2Balls1Bat

Rhys Hoskins 2019 Outlook

He won't hit for average, but he has good power and his BB% is through the roof. I'll take a 137 wRC+ every day. 

Can someone please hit this guy in the face again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hoskins has been brutal. but he shouldn't be.

this for just August..

.114/ .291/ .227/ .518/ .125 BABIP

19.6 BB%, 19.6 K%, 12.1 LD, 39.4 GB%, 48.5 FB%, 18.8 IFFB%, 6.3 HR/FB, 45.5 hard hit%.   

this was just posted..

http://rotoprofessor.com/the-ditch-list-is-it-time-to-give-up-on-these-struggling-options-hoskins-chapman-more/

Rhys Hoskins – Philadelphia Phillies
Past 14 Days – .125, 2 HR, 3 RBI

It’s been a disastrous stretch for Hoskins, but would anyone really be surprised if he heated back up before too long?  Just look at some of these underlying numbers that scream of an improvement:

• BABIP – .114 (despite a 46.0% Hard%)
  • SwStr% – 9.4%
  • O-Swing% – 27.5%

So his approach is solid and he’s hitting the ball extremely hard, the results just haven’t been there.  That will change, and while you can argue that he’s been putting the ball in the air a little bit too much (54.1%), that’s not enough.  The average is going to rebound, and so is his power (10.0% HR/FB over this stretch, compared to 17.9% for his career). 

He’s a definite hold, and if someone in your league has lost hope be quick to buy.

Verdict – Hold ‘Em (and Buy Low candidate)

Edited by SpecialFNK
  • Like 4

Let’s hope Charlie Manuel as the new hitting coach does something because the entire offense has been brutal. 

20 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Hoskins has been brutal. but he shouldn't be.

this for just August..

.114/ .291/ .227/ .518/ .125 BABIP

19.6 BB%, 19.6 K%, 12.1 LD, 39.4 GB%, 48.5 FB%, 18.8 IFFB%, 6.3 HR/FB, 45.5 hard hit%.   

this was just posted..

http://rotoprofessor.com/the-ditch-list-is-it-time-to-give-up-on-these-struggling-options-hoskins-chapman-more/

Im glad I checked this thread today. I was seriously considering benching him tonight.

"He is who we thought he was..."

-author unknown

X-rays after a HBP last night. The speculation is that he's ok, although some may have been looking for a good excuse to drop him anyway.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:49 PM, lavaman said:

"He is who we thought he was..."

-author unknown

Not sure if you're kidding. But you're paraphrasing former Vikings/Cardinal's coach Dennis Green.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He will probably be more productive on the IL than on my roster spot. Guys a stinker lately. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

X-rays after a HBP last night. The speculation is that he's ok, although some may have been looking for a good excuse to drop him anyway.

Not sure if you're kidding. But you're paraphrasing former Vikings/Cardinal's coach Dennis Green.

Well aware :)   Thanks for posting this my friend. Awesome stuff.

• Like 2

I know this guy is typically ice cold or red hot, no in between. Sits in my FAs having cleared yet can't get myself to pull the trigger. I haven't followed him much this season personally.

Anyone expecting a hot streak to finish the season or a continuing nose dive ?

3 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I know this guy is typically ice cold or red hot, no in between. Sits in my FAs having cleared yet can't get myself to pull the trigger. I haven't followed him much this season personally.

Anyone expecting a hot streak to finish the season or a continuing nose dive ?

Can't get much colder... 

I think he’ll get going soon. He’s due and very capable. 

• Like 1

Not gonna lie...I expected more this year...a lot more.

Weird couple years, hit RHP better than left last year and this season hitting LHP better than right. He's been either completely hot or cold, doesn't seem to have much of a middle ground unfortunately. Been a disappointing year for Hoskins and the Phillies in general.

Anyone feel good about a season ending surge ?

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

Weird couple years, hit RHP better than left last year and this season hitting LHP better than right. He's been either completely hot or cold, doesn't seem to have much of a middle ground unfortunately. Been a disappointing year for Hoskins and the Phillies in general.

Anyone feel good about a season ending surge ?

considering how much I paid for him, he better close out with a 15hr/40rbi .400 September 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 for his last 17, 2 jacks today.  Hopefully he figured something out.

• Like 5

He got away from the approach that had been working for him, and that got him into a prolonged slump.

Good news is I think he’s rediscovered where his bread is buttered (pull the ball, put it in the air but don’t overdo it). 

He should come at a good bargain next year. He’s a 40 HR hitter in this environment in the middle of a good lineup. He can hit .240-.250. Enjoy the 100+ walks for this in OBP leagues

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UberRebel said:

He got away from the approach that had been working for him, and that got him into a prolonged slump.

Good news is I think he’s rediscovered where his bread is buttered (pull the ball, put it in the air but don’t overdo it). 

He should come at a good bargain next year. He’s a 40 HR hitter in this environment in the middle of a good lineup. He can hit .240-.250. Enjoy the 100+ walks for this in OBP leagues

i like the bargain thought

randal grichuk>Hoskins. who would of guessed? 

[...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 6/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, SpartyOn4 said:

Good Pitcher List article on Rhys Hoskins

It’s long and full of analysis, but if you want the Cliff’s Notes: Sell high!

Hoskins is overperforming his Statcast numbers greatly, and his .323 BABIP is not sustainable for a flyball-heavy pull hitter.

He was a high draft pick and is producing like it, so the average fantasy player isn’t going to be skeptical of him. It shouldn’t be hard to find a taker for him and get a stud with more stable numbers in return.

This article was scoffed at when I posted it, but its analysis was pretty much spot on. Since then, Hoskins has slashed 195/344/421. His BABIP in that time has been worse than expected (.227) but it was obviously not going to stay over .300.

Hoskins has had two straight years of similar lines and there’s little reason to believe he’s anything more than that at this point.

In a bad year Hoskins OPS is 834 currently. He has a very strong 367 OBP. The average is going to fluctuate and never be great, but thats the player he is.  He's still a very talented MLB Hitter whose nowhere remotely near playing time concerns, I'd expect a better year next year, but I get it in 5x5 a guy who doesn't steal and has a sub 250 BA isn't super fun.  I just don't think this guy is as bad as some recent posts here make it seem.  No way would I want Grichuk over Hoskins. 

• Like 2