lobsterback

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

On 4/26/2019 at 10:14 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but a guy I just picked up.

He's raking in AA and virtually unowned. Huge signing bonus guy too.

He’s popped up on rosterresource’s MILB power rankings and fangraphs leader boards. Nice to see he’s doing it AA without the juiced balls presumably. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

He’s popped up on rosterresource’s MILB power rankings and fangraphs leader boards. Nice to see he’s doing it AA without the juiced balls presumably. 

I think it's way too early to put him in the same category as Gavin Lux, but one of these guys seems like they are they dodgers 2b of the future, maybe SD  if Turner slows down and Seager moves over.

He got a 6 million dollar bonus in the same dodgers class that yielded yordan alvarez, yadier alvarez and yunsiel Diaz. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Guys,

Juan Martinez (3B Low A Cincy), 6'0 220lbs turned 20 in November, is an under the radar guy that I've been watching this year and he continues to impress.  He put up strong numbers last year as a 19 year old in Rookie ball and was rated #19 on the Reds prospect list by BA.  So far, he seems to be adapting just fine to the cold weather in the MWL and is off to a strong start.  His k rate is a little high, but he is walking and his average for a 20 year old in that environment is something to note.  A guy to put on the watch list, imo, because he may start to pick up some hype. 

Cub SS Aramis Ademan is really killing it at A+ so far. It's his second go around, but he's still only 20 and a good bet to stick at the position. His line so far a robust .286/.435/.510.

• Like 1

Just posted a thread on him, but starting to buy Rhett Wiseman, OF, Was. Kid is unreal right now at AA and bat passes the eye test. 

So far:

.321/.375/0.718

9 hr and 22 Rbi in 23 games. 

• Like 3

2B Jalen Miler.  22 Year old 2B in AA. 

Has 5 HRs and 6 SBs so far with a 15% K rate,11% BB rate. Underrated low key 5 cat upside MI prospect.

He was a 3rd round prep bat few years ago. Giants gave him a 1.1M signing bonus to pry him from a clemson commitment. So they saw something in him. 

Squirrels manager Willie Harris, who has only seen Miller play for a few weeks, says he’s “a priority guy” for the Giants.

“His strength is his bat,” Harris said. “He can really swing the bat from what I’ve seen.”

He went on YouTube and started studying slow-motion swings of big leaguers Mike Trout, Andrew Benintendi and Chris Davis. All start with their hands fairly high, so Miller adopted that.

He also ditched a leg kick and opened his stance.

• Like 2

Check this dude out (from CBS): Josh VanMeter

VanMeter went 4-for-5 with three home runs, eight RBI, four runs and a walk Monday in Triple-A Louisville's 15-4 win over Toledo.

VanMeter looks to be one of the biggest winners of the International League implementing the same baseball that's been used in the majors this season. After managing only 12 home runs in 483 plate appearances between Triple-A and Double-A Pensacola in 2018, VanMeter has already left the yard 11 times in 25 games with Louisville. The 24-year-old has exhibited the increased power without sacrificing the solid plate skills he demonstrated during his prior stops in the minors, as he's walked in 11.9 percent of his plate appearances while striking out a palatable 18.3 percent of the time. VanMeter doesn't possess a spot on the 40-man roster and isn't a premium defender in the infield, but if he continues to punish Triple-A pitching, it wouldn't be surprising if the Reds gave him a look as a utility man later this season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

VanMeter went 4-for-5 with three home runs, eight RBI, four runs and a walk Monday in Triple-A Louisville's 15-4 win over Toledo.

VanMeter looks to be one of the biggest winners of the International League implementing the same baseball that's been used in the majors this season. After managing only 12 home runs in 483 plate appearances between Triple-A and Double-A Pensacola in 2018, VanMeter has already left the yard 11 times in 25 games with Louisville. The 24-year-old has exhibited the increased power without sacrificing the solid plate skills he demonstrated during his prior stops in the minors, as he's walked in 11.9 percent of his plate appearances while striking out a palatable 18.3 percent of the time. VanMeter doesn't possess a spot on the 40-man roster and isn't a premium defender in the infield, but if he continues to punish Triple-A pitching, it wouldn't be surprising if the Reds gave him a look as a utility man later this season.

