Dirty Little Birdie

Alex Reyes 2019 Outlook

I don't see any evidence from this year that says Reyes will figure it out soon. He has talent but so does Genesis Cabrera. 

"Alex Reyes started for Memphis (23-35) and allowed seven runs on seven hits in 4.2 innings. He struck out four and walked three, and he allowed three home runs."

He may not start this week for the Cards.

I'm holding till the wheels fall off.  He has a special arm, albeit with sometimes questionable control.  

• Like 3

Pitching tonight in AAA. The Aces have a pretty good offense, so this should be a decent challenge for Reyes. If he pitches well, this could be his last start before joining the Cards.

I cut bait with this clown.  He's got a golden arm but his head is loaded with cement. 

The Cardinals hold on to their pitchers too long.  Michael Wacha showed an ability to be a SP2, Carlos Martinez was a solid SP2 and Reyes could have been a guy with borderline SP1 stuff.  His marijuana incident paired with his incredibly inept brain will keep him from being a legit beast.  

John Mozeliak is a miracle.  He's the only guy in the history of baseball who could turn a winning franchise into a perennial .500 team and earn himself a promotion from General Manager to President of Baseball Operations.  As long as he's in the office, the Cardinals will continue on their journey to become the Baltimore Orioles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 96GOAT said:

I cut bait with this clown.  He's got a golden arm but his head is loaded with cement. 

The Cardinals hold on to their pitchers too long.  Michael Wacha showed an ability to be a SP2, Carlos Martinez was a solid SP2 and Reyes could have been a guy with borderline SP1 stuff.  His marijuana incident paired with his incredibly inept brain will keep him from being a legit beast.  

John Mozeliak is a miracle.  He's the only guy in the history of baseball who could turn a winning franchise into a perennial .500 team and earn himself a promotion from General Manager to President of Baseball Operations.  As long as he's in the office, the Cardinals will continue on their journey to become the Baltimore Orioles.

Now as a Mariners fan I probably can’t relate to this because the Cardinals have more winning seasons in the last 3 years than I’ve seen in my last 20 years of existence.  So your expectations are likely very high being a fan of such a rich historied team.  However they did win 88 games last year.  And are just a few seasons removed from winning 100 games.  I’d give me left nut, and maybe my right also, to be a Cardinals fan.

• Like 1

I dropped him also, he looked really good before he got hurt, but I think those injuries finally caught up to him. He can still throw hard,  but he has been very ineffective. As a cardinals fan I'm rooting for him, but I really think that he needs a lot more time in the minors to find his nasty stuff again. They may call him up soon because they need some pitching depth, but I'm saying away from him. He doesn't look right. 

10 Ks in 4 innings, 4 BB and 4 runs (3 earned) given up tonight. Can you be any more Jekyll and Hyde? ...Been holding him but I don’t think the juice is probably worth the squeeze with this guy.

4 hours ago, BETTAFISH said:

10 Ks in 4 innings, 4 BB and 4 runs (3 earned) given up tonight. Can you be any more Jekyll and Hyde? ...Been holding him but I don’t think the juice is probably worth the squeeze with this guy.

I’d hold especially if you have for this long. His upside is very high and I think he’s probably working on a few things and not worrying about the final box score too much. Obviously the walks aren’t great but if/when he puts it together you’ll be happy you didn’t drop. 10 Ks in 4 innings is nuts.

The question is whether or not an outing like that gets him to the majors, or keeps him down for more seasoning.  More than the runs is the BB's. 

I'm surprised no one has commented on his start yesterday.

3 IP 2H 4 ER 4 BB 4K

Not good. He needs a couple more starts in AAA.

• Thanks 1

Looks like Reyes has met his match in AAA. He needs to stay there and prove himself and that may take awhile. The Cardinals would only be wishing, hoping and dreaming if they bring him up now. It looks like it's "wait until next year" for Reyes owners. Only reason to keep him is in dynasty leagues.

