Dirty Little Birdie

Alex Reyes 2019 Outlook

10 minutes ago, herschel said:

by RotoWire Staff
(11 hrs ago) Reyes worked his first game as a starter with Triple-A Memphis against Round Rock on Saturday, firing three scoreless innings in which he did not allow a hit, issued one walk and recorded four strikeouts.

Reyes' first 2019 appearance in the Redbirds' rotation was a success overall, and his abbreviated stint actually fell in line with the team's preset goal of keeping him between 40 and 50 pitches. Reyes hit the low end of the range, with 25 of his offerings finding the strike zone. Perhaps most encouraging was his solid control, which will remain one of the most important points of emphasis for the developing right-hander during his time in Memphis. Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports that manager Mike Shildt confirmed Reyes averaged 97 mph on his fastball during the outing, making the outing all the more impressive.

So I think I need an update. I thought STL said they weren’t sending him down to get stretched out into a starter (can’t remember where I saw that) and just to figure out this reliever thing. Now he’s starting in AAA and pitching a handful of innings? Is he getting stretched to a fireman or a legitimate starter?

He's been lights out in AAA, hope he can figure out the MLB thing.

I think cards over valued their starting rotation coming into the season. Now even Miles can't get a good game in. If there are no set backs I would hope that they hope he comes in as a starter, same with cmart

I have no idea what to make of Reyes's situation.  He's uber talented, but has missed tons of development time.  He needs to be babied because of the immense upside and his fragile arm.  His innings are definitely going to be capped no matter what, but at what limit?  80, 100, 120?   With such a cap it's hard to see him as a starter, but he also didn't do so good as a reliever.  I'm not sure what the Cards FO is thinking, but it would seem that the most important thing for him is to pitch at some level, with a plan in place, and a routine to follow.  I think they should ignore the majors, or make it a secondary goal for him this year.  They should start him in the minors and let him pitch to his inning limit, and shut him down.  If he goes 4 innings a start to elongate his season so be it, but for his future I think the most important thing right now is to pitch on a regular basis as a starter and stay healthy.  Don't Joba him, or think short term benefit.  The kid has ace potential.  Work him into a plan that leads him there long term.  Just my ignorant, sitting behind a keyboard while eating bon-bons opinion.

22 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

So I think I need an update. I thought STL said they weren’t sending him down to get stretched out into a starter (can’t remember where I saw that) and just to figure out this reliever thing. Now he’s starting in AAA and pitching a handful of innings? Is he getting stretched to a fireman or a legitimate starter?

They are keeping him in the pen this year. He's starting in AAA so its guaranteed work and a controlled pitch count. At least that's what I gathered from the last blurb I read. But I don't get why they can't let him pitch the 7th and 8th innings of a game ever 3 or 4 days instead. But whatever. 

22 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

He's been lights out in AAA, hope he can figure out the MLB thing.

I don't know about lights out...Still walking his fair share and his command hasn't been great.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

They are keeping him in the pen this year. He's starting in AAA so its guaranteed work and a controlled pitch count. At least that's what I gathered from the last blurb I read. But I don't get why they can't let him pitch the 7th and 8th innings of a game ever 3 or 4 days instead. But whatever. 

There's no chance in hell they bring him back as a reliever after stretching him out. They tried that, and it failed miserably. Can't just keep toying with the kid. He's a starter now. I don't see them messing with him anymore.

Edited by blinkfan77

anyone stashing or taking the wait and see approach?

if they bring him back as a starter could be some real value here later this season

4 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

There's no chance in hell they bring him back as a reliever after stretching him out. They tried that, and it failed miserably. Can't just keep toying with the kid. He's a starter now. I don't see them messing with him anymore.

"He's starting in AAA so its guaranteed work and a controlled pitch count" I think you're misunderstanding what the previous post stated and what they are doing with him.  "... his abbreviated stint actually fell in line with the team's preset goal of keeping him between 40 and 50 pitches."  The fact that he "started" the game, does not = him now being a Starting Pitcher.  It is easier to control and allows him to pitch every 3 to 4 days as opposed to waiting for those situations to arise in game.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

40-50 pitches equals long relief. I'm just telling you what I've read and apparently, you missed the blurbs. 

