dannyusf

Juan Soto 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

They have 2 good bats.  This lineup from last year with Trea out has lost him, Harper and Murphy.  2 ultimate professional sticks, and the best base stealer in mlb.  And they’ve replaced them with a raw rookie, and nothing.  This lineup as is, is a bottom 15 lineup in Major League Baseball.  I don’t see any positive spin here for Juan.  

This belongs in the overreaction thread. It’s been a week. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

This belongs in the overreaction thread. It’s been a week. 

So you’re disputing that having Trea Turner hitting directly in front of you with 60+ SB ability and actual hitting talent vs Brian Dozier who’s a low average hitting talent/been putrid for a year + now isn’t a downgrade to prospects for the season?  When a guy like Turner gets on you’re going to see a ton more fastballs.  This lineup simply isn’t very good anymore and there’s a ton of pressure on a 20 year old to now carry the production.  That’s a big task to ask.  

Edited by Cmilne23

If he's still swinging and missing a lot in mid-May i MAY get concerned

7 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

So you’re disputing that having Trea Turner hitting directly in front of you with 60+ SB ability and actual hitting talent vs Brian Dozier who’s a low average hitting talent/been putrid for a year + now isn’t a downgrade to prospects for the season?  When a guy like Turner gets on you’re going to see a ton more fastballs.  This lineup simply isn’t very good anymore and there’s a ton of pressure on a 20 year old to now carry the production.  That’s a big task to ask.  

Turner is obviously great, but the lineup isn’t s--- without him.  Assuming it will end up being

Eaton

Robles

Rendon/Soto

Soto/Rendon

thats a perfectly acceptable top end for me

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m saying he proved he’s capable of hitting last season and you’re overreacting to a tiny sample. 

He’s 1/1 with a run scored today BTW

Edited by Stickfig13

Posted (edited)

If people are really worried about lineup without trea and soto not being able to handle 2nd year adjustments (I think that's laughable) then I would buy every time

something like top 50 player and a decent arm

ha hr soto

Edited by colepenhagen
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

I’m saying he proved he’s capable of hitting last season and you’re overreacting to a tiny sample. 

He’s 1/1 with a run scored today BTW

I’m not saying he isn’t capable, has nothing to do with him, more so projecting out counting stats.  I’d like to see Robles in 2 hole, or move Rendon to 2 and everyone up a spot.  There’s zero reasons to move Dozier into a 2 hole.  But teeing off on Nola today is nice to see.

That lineup has 6 against Nola, with a 2 run Soto bomb. 

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m not saying he isn’t capable, has nothing to do with him, more so projecting out counting stats.  I’d like to see Robles in 2 hole, or move Rendon to 2 and everyone up a spot.  There’s zero reasons to move Dozier into a 2 hole.  But teeing off on Nola today is nice to see.

Plenty of great fantasy assets are on bad teams. Poor timing for the lineup critique.... ;) 

You’re always spot and I get what you’re saying. 

• Haha 1

Cmilne23 if you can hop over to the betts thread and start overreacting, it would really help my fantasy team. Thanks 

j/k I think Soto will be fine with the good OBP guys ahead of him.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, FUM said:

Hitting like a** and striking out a ton and I’m not liking it.

Works every time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Turner is obviously great, but the lineup isn’t s--- without him.  Assuming it will end up being

Eaton

Robles

Rendon/Soto

Soto/Rendon

thats a perfectly acceptable top end for me

Forget acceptable -- that's a borderline elite top 4 depending on what Robles does. 

43 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Forget acceptable -- that's a borderline elite top 4 depending on what Robles does. 

on paper maybe but what happens when eaton gets inj and robles goes through some rookie struggles 

top 4 not close. 

Posted (edited)

Soto will be just fine this season - if the top four isn’t as great as it was last year, it’s still good enough for Soto to put up good numbers.  I mean, yes Trea going down hurts, but the departures of Bryce and Murphy were already factored into his price.  And some combination of a hot Robles or Dozier shouldn’t be a major downgrade for however long Turner is out.

Edited by BMcP

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

on paper maybe but what happens when eaton gets inj and robles goes through some rookie struggles 

top 4 not close. 

I mean, that's worst case scenario. Most likely scenario is that in the time before Trea returns Eaton is probably going to be healthy and effective enough, Robles will be pretty good (small sample, but 289.340.546 through his first 38 games is quite an encouraging start), and Rendon rakes as usual.

• Thanks 1

looks a bit like pujols. maybe im projecting on the no stride. 2 strike approach?

20 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Fangraphs released ZiPS 3-year projections today; it has Soto overtaking Trout in OPS starting next year.

Soto .959-1.042-1.081 (2019-2020-2021)

Trout 1.023-1.020-1.009

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=20123&position=OF

Zips probably smart in projecting that by 2020 the Angels will have surrounded Trout with FP Santagelo and JT Snow.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Zips probably smart in projecting that by 2020 the Angels will have surrounded Trout with FP Santagelo and JT Snow.

you neglected to include Rex "The Wonder Dog" Hudler and David Eckstein.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hey man Eckstein is just the kind of scrapper that you have to have on a winning team. 

Edited by sleepysock

Posted (edited)

What is up with this guy? Been a huge dissapointment thus far. should I be worried? Possibly looking at trading him for a SP1 but I don't think he is carrying the value needed.

Edited by Hatfieldodger

6 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

What is up with this guy? Been a huge dissapointment thus far. should I be worried? Possibly looking at trading him for a SP1 but I don't think he is carrying the value needed.

Hes on a roughly a 25 HR/ 10 sb/ 100 run / 100 rbi pace.....

Average could be better, but so early in the season, it doesn't take a lot to raise it 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

• Like 1