lobsterback

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

Angel Rojas SS Yankees

From Fangraphs Yankees list:

“Rojas was one of the players the Braves signed in the months before their international scandal; he became a free agent before playing a game for the club. After keeping his voided $300,000 deal with the Braves, Rojas was scooped up by the Yankees months later for $350,000. When he signed with Atlanta, Rojas was under-the-radar and weighed about 130 pounds with some quick-twitch ability, plus speed, and the hands for shortstop, a prospect who the Braves thought would grow with physical maturity. Move about 18 months into the future, and Rojas is a plus-plus runner with a plus-plus arm who is up to about 160 pounds and has achieved in-game exit velos as high as 108 mph. It’s still a flatter-planed, contact-oriented swing, and Rojas often plays out of control as he’s still learning how to harness his newly-improved tools, but the DSL performance was solid and this is too much like a Jose Reyes starter kit to ignore.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

Thank you for this, it is good stuff

If you're interested I can send you the rest of the 6 rounds, just DM me

37 minutes ago, lobsterback said:

If you're interested I can send you the rest of the 6 rounds, just DM me

My league is not that deep, but the order of the international guys was nice to see. It's unlimited minors but always some out their that are worth something

28 minutes ago, BIG SKI said:

My league is not that deep, but the order of the international guys was nice to see. It's unlimited minors but always some out their that are worth something

In an unlimited minors league I would literally roster every tee-baller in the database. 

Maybe that's some slight hyperbole, but if there are any players on the ImaginaryBrickWalls top 450 (I think that number is right?) that aren't owned I'd add them. Rotowire has a top 400 that is excellent and kept up to date through the season, subscription required but totally worth it. 

Fernando Tatis Jr was ranked 30th on the MLB Pipeline J2 rankings during his signing period, so I would always roster the top 30-50 international guys. 

2 minutes ago, lobsterback said:

In an unlimited minors league I would literally roster every tee-baller in the database. 

Maybe that's some slight hyperbole, but if there are any players on the ImaginaryBrickWalls top 450 (I think that number is right?) that aren't owned I'd add them. Rotowire has a top 400 that is excellent and kept up to date through the season, subscription required but totally worth it. 

Fernando Tatis Jr was ranked 30th on the MLB Pipeline J2 rankings during his signing period, so I would always roster the top 30-50 international guys. 

Can only take 5 a year and the cost $5 a year to keep, but I hear ya

Whats the consensus view on Blue Jays RF Chavez Young?

Had a breakout season last year and looked good in doing so, yet getting little notoriety. Solid wheels and gets on-base at an impressive clip.

Worth keeping an eye on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How bout Luis Rengifo?? Here is a snippet from the Klaw AL West Teams write-up:

"Rengifo seemed like a throw-in when the Angels traded CJ Cron to the Rays, but he's turned into a legitimate prospect, certainly a top-150 guy in the majors, a 55 defender at short and maybe a 60 at second base who has shown exceptional bat-to-ball skills and plus speed, stealing at a 78 percent clip before he got to Triple-A. Shortstop in Anaheim is locked down, but second base is open, and Rengifo could hit his way into that job in short order."

I am all over the MI guys with some decent tools that have this kinda proximity...about to turn 22 and a switch hitter

3 stops last year:

161 ABs in HighA=  .323/.426/.466 with 22 SBs

151 ABs in AA=   .305/.420/.477 with 13 SBs

191 ABs in AAA=  .274/.358/.421 with 6 SBs

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 3

Rengifo is intersting, but still feels like a team utility guy or a very low end MI option for fantasy if he's a starter. I don't see a lot of upside here. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't mind owning him in a deep minors league, but I probably take my chances on 150 other guys before him. He's close though. I think the deeper the league is, the better his chances. If it was like a 20 team league or AL  ONLY, I'd feel better about rostering him and getting some value.  Not sold on his 12 team dynasty outlook, he's probably replacement level. That being said, anytime someone moves up 3 levels in one year it's wise to take notes.

