brockpapersizer

Willians Astudillo 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, jbj said:

The value comes if he has C eligibility in 2019 with regular at-bats. If he is an every day infielder due to injuries, or if he is used in a slightly more utility role to play 4 times a week(typical for catchers), then he will be a top 10 fantasy catcher that can be drafted at a good value. In 5x5, he has emerged to have a decent amount of pop (for a catcher) with one of the best averages at the position. In points leagues, most players strikeout more than they walk, meaning the combination of the two stats is usually a net negative value for non-Votto/Santana players. Having virtually no walks or strikeouts makes him similar to a player with equal walks to strikeouts in that regard, which is an inherent positive for hitter value.

The upside isn't anywhere there to be a top standout at the position, but given what his draft value will be, he could be a great value.

Yeah no I get that. I held him in a deep spot simply in that off-chance. I just can't envision MIN being that hard up to give him regular PT at 3B/1B/DH...not after their roster additions (but maybe by late Aug or Sept after attrition kicks in)? He can't possibly field enough to play 2B outside of emergencies...

He's not even going to make the team out of spring training.  

Starting 9 are Cron, Schoop, Polanco, Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Cruz, Castro..So the bench has 3 spots..Jake Cave, Mitch Garver...one of Andrianza or Torreyes as the backup infielder...that's 12 position players and 13 pitchers...if they go with 13 position players...the last two spots will be 2 of the 3 of Andrianza, Torreyes or Tyler Austin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Starting 9 are Cron, Schoop, Polanco, Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Kepler, Cruz, Castro..So the bench has 3 spots..Jake Cave, Mitch Garver...one of Andrianza or Torreyes as the backup infielder...that's 12 position players and 13 pitchers...if they go with 13 position players...the last two spots will be 2 of the 3 of Andrianza, Torreyes or Tyler Austin.

The Cruz signing really cut off some potential at-bats FWIW Roster Resource projects Tortuga to make the roster and Cave to be in AAA - with only 4 bench spots, tough to see 2 of them going to backup Catcher types.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

You sure Tortuga couldn't sneak in there over Austin or Torreyes if they go with 4 bench? I don't really see how Austin gets on the roster considering Cron is a R/R 1B and Cruz is a R/R DH. Even Garver got 5 games at 1B last year too.  Astudillo can at least play the infield so I think he's ahead of Austin. 

And Torreyes has been passed around a couple times this off-season right? He's an easy cut. The bench could be Cave, Garver, Adrianza, Astudillo.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Just trade him to the Rockies!

In all seriousness, there is certainly a chance he doesn't make the team, I'd bet he does.   I think he'd make the team over Torereys and Austin, and there's always a chance someone gets hurt. Seems like any one of 12 guys gets hurt, it helps his playing time.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Austin is out of options and they just picked him up in a trade for Lynn a few months ago.  I think that gives him a leg up on a roster spot. 

And another option considering how weak their bullpen looks to be is they go with 13 pitchers.  So that leaves a 3 man bench of Garver, Cave, Andrianza.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Austin is out of options and they just picked him up in a trade for Lynn a few months ago.  I think that gives him a leg up on a roster spot. 

And another option considering how weak their bullpen looks to be is they go with 13 pitchers.  So that leaves a 3 man bench of Garver, Cave, Andrianza.

Nay, Austin was then.  This is now as in they picked up Cron instead for 1B so Austin is no longer needed.  And they always start the season with less and not more pitchers because of all the off days the first couple of weeks.  Barring an injury in spring training I can't see I can't see how Astudillo doesn't start on Opening Day. 

And he is already a fan favorite in Minnesota as well from what I have read so their is also the PR icing to add to the talent cake having him on the roster.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Astudillo still has a chance to see regular at bats, he can play multiple positions, and Miguel Sano isn’t a slam dunk at 3B.

The 2 could start the season rotating, atleast until Sano proves himself, in what could be a make or break year.

