lobsterback

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Think he was mentioned a while back by @lobsterback

but this article came out today, pretty interesting

http://baseball-farm.com/index.php/2019/04/09/jack-herman-the-best-prospect-youve-never-heard-of/

Thanks Brock.  Given all the points raised in the article, I'm a bit surprised they aren't challenging him with a full-season assignment.

• Like 1

I believe this thread last season (or the one before) is where I first learned about him, but it appears Ryan Helsley has regained his health...

STL cards prospect is back starting in AAA, heard on the Twitter he was upper 90s and even popping 100. Have to think he's STL at some point this year.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Think he was mentioned a while back by @lobsterback

but this article came out today, pretty interesting

http://baseball-farm.com/index.php/2019/04/09/jack-herman-the-best-prospect-youve-never-heard-of/

Do you know if the diamond kinetics data is available to the public or public subscribers? Can't find anything online 

22 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I had him added in a league before last season ended.  He's already super close to the majors, next guy in line, projected to be a back end starter and now all of a suden his stuff ticked up.  This could be a very interesting guy. People have pitchers who are 2-3 years away from contributing, and Zac Gallen will be up THIS year and pitching in a very friendly ballpark. 

Whats his path to the majors?  Continued struggled by Urena or for Alcantara to fall apart?  How long of a leash do you expect Urena to get? 

Also I wasn't the Herman fanboy Brock claims I was - I skimmed back through my posts and found that I brought Herman up to point out that I selected Casey Golden (who?) over him despite Herman being listed in James Anderson's top 400 prospect list. Probably wouldn't do that again after reading such a compelling hype piece. 

Oh by the way, Casey Golden keeps doing Casey Golden things, now at high-A Lancaster: 20 PA, 2 HR, 6 SO

On 4/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Gun to the head do you guys like Bryse Wilson or Gallen more?

Gallen went bananas on the Iowa Cubs today 6 IP, 3H, 1 ER, 0BB, 8K

Iowa then put up 4 ER against the bullpen after Gallen exited with his pitches at 84 - 59 for strikes.

According to search function he's not been mentioned (?) but how bout: Thomas Hyunsu Edman, or Tommy Edman if you prefer.

6th Rd pick in 16 draft for STL Cardinals, switch-hitter out of Stanford. Never wow numbers or anything but 30 SBs and over .300 BA last year in AA/AAA.

He looked pretty good in ST this year too. I don't think he's a regular SS or anything but Cards have gotten plenty out of smaller INF types before.

Worth watching in 20+ team dynasty formats imo...

Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but another name to consider is the Angels Chris Rodriguez. He's making his second start after missing last year, he was consider the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Ohtani before the injury, First start he looked solid; 93-95 with FB and did hit up to 97, threw everything with good bite, he's a four pitch pitcher each pitch is at least above average to plus.  A name to watch, could move up quick if everything clicks.  

On 4/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, TheK1d said:

Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but another name to consider is the Angels Chris Rodriguez. He's making his second start after missing last year, he was consider the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Ohtani before the injury, First start he looked solid; 93-95 with FB and did hit up to 97, threw everything with good bite, he's a four pitch pitcher each pitch is at least above average to plus.  A name to watch, could move up quick if everything clicks.  

I've had this guy on speed dial for the last two years but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Durbin Feltman RP  Boston

Currently in AA. 2018 3rd round pick. Was closer for TCU. He’s been a fast riser thru the system. Talk that he could make it to the majors this year, and possible future closer. Great K/BB ratio as well. 

• Thanks 1

You don't generally see many relief prospects,but James Karinchak in the Indians org is an interesting name.

He was a 9th round pick in 2017 and is 23.

Last year at three levels A, A+ and AA he struck out 81 in 48.2 innings.  He also walked too many batters (36).  He only allowed 29 hits

This year at AA he has pitched 6 innings with no hits and two walks.with 17 strikeouts.  Meaning he has faced 20 hitters and struck out 17!