@ST. STEVEN thanks for posting.  Not sure where they could play him right now, especially if Senzel is on his way up, but the numbers are really impressive.  It's possible that if Peraza continues to struggle they could give him a look there, or if his IF defense is not that great maybe give him a chance in LF?  One to put on the radar for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

One of the  really good prospect guys in my league picked him up a few days ago and hours after he did eddy almaguer from prospects live tweeted about him. I picked him up in a different deep league after.

If you play on fantrax there is an incorrect duplicate, make sure you get the one on Cincinnati with vanmeter as one word 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe Josh Van Meter was mentioned in the “deep sleepers” thread last year.

• Like 1

RE VanMeter, I noticed this in the Klawchat today:

"Van Meter isn't a shortstop, and obviously not a 50 HR guy, but he can hit and has come into more power even going back into last year, enough that I think he's a clear big leaguer, maybe not with a set position but someone who can play semi-regularly while moving around."

• Like 1

Probably also mentioned last year in this thread but Edward Cabrera SP marlins. Throws 100. Had 13ks no walks yesterday. It's his first jme in high A top. Seems like a Jorge Guzman/Sandy Alcantara type and no surprise he's on the same team. His control needs to get better but so far this year no complaints there. Keep an eye on his next start. I already picked him up in a deep league, if he dominates again, might be a top 250 guy who couldn't move up all year.

14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Probably also mentioned last year in this thread but Edward Cabrera SP marlins. Throws 100. Had 13ks no walks yesterday. It's his first jme in high A top. Seems like a Jorge Guzman/Sandy Alcantara type and no surprise he's on the same team. His control needs to get better but so far this year no complaints there. Keep an eye on his next start. I already picked him up in a deep league, if he dominates again, might be a top 250 guy who couldn't move up all year.

I will be making a new thread after his next start but I will say this. Article in the Athletic from BEFORE his last start said that one scout said he's "at least" a mid rotation starter and definitely a starter"

This tweet is from after the last starter by someone else

I think he might be t200 right now .

On 5/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

RE VanMeter, I noticed this in the Klawchat today:

"Van Meter isn't a shortstop, and obviously not a 50 HR guy, but he can hit and has come into more power even going back into last year, enough that I think he's a clear big leaguer, maybe not with a set position but someone who can play semi-regularly while moving around."

Another 2 bombs tonight.  Wowsas.

• Like 2

What about Garret Hill, SP, DET?

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/detroit-tigers-garrett-hill-extends-scoreless-streak/c-306902322

Hill actually has run his string of zeros up to 33 1/3 innings, counting his final 7 1/3 frames last year with the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League Tigers West.

Hill's 0.00 ERA leads all Minor League starting pitchers, and his 0.73 WHIP stands third in the Midwest League behind Peoria's Tommy Parsons (0.54) and Quad Cities' Brett Conine (0.64).

His stats this year: 26IP, 10H, 9BB, 30K

He's past rookie status, but Lucas Sims is striking out over a third of the batters he's faced in AAA so far this year

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 12to6 said:

What about Garret Hill, SP, DET?

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/detroit-tigers-garrett-hill-extends-scoreless-streak/c-306902322

His stats this year: 26IP, 10H, 9BB, 30K

I dunno, need to see more hype or someone talking about before I'm interested. Not even in High A and 23.  So he's not doing anything against impressive competition. He's certainly gotten lucky too, but even without luck still good  numbers.  He's not worth caring about for me yet unless maybe its like a 700 prospect owned league or something.   Someone to monitor if he gets some good reports and impresses against better competition.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:15 AM, mpbaseball22 said:

He's past rookie status, but Lucas Sims is striking out over a third of the batters he's faced in AAA so far this year

Any clue what's changed?

