Dirty Little Birdie

Alex Reyes 2019 Outlook

Should be 100% by the start of spring training. Im very curious to see his ADP this year - he can definitely be one of those later round gems this year. Assuming he IS healthy by the start of the season will anyone be reaching for this guy?

It depends on how the cards plan on using him. I've heard rumors of him starting out in the pen, for an indefinite amount of time. 

He presents high risk / high reward. If you play in a league that places sone value for middle-relievers, that would help hedge some of that risk.  

That being said I don't see his ADP being too bad unless he looks great in spring and the cardinals mention wanting to get him in the rotation asap. If you have an early draft, snag him. If not, he might be too pricey. 

Basically I just wrote 3 paragraphs saying I don't know. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I feel like for shallower leagues, it might be not worth the spot because you might have to be pretty patient Dicey play in redraft but I think there's a legit buy low for dynasty leagues here.. 

12 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

It depends on how the cards plan on using him. I've heard rumors of him starting out in the pen, for an indefinite amount of time.

This will be the concern. Hasn't pitched substantial innings in two seasons. Almost wonder if they do the extended spring thing with him to bring him a long slowly. I would guess it's probably like 100 innings this year? Maybe 120?

And as for dynasties, he's not being sold any lower than guys like Luzardo are where I play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oswald737 said:

This will be the concern. Hasn't pitched substantial innings in two seasons. Almost wonder if they do the extended spring thing with him to bring him a long slowly. I would guess it's probably like 100 innings this year? Maybe 120?

And as for dynasties, he's not being sold any lower than guys like Luzardo are where I play.

I think there's a decent chance he should be valued higher than Luzardo because he has proven at least some that his stuff plays in the big leagues.  That being said good on those owners for not giving him away. Im positive there are some leagues where an owner is tired of him though. Might just want to negotiate a trade and then bring him up as a piece rather than directly asking for him.

I think the cards are optimistic with him being ready to go opening day. I think he has a late spring start and starts in AAA or possibly bullpen but not before May. 

The cardinals have tons of options at SP as well.

• Like 1

If I were the Cards I would move him per the ole "fool me once . . . " axiom.  I know injuries are by and large accidental to an extent, but he will likely need to be handled with kid gloves this year as zstlj notes.  Therefore unless he is straight dominant out of the gates, I feel there is a greater chance his value declines due to an incomplete or another injury plagued season. 

In dynasty leagues I'd still take the leap like brock stated.

• Like 1

If this guy recorded one more out he would lose rookie status, he is EXACTLY at 50 innings...which in league settings where that matters in given the ability to keep him as a minor leaguer and wait and see approach, that is HUGE.  Also in leagues (that have some sort of minor league component) that he is somehow not accounted for he can be drafted there based on traditional settings for minor leaguers. 

• Like 2

I think A Reyes has tremendous value in a deep keeper or dynasty league. I would pass on him in a standard redraft league. I'm thinking he eases back in 2019 and gains top form in 2020. I've got him in my keeper league and I'm keeping him. 100mph FB with high K/9 potential and lowish ERA is hard to find.

• Thanks 1

Anyone’s feelings changed at all? This dude is amazing when on the mound. 

• Like 1

Just now, molski said:

Anyone’s feelings changed at all? This dude is amazing when on the mound. 

About what?   Staying a middle reliever or maybe ending up as closer?  He could probably be a good closer but they are talking about maybe using Carlos Martinez there now I read somewhere.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

About what?   Staying a middle reliever or maybe ending up as closer?  He could probably be a good closer but they are talking about maybe using Carlos Martinez there now I read somewhere.

No chsnce he’s in the rotation by May?

1 minute ago, molski said:

No chsnce he’s in the rotation by May?

i'd say almost zero.

1 hour ago, pierceNKC said:

i'd say almost zero.

Never say never. I’m not confident that those other SPs will hold up the whole season

• Like 1

Just now, UberRebel said:

Never say never. I’m not confident that those other SPs will hold up the whole season

Wainrwright won't, Gant is nothing special at all. Just a matter of how many innings they want to limit Reyes to.

• Like 3

Not sure if this has been confirmed previously or not:

Alex Reyes will open in Cardinals' bullpen

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt announced Thursday that Alex Reyes will open the 2019 season in the bullpen. There was some talk early in camp about Reyes potentially opening the season in the Cardinals' starting rotation, but this is still a win for the 24-year-old right-hander considering all he's battled health-wise over the last two-plus years. He can be a weapon in relief for St. Louis and may even factor into the conversation for saves.

Derrick Goold on Twitter via Rotoworld

17 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Or was I thinking of Hudson? Haha, whoever earned that last spot the other day. It's late over here.

Dakota Hudson is good.  I see him sticking the whole year.

• Like 1

It might be a blessing in disguise that he is starting the year in the bullpen. Who knows, he might be the next Josh Hader and dominate in a middle relief role.

Interested to get thoughts on what his stuff would translate into out of the pen. I'm thinking the K/9 could approach or even exceed 12.0 but I wonder about the WHIP with his lack of control.

i just want him to finally pitch a season in the majors...he's been in my dynasty roster for the past 4 years doing nothing.

• Like 2

Time to drop Reyes?

Hicks had some trouble today, same with Miller (albeit both w/ Yellich)

Looked like Reyes was throwing well and only had a walk that turned into a run once Miller had to pitch to Yellich and crew.

I just dont know how long I want to hold him while he's a middle reliever. 

My league settings are in signature. 4 bench spots (2 of my SPs use up a bench spot when not active)

40 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

Time to drop Reyes?

Hicks had some trouble today, same with Miller (albeit both w/ Yellich)

Looked like Reyes was throwing well and only had a walk that turned into a run once Miller had to pitch to Yellich and crew.

I just dont know how long I want to hold him while he's a middle reliever. 

My league settings are in signature. 4 bench spots (2 of my SPs use up a bench spot when not active)

They took him out with 2 outs in one inning after he gave up just a walk? Obviously they don't trust him enough yet