In my opinion they are going to stretch him out and see what they have. I imagine him getting a chance to start later in the season when they need a starter as that happens to every team inevitably. In the meantime, they will work on getting his mechanics under him as he has missed a ton of time. For now I think what he contributes this season is very speculative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kelle1sa said:

"He's starting in AAA so its guaranteed work and a controlled pitch count" I think you're misunderstanding what the previous post stated and what they are doing with him.  "... his abbreviated stint actually fell in line with the team's preset goal of keeping him between 40 and 50 pitches."  The fact that he "started" the game, does not = him now being a Starting Pitcher.  It is easier to control and allows him to pitch every 3 to 4 days as opposed to waiting for those situations to arise in game.

Listen, I get it. I've seen the quotes on their approach going forward. But I'm reading between the lines and using basic logic. How smart would it be to continue going back and forth with him being a SP or an RP? I get it, they're using him as a limited pitch SP and using his bullpen days to work on his issues. 

Reading between the lines: "We're gonna try and get him on a starters routine and get him back on track. We're not messing with him in the bullpen in the Majors again, we saw what that did in the past".

You expect me to believe that there's any shred of a chance that they call Reyes up as a RP after he's been on a limited SP routine? No way.

2 hours ago, RBI Sports said:

40-50 pitches equals long relief. I'm just telling you what I've read and apparently, you missed the blurbs. 

Actually, I've read the blurbs. Not only that, I go out of my way to find articles on Reyes. I don't rely on blurbs.  I'm just telling you what it looks like to me.

You don't send your top SP prospect back down to the minors to work 40-50 pitches in long relief, to call him back up as a long man eventually.  He's been on a RP workload all Spring basically...they weren't gonna send him to Memphis on a 75 pitch limit. He has to work up to that point.  That's why you see the manager reference 40-50. The manager of course isn't gonna divulge to the media that his goal is to get his shiny prospect pitcher back up to a starters workload. He wants to project a low pressure situation.

The goal is to get this kid back as an elite starter. Period.

3 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

I don't know about lights out...Still walking his fair share and his command hasn't been great.

yeah I was kind of being sarcastic, I've seen so many gaudy outings the last couple/few years in AAA while I drool in anticipation only for him to get hurt or flop at the MLB level.

Just hope it works out for him eventually. he's too good.

• Like 1

Knowing how the Cards manage their prospect arms, he will NOT start at all this year. Maybe a spot start here and there but nothing regular. That being said, allowing him to throw 40-50 pitches DOES sound like they are trying to make him Hader-type guy they could use THIS season. Who knows though.

Given he missed all of last year, I suspect the 2-3 inning stints in the minorss are to ensure he gets innings as much as any decision about his role.  They want him to get more 'reps' for a bit, get his stuff/command back, and then they'll decide what role he might fill mid-year is my guess

• Like 1

This guy is an idiot.  Plain and simple. 

• Like 1

Oh,

Alex Reyes fractured his left pinky after he punched a wall following his start on Thursday for Triple-A Memphis.

Oh, dear. Reyes struggled on Thursday, allowing three runs and three walks over 2 2/3 innings against Triple-A Omaha. He's reportedly headed to Jupiter, and he'll pitch behind a screen for roughly three weeks. Reyes, 24, has some of the best stuff of any pitcher in the minors, but he's really struggled with command, and he's made some silly decisions off the mound, too. This would qualify as the latter, for sure. At this point, it's very much up in the air if/when he'll rejoin the Cardinals.

“Alex Reyes fractured his left pinky after he punched a wall following his start on Thursday for Triple-A Memphis.”

So over this guy hes preposterous. 

In redraft leagues I think this guy is a clear drop.  Unless ur league is freakishly deep there has to be someone more stable. As for keeper leagues u are kinda stuck with him. Not sure of his role this year but have to believe relieving is it this year. Too late to trade him in any format sorry.

• Like 2

Alex Reyes (finger) allowed an earned run on two hits and two walks across five innings in High-A Palm Beach's win over Charlotte on Thursday. He struck out six.
Reyes was making his return to action after missing just under a month with a fractured pinkie. The right-hander was impressive while working up to 70 pitches, and his six strikeouts were a season high. Reyes could remain at the High-A level for at least another rehab start before working his way back to Triple-A Memphis.

Cardinals should deal him or consider strongly dealing him while his value still remains.  One more injury and he went from elite prospect and value to literally no value. Cards need an arm now and i dont see this guy anchoring the staff like we said 3 years ago

The Cards have a lot invested in him, so I don't see them trading him away just yet. I think they'll hold onto him for another year and hope that Reyes can have an injury free 2020.  After that it's all on Reyes.  

Between Wacha, Hudson and Wainwright there's bound to be an opportunity, right?

I think Carlos Martinez will get a rotation spot before Reyes does.