lobsterback

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

1 hour ago, thewallsaround said:

Just got done doing a lot of deep drafts so now is probably a good time to mention my targets.

Cole Roederer, OF, ChC - The Cubs have a knack for drafting advanced hitters. He doesn't have a stand out tool but does a lot of things well. He seems like someone the Cubs could eventually view as a leadoff hitter someday. 
Brennan Davis, OF, ChC - I consider Roederer and Davis to be A and B. I prefer Roederer but if I don't get one, i'm targeting the other. Davis is further away but has more upside than Roederer as he could develop a good deal of power and speed. 
Lenny Torres Jr, SP, Cle - 18 years old, one of the youngest players in the 2018 draft class, and already has two plus pitches. If he can develop a third he could be a top of the rotation name.
Carlos Vargas, SP, Cle - Throws 99 and has a solid slider. There are questions about developing a third pitch but there is time for that.
Antoni Flores, SS, BOS - Not as much of a sleeper but solid across the board production and could stick at shortstop. 
Richard Palacios, SS/2B, Cle - Has a nice hit tool with some speed and not as much power. The ceiling is still interesting as his hit tool could carry him to the majors.
Kevin Alcantara, OF, NYY - Raw but there are a lot of positive reports coming out from scouts that he could be the next big Yankees prospect. Given the way they develop talent and the obvious ball park advantage, I would take a shot. 

Players that I thought were deep but others were more interested:

Tucupita Marcano, 2B, SD - Interesting name and has plenty of time to develop but the Padres are so deep that a 2B only prospect seems like someone who could be expendable. 
Alexander Vargas, SS, NYY - Been seeing some pretty aggressive picks for him and while he is a good name to watch, he seems like more of a flier to me. Still, if you can get him in a deeper league, the upside is there.
Michael Grove, SP, LAD - Wily mo already mentioned him but I thought I would bring him up again. Injuries caused him to fall to the second round where the Dodgers took the proactive approach to draft him. If he can stay healthy there is a lot of upside in his profile. 
Gabriel Rodriguez, SS/3B, CLE - Still very young at 17 years old but has time to develop. Probably won't have much speed but could develop a good hit tool and possibly some power.

Deep Deep Dart Throws: 
Freddy Valdez, OF, NYM - Needs a swing change but has a lot of raw power and time to develop.
Luis Toribio, 3B, SFG - 18 years old and could profile has a pretty strong power hitter at 3B
Carlos Rodriguez, OF, MIL - Speedster with a nice hit tool. Very young at age 18 so time will tell with the profile but he's interesting.

Wow how deep is your league? 

18 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

Wow how deep is your league? 

Did a start up 20 team dynasty league with 20 minor spots (at least 400 owned) and just finished up a 10 round FYPD that has 15 teams and 20 minor spots (at least 350 owned). The other leagues i'm in are more shallow but doing the deeper leagues helps put players on my radar quicker.

• Like 1

Love this thread! Thank you all! I just started in a couple dynasty leagues and would love advice on this bunch! Pretty deep 20 team league. How would you guys rank:Lavigne, A. Flores, D. Garcia, M Nunez, J Downs, E. Ruiz, Y Severino, S. Matias, S. Newton, T. Ornelas, T. Marcano, C. Roederer, Connor Scott, Antonio Cabello.

Apologies for the long list! Appreciate any advice guys!

How about Moises Gomez OF TB? Put up a 131 wRC+ in A ball as a 19 year old. Hit 19 HR’s in 122 games with 34 doubles and 7 triples. Has 50 speed as you can see by the triples but SB potential doesn’t look great judging by his success rate. 27SB to 11CS. However he seems to be a good athlete. K/BB is the only thing preventing me from really loving him. 

