Sign in to follow this  
AnonymousRob

Josh Donaldson 2019 Outlook

20 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You are making a joke, right?  His best days are over and even during his best days he was never ever a top ten player overall.  Top 20 a couple of years, but never a top ten.  And this from someone who has owned him on a dynasty for years starting back in his Oakland days.

No I'm not joking.  I said "if he's healthy" he's a top 10 player.  Donaldson is a stud when healthy, but he's been injured the last couple years.  

• Haha 1

All you have to do is pull up his Fangraphs page and read the 1st sentence...

Between 2015 and 2017, only Mike Trout (25.8 WAR) was more valuable than Josh Donaldson (21.4 WAR).

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

All you have to do is pull up his Fangraphs page and read the 1st sentence...

Bingo. Some of these rookie's have short memories. 

21 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You are making a joke, right?  His best days are over and even during his best days he was never ever a top ten player overall.  Top 20 a couple of years, but never a top ten.  And this from someone who has owned him on a dynasty for years starting back in his Oakland days.

Your AL East bias is showing lol

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

All you have to do is pull up his Fangraphs page and read the 1st sentence.........

Between 2015 and 2017, only Mike Trout (25.8 WAR) was more valuable than Josh Donaldson (21.4 WAR).

and this is the past glory I was talking about

2 to 4 yrs ago and he is in his 30's coming off a major injury

He's on the backside of it guys - if you are expecting 21.4 WAR .... then give me some of what you are smoking

Edited by Motorcat117
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Your AL East bias is showing lol

Mike Trout is in the AL East now?  Arendo?  Lindor?  Who knew?

I don't have much faith in his calves holding up this year, but to say he was never a top 10 guy is preposterous. You have no argument 🤷‍♂️

Dude won an MVP award after a 122 R 41 HR 123 RBI 6 SB season with a slash of .297/.371/.568 while playing gold glove defense at 3rd...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Motorcat117 said:

and this is the past glory I was talking about

2 to 4 yrs ago and he is in his 30's coming off a major injury

He's on the backside of it guys - if you are expecting 21.4 WAR .... then give me some of what you are smoking

well not in one season lol

4 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

No I'm not joking.  I said "if he's healthy" he's a top 10 player.  Donaldson is a stud when healthy, but he's been injured the last couple years.  

If he is healthy,  I think he can out perform his ADP and make his owners happy.   

The fact that he signed a one year deal makes me think he feels healthy enough to gamble on himself a bit.    Lets see if he can stay healthy though.

Posted (edited)

I don't think he'll quite be a Top 10 guy overall but he may payoff huge. He is the type of player good managers prey on every year. Guys who have done it before and will likely, to some extent, do it again. 

Edited by IceGoat

Posted (edited)

He’s looked fantastic defensively this year with many nifty plays, but offensively, this isn’t what we signed up for. I’m not one to make drastic decisions and jump ship early, but he’s 4/22 after tonight (.181 avg) with ZERO HR, ZERO RBI & ZERO extra base hits.

I don’t see how they can keep hitting him in the two hole for much longer. If he can’t show some signs of life this weekend vs Miami, might be time for both the braves and myself to re-evaluate things.

Edited by Unoslacker

Has looked bad at the plate so far but it's just 22 at bats to this point.  Give him more time than that.

I hope this continues so that Camargo can get some true burn.

13 hours ago, Unoslacker said:

He’s looked fantastic defensively this year with many nifty plays, but offensively, this isn’t what we signed up for. I’m not one to make drastic decisions and jump ship early, but he’s 4/22 after tonight (.181 avg) with ZERO HR, ZERO RBI & ZERO extra base hits.

I don’t see how they can keep hitting him in the two hole for much longer. If he can’t show some signs of life this weekend vs Miami, might be time for both the braves and myself to re-evaluate things.

In spite of his lack of hits, he has five walks to seven strike outs for a .333 OBP.  So hitting him in the two hole seems like a pretty good long term plan given that he's getting on base at an above-average rate while only recording four hits in his first twenty-two ABs.  When he starts hitting his OBP will be .375+ and he'll be piling on the doubles, bombs, and RBIs as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

In spite of his lack of hits, he has five walks to seven strike outs for a .333 OBP.  So hitting him in the two hole seems like a pretty good long term plan given that he's getting on base at an above-average rate while only recording four hits in his first twenty-two ABs.  When he starts hitting his OBP will be .375+ and he'll be piling on the doubles, bombs, and RBIs as well.

For those of us in pts leagues that penalize strike outs, his 32% k rate is negating those BB’s. I’m with you, the talent is still in there and it’s only a matter of time before he’s hitting lasers, but we aren’t off to the best start here. Owners who bought into health and a possible comeback player of the year, can’t help but wonder if we took the proverbial “bait” here.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Buy low window closing

5BB & only 4K’s in that same time period...Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come and he just needed a few extra weeks to get into the “swing of things”...Corny pun intended. 

Edited by Unoslacker

Looks like he's good again. How delightful. 

But in all seriousness, the hard contact said he's still the same guy. Time to enjoy. 

Typical example of how not to overreact 10 games into the season.

He has started to turn it on like expected. Sure the RBI totals aren't going to be as high as previous years but reaching 100 runs and 35 homers seems likely if he stays healthy. 

Buy low window officially closed.  Only question now is if he'll stay healthy ROS, which is not a good bet with JD.  

15 minutes ago, 80version said:

Buy low window officially closed.  Only question now is if he'll stay healthy ROS, which is not a good bet with JD.  

And that was reflected into his cost at the draft, right?

Him staying healthy is where the profit sits.