Dirty Little Birdie

Alex Reyes 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

They took him out with 2 outs in one inning after he gave up just a walk? Obviously they don't trust him enough yet

Yes his pitches were looking good. Reyes had the bottom of the order but after he walked Cain (I believe) and Yellich was coming up, they pulled him for Miller

I think it's time to drop him, but I'm wondering if the closer situation is in flux and he may be a contender. Might drop him now and keep an eye on him

49 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

Time to drop Reyes?

Hicks had some trouble today, same with Miller (albeit both w/ Yellich)

Looked like Reyes was throwing well and only had a walk that turned into a run once Miller had to pitch to Yellich and crew.

I just dont know how long I want to hold him while he's a middle reliever. 

My league settings are in signature. 4 bench spots (2 of my SPs use up a bench spot when not active)

Nope. If Hicks can't get strikeouts then he can't close, it's that simple. Every closer needs to be able to shut the door with an out pitch when they need to, Hicks hasn't had that as yet. I don't trust Miller to stay healthy either. They're going to need someone to close. I can see Reyes being that for them this season. Keep him for the time being, it's only been a few days. 

4 minutes ago, cornerback said:

are there plans to start him later in the Season? assumed he gets it together.

No.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

No.

No plans right now but the high probability of Cards SPs getting injured would definitely change those plans

Droppable. Looked horrebdous tonight. Couldnt throw a strike. If he keeps this up, theres no way the Cards are letting him start

Ironically he had Kang struck out on a clear strike looking that the ump flat-out missed.

• Like 2

I was at least expecting some good ratios and a decent K/9 but he's been blowing everything up.

Too little data available to judge.  If you want to drop him fine.  His role is uncertain going forward.  But basing your analysis on  a mere 2 innings of work is ridiculous.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Turkey Burgers said:

Too little data available to judge.  If you want to drop him fine.  His role is uncertain going forward.  But basing your analysis on  a mere 2 innings of work is ridiculous.

Exactly this. He's had one bad outing. 

Kind of expecting the Cards to start stretching him and CMart out at some point to prepare to start again this season.

Reyes hasn’t looked good.  Seems that he is only a hold in dynasty / deep keepers. 

A little context needs to be applied here. Dude has essentially missed the last 2 seasons. He was always a starter. He is not only pitching again (at the MLB level where he has very limited experience) but he is also adjusting to being a relief pitcher. Give him some time. 

The key here is that he is pitching meaningful games. He is healthy enough to throw. That should be the biggest takeaway one week and 2 innings pitched into the season. If you think his stuff isn't that good, fine. Move on. If you think his stuff is still nasty then give him some leash. 

• Like 4

I expect this to be a transition year for Reyes. Those of us in keeper/dynasty leagues should probably hang on to him. He’s young and obviously has talent. I personally don’t think he’s going to reach his potential until next year because he’s been basically out the last 2 years and just needs some more time to put it all together.

• Like 1

Waste of a pick for those who drafted him?

2 hours ago, bigboyish said:

Optioned to AAA. I think this solidifies the drop concerns.

Probably sending him down there to get stretched out to start. He needs innings and needs to get his confidence built back up. Isn't going to happen in the bullpen in St. Louis. He'll be back. His arm is too good to be a minor league pitcher.

You won't find another SP with Reyes' upside in the Minors other than Whitley.  He's a hold for me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Dynasty said:

Probably sending him down there to get stretched out to start. He needs innings and needs to get his confidence built back up. Isn't going to happen in the bullpen in St. Louis. He'll be back. His arm is too good to be a minor league pitcher.

It's super hard to hold onto him for likely around a month until he comes back though. There's too much SP upside on the waiver in a 10 man right now.

Just now, bigboyish said:

It's super hard to hold onto him for likely around a month until he comes back though. There's too much SP upside on the waiver in a 10 man right now.

Id hold Reyes unless you think you can’t afford to wait. There aren’t likely any pitchers on wire with upside like Reyes

• Like 1

I'm in a 16 team league, so yeah, I agree it makes sense to hold onto him. I could see him getting it together and having a good second half to the season.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, robbybobby005 said:

Id hold Reyes unless you think you can’t afford to wait. There aren’t likely any pitchers on wire with upside like Reyes

Maybe. Maybe not.

But it will be a WHILE before the Cards even think about starting him.

On 4/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, lavaman said:

Waste of a pick for those who drafted him?

I'm of the opinion that a late round flier pick is never truly a waste. End of the draft you just go for the guys that you think have the best shot of breaking out, Reyes has the pedigree. With all the injury he's dealt with I think he's still at least a year of away from really being a factor, but again he has the raw stuff to be an asset at some point. Probably holds zero value in redrafts right now, but he's still a good dynasty piece imo. 

by RotoWire Staff
(11 hrs ago) Reyes worked his first game as a starter with Triple-A Memphis against Round Rock on Saturday, firing three scoreless innings in which he did not allow a hit, issued one walk and recorded four strikeouts.

Reyes' first 2019 appearance in the Redbirds' rotation was a success overall, and his abbreviated stint actually fell in line with the team's preset goal of keeping him between 40 and 50 pitches. Reyes hit the low end of the range, with 25 of his offerings finding the strike zone. Perhaps most encouraging was his solid control, which will remain one of the most important points of emphasis for the developing right-hander during his time in Memphis. Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports that manager Mike Shildt confirmed Reyes averaged 97 mph on his fastball during the outing, making the outing all the more impressive.

• Thanks 1