jfazz23

James Paxton 2019 Outlook

46 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Agreed. The overreactions are comical.   

Nobody who owns him is laughing at getting obliterated by a bottom 5 lineup just the other day.  He’s has a 1.43 whip on the season....he has 3 QS out of 13. This isn’t an overreaction, it’s a he’s been damn bad.  Furthermore he’s biggest p**** in mlb.  So part of problem is his knee is probably causing his 10 cent skull to discombobulate.  This isn’t a rainbows and sunshine situation.  He’s been bad and he only has so many bullets before he shuts himself down so every inning counts for owners.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:11 AM, BMcP said:

He’s literally allowed three runs combined in his previous two starts (14 Ks) with only 4 combined walks.  Won both of them.  Truly atrocious.

He's been brutal for the past month. The ONLY thing he has provided is Ks. 6.08 ERA, 1.76 WHIP. Woof.

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

He's been brutal for the past month. The ONLY thing he has provided is Ks. 6.08 ERA, 1.76 WHIP. Woof.

If any fantasy manager was worth his two cents, you would have had a backup plan in place after he admittedly came back from the IL and said his knee still hurt. He has had a couple good outings but he will continue to be inconsistent if he’s knee is bothering him. If he’s your sole ace then I’m sorry. I own him but as soon as he was put onto the IL I traded for pitching depth. I would recommend the same for anyone else because if his knee gets worse you can guarantee he will hit the IL before seasons end. 

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

If you’re focusing on his ERA and WHIP over the past month, taking into account his lone terrible start, I don’t know what to tell you.  Maybe you should just drop him and be rid of him, and allow some other hapless losing team to pick him up for free.

• Like 1

I have more faith in Paxton than the majority of pitchers.  The 'good' pitchers are relative to the WHOLE of the position.  All-star break should hopefully work wonders for many pitchers in THEORY too.  YOUR expectations are many a fantasy players biggest weakness.

I mean - LIST the pitchers that haven't been blown up at some point this year??  I drafted 

• Like 1

Scheduled to double start this week is that correct? And if it is whats the odds he actually makes both starts? And then whats the odds he makes both starts, and pitches well in both?

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

If you’re focusing on his ERA and WHIP over the past month, taking into account his lone terrible start, I don’t know what to tell you.  Maybe you should just drop him and be rid of him, and allow some other hapless losing team to pick him up for free.

No plans on dropping him. It's ok to recognize that one of your players is sucking without doing anything about it. He had 2 good starts, 1 bad one, and 2 horrendous ones this month. Is what it is. Seems to be most all pitchers these days.

The hard part in figuring this guy out is whether or not his performance to date is injury related, or more a matter of him no longer pitching in Seattle.  His home road splis were stark IIRC, and some worried he'd be more like the guy we're seeing now in NY, than the guy we've seen in Seattle the last couple of years.  I know as a Yankees fan I was concerned about this too.  Hopefully its injury that's causing his poor performance.

2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

The hard part in figuring this guy out is whether or not his performance to date is injury related, or more a matter of him no longer pitching in Seattle.  His home road splis were stark IIRC, and some worried he'd be more like the guy we're seeing now in NY, than the guy we've seen in Seattle the last couple of years.  I know as a Yankees fan I was concerned about this too.  Hopefully its injury that's causing his poor performance.

I doubt it.  He looks fairly injury-free at the moment.  He had a rough start in his second appearance off the IL.  Maybe he was shaking off some rust.  Since then he has looked great outside of his latest outing.  As someone who watches him like a hawk, he doesn’t appear injured at the moment.

35 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I doubt it.  He looks fairly injury-free at the moment.  He had a rough start in his second appearance off the IL.  Maybe he was shaking off some rust.  Since then he has looked great outside of his latest outing.  As someone who watches him like a hawk, he doesn’t appear injured at the moment.

In the last start at Yankee Stadium balls were flying out of Yankee Stadium.  It was like the hitters were hitting golf balls.  

Well, yes.  Also the balls are ridiculous this year, and I hope MLB pays attention and stops this stupidity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Well, yes.  Also the balls are ridiculous this year, and I hope MLB pays attention and stops this stupidity.

no kidding.  How about we have a mini-HR derby to start each game so the fans get to scratch the itch, then go back to real baseballs for the game.

• Like 1

Glad everyone’s partying it up with this guy. I’ve probably put on 5 lbs in beer calories alone because of him.

Anyone watch the game last night? Gave up a bunch of hits but pitched out of trouble, was in line for the win til the bullpen blew it. Was he getting shelled, or was it dink-and-dunk stuff?

Garbage. Stage is too big. Wish he woulda stayed in that crappy AL west where he could give you 3/4 of a good season playing in doable division. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Garbage. Stage is too big. Wish he woulda stayed in that crappy AL west where he could give you 3/4 of a good season playing in doable division. 

Playing against Houston, Texas, and Oakland is probably tougher than playing against Boston, Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto. It's not like he has to face his own Yankees hitters. He just sucks right now and has since coming back from his injury. Hard to think he ever fully recovered from that knee issue.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Playing against Houston, Texas, and Oakland is probably tougher than playing against Boston, Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto. It's not like he has to face his own Yankees hitters. He just sucks right now and has since coming back from his injury. Hard to think he ever fully recovered from that knee issue.

James doesn’t heal.  When he gets hurt it lingers for a long time.  He sucks and probably won’t get much better this year.  But I’ll give him a bit of credit.  Unlike Big Stiff Stanton at least he’s trying to be out there to help his club.  Didn’t think James had any heart.  He’s showing there is a pulse inside that chest after all.

Edited by Cmilne23

ESPN running the stat that the Yankees are 0-4 this month when Paxton starts and 10-2 when anyone else starts. Yeah.

• Like 1

If they don't wake up and smell the coffee this guy is going to f--- them in the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Playing against Houston, Texas, and Oakland is probably tougher than playing against Boston, Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto. 

Good one.  

11 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

Good one.  

Boston is first in runs scored. Tampa/Toronto/Baltimore are 18/23/27. Oakland/Houston/Texas/LAA are 7/8/9/10. If we break it down by OPS or some other stats, Houston leapfrogs Boston with Oakland, LAA, and Texas staying about the top ten, and the remaining AL East teams ranking late teens or lower.

So yes, it was a good one, supported with facts and data. 

• Like 2

When does he start getting cut? Pros: today was a pretty good day if you take out what Mookie did. 9 strikeouts no walks. Cons: You can't take out what Mookie did. 7 earned runs in total. Absolutely annihilated.

Posted (edited)

New York was worst landing spot for a loser like James.  James Paxton defines everything that a true Mariner is, gutless, weak, shrinks, flaccid, loser etc could go on and on.  Moving those personalities to big stage of NYC rarely works out.  He’d be a good reclamation project for say the Reds.  Smaller market, can aspire to win their typical 75-80 games in relative peace and quiet.  The masochist in me kind of wants to see him on a mound in the playoffs.  I’m envisioning a sub 1 inning slaughter in my head.  At first the baseball world was befuddled why all the Mariners got for Paxton was a ham sandwich.  Guess we see why.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, AnonymousRob said:

Boston is first in runs scored. Tampa/Toronto/Baltimore are 18/23/27. Oakland/Houston/Texas/LAA are 7/8/9/10. If we break it down by OPS or some other stats, Houston leapfrogs Boston with Oakland, LAA, and Texas staying about the top ten, and the remaining AL East teams ranking late teens or lower.

So yes, it was a good one, supported with facts and data. 

Yes because the pitching in that division is garbage.

Also your facts are the same as the data - not very complicated yet you try to represent them as two different things.