lobsterback

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

Adam Stauffer, RHP, Baltimore Orioles 

6'7" 240 pounds, 20 years old, A ball

(Short A/A Ball): 37 IP, 1.22 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 11.7 K/9, 3.2 K/BB

His stuff looks pretty good from the videos I've seen of his on twitter. Flying under the radar but has pretty much dominated this year. Baltimore has a couple huge pitchers in the lower levels worth watching (Leonardo Rodriguez, Dallas Litscher). 

• Like 1

I like me an Astros prospect always, even if this guy is 3rd in the Luis Garcia rankings temporarily, 4th if you count the reliever in the majors now.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:01 AM, Italian_guy said:

I'm looking for some deep high ceiling prospects.

Last year we had Alex Canario, Kris Robinson, Julio Rodriguez and George Valera.

What's up this year?

And the winner is....

Miguel Hiraldo, Shortstop/3B, Blue Jays

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1

Miguel Vargas 3B LAD is a nice deep sleeper.  For all the love George Valera is getting it's funny because in one of my keeper leagues the George Valera owner keeps insisting he's hooking me up by trying to offer me Valera straight up for Vargas and I won't do it.  

44 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Miguel Vargas 3B LAD is a nice deep sleeper.  For all the love George Valera is getting it's funny because in one of my keeper leagues the George Valera owner keeps insisting he's hooking me up by trying to offer me Valera straight up for Vargas and I won't do it.  

I think he is and you should. But who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think he is and you should. But who knows.

I think Valera is one of the most over hyped prospects on these boards.  He's striking out more than once a game in short season ball... Miguel Vargas is the son of a former big leaguer in Advanced A ball demonstrating very good peripherals there.  Granted he isn't lighting it up OPS wise but is hitting .296 in his last 13 games.  I'll take the further advanced infielder with superior plate discipline.  Valera is a nice player and all but I don't get the hype.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:33 PM, Strike Three said:

And the winner is....

Miguel Hiraldo, Shortstop/3B, Blue Jays

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He's owned already in my league. 

Miguel Vargas is not. 

May have been mentioned already but another Astros Pitcher monitor.

Cristian Javier RHP 6'1" 204 AA Texas league.

102 IP, 1.75 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 13.6 k/9, 2.8 k/bb

On 8/18/2019 at 6:44 AM, sagrim said:

May have been mentioned already but another Astros Pitcher monitor.

Cristian Javier RHP 6'1" 204 AA Texas league.

102 IP, 1.75 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 13.6 k/9, 2.8 k/bb

Yes Cristian Javier is an absolute stud in a great organization to teach pitching.  The other deeper sleeper Astros pitcher is Valente Bellozo

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Yes Cristian Javier is an absolute stud in a great organization to teach pitching.  The other deeper sleeper Astros pitcher is Valente Bellozo

Luis Garcia says hello as well.

• Like 1

Liover Peguero, SS, ARI is also an interesting prospect whose name has come up. John Sickels answered a question about him in his recent prospect mailbag and he was mentioned in a FG article about being upgraded to a 45+FV, basically putting him in the tier just outside the top 100. He's 18 and his numbers have been very good this year:

.364/.410//970 in Rookie ball

.306/.358/.828 in Class A short season

FG says he's got a very good hit tool and speed, and he projects as an everyday shortstop. He wasn't projected to have a lot of power, but is actually showing some.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-32-prospects-arizona-diamondbacks/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gilberto Celestino been on fire, 1.068 OPS since promotion to A+ and 1.039 OPS combined over the past 30 days.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Certainly high reliever risk

-but 3rd game out of 4 with 10+ks (the one where he didnt was 7) + Astros.

-High walks on the season still, needs some improvement there

ARTICLE ON HIM

https://therunnersports.com/once-a-sleeper-houston-astros-luis-garcia-has-stuff-thats-keeping-hitters-awake/

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 2:14 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Luis Garcia says hello as well.

Jojanse Torres is another one. 

Weird backstory where MLB would not approve his contract for some reason.  The Brewers tried to sign him in 2015 but it was not approved.  It took the Astros over a year to finally sign Torres. He just turned 24 but has gone from the DSL to the Carolina League in one year. Torres can throw up to 100 and also has a slider and change up that have potential to be plus pitches.

Edited by Lonny Baxter
  • Like 1

Luis Matos just brought up to the AZL the other day.  Dude is lighting the world on fire.  34 XBH 21 SBs (Only 3 CS) .367/566/1004

12% SO Rate....and oh btw he's 17.  🔥🔥🔥

Don't look now but the Giants are loaded in the lower minors.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Since being demoted after a brief stint with the White Sox, Zack Collins is batting 351/.456/.685 over 32 games at AAA Charlotte and has cut his K rate roughly in half. Apparently he made a swing change and has turned into Babe Ruth. Worth keeping an eye on if you need help at catcher down the stretch. I've liked him since he was in college because he has an absolutely elite eye and prodigious power. Always thought he could turn into an Adam Dunn type with the huge benefit of being Catcher eligible. He should be up now, but I guess they're going to wait til September.

Edited by sleepysock

I’m not sure that he qualifies as a deep sleeper but Noelvi Marte is a guy who is really rising fast. Started out the year around #200 but James Anderson mentioned during a chat this week that he will have him in his off-season top 100 with a chance of him being a top 10 player a year from now.

Definitely a guy to monitor if your league rosters around 100 prospects.

On 8/27/2019 at 3:12 AM, Lonny Baxter said:

Jojanse Torres is another one. 

Weird backstory where MLB would not approve his contract for some reason.  The Brewers tried to sign him in 2015 but it was not approved.  It took the Astros over a year to finally sign Torres. He just turned 24 but has gone from the DSL to the Carolina League in one year. Torres can throw up to 100 and also has a slider and change up that have potential to be plus pitches.

picked up this guy in a deep points league.  He's going to be pitching in the AFL, so he could garner some hype in the offseason. Not sure if he's starting or relieving in the AFL, but he's been a starter for most of the year.

Two older, very late 2018 draft picks have been impressive in the Arizona Fall League. I am a sucker for a good underdog story. 

Mariners RHP Penn Murfee was a 2018 33rd round draft pick that spent most of the year in AA.  He will be 26 in May.  Murfee was at Vanderbilt most of his college career but finished at Santa Clara.  He was mostly a position before moving to pitching full time in 2018.  He only has allowed 1 earned in 10 innings in the Arizona Fall League.  Last night he struck out 7 in 4 shutout innings.

Rangers RHP RP Cole Uvila was a 40th 2018 draft pick that spent most of the year in High A where he struck out 85 batters in 57 innings.  He missed two full years with Tommy John.  In 6 scoreless innings in the Arizona Fall League, Uvila has struck out 11.  

There is an excellent podcast about Uvila.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/razed-sports/id1426076554

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1