cdd10

Jeff McNeil 2019 Outlook

He was smiling at first base after getting hit.  His demeanor was basically " Ouch, but I dodged a bullet".   Though he let out a yell as he was hit,  I believe they said the ball hit his finger nail, and skimmed his hand, so I wouldn't expect him to miss real time, other than maybe today to let the swelling go down.  He's a scrappy player that's a true gamer, though.  I expect him to be business as usual.

1 minute ago, HulkSmash said:

He was smiling at first base after getting hit.  His demeanor was basically " Ouch, but I dodged a bullet".   Though he let out a yell as he was hit,  I believe they said the ball hit his finger nail, and skimmed his hand, so I wouldn't expect him to miss real time, other than maybe today to let the swelling go down.  He's a scrappy player that's a true gamer, though.  I expect him to be business as usual.

total gym rat right?

1 minute ago, arthurpete said:

total gym rat right?

He's like an ant....can lift 50 times his body weight.

• Like 2

He has 1HR in 80Abs and a .928 OPS

He's awesome 

• Like 1

This guy is fun to watch play as a Mets fan. He’s much more valuable in real life than in fantasy though. The guy can flat out hit but with little power and not much of a base stealer. He’s best suited for deep leagues, MI, and leagues with OPS. In standard leagues you can count on him for AVG and Runs. The Mets realize he’s best suited near the top of the order. I think he’s an ideal 2 hitter with his high AVG, OBP, and ability to make contact. 

On 4/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, SpartyinFoCo said:

Batting lead off today.

batting leadoff and going 4 for 5 today.  run and rbi

all singles tho.  i was hoping hed be more of a base stealer tho.  in the 15-20 range.  hes 0 for 3 this year which may mean he gets the red light.

it takes away a lot of his value if hes a 6 SB guy vs 16

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

all singles tho.  i was hoping hed be more of a base stealer tho.  in the 15-20 range.  hes 0 for 3 this year which may mean he gets the red light.

He got one double. Gotta give the Squirrel his due. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

3 singles and one 2B, but I get your point. I think he can/will run on a 'spot picking' kinda basis, but not be a big asset there...some power will happen tho imo

2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

3 singles and a double*

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I am happy with his average and the runs he scores. Any HR or stolen base is icing on the cake. Again this dude was probably a waiver wire pickup and we are we are all probably plugging him in at 2B. I am way good with whatever he has been doing. Plus he is a fellow former 49er/Dirt Bag so gives me more reason to root for him. 

sorry i didnt see his name on espn for 2b

but thats good.  i really was expecting 15+ sb

Loving the average but when is the power gonna show up? 4 homers in 320 major league abs is kind of disappointing. Definitely not complaining because he is a hit machine, but man he'd be a superstar if he could just hit the ball out more often. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

sorry i didnt see his name on espn for 2b

but thats good.  i really was expecting 15+ sb

1 minute ago, FoulPole said:

Loving the average but when is the power gonna show up? 4 homers in 320 major league abs is kind of disappointing. Definitely not complaining because he is a hit machine, but man he'd be a superstar if he could just hit the ball out more often. 

A concern, no doubt, but I say let's see where things stand come the ASB. Warmer weather, maybe gets a few balls up in the jet stream. Top of the order, maybe he gets to attempt a few more SB. 

Tomorrow is May 1, let's keep that in mind. 

Posted (edited)

McNeil is a coach's dream.

Earlier today there was a man on 3rd, McNeil up to bat and the infield playing deep at the outfield grass.  Castillo pitching lights out, so McNiel attempts a drag bunt to try n score the runner from 3rd and beat out the play at 1st.  The bunt goes just foul.  The Reds, and Joey Votto decide to NOT move in to protect the bunt, so McNeil attempts another, executed perfectly.  Votto has to run in to field the ball, and tosses it to Castillo, but McNeil beats him to 1st for a bunt single, scoring the runner and the Mets take the lead.