Some insights from a Twins fan-

IMO, Astudillo's not even 2nd on the depth chart at C. I'm not sure yet how they'll use Castro and Garver, but those two are definitely ahead of Willians at C right now. Castro's meh but the perfect guy to mention Garver, who really impressed me last year. Aside, you should definitely be giving Garver a look. Nobody knows about him yet but he had a nice season last year if you dig into the numbers. Anyways, both are ahead of Astudillo at this point

He is able to play a bunch of positions, but he's not your typical backup anywhere other than C, so I can't see him beating out Adrianza or Torreyes as the backup infielder. Jake Cave has a very strong hold on the 4th OF job and there's no reason to consider Astudillo stealing that yet. And like the poster above said, then you're out of space on the active roster

I'm also not sold on him yet. Yeah the numbers he's put up are great, but there's very little track record comparatively, so I still see him as someone that you don't know what you'll get from yet. IF he got the at bats, he would be worth a flier, cuz why not? I just don't see the at bats yet

Strongly recommend everyone check out Garver

4 hours ago, Steve gar said:

Astudillo still has a chance to see regular at bats, he can play multiple positions, and Miguel Sano isn’t a slam dunk at 3B.

The 2 could start the season rotating, atleast until Sano proves himself, in what could be a make or break year.

There is no way the rotate Sano, the only hope the Twins have is playing him and seeing what Sano can do. Same with Buxton...they have to play those guys and just see what happens.  Maybe a start a week, but Sano is starting at 3B almost every game unless he gets injured.  Same with Buxton, he's starting in CF everday unless he's injured.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

There is no way the rotate Sano, the only hope the Twins have is playing him and seeing what Sano can do. Same with Buxton...they have to play those guys and just see what happens.  Maybe a start a week, but Sano is starting at 3B almost every game unless he gets injured.  Same with Buxton, he's starting in CF everday unless he's injured.

Sano was sent to High A last year, a big reason was just to get in shape, which doesn’t say much for Sanos focus.

He struck out 115 times in 299 plate appearances and batted .199.

He ran over a police officer a couple of months ago, but wasn’t charged, and I believe he could still receive a punishment from MLB.

Astudillo doesn’t strike out, and with the addition of Cruz’s power potential, the Twins could be more in the market for table setter like Astudillo, instead of hoping another year of Sano underperforming is their only option.

• Like 1

FWIW was working on some lists today happened to the Twins Roster Resource page which not projects him in AAA - last week (maybe pre-Cruz singing) he was projected in reserve role on the 25 man

Dont really care too much if he makes the intial 25 man. Makes his price cheaper in deep leagues and FA in others. Twins want Castro and Garver, they may want Austin/Cave and want 3 legit MI options on the 25 man.  Makes sense.

Players get hurt, players underperform. Trust the talent. Not like the twins are full up on guys with track record that demands they play thru slumps.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's catcher week at BP, and they had a lot of good things to say about Astudillo too. 

Starting to feel like there's something special about this kid if he starts mixing in power.

Edited by elrey
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, elrey said:

Starting to feel like there's something special about this kid if he starts mixing in power.

Looking thinner too.

13 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's catcher week at BP, and they had a lot of good things to say about Astudillo too. 

Swag ... in spades.  Giddy up.

The best part is that the video continues with him absolutely pimping the HR the entire way around the bases.

• Like 2

We keep hearing there will be a strike at some point.  Fants should go on strike if he isn't on a major league roster Opening Day.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

We keep hearing there will be a strike at some point.  Fants should go on strike if he isn't on a major league roster Opening Day.

lol ... ok sure.

It is very simple, even a dummy can figure what needs to happen, if Willians hits in spring training he is guaranteed a spot on the opening day roster. He batted .355 in the majors last year. 

That might've been the greatest pimp job of a HR since Jose Bautista in Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Good read on the situation...recap- he's not a lineup regular without injuries

Nor do i see him making the 25 man if they dont want to lose tyler austin to waviers. Its just matter who has the option years.  AL teams dont usually carry 2 bat first bench options like an NL needs for pinch hitters.

Sano/Cron/Garver/Casto/Austin/Cruz. You need 4 OF and 3MI after that. No room.

Hes up the minute one of these 6 go on the DL and probably getting ABs.