Sign in to follow this  
FF4life

2019 Draft Strategy

49 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

next year's draft strategy thread in november?

oh-really-now.gif

For those out of the playoffs it’s never too early to get a leg up on research for the next year ;)

9 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

It would be highly improbable to hit on Hill and Thielen because they are the only 3rd round and 4th round WRs that are performing at WR1s.

There are plenty of mediocre teams that have 2 RB1s or even 3 RB1s with weak receivers that are sneaking into the playoffs.

Look at the top 20 RBs and WRs ROS. There’s plenty of RBs that were late rounders and waiver pick ups (Jones, Conner, Lindsay, Chubb, Breida, Ekeler, White, Edwards, Josh Adams) . However, for top 20 WRs, these are mostly all early draft picks with the exception of Woods, Golladay, Boyd.

I get the feeling that Hill and Theilen are going well before round 3.

Fantasy has changed a lot the past two years, and this year in particular. I think more than ever you have to get as many players in explosive offenses as possible. Not that this was ever a bad strategy, but a few teams are putting up video game numbers these days. I'd guarantee the top teams in most leagues have a heavy share of Rams, Saints, and Chiefs players on their rosters.

I can tell you I’m never picking a QB early again. I picked Cousins in like round 7 so that was a waste. I got Goff and Trubisky really late in other leagues and it has been a treat. 

Next year I’m looking at the rookie QBs from this year - Rosen, Allen, Darnold. Allen probably has the best fantasy potential because of hos legs and he should go really late. 

27 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

I get the feeling that Hill and Theilen are going well before round 3.

The post was referencing this past draft. Both Thielen and Hill were mid to late 3rds in most drafts 

Edited by WaiverLooter

Heavily target players from:

Kansas City

Rams

Saints

Chargers

Colts

Steelers

Patriots

Falcons

49ers (Assuming Jimmy G is all good)

Feel free drafting players from:

Bucs

Seahawks

Panthers

Packers

Eagles

Broncos

Texans

Vikings

Browns

Cowboys

Avoid players from:

Jaguars

Cardinals

Bills

Raiders

Bengals

Titans

Redskins

Jets

Giants

Lions

Dolphins

Bears

Ravens

There are obviously exceptions and things may change but that is how I have it as of now. 

RB heavy first 2 rounds, find solid wrs in the next 2 or 3 rounds is how I like to draft. Got Melvin and Hunt this year on the turn, came back with Adam T and T Hill. Got Mahomes in the last round, never looked back.

Not saying I will ever get that lucky again, though.

11 hours ago, WaiverHero said:

If I’m 10/11 I’m going Ertz and Kelce just to troll. 

A dude in my league autodrafted and got both of these guys as well as Kittle. He starts Ertz and Kelce every week and is easily going to make the playoffs. Both of these guys score points like a WR anyway, so not such a crazy idea when you think about it.

Edited by wonderbread

On 11/30/2018 at 11:16 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

I can tell you I’m never picking a QB early again. I picked Cousins in like round 7 so that was a waste. I got Goff and Trubisky really late in other leagues and it has been a treat. 

Next year I’m looking at the rookie QBs from this year - Rosen, Allen, Darnold. Allen probably has the best fantasy potential because of hos legs and he should go really late. 

yea I drafted Goff in the 12th round whereas guys like Brady and Rodgers was getting drafted in the 3rd/4th rounds

My draft plan in all my leagues was to pair Mahomes with Goff, Ryan, Luck etc. Then grab Conner late and pick Lindsay(I'm a Bronco fan) with my last pick. Had I stuck to the plan I would have dominated all leagues. I talked myself out of this plan at the last second after talking about this the whole summer. 

Every year there is the ODB(rookie year), or Conner or Lindsay who you can get for free. The common denominator of the majority of winning teams this year  is having Mahomes and Conner.

Ironically, Conner owners may be in trouble in the playoffs.

Right around RB 7 ish is where I'd consider taking an elite WR. RB's next year will be like QB's this year. 

Edited by mongidig

On 11/29/2018 at 8:54 PM, SkinsChargersFan said:

“Top-End”, sure. But there is a big difference between the top couple names on your list and guys with massive question marks like Fournette, Bell & David Johnson.

Top end WR1s are usually the surest thing in Fantasy. 

Agreed, 100%. This year, 14 RBs and 10 WRs were taken in the first 3 rounds of my draft, while 3 of each would've been if not kept (Gurley, Kamara, DJ, MT, Hill, Diggs).

Of the 17 RBs, I'd label 9 as true "busts" (regardless of reason - holdout, injury issues or performance), and that's not counting Gordon and Hunt who provided great value for 12 weeks but have now crippled most owners at the worst time. Really only 5 backs (Gurley, Barkley, Zeke, CMC and Kamara) drafted in the rounds 1-3 have been true studs, with Mixon as a solid but not spectacular RB1/2. Of the 13 WRs, AJG is the only one who'd I'd call a bust (and even there, you got 8 straight weeks of top 5 value). 

• Thanks 1