Fangraphs has him at an overall 45 grade with a future 50 hit potential and 55 game power potential. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny289 said:

Love this thread! Thank you all! I just started in a couple dynasty leagues and would love advice on this bunch! Pretty deep 20 team league. How would you guys rank:Lavigne, A. Flores, D. Garcia, M Nunez, J Downs, E. Ruiz, Y Severino, S. Matias, S. Newton, T. Ornelas, T. Marcano, C. Roederer, Connor Scott, Antonio Cabello.

Apologies for the long list! Appreciate any advice guys!

In order for my personal preference: Ruiz, Cabello, Roederer, Downs, Newton, Flores, Garcia, Lavigne, Nunez, Ornelas, Severino, Scott, Marcano

42 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

How about Moises Gomez OF TB? Put up a 131 wRC+ in A ball as a 19 year old. Hit 19 HR’s in 122 games with 34 doubles and 7 triples. Has 50 speed as you can see by the triples but SB potential doesn’t look great judging by his success rate. 27SB to 11CS. However he seems to be a good athlete. K/BB is the only thing preventing me from really loving him. 

Fangraphs has him at an overall 45 grade with a future 50 hit potential and 55 game power potential. 

Definitely a solid deep league pick. I worry that he has the type of profile that will not age well and TB does take the slow approach with development but their track record is hard to deny. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny289 said:

Thanks so much! How do you feel about Freudis Nova? Towards the top of that list?

I'd probably put him ahead of Flores. There is a case to be made to put him ahead of Newton as well but the only concern with Nova is that he is a long ways away and could flame out really quickly. There is tons of upside there as he has real power and speed and if he taps into it all could be a 20/20 threat who has good defensive range and could play all around the diamond.

In short, I consider Nova a good post-hype sleeper.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Junior Santos SP Mets

Lazaro Estrada SP Jays

Jonah Davis OF Pittsburgh

Luis Toribio INF SF

Nathan Eaton 2B KC

Rochest Cruz 2B Cubs

Bryce Bush 3B White Sox

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Junior Santos SP Mets

Lazaro Estrada SP Jays

Jonah Davis OF Pittsburgh

Luis Toribio INF SF

Nathan Eaton 2B KC

Rochest Cruz 2B Cubs

Bryce Bush 3B White Sox

Good lord, fangraphs shows that Rochest Cruz stole 56 bases in 66 games. More SB’s than runs. More BB’s than K’s too. Wowza 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ImHighandInside said:

Why?

Got him last year liked his stats and I just saw an article about him on fangraph

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/fantasy-fringe-five-a-reintroduction/

"Swarmer snugly fits the mold of “high-minors pitcher with a robust strikeout-to-walk ratio (K/BB),” recording more than five times as many strikeouts as walks (25.2% K, 4.5% BB, 5.58 K/BB) since the start of the 2017 season (230 innings). In 2018 alone (against higher-quality opponents, to boot), those marks, respectively, improved to 26.2%, 4.1%, and 6.43."

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge

7 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Got him last year liked his stats and I just saw an article about him on fangraph

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/fantasy-fringe-five-a-reintroduction/

"Swarmer snugly fits the mold of “high-minors pitcher with a robust strikeout-to-walk ratio (K/BB),” recording more than five times as many strikeouts as walks (25.2% K, 4.5% BB, 5.58 K/BB) since the start of the 2017 season (230 innings). In 2018 alone (against higher-quality opponents, to boot), those marks, respectively, improved to 26.2%, 4.1%, and 6.43."

Thanks for the information, never even heard of him before. 

Taylor Walls SS TB. I'm a sucker for middle infielders with good K/BB, and he has some speed too. He was a little older than I'd like at A ball being 21, but he was a 3 year college player. He put up 31SB(caught 12 though), 28 doubles, 6 triples, 6 HR, and a 137wRC+ in 120 games. 66BB/80K which is what he did in college as well. 

