lobsterback

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

Posted (edited)

I tried to get the Szapucki thread unarchived, because I don't want to start a new one.  I had Szapucki pegged as this year's Paddack, as in once hyped minor league pitching prospect who was dropped in almost all leagues because of TJ.  He's back and shoving. This was a guy who was ranked a top 100 prospect by multiple people including BP and Law, with upside being quite high.  If Paddack is the expectation, he will almost surely fail, but I think he has significant upside and the price right now might be free in a lot of leagues.  I think he should be owned for sure in leagues with 200 prospects are owned. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I tried to get the Szapucki thread unarchived, because I don't want to start a new one.  I had Szapucki pegged as this year's Paddack, as in once hyped minor league pitching prospect who was dropped in almost all leagues because of TJ.  He's back and shoving. This was a guy who was ranked a top 100 prospect by multiple people including BP and Law, with upside being quite high.  If Paddack is the expectation, he will almost surely fail, but I think he has significant upside and the price right now might be free in a lot of leagues.  I think he should be owned for sure in leagues with 200 prospects are owned. 

What do you think is his eta timeframe?

4 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

What do you think is his eta timeframe?

If he's a starter, he won't yield fantasy value until 2021 most likely, later 2020 is not out of the question, but shouldn't be expected..  They should push him aggressively level-wise because of his age, especially if he pitches this well. I expect him to be in AA shortly, barring an injury. I think he gets called up next year. Might make some starts or relief appearances down the stretch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he's a starter, he won't yield fantasy value until 2021 most likely, later 2020 is not out of the question, but shouldn't be expected..  They should push him aggressively level-wise because of his age, especially if he pitches this well. I expect him to be in AA shortly, barring an injury. I think he gets called up next year. Might make some starts or relief appearances down the stretch. 

guy looks 35 already

any mention of Luis Campusano, C - SDP?

putting together a great year as a 20 yr old in A+

1 minute ago, Golden Spikes said:

any mention of Luis Campusano, C - SDP?

putting together a great year as a 20 yr old in A+

I'm sure he's been mentioned at some point, slightly surprised he dosen't have his own thread yet based on how well he's done. Anyone that I've listened to (Podcasts) seems to love this guy and I'd have to agree. Seems like an all around solid catching prospect. Just picked him up in my main dynasty league a few weeks ago. He should be available in most leagues still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm in on Campusano too, own multiple shares. Forgot which podcast I heard it on, but in his league he's been the most talked about/impressive players amongst scouts. Catcher prospects are no fun in general, but if you're into that sort of thing, I think I view him as a top 5 catcher maybe even 3/4.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 1

Interested to know what some of the awesome prospect people we have here on the boards know about Devin Williams (Milwaukee SP).

Ive been looking for under the radar pitching prospects to add in my deep dynasty league and noticed his AA stats this year: 2.36 ERA, 76K in 53.1 IP against 29BB. WHIP is at 1.181.  24 y.o. righty.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, apap414 said:

Interested to know what some of the awesome prospect people we have here on the boards know about Devin Williams (Milwaukee SP).

Ive been looking for under the radar pitching prospects to add in my deep dynasty league and noticed his AA stats this year: 2.36 ERA, 76K in 53.1 IP against 29BB. WHIP is at 1.181.  24 y.o. righty.

I was impressed at his numbers that you posted but he is an RP not SP. He was an SP in 2018 but now only pitches in the pen in 2019 

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On the same note ... I know the guy is old from a prospect perspective (27) but look at Ashton Goudeau SP COL number this year in AA

IP : 61

K/9 : 11.07

BB/9 : 1.18

ERA : 2.07

FIP : 2.00

xFIP : 2.03

Sits at 90-93 on FB ... 12:30 spin axis, plus split/change

• Like 1

So following tonight's absolute insane performance it's time to add Brailyn Marquez to your list to watch. A lefty starter who hits 100MPH regularly and has a nasty slider to go with it. He lacks a third pitch at the moment, but both the upside and risk are very high.

The 20 year old put up the best game of his career tonight in A ball

6IP 1H 0ER 0BB 14K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Brailyn Marquez, 14 Ks today for the SB Cubs. Have read some really good reports on him. 

Editing 

Just realized the last comment was on him. Did a search and his name didn't came up. Sorry for the repost. 

Edited by fikocr

10 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

So following tonight's absolute insane performance it's time to add Brailyn Marquez to your list to watch. A lefty starter who hits 100MPH regularly and has a nasty slider to go with it. He lacks a third pitch at the moment, but both the upside and risk are very high.

The 20 year old put up the best game of his career tonight in A ball

6IP 1H 0ER 0BB 14K

I would be excited if there were more consistancy to his game. I looked at his season numbers last night and while the K's are nice hes not that consistant - it looks like some games he gets as low as 2 K's and seem to average around 5? Also he will need to improve his walk rate but with that said, he's young so hopefully he works it all out.

11 hours ago, Gauthmann44 said:

I would be excited if there were more consistancy to his game. I looked at his season numbers last night and while the K's are nice hes not that consistant - it looks like some games he gets as low as 2 K's and seem to average around 5? Also he will need to improve his walk rate but with that said, he's young so hopefully he works it all out.

In my league, where each owner has rights to a particular farm system, the info you just mentioned gives ammo for a potential buy low opportunity. Of course, attempting so right after his best performance of his career would probably not be wise...

I asked the mods to unarchive the Mason Martin thread. He just turned 20 and I think he probably has the lead in minor league home runs at 28.  Has hit better since he got promoted to Hi A as well. Probably a better prospect for an OBP than standard league though

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I asked the mods to unarchive the Mason Martin thread. He just turned 20 and I think he probably has the lead in minor league home runs at 28.  Has hit better since he got promoted to Hi A as well. Probably a better prospect for an OBP than standard league though

Vogelbach-esque.

6 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Vogelbach-esque.

If this year's Vogelbach is legit, that's a pretty good dynasty asset for 12 team+ obp leagues. He's been my starting 1b almost all year and I'm having a good season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If this year's Vogelbach is legit, that's a pretty good dynasty asset for 12 team+ obp leagues. He's been my starting 1b almost all year and I'm having a good season.

I was looking around A ball the last 3 weeks and saw that guy didn't get alot of Helium anywhere, defensive issue ?  Pirates are known to drag their prospect until promotion .... Anyways, I scooped him up back then when I saw he was promoted to A+, can't go wrong in deep league

19 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

I was looking around A ball the last 3 weeks and saw that guy didn't get alot of Helium anywhere, defensive issue ?  Pirates are known to drag their prospect until promotion .... Anyways, I scooped him up back then when I saw he was promoted to A+, can't go wrong in deep league

Remind me of how I felt about Chavis like 2 years ago. Hitting for so much power consistently all season long that he needs to be owner in deeper leagues. Strikeout rate isn't ideal but at least it's under 30 and he's still quite young. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Absolutely agree!  Martin definitely has a ton of power and patience.  He's also young enough that he might become an even better hitter as he matures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

I've owned and dropped him twice over the last 3 years.   The power is legit, the strike outs are an issue.   And I think i mentioned somewhere else that my faith in the Pitt development system isn't high.   

On 7/16/2019 at 11:59 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Certainly not the classic 'deep' sleeper (and no individual thread) but saw this note and thought it was interesting:

Jhoan Duran, RHP, Twins (45 FV to 50 fV):
Duran’s velo is up, with the right-hander sitting 95-99 now. The secondaries are good, as is the frame. He’s athletic, and strike throwing has improved but is still just okay. He could continue to rise if that aspect turns a corner, which is possible given Duran’s grace and body control.