cdd10

Jeff McNeil 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

This is happy hour fantasy wise. This is the time when stars are still on the wire. To miss out on a real player because u have this guy taking up space is a risk. 

What “real player” on the WW is available that is hitting .400 or showing signs of being a more of a “real player” than McNeil?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

The question is how long do you wait for the power and speed from a guy who's never proven anything at the big league level. Yes he could hit 3 homers and steal 3 bases every month rest of season. But he could also only hit 5 and steal 5. Without a big league track record how long do you cross your fingers and hope that he does something other than hit for high average. And yes I'm only speaking for standard yahoo. Of course he's good if you have 15 hitter slots to fill. 

I think it all comes down to your team's needs.  If you rostered Gallo, Krush, Moose, and so forth, McNeil can provide the balance your team needs.  On the other hand, if you got Freeman and Altuve on the turn, and are sitting on Winker and Segura, then maybe you don't need McNeil as much.  This said, he certainly has value even without the heavy HR/SB totals.

McNeil has done nothing but shred major league pitching since he's been called up, which is now at 280 ABs.  So that's half a season worth of hitting in which he's gone .346/.402/.486.  His 162 game average gives him 88 Rs, 6 HRs, 59 RBIs, and 14 SBs.  With a .300+ BA those numbers play quite well at 2B this year, and you have to assume he breaks 88 runs if he hits atop the NYM lineup for the remainder of the season.

He's currently the 16th ranked 2B in Yahoo 5x5, and the 13th ranked 3B. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

This is happy hour fantasy wise. This is the time when stars are still on the wire. To miss out on a real player because u have this guy taking up space is a risk. 

Like every other player valuation on here, it's always league dependent. 

That said, for a serious discussion to happen, neither "stars" nor McNeil should be available on waivers in worthwhile leagues with knowledgeable owners. 

11 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Like every other player valuation on here, it's always league dependent. 

That said, for a serious discussion to happen, neither "stars" nor McNeil should be available on waivers in worthwhile leagues with knowledgeable owners. 

It's a game of musical chairs in the first few months of the season. Who's a bust? Who's breaking out? Who's on the decline? McNeil is good for now, but like I said... By the first of May or so if he's not giving me steals or homers I'm out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

It's a game of musical chairs in the first few months of the season. Who's a bust? Who's breaking out? Who's on the decline? McNeil is good for now, but like I said... By the first of May or so if he's not giving me steals or homers I'm out. 

For some reference who are the other musical chair members on your particular wire that you think are more worthy of risking a spot than McNeil? 

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Still on the fence as to whether to buy or sell tbh.

Sell! Sell! Sell!

He's choking up  with every at bat now because my guess is that he realizes that as long as he keeps hitting he will keep playing. To be honest, this approach is more beneficial as a #6 or #7 hitter for us fantasy players because it would help his counting stats. I don't see them moving him from the leadoff spot because he's actually been good there. So I would sell if I can get something good for him. Just my two cents. 

16 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

For some reference who are the other musical chair members on your particular wire that you think are more worthy of risking a spot than McNeil? 

Well no one right now. But like I said in a few weeks I'm sure I'll find someone worthy of his spot on my bench if he's not homering or stealing. 

• Haha 2

I mean why don't we actually talk about McNeil in the context of a couple hot WW adds? Put this whole thing to actual test. 

Both Hampson and Kingery are flying off wires currently. 

Hampson has his Coors effect plus SB potential. But has some playing time issues. 

Kingery sucked all last year, but is super hot right now. But also has potentially more playing time issues than even Hampson. 

Would you drop McNeil for either of these guys?

5 minutes ago, DavidbivaD said:

I mean why don't we actually talk about McNeil in the context of a couple hot WW adds? Put this whole thing to actual test. 

Hampson has his Coors effect plus SB potential. But has some playing time issues. 

Kingery sucked all last year, but is super hot right now. But also has potentially more playing time issues than even Hampson. 

