Topgun

Jose Altuve 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

25 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

That is funny and ironic to a degree in that I have Glasnow and Devers written down as potential targets if I try to unload Altuve. 

Well then I guess I was looking in the right direction! My only 3B entering the season was Sano so I'm hoping between Sano and Devers one of them has a good year. I have Mondesi, Villar, and Brendan Rodgers with 2B eligibility so I think one of them will have a good year.

Man, no one's talking about this guy. Two homers tonight, four on the week so far. After losing time last season to injury he seems poised to have another MVP type season. Very excited to see what he brings to the table this year.

So much going on so early in the season which is why we kind of take players like Altuve for granted.  Same reason the Trout thread is relatively quiet (unless he gets hurt).

Jose Wowtuve never ceases to amaze me with his inspired persona and play.  A truly remarkable and dynamo human being, leader and ball player to boot!  

Maybe a 20-20 season? I am hoping more for a 15-35 one, but that may be a thing of the past.

I love the HR binge lately, but what REALLY makes Altuve special is those 20+ steals. Any signs of his running game coming back to life?

• Like 1

Jose Altuve may not steal 25-30 bags this year, but if he can continue on with this power stroke, it won't really matter. 9 Home runs in the first 23 games of the season and April isn't even over yet.. He didn't hit his 9th dinger last year until July 25th! Also, should note his BABIP is sitting about 40+ points lower than his "norm", so we should see his .289 average rise soon. His approach seems different this year. Striking out more often (maybe it's just a SSS), but his barrel % is about twice as high (about 13%) and his exit velocity is sitting slightly higher than it's ever been (88%). Obviously he won't keep this pace up, but he looks healthy and primed for a MONSTER season! Any projections for 2019???

How do you see his skills aging in a keeper league? Speed goes down but will average, obp, pop, runs and rbi stay intact or maybe even increase a bit for the next 5 years or so? 

Less speed more pop! Home runs will slow but he could eclipse 30 this year, though I'd be wary. HR/FB is more than 2 times higher than its ever been and launch angle is up to 14 degrees (career 10 degrees). Contact rates are lower than usual and I think that's because his approach is geared more towards hitting the ball harder this year. I'm interested to see if this is a small sample size situation or if this is a new Altuve we're all witnessing. I wouldn't mind seeing .300+ 28-32HR 16-23SB from my second baseman though. Please stay HEALTHY!

So the early homers were nice, but he's hitting .133(!) over the last 15 days. This must be one of the worst slumps of his career. What's going on? Just a bad stretch, or something to be concerned about?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 3:05 PM, dele said:

So the early homers were nice, but he's hitting .133(!) over the last 15 days. This must be one of the worst slumps of his career. What's going on? Just a bad stretch, or something to be concerned about?

His K rate is up so that's a bit disconcerning. Dude's traded LDs for FBs and popups and that probably explains the sad ~0.240 BABIP.  He seems to be selling out for power.
He's not running either. So yeah, I don't think 2017 is happening again. The days of 30 steals are probably behind him now. Little incentive to run and foot speed will only slow down from here.

He is atrocious now. Seriously considering benching him.
Probably got homerun happy.

I want 10 homerun 25 steal Altuve back.

• Like 1

Yep, this is brutal. He has 7 hits in the last 15 days. What is wrong with him? I've owned him many times, can never remember a slump anywhere close to this bad.

Posted (edited)

Is he favoring something? Can't remember a time Altuve ever hit close to .237. Feels like a good time to buy but afraid he might be damaged goods with that knee. In this video less then a week ago he hits a double and seems to round first slowly and he looks to be in some sort of discomfort from his face. Just trying to do my due diligence here. 

https://www.mlb.com/video/altuve-s-line-drive-double?t=most-popular

Edited by bigbluecrew56

I am all in on buying low.  There may be no better time than right now to get Altuve on your squad.  He started off hot and this thread was PUMPED.  Now, during a tough slump, the masses seem seriously concerned with him.  I don't share that same concern, at all and I'm actually surprised by the idea of Altuve being talked about as if he's on the downside of his career at only 29 years old.  I believe this year and next are prime time for him, where his balance of Home Runs and Steals are the most optimal for over all fantasy value.  He is far too smart of a ball player to not adjust that launch angle, and approach to get the most production out of that sweet swing.  Oh, and he's in better physical shape than 99% of MLB, too.  

With 2nd Base being so shallow, he gives you a major advantage, much like owning Contreras or Sanchez at Catcher.  If you can move a top outfielder, or 1st basemen, plus an overachieving pitcher for Altuve, DO IT.  He's a lot of fun to own, and can single handedly carry your team for week-long periods.  

I predict:  .325 / 27 hr / 18 sb / 110 runs / 85 rbi

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

crickets in here huh? any word on how serious this hamstring injury is?

Jose Altuve is considered day-to-day after leaving Friday's game with left hamstring discomfort.

Altuve was pulled from Friday's game after legging out an infield single in the first inning, but it appears it was purely for precautionary reasons. Expect Altuve to return to the Astros' lineup before the end of the weekend.

(Source: This website)

• Like 1

And he already wasn't stealing bags.

At this point, have to wonder if 15 SBs is plausible. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, absknicks said:

And he already wasn't stealing bags.

At this point, have to wonder if 15 SBs is plausible. 

He still has the speed for it but analytics have been killing the stolen base. I get it, they aren't as valuable as we once thought, you need about a 75 percent rate for them to be worth it (Altuve for his career is about 78). But the Astros are also one of the most analytical teams in baseball, maybe they know something we don't or maybe they just don't think it's worth the risk with lineup around him. In either case I do still think he'll have a few splurges to get him to fifteen or twenty but I don't know if we can ever count on more than that for anyone hitting near the top of a strong lineup.

Edited by phillyphan21

I don't even care about steals anymore, I just want him to get a hit every now and then!

Hinch says he's "not optimistic" Altuve will avoid the DL (I refuse to call it the IL).

Hopefully this isn't turning into a season long issue that saps his value like last year. 

10 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

He still has the speed for it but analytics have been killing the stolen base. I get it, they aren't as valuable as we once thought, you need about a 75 percent rate for them to be worth it (Altuve for his career is about 78). But the Astros are also one of the most analytical teams in baseball, maybe they know something we don't or maybe they just don't think it's worth the risk with lineup around him. In either case I do still think he'll have a few splurges to get him to fifteen or twenty but I don't know if we can ever count on more than that for anyone hitting near the top of a strong lineup.

You need to steal around 75-80% for the "math" to work out right in regards to runs scored.  If you can't get to that range you have no business attempting to steal.