Robinson Pina, RHP, 6'4" 180 pounds, 20 Years Old

Angels, A Ball

31 1/3 IP, 2.01 ERA, 11.20 K/9

Haven't seen anything about him but worth noting that he is doing well in his first year out of rookie ball. Apparently has an electric arm so will be interesting to see if they keep him as a SP or move him to the bullpen in the future. 

A bit of a two-fer, but both Hans Crouse, SP, TEX and Cole Winn, SP, TEX are pitching together for Low-A Hickory. Winn was the 15th overall pick last year. 

A brief report on Winn from milb.com:

The 19-year-old is the 89th-ranked prospect in baseball and finished 2018 at No. 3 in Texas' system. The right-hander is equipped with three plus-pitches, including a mid-90s fastball, 12-to-6 curveball and wipeout slider.

As for Crouse:

The 6-foot-4 hurler has jumped into MLB.com's Top 100 Prospect rankings for the first time at No. 83, thanks to his plus-plus fastball and plus slider. Crouse's delivery, which features a lot of motion and includes a head whack, can look like a concern, but it hasn't hurt his control in his young career. He sported a 2.47 ERA with 62 strikeouts and 19 walks over 54 2/3 innings between Spokane and Hickory last season and has yet to issue a free pass in 7 2/3 frames this year.  

With his ability to generate swings and misses, Crouse came into 2019 as a high-ceiling arm in a system relying on its younger talent. But the Rangers have cautioned against the belief that the excitement generated by an outing like Wednesday's will mean a quick climb to Arlington.

Posted (edited)

There's also Grayson Rodriguez, SP, BAL, whom I've seen mentioned here somewhere but now I can't find it.

Rodriguez, a 19-year-old from Nacogdoches, Texas, baffled mostly much older SAL hitters in April, going 3-0 with a 0.54 ERA over three starts. In 16.2 innings, he struck out an eye-popping 28 batters (15.12 K/9), giving up just seven hits and six walks. His BAA last month stood at .123, and his WHIP at a miniscule 0.78.

and

The early success, coupled with how he's done it, sets him apart in Ramsey's eyes.  "It's extremely rare," the pitching coach said. "There's guys that are age 25 that don't have that kind of poise. It's just a credit to the work that he's done and the comfort that he has on the mound and the work that he's done during his developmental years. I'm sure that his parents had a lot to do with that. It's refreshing to see, because you don't see it like that anymore."

and

Despite his youth, he commands a sophisticated arsenal that includes a 60-grade fastball capable of reaching 97-98 mph but normally hitting a few ticks lower, a plus slider, a curveball and a changeup.  "He's done a really good job of [mixing pitches]," Ramsey said. "And that's really our focus as an organization, which is developing weapons, and he's doing that.

Maybe he and Winn and Crouse above need their own threads. Certainly going to be fun watching them all. I have an empty spot and want to pick up one, but can't figure out how to choose for the life of me.

Edited by 12to6

LAA prospect Kyle Bradish

Last years 4th round pick, he's 22 but having solid start in A+. 2.11 Era. 2.61 FIP, 2.99 Xfip with a 11 % K rate and walks are a bit high 4%.

So far  38.1 innings, 27 hits, 48 Ks and 18 BB with only 5 xbh allowed. 

• Like 1

Not sure if he has gotten any love the DS list, but Anthony Kay SP Mets, has been putting up pretty incredible numbers at AA.  9 starts 5-2, 1.07 ERA 0.77 WHIP, 52Ks in 50IP.  Don't know much about him, but see he has some pedigree at the Mets 1st Rd pick in '16.  He's 6'0 nearly 220lbs and a lefty.  Someone to keep a watch on, imo, given that he's not too far off from a call up.

I don’t know much about him other than what’s in the article below, but Jose Urquidy of the Astros might get a shot soon with the 5th spot in that rotation seemingly up for grabs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1