probably time to do an update on some of the names i'm currently on as i troll the obscure fringes of prospect rankings. i'll break them up into categories and do a few separate posts, don't have time right now to do all at once

first group: HIGH UPSIDE PITCHERS OBSCURED BY TJ OR WHATEVER

michael grove, dodgers - their top signed draft pick this year. another guy they drafted out of TJ rehab, similar to what they did with buehler. past performance doesn't guarantee future results, of course, but the dodgers always seem to know what they're doing with pitching

zach willeman, dodgers - speaking of that. another guy the dodgers picked up, even more obscure, but saw some reports out of fall instructional league that he came back and was throwing like 99 with plus secondaries

jordan holloway, marlins - basically the identical situation to willeman, only on the marlins. marlins added him to the 40-man even though he's barely pitched and is still in A-ball, and he apparently looked awesome in instructs. fangraphs prospect guys have been talking him up a little in chats. this from today:

1:31

Weenie: If Jordan Holloway pitches like he did in instructs for a whole season (100 IP for him?), is he a top 100 prospect?

1:31

Kiley McDaniel: Yeah, I mean if he’s 95-97 with a plus breaker and looks like he can start that’s like just below Kopech. Wouldn’t bet on that, but it’s possible

as always, google their names for more

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

@wily mo many thanks for passing those along, will keep them on the watch list.  Any bats that are more obscure you are following?

A guy I'm watching is Mike Siani, OF Reds, who was taken in the 4th round of this past draft.  Guy is probably a 70+ grade on his speed that looks like he's going to stick in CF, could develop some decent power, 15+ hrs.  Good build, 6'1 180lbs.   Got some Benintendi comps, I believe.  Put him on your watch list.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

@wily mo many thanks for passing those along, will keep them on the watch list.  Any bats that are more obscure you are following?

some, i'll work around to that. the next group i'm gonna do is probably relief / closer prospects, which is kind of my special area of interest these days. since they're generally ignored compared to everything else, and they move really fast compared to other prospects, so basically, if you pay special attention to them, you get a lot of free stuff really quickly. i like that

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

How bout Luis Rengifo?? Here is a snippet from the Klaw AL West Teams write-up:

"Rengifo seemed like a throw-in when the Angels traded CJ Cron to the Rays, but he's turned into a legitimate prospect, certainly a top-150 guy in the majors, a 55 defender at short and maybe a 60 at second base who has shown exceptional bat-to-ball skills and plus speed, stealing at a 78 percent clip before he got to Triple-A. Shortstop in Anaheim is locked down, but second base is open, and Rengifo could hit his way into that job in short order."

I am all over the MI guys with some decent tools that have this kinda proximity...about to turn 22 and a switch hitter

3 stops last year:

161 ABs in HighA=  .323/.426/.466 with 22 SBs

151 ABs in AA=   .305/.420/.477 with 13 SBs

191 ABs in AAA=  .274/.358/.421 with 6 SBs

I mentioned Rengifo in last years deep sleepers thread as well. Likely won't break camp as a starter but it's not like 2B is set in stone in Anaheim right now. Angels are also toying with having David Fletcher play some corner OF spots so perhaps he's being groomed as a super utility guy long-term(which I think is more likely with his profile). I'd expect Rengifo to play his way to MLB at some point this season

• Like 3

Guys I may have talked about, but deep guys I could see making a move up this year who can be purchased for low/free now

Francisco MoralesCarlos Rincon

Thomas Sazpucki

Tyreque Reed ( @FouLLine)

Luis Medina

Antoni Flores

Esteban Quiroz/Richie Martin (Martin I think starts in the majors, and Quiroz is pretty major league ready and could be an MI option)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Esteban Quiroz/Richie Martin (Martin I think starts in the majors, and Quiroz is pretty major league ready and could be an MI option)

i was loving quiroz until this... whole machado thing happened

now it's hard to see how he ever sees the light of day in san diego, with machado / tatis / urias

he might actually be roughly as good as urias, imo, but, it's still hard to see

• Like 1

Has Julio Rodriguez, OF, SEA been mentioned yet?

How would his upside compare fantasy wise with someone like Everson Pereira?