Not exactly a deep sleeper but take heed of perhaps the best swing in last year's draft:

Jordan Groshans 141.svg 19 A (Full) 4 1 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 1 0 0 3 .364 .451 .523 .974

23 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Not exactly a deep sleeper but take heed of perhaps the best swing in last year's draft:

Jordan Groshans 141.svg 19 A (Full) 4 1 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 1 0 0 3 .364 .451 .523 .974

I like this kid... but where's he end up? 3rd and vlad at 1st probably best bet unless biggio goes to outfield and he plays 2nd? Or bo goes to 2nd he goes to ss? Guess lots of options 

8 minutes ago, hard1 said:

I like this kid... but where's he end up? 3rd and vlad at 1st probably best bet unless biggio goes to outfield and he plays 2nd? Or bo goes to 2nd he goes to ss? Guess lots of options 

Probably 3rd. We're talking about a position 3-4 years away. I think it's difficult to predict those things. If he hits, he'll play, all that matters.

• Like 2

Not sure where to post this and not sure its deserving of its own thread... but...

There has been a ton of research that suggests the MLB ball has been juiced. Now, the AAA leagues are using the MLB ball. I think savvy owners could really capitalize on this by picking up PCL hitting prospects and trading them when they start posting up monster stats. Then trade them for more for better players putting up more realistic numbers later in the season

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/

On 4/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, mpbaseball22 said:

Not sure where to post this and not sure its deserving of its own thread... but...

There has been a ton of research that suggests the MLB ball has been juiced. Now, the AAA leagues are using the MLB ball. I think savvy owners could really capitalize on this by picking up PCL hitting prospects and trading them when they start posting up monster stats. Then trade them for more for better players putting up more realistic numbers later in the season

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/

People consistently discounted pcl numbers before this. 

In dynasty leagues all the good prospects are pretty much owned. Someone like Yordan Alvarez was owned before this season. In redraft leagues, not sure what sort of owner is trading something valuable for a prospect you can't keep.

Sounds better in theory than applicability. I'm not sure there's a play here. Maybe guys in the international league become underrated.

Not really sure where this belongs, exactly...but he's no longer technically a prospect in the classic definition, still check out Austin Gomber

Off to a nice start in the PCL after 'losing 5th starter' competition to Dakota Hudson in ST...

22+IP, 17HA 5BB 22K for a 3.22 ERA...might get a chance to get in that rotation soon?

Deeeep Dive, but Kevin Cron (not a top 30 guy for ARZ) has been tearing it up in AAA to start the year...

I am sure it's PCL/Reno/MLB super-ball inflated but: 63 ABs .349/.438/.730/1.169 with 6HR and 9BB/11K

Just throwing a name here.. Daniel Johnson of Cleveland. He offers some value and has boring name so might be available even if he is in AA. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Deeeep Dive, but Kevin Cron (not a top 30 guy for ARZ) has been tearing it up in AAA to start the year...

I am sure it's PCL/Reno/MLB super-ball inflated but: 63 ABs .349/.438/.730/1.169 with 6HR and 9BB/11K

It's a good call.  He's got big power but more importantly early on this year he has cut his K% big time and his walk rate is up too.  He could get a chance at some point this year with the D-Backs and considering their home park is hitter friendly it would be an added bonus.

Edited by BigPapi44

Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but a guy I just picked up.

He's raking in AA and virtually unowned. Huge signing bonus guy too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Interesting guy if anyone has anything.

Tyler Ivey- pitcher astros 

Has had a great fip, k rate (almost 13 this year and always over 10), doesn't walk guys, has four or five pitches, is in the best organization, and is already in AA.

Both longenhagen and sickels say he's a guy to watch/ sleeper top 100 guy for 2020

Dominating this year in 16 ip, but just got suspended for pine tar. Not sure how long that suspension is. Seems like he hasn't been talked about. A lot to like here and his eta doesn't seem too far, especially if he keeps up with these great numbers. His fip and xfip have been great at every stop.

• Like 4