I don't think Black giving Reynolds a shot impacts Hampson's odds.  

How about this, if Reynolds starts at 2B over Hampson then I will agree the Black is an idiot haha

To even consider it makes him an idiot.  You need younger legs at 2B.  But if Black loves vets at 2B I am sure the Red Sox would love to trade Pedroia with his totally bad knees and his mega-contract to the Rockies for Hampson.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

To even consider it makes him an idiot.  You need younger legs at 2B.  But if Black loves vets at 2B I am sure the Red Sox would love to trade Pedroia with his totally bad knees and his mega-contract to the Rockies for Hampson.

Can you imagine how high the value of Hampson will be if he was indeed traded to the Red Sox with a firm grip at 2B job? That lineup, that ballpark as well as the rest of the AL East (except TBR) Ballpark would make him an interesting pick! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Lol

Rookies are never handed starting jobs.  They have to earn it.  Hampson is going to have to play well in ST to start the season as the every day 2B.  I

My best guess is Hampson and McMahon start the season in a platoon. By mid season Hampson is playing every day.  Should provide good value in drafts.

Updating a previous item, Mark Reynolds will not see time at second base this spring.

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post misconstrued some comments from manager Bud Black and corrected the record on Monday morning. The Rockies' second base competition is likely going to come down to Garrett Hampson or Ryan McMahon. As for Reynolds, he signed a minor league deal with the Rockies in late January and would function as a bench bat if the makes the Opening Day roster

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Updating a previous item, Mark Reynolds will not see time at second base this spring.

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post misconstrued some comments from manager Bud Black and corrected the record on Monday morning. The Rockies' second base competition is likely going to come down to Garrett Hampson or Ryan McMahon. As for Reynolds, he signed a minor league deal with the Rockies in late January and would function as a bench bat if the makes the Opening Day roster

So back to square one... I still think Hampson has a leg up in the competition due to his performance so far in MLB compares to that of McMahon's

On 2/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, dod959 said:

Mark Reynolds is not going to be seeing anytime at second base. I don’t care what Bud Black said, it ain’t happening. 

Edited by shakestreet

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Mark Reynolds is not going to be seeing anytime at second base. I don’t care what Bud Black said, it ain’t happening. 

Well Bud Black says he never said it was happening.  Either a misquote or Black is trying to spin it quickly or he forgot what he did say, hah.

4 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

2-2 /3RBI /2R /1HR   That’s how you start ST Hampson!! 

Keep it up!  In one dynasty you are my only 2B hope, Obi-Wan Hampson!

• Like 1

Hampson started today in LF and hitting leadoff. McMahon also started at 2B. 

Rockies are figuring it out. 

12 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Hampson started today in LF and hitting leadoff. McMahon also started at 2B. 

Rockies are figuring it out. 

Great to see but where is the room in the OF? I'd be more encouraged if it was at CF. 

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Great to see but where is the room in the OF? I'd be more encouraged if it was at CF. 

He got a couple innings in CF yesterday. Any OF playing time is a plus though, I think. 

I might need to up my HR projection (assuming playing time):

• Like 6