5 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

I mentioned Rengifo in last years deep sleepers thread as well. Likely won't break camp as a starter but it's not like 2B is set in stone in Anaheim right now. Angels are also toying with having David Fletcher play some corner OF spots so perhaps he's being groomed as a super utility guy long-term(which I think is more likely with his profile). I'd expect Rengifo to play his way to MLB at some point this season

I picked Rengifo up last year in my AL only thanks to your post BB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Has Julio Rodriguez, OF, SEA been mentioned yet?

How would his upside compare fantasy wise with someone like Everson Pereira?

Rodriguez I've seen on enough 100 lists to not be classified as a deep sleeper, I'd rather have him than Pereira, the power projection seems a lot better, the worst part of his profile seems to be that he's a Mariner. Pereia seems like he might have a solid hit tool, but as of now I don't see enough power or speed to get too excited about.  Wouldn't dismiss him, but just rather have Julio.

• Thanks 1

Logan Gilbert, big 6'6" arm from Stetson drafted in the first round last year by Seattle but a little bit forgotten because he was shut down with mono of all things. I think that Seattle wanted to give his arm a break. He was mid 90s and dropped to low 90s...was projected to be at the top of the draft, but fell to 14th. He did regain his velocity late in the season for Stetson.

Stetson turned out deGrom and Clevinger.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wily mo said:

some, i'll work around to that. the next group i'm gonna do is probably relief / closer prospects, which is kind of my special area of interest these days. since they're generally ignored compared to everything else, and they move really fast compared to other prospects, so basically, if you pay special attention to them, you get a lot of free stuff really quickly. i like that

Colin Poche and Fernando Romero I think are gonna be impact relievers this year.

Posted (edited)

Taylor Ward if he breaks camp with the Angels. This could also go in the MLB portion since I'm not sure he still qualifies for MiLB.

Edited by BigPapi44

Just got done doing a lot of deep drafts so now is probably a good time to mention my targets.

Cole Roederer, OF, ChC - The Cubs have a knack for drafting advanced hitters. He doesn't have a stand out tool but does a lot of things well. He seems like someone the Cubs could eventually view as a leadoff hitter someday. 
Brennan Davis, OF, ChC - I consider Roederer and Davis to be A and B. I prefer Roederer but if I don't get one, i'm targeting the other. Davis is further away but has more upside than Roederer as he could develop a good deal of power and speed. 
Lenny Torres Jr, SP, Cle - 18 years old, one of the youngest players in the 2018 draft class, and already has two plus pitches. If he can develop a third he could be a top of the rotation name.
Carlos Vargas, SP, Cle - Throws 99 and has a solid slider. There are questions about developing a third pitch but there is time for that.
Antoni Flores, SS, BOS - Not as much of a sleeper but solid across the board production and could stick at shortstop. 
Richard Palacios, SS/2B, Cle - Has a nice hit tool with some speed and not as much power. The ceiling is still interesting as his hit tool could carry him to the majors.
Kevin Alcantara, OF, NYY - Raw but there are a lot of positive reports coming out from scouts that he could be the next big Yankees prospect. Given the way they develop talent and the obvious ball park advantage, I would take a shot. 

Players that I thought were deep but others were more interested:

Tucupita Marcano, 2B, SD - Interesting name and has plenty of time to develop but the Padres are so deep that a 2B only prospect seems like someone who could be expendable. 
Alexander Vargas, SS, NYY - Been seeing some pretty aggressive picks for him and while he is a good name to watch, he seems like more of a flier to me. Still, if you can get him in a deeper league, the upside is there.
Michael Grove, SP, LAD - Wily mo already mentioned him but I thought I would bring him up again. Injuries caused him to fall to the second round where the Dodgers took the proactive approach to draft him. If he can stay healthy there is a lot of upside in his profile. 
Gabriel Rodriguez, SS/3B, CLE - Still very young at 17 years old but has time to develop. Probably won't have much speed but could develop a good hit tool and possibly some power.

Deep Deep Dart Throws: 
Freddy Valdez, OF, NYM - Needs a swing change but has a lot of raw power and time to develop.
Luis Toribio, 3B, SFG - 18 years old and could profile has a pretty strong power hitter at 3B
Carlos Rodriguez, OF, MIL - Speedster with a nice hit tool. Very young at age 18 so time will tell with the profile but he's interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2