I damn sure wouldn't drop him for Kingery. As of now he doesn't have a position. I think Hampson has more upside, but it's hard to drop a guy hitting .370 for a guy hitting .170. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Sell! Sell! Sell!

He's choking up  with every at bat now because my guess is that he realizes that as long as he keeps hitting he will keep playing. To be honest, this approach is more beneficial as a #6 or #7 hitter for us fantasy players because it would help his counting stats. I don't see them moving him from the leadoff spot because he's actually been good there. So I would sell if I can get something good for him. Just my two cents. 

Can you at all explain to me how losing 100 PAs over the year by batting 6th would be MORE beneficial than leading off? There’s opinion, and then there’s false statements. Leading off as opposed to batting 6th gives him a ton more opportunities and puts him in front of the best hitters in the lineup. This is simply wrong. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Can you at all explain to me how losing 100 PAs over the year by batting 6th would be MORE beneficial than leading off? There’s opinion, and then there’s false statements. Leading off as opposed to batting 6th gives him a ton more opportunities and puts him in front of the best hitters in the lineup. This is simply wrong. 

Why are you worried about him losing 100 PA's by moving down in the order when he's replaced for defense late in the game anyway? If he's only going to hit singles with the occasional double with no one on base ahead of him, I'd rather have some more counting stats. His SB's from last season was a fluke as well. In the minors the past two seasons he's only had about 10 steals combined. He's already been caught stealing twice this season. He's also been on fire lately and still can't score runs. I don't think he's going to hit .420 the rest of the way... so... where's the value coming from as he regresses down to a .300-.315 average even? 

15 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Why are you worried about him losing 100 PA's by moving down in the order when he's replaced for defense late in the game anyway? If he's only going to hit singles with the occasional double with no one on base ahead of him, I'd rather have some more counting stats. His SB's from last season was a fluke as well. In the minors the past two seasons he's only had about 10 steals combined. He's already been caught stealing twice this season. He's also been on fire lately and still can't score runs. I don't think he's going to hit .420 the rest of the way... so... where's the value coming from as he regresses down to a .300-.315 average even? 

Firstly he hasn’t been replaced very often this year. The most recent occurance was a blow out where everyone was pulled. 

But more importantly you’re changing the argument a bit at the end back to the generic. You could be right on McNeil for sure. No doubt. There’s a chance he’s more solid than great and a heavy BA player. You’re choosing what you think is relevant, I’m choosing what I think is relevant. It’s simple. 

What youre not right about at all is the insinuation that McNeil or ANY hitter in baseball would be better off hitting 6th in their lineup opposed to 1st. That’s just inaccurate. It’s wrong. If you want to disagree or try to prove it to me you’re more than welcome. But this is not opinion: batting lead off is better than batting 6th. This argument is so silly I can’t even believe I’m taking time to discuss it. Batting lead off is better than 6th. Period. Any skillset. Any player. Period. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Firstly he hasn’t been replaced very often this year. The most recent occurance was a blow out where everyone was pulled. 

But more importantly you’re changing the argument a bit at the end back to the generic. You could be right on McNeil for sure. No doubt. There’s a chance he’s more solid than great and a heavy BA player. You’re choosing what you think is relevant, I’m choosing what I think is relevant. It’s simple. 

What youre not right about at all is the insinuation that McNeil or ANY hitter in baseball would be better off hitting 6th in their lineup opposed to 1st. That’s just inaccurate. It’s wrong. If you want to disagree or try to prove it to me you’re more than welcome. But this is not opinion: batting lead off is better than batting 6th. This argument is so silly I can’t even believe I’m taking time to discuss it. Batting lead off is better than 6th. Period. Any skillset. Any player. Period. 

He's been replaced in the outfield(he's terrible out there). With Frazier coming back this weekend he'll also now be replaced when playing third as well. Not that I agree with that but it will happen.

Statistically speaking you are right, batting leadoff is better than hitting 6th. I am not arguing that point with you. 

