Topgun

Jose Altuve 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Can't imagine we're going to see double digits in the SB category with the addition of this hamstring injury.

• Like 1

Anyone confident that he can return to an elite level?  He's being offered around in a league I'm in and the more I look at him  the more concerned I become.  The BA is bad, and he's now had 2 lower body injuries in the last 2 seasons.  The knee last year, hammy this year.  Last year his SBs were down, and this year before the hammy issue he only had 1 SB with 2 CS with about a quarter of the season completed.   We've seen this guy get hot and light it up for long stretches, so I do think it's very much possible he gets hot and is hitting .300+ by seasons end, but the trend over the last season plus knocks down my expectation of that happening.    What do you all think/  Is Altuve still a top 10-20 player who is going to be there at the end of the season, or are the red flags pointing to a decline that's real for who he is.  Can he get to 10-15 SB's by seasons end?  Again, he only has 1 SB in mid-May, and has a hammy issue.  Thoughts?

Amazing how quickly the concern set in after that blistering start to the season. As a long-time owner, I am more convinced than ever that his best days are behind him. I think he'll still be a nice option at a shallow position, but top 10-20? Not without the steals, and those have dissipated in a stacked lineup. Unless he can be a 20 HR threat (something he's only done twice), I'm don't think R and AVG can prop him up enough to be an elite option. Honestly, he was much more fun to own when the Astros sucked...lol.

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Anyone confident that he can return to an elite level?  He's being offered around in a league I'm in and the more I look at him  the more concerned I become.  The BA is bad, and he's now had 2 lower body injuries in the last 2 seasons.  The knee last year, hammy this year.  Last year his SBs were down, and this year before the hammy issue he only had 1 SB with 2 CS with about a quarter of the season completed.   We've seen this guy get hot and light it up for long stretches, so I do think it's very much possible he gets hot and is hitting .300+ by seasons end, but the trend over the last season plus knocks down my expectation of that happening.    What do you all think/  Is Altuve still a top 10-20 player who is going to be there at the end of the season, or are the red flags pointing to a decline that's real for who he is.  Can he get to 10-15 SB's by seasons end?  Again, he only has 1 SB in mid-May, and has a hammy issue.  Thoughts?

No...he no longer hits for average or steals. He is a bust and we all are morons for drafting him

He bats 2nd for the best hitting in the league and can hit the ball well himself. He has been unlucky hitting as suggested by his BABIP

Knowing what we know now in a full season I’d say this Altuve is good for 

110/15/80/15/.310

Thats elite

6 hours ago, terminator10 said:

He bats 2nd for the best hitting in the league and can hit the ball well himself. He has been unlucky hitting as suggested by his BABIP

Knowing what we know now in a full season I’d say this Altuve is good for 

110/15/80/15/.310

Thats elite

Andrew Bennintendi's stats with 2B eligibility doesn't make him elite.  This is two years in a row Altuve's been a bust unless he turns back the clock a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, 80version said:

Andrew Bennintendi's stats with 2B eligibility doesn't make him elite.  This is two years in a row Altuve's been a bust unless he turns back the clock a couple of years. 

Comparing Benintendi and Altuves BA is almost laughable 

Doubt the SBs are coming back, not with him getting older, the leg probs and batting in a strong lineup.

Just hope for a .300 BA and close to 100 R. Homers, maybe 15 to 20.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, terminator10 said:

Comparing Benintendi and Altuves BA is almost laughable 

Whooooooooossshh

Jose Altuve has been pulled off his minor league rehab assignment due to "fatigue and soreness" around his surgically-repaired right knee.

Altuve was on the verge of returning from a left hamstring strain, but he experienced this renewed knee discomfort after playing in his second minor league rehab game at Triple-A Round Rock on Monday. He's being evaluated by doctors back in Houston and there should be more information available on Wednesday. The star second baseman had surgery on his right knee last October, shortly after the Astros were eliminated from the ALCS

<wet fart> 

Posted (edited)

Really discouraging news and I wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the first half now. It's been all downhill since that insane start to the year. These lower body injuries are piling up and the ship may have sailed on him ever being a SB force again.

Edited by TribeFoo

Yeah, starting to feel like this could be a lost year type of situation. And even if he does come back, hard to imagine him providing anything close to first round value with the lack of steals. 

Never draft again inside the top 100...he’s done 

Anyone know the latest? Can’t find any news on comeback/seriousness of the injury? Thanks

Last update I can find is from 5/29 and is pretty vague. I'd guess we're looking at several more weeks:

WED, MAY 29, 12:15 AMROTOWIRE.COM

Manager AJ Hinch said after Tuesday's win over the Cubs that the Astros received "encouraging" news on Altuve (hamstring), and that he will require time to "strengthen his lower half," Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Spin: General manager Jeff Luhnow said earlier Tuesday that Altuve's injury shouldn't impact him beyond the next couple weeks, but there's still a lack of specifics regarding his current return timeline. The 29-year-old appeared to be nearing his activation until he was sent home Tuesday from the rehab assignment at Triple-A Round Rock with right leg fatigue.
  • Thanks 1

On rehab assignment now, just activated on Friday and has played two games at Round Rock. 1-4 2 runs and a walk today

Heeeeeee's back (from the IL)...though after seeing him run on his rehab, I am concerned his knee is not good to go.

He said its the strongest his knee has felt since the injury last year. Maybe a little time off was all he needed. Here's hoping.

Hit like .190 with a 30% K rate in the rehab assignment. (yes, just 5 games)

I think I am gonna leave him on the DL and see. (Which means 3 hits today I guess)