McNeil isn't extremely fast.  He's not powerful.  His swing isn't particularly nice, but he is a squirrelly player that sets the tone for the offense beautifully.  I believe he'll keep the lead off spot in the order order, and with the bat skills he has, could challenge for the league lead in average.  

On top of the runs he'll score, and the amount of at-bats he'll rack up with such a high average, he also has eligibility at 2B, 3B, and Outfield.  The Mets have nobody with any talent backing up Amed Rosario, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually receive 5 games played at SS.

With 2nd Base being extremely shallow this year, what's wrong with a .330, 10 HR, 15SB season?  Especially with a good shot at 100 Runs scored batting ahead of RBI Machines Alonso / Cano / Conforto.

Edited by HulkSmash

36 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

McNeil is a coach's dream.

Earlier today there was a man on 3rd, McNeil up to bat and the infield playing deep at the outfield grass.  Castillo pitching lights out, so McNiel attempts a drag bunt to try n score the runner from 3rd and beat out the play at 1st.  The bunt goes just foul.  The Reds, and Joey Votto decide to NOT move in to protect the bunt, so McNeil attempts another, executed perfectly.  Votto has to run in to field the ball, and tosses it to Castillo, but McNeil beats him to 1st for a bunt single, scoring the runner and the Mets take the lead.

McNeil isn't extremely fast.  He's not powerful.  His swing isn't particularly nice, but he is a squirrelly player that sets the tone for the offense beautifully.  I believe he'll keep the lead off spot in the order order, and with the bat skills he has, could challenge for the league lead in average.  

On top of the runs he'll score, and the amount of at-bats he'll rack up with such a high average, he also has eligibility at 2B, 3B, and Outfield.  The Mets have nobody with any talent backing up Amed Rosario, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually receive 5 games played at SS.

With 2nd Base being extremely shallow this year, what's wrong with a .330, 10 HR, 15SB season?  Especially with a good shot at 100 Runs scored batting ahead of RBI Machines Alonso / Cano / Conforto.

That would be a great season with his average.  However, he is currently on pace for 6 HR, 0 SB's and 75 Runs scored.  We need the counting stats to kick in real soon 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BustHerPosey said:

That would be a great season with his average.  However, he is currently on pace for 6 HR, 0 SB's and 75 Runs scored.  We need the counting stats to kick in real soon 

For sure.  The lead off spot is pretty new for him, but he's proven he belongs there.  At this spot in the order, we will see more attempts from him soon.  How many?  It will depend on his success on his first few, I'd bet.

7 hours ago, BustHerPosey said:

Generally, sure, but that runs projection is worthless if the move to the top of the order is permanent.

• Like 1

These types of players (multi-position, high avg) are excellent bench pieces because when you plug them in, you know they are gonna at least get hits. It's the counting stats that end up lacking, however, and make them a not so excellent everyday starter. 

He has 11 runs in 13 games batting in the 1 or 2 spot. So if he is locked into the top of the order the counting stats will come.  I don't know where I saw it but I saw him compared to Matt Carpenter before his power outbreak.  I think this is a great comp.  Mcneil's breakout pretty much started out of nowhere last year.  He hit 22HR and had 13SB across 3 levels.  His avg exit velocity his 90.9mph which I think is pretty good for his profile.  I think its only a matter of time before we see some HR, especially once the weather heats up.  

Something that caught my eye is that he is 2nd in the league currently in HBP with 6. Seems like a lot.

You're just not going to see a lot of HRs from this guy right now, but he can hit. He's a great plug and play guy and will score runs but he just doesn't put the ball in the air much. 

I'd expect about 100 runs+ if he stays in the leadoff spot, but with a .330 BA, 12 HRs, and 12 SBs.

31 minutes ago, Greenline said:

You're just not going to see a lot of HRs from this guy right now, but he can hit. He's a great plug and play guy and will score runs but he just doesn't put the ball in the air much. 

I'd expect about 100 runs+ if he stays in the leadoff spot, but with a .330 BA, 12 HRs, and 12 SBs w/ 36 CS

Fixed.  0/3 so far!