• Like 1

Alex Reyes, who logged three innings for Triple-A Memphis against Salt Lake on Thursday, is a candidate to make a spot start for Adam Wainwright (hamstring) on Wednesday against the Marlins, Anne Rogers of MLB.com reports.
Reyes' outing was a modest 69 pitches, and the right-hander would also be working on a full five days of rest were he to get the call Wednesday. The 24-year-old has been uneven in his performances thus far, a trend exemplified once again Thursday against the Bees. "First inning was really good, sharp, everything in the zone," manager Mike Shildt said. "All the secondary pitches working. Very effective, very efficient. Third inning, little less command. A double play didn't get turned and it extended the inning. He didn't do well from there."

Not sure my WHIP -- or blood pressure -- is ready for a Reyes start just yet, but maybe the switch turns on

Yeah, I like most any SP against the Marlins. But, it wouldn't surprise me if Reyes walks 4 or 5 and has a high WHIP against them.

Reyes is like many others before him (Sano) ... the death of me, but I can’t quit the guy. 

W/ pitching being so random this year (could use it’s own thread) due to juiced balls, launch angle, acceptance by managers of spiked K’s, etc... is Reyes really any more dangerous than anyone else? I mean chit, remember a few short years ago when one of the best would give up say 5-6 ER in only a couple three innings and you’d lose you mind! Like whaaaat? How the hell did that happen? Nowadays, seeing a top 20 SP get lit up is rather common, and guys in the end of everyone’s rotations get lit up daily. 4+ ERA’s are the new norm, and .255 is the new .280 thanks to the (HR is king) mentality and actuality. It has detrimentally affected both sides shy of crazy high K/9 across the board for pitchers, and annual one upping of records for hitters. 

As as far as Reyes goes, he’s almost in a better spot to succeed long term w/ this recent trend. He’s always tried to strike guys out, and guys have no beef striking out now. 

I was able to grab him off waivers last night, and while I believe he’s much more valuable in keeper/dynasty given the time he’s missed and injury prone nature to this point, he’s still a very talented and young guy. Will he ever get over the hump? Who knows, but w/ Wacha and Waino being on the tail end of their careers, Mikolas reverting back to meh, there is a golden opportunity to finally realize his potential. More times than not, opportunity is king! (As a Braves fan, I see many kids that would be in the Cards rotation today, but have 4-5 guys blocking them still in ATL.) 

This is his final chance to fulfill his dream as a starter, something tells me he’s gonna seize it finally if health (?) allows.  

He may come back soon because the cardinals need pitching help, but I really think it would be a big mistake for the cardinals to rush him.  He's loaded with talent,  but he has to find it again. He needs more rehab starts. He's been getting hit hard ever since he came back from the injuries . He hasn't had 1 clean outing yet at any level. I'm rooting for him, but after watching him pitch several games he's missing something.  The best thing for him would be to stay in triple a for several more outings to get confidence and control back and call him up late in the season or next year.

His problem is his shoulder and his elbow are already worn and the stress his mechanics put on them keeps on wearing. 

Just like so many Cards young pitchers he just won't stay healthy for long. 

He still throws real hard. He just doesn't have the control and his secondary pitches aren't effective yet. With his injury history he may be best in 1 inning bullpen situations in the long run. He does have some really good innings,  but it's usually followed by a real bad one. Either way they go he definitely needs more time in triple A.

I'm pot invested until he makes that first start.  If he pitches well then great, I own him.  If he blows, then I move on.

Yikes. More of the same.

"Reyes (1-3) recorded nine strikeouts but also allowed six earned runs on 10 hits, three walks and a wild pitch over five innings in Triple-A Memphis' loss to Las Vegas on Tuesday."

The K's are nice but the homers, hits, runs, and walks lead me to believe that the kid isn't quite ready for prime time.  I moved on yesterday and dropped him for another player.  If you have the roster spot to spare he may prove to be worth the hold, but with a short bench I don't have the luxury or patience to find out.

2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

The K's are nice but the homers, hits, runs, and walks lead me to believe that the kid isn't quite ready for prime time.  I moved on yesterday and dropped him for another player.  If you have the roster spot to spare he may prove to be worth the hold, but with a short bench I don't have the luxury or patience to find out.

I did the same wherever I owned him. Great stuff but he hasn’t shown a shred of command at any point this year, and it’s gotten worse lately. Maybe something clicks eventually, but it’s getting to late June and there’s only so long I’ll wait. 

• Like 1