From a selfish fantasy perspective, in this case, for what I want from him, I would like to see him hit 6th. I should've never said 7th in my initial post, that I'll give you. 

From what I've seen from him, even leading off he'll only help in Average and that's if he doesn't hit any prolonged slumps, which is fine for now. But later on in the season when you need some more homers or Rbi's he's probably not starting for my teams if he's not contributing in steals or runs. 

1 hour ago, DavidbivaD said:

No. McNeil has the potential to be huge if he could hit 10-15 homers and steal 10-15 bases. But he could also hit 7-8 homers with 5 steals. I don't want to waste my entire fantasy season waiting on this guy to become Daniel Murphy. So if he isn't giving me something in a few weeks I'd definitely drop him for someone like kingery. But not yet. 

• Like 1

Man, this thread has so many examples of why April is both the best and the worst around here. 

• Thanks 1

He's a superstar in my league that punishes strikeouts and doesn't reward steals very much

On 3/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, jb_power said:

I think McNeil and Lowe are much closer than 100 spots.   divide by 10 so 10 spots

On 3/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, taobball said:

In ADP or personal rank? I have McNeil much higher by personal rank is all I’m saying. 

On 3/28/2019 at 12:38 PM, jb_power said:

personal rankings

On 3/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, taobball said:

I mean listen, I don't hate Lowe. But McNeil is a player I could see finishing very highly, and with a high floor. I don't see the same combo for Lowe. I like him, but I like him late in drafts. I'll take McNeil quite a bit higher to secure. 

taobball, have you adjusted your ranking of Brandon Lowe or do you still have him 100+ spots below Jeff McNeil?

I don't expect Lowe to maintain his current pace but he has contributed in HRs (5) and SBs (2)

12 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

No. McNeil has the potential to be huge if he could hit 10-15 homers and steal 10-15 bases. But he could also hit 7-8 homers with 5 steals. I don't want to waste my entire fantasy season waiting on this guy to become Daniel Murphy. 

I'm confused, at 10 HR you think McNeil is huge but at 8 HR you think he's a bust? Then you go on to say that you don't want the next Daniel Murphy... a guy who has a 162 game average of 15 HR and 8 SB per year, almost verbatim what you just 1 sentence prior considered a huge player in fantasy.

Put the shovel down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LoGo said:

I'm confused, at 10 HR you think McNeil is huge but at 8 HR you think he's a bust? Then you go on to say that you don't want the next Daniel Murphy... a guy who has a 162 game average of 15 HR and 8 SB per year, almost verbatim what you just 1 sentence prior considered a huge player in fantasy.

Put the shovel down.

I was just using those numbers as loose examples. I really just need a combination of 20 homers and steals. Anything less I can't do. And you misunderstood my point about Murphy. I was saying that I don't want to have this guy on my roster all season hoping that he becomes Daniel Murphy when in fact he's really just DJ Lamahieu. 

1 hour ago, Kaii23 said:

I was just using those numbers as loose examples. I really just need a combination of 20 homers and steals. Anything less I can't do. And you misunderstood my point about Murphy. I was saying that I don't want to have this guy on my roster all season hoping that he becomes Daniel Murphy when in fact he's really just DJ Lamahieu. 

DJ LeMahieu's 162 game average is 8 HR and 13 SB. That's a combined 21 HR/SB. 

At this rate, you'll be eating General Tso's by dinner time.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LoGo said:

DJ LeMahieu's 162 game average is 8 HR and 13 SB. That's a combined 21 HR/SB. 

At this rate, you'll be eating General Tso's by dinner time.

In Colorado... Were he on the Mets it would be 4 and 10 tops. Which is what McNeil is looking like he will be delivering at this point. 

Edited by Kaii23

8 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

In Colorado... Were he on the Mets it would be 4 and 10 tops. Which is what McNeil is looking like he will be delivering at this point. 

The Denver air impacts stolen bases now?

• Like 2