cdd10

Jeff McNeil 2019 Outlook

If a tree falls in the forest and there’s nobody around to hear it, does anyone actually care?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:34 PM, LoGo said:

Still confused at the outrage over this guy. He's not a player you build a team around. He's not designed to be your starting 3B or one of your OF slots. He's a high OBP guy batting leadoff on a crappy team either for a 2b slot in deep leagues or a bench bat to supplement your lineup when others have off days. 

In 225 AB last year, he had 3 HR and 19 Rbi. Not sure what people were expecting other than maybe more SB production. 

A couple of weeks old, but still applies...  SB production like he flashed last season is one thing people could have expected, but the almost complete lack of any counting stats as well is killing his value.  Unless you really need some batting average stabilization at the very end of your lineup, I can understand people wondering if they should continue to use him or not.  It's not a knock on McNeil, as he's been as good as expected in everything but SBs.  The lack of RBIs should be expected with him hitting where he is, but the lack of Runs is solely on the Mets' lineup.  It is still surprising that he's this bad in counting stats though, as you would think a guy getting on roughly 40% of the time would be score "by default" at times at least, especially if Pete Alonso homers.

I'm still considering trying to acquire McNeil fairly cheaply because I've been having batting average issues all season, but it's not hard to see why some people are wondering what they should do with him at this point.

• Like 1

This guy making up some in the counting stats this week.  Man do i wish he played for another team.  

• Like 1

Mr. Consistency, check out how close these 2019 stats are to last year's:

2019: 75/223, 4 HR, ~.470 slg, 30 runs, 21 rbi, 27 k, 2 sb

2018: 74/225, 3 HR, .471 slg, 35 runs, 19 Rbi, 24 k, 7 sb

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LoGo said:

Mr. Consistency, check out how close these 2019 stats are to last year's:

If he could just bring those steals up, it's almost identical. Good news is, he looks to be working on that this week.

37 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

He’s Wade Boggs.

RIP Wade Boggs

• Like 2

I sense a change in Mets approach, on offense recently, and I believe it continues.  We're gonna see Rosario, McNeil, and even Conforto run more than they have in the beginning of the season.  The Met's announcers have been talking about it, and it's happening.  I've owned McNeil all year, and won't let him go.

He is the perfect player to plug in throughout your week for anyone sitting, or not playing that day with his position eligibility.  Now, more willing to steal, and popping a few over the fence since coming back from the DL, he's even more important to my team.  I'd recommend trying to pry him loose from his current owner if you aren't fortunate enough to have him.  He won't cost you a ton, but he fits in like 7 spots on your roster, lifting your batting average at the very least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has been superb since returning from the DL. OBP well above .400 for the season. 

• Like 1

could you be a top team in baseball with an all Jeff McNeil team? 

2 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

whats the spin rate on his slider?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

whats the spin rate on his slider?

offensively. lets say they have a league average pitching staff.

14 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

Strictly from an offensive standpoint? Sure, why not? 

5 guys that get on base at a .400+ clip, will flirt with 200 hits, don't strike out at a high rate. It wouldn't be sexy, but it would be effective. Would that team win a WS in this era? Probably not, but they'd be good. 

4 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

A team of 4+ WAR hitters should  be competitive, even with poor pitching.

Guys been on fire this week. So nice to find this guy on alot of my WW's when he came back from injury. Hoping he keeps it up.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:35 PM, jfazz23 said:

McBeast.  big 2nd half incoming

where has @taobball been?

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

They called him "The Squirrel" during the game. Never heard that before. Future BA champion?

• Like 1

The fact that he uses a Roberto Clemente bat and just rakes with it is awesome.

• Like 4

just a friendly shoutout to the cats in the MiLB forum who were touting this "unheralded McNeil guy" when he was quietly raking in the Minors. 
He really is a terrific hitter, and a fun one to watch. Congrats on the all-star nod. Well-deserved! 

• Like 4

7th dinger last night, but here's a more interesting stat:

3rd most hits (170) through first 500 AB in mlb history

• Like 3