• Thanks 1

Just read this article which has a few names. Of interest is Shane McLanahan. If anyone has any info, would love to hear it. Here's the blurb with a link to the site:

It’s hard to not love a lefty with a triple digits heater. There’s minimal on this kid as far as minor league numbers (rookie ball, 7 IP, 13 K, 3 H, 1 BB), but that shouldn’t shy you away from him. McClanahan was as nearly as good as any arm in the 2018 draft. His fastball grades out as a future 70, with his slider, changeup and control grading out at 50, 55, and 50, respectively.  McLanahan turns 22 during the first month of the season. Even with limited MiLB exposure, I could see him end up with the Rays at the end of 2018 (he’d be an incredible weapon out of the bullpen). I think his long term upside is that of a front-end starter, but he will have a lot of competition for rotation spots as they become available (Honeywell, McKay, Liberatore, Baz, and De Leon to name a few of the competition arms).

https://www.majorleaguefantasysports.com/2019/03/29/gehlbach-on-the-farm-5-under-the-radar-pitching-prospects-for-2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Does Jeter Downs qualify here? 

45) Jeter Downs LAD, SS, 20.8 – Selected 32nd overall in the 2017 draft, Downs full season debut was a smashing success, displaying a plus plate approach, plus base stealing ability, and a 50.4% FB%. He has the tools to be an absolute fantasy stud. ETA: 2023 Prime Projection: 88/23/77/.271/.355/.468/18

https://www.imaginarybrickwall.com/category/top-472-prospect-ranking/

45 is pretty high but have much respect for IBW rankings. Outside top 100 everywhere else i think. Not much noise on him but was the main piece in the Puig trade.

1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Does Jeter Downs qualify here? 

https://www.imaginarybrickwall.com/category/top-472-prospect-ranking/

45 is pretty high but have much respect for IBW rankings. Outside top 100 everywhere else i think. Not much noise on him but was the main piece in the Puig trade.

Dig in a little more trying to peice him together. Seems like scouts are high on him as high floor player. So should be a mlber. The optimism is the power develops as he fills out. Law thinks he ends up at second. Good plate disciple but besides that SBs the rest hasn’t show up yet. But should it happen this season, a couple stayed he should pop in the top 100 lists by mid season. Haven’t seen much negativity at all. Seems like a statistical breakout would affirm the scouting reports. 

On 3/29/2019 at 8:52 PM, 12to6 said:

Just read this article which has a few names. Of interest is Shane McLanahan. If anyone has any info, would love to hear it. Here's the blurb with a link to the site:

https://www.majorleaguefantasysports.com/2019/03/29/gehlbach-on-the-farm-5-under-the-radar-pitching-prospects-for-2019

Thanks for the share (my article) :)

He was my 2nd favorite arm in the draft. I'm a sucker for left handed 'spec arms that have power fastballs. Grading out at 50's+ is nice, too. He's got a nice changeup, is left handed, and throws heat. I can take some slight command issues, even though I'm not THAT worried about McC in that regard (because of what he costs). Control can be learned, 100 MPH can't be. If he develops even an average slider, he can be lethal in the majors. I think he has a real good shot to stick in the rotation as long as he stays healthy. In the 'pen he could

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Think he was mentioned a while back by @lobsterback

but this article came out today, pretty interesting

http://baseball-farm.com/index.php/2019/04/09/jack-herman-the-best-prospect-youve-never-heard-of/

This article definitely got my attention. Wish I had seen this before my dynasty draft.

• Like 1

Zac Gallen ... Won't be a deep sleeper for long I pounced on him in my dynasties.

• Like 2

Just now, FouLLine said:

Zac Gallen ... Won't be a deep sleeper for long I pounced on him in my dynasties.

As did I...he already had a solid floor and now his stuff ticked up...plus he's basically almost ready...NL and that park...and nearly free!

37 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

I had him added in a league before last season ended.  He's already super close to the majors, next guy in line, projected to be a back end starter and now all of a suden his stuff ticked up.  This could be a very interesting guy. People have pitchers who are 2-3 years away from contributing, and Zac Gallen will be up THIS year and pitching in a very friendly ballpark.