dannyusf

Juan Soto 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

3-for-4 with a HR today.

Juan Soto's last 91 games (162-game pace in parentheses):

.323 BA

.427 OBP%

.638 SLG%

25 HR (45 HR)

71 RBI (126 RBI)

77 R (137 R)

9 SB (16 SB)

• Like 5

Not out of the discussion for top 3 pick.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Not out of the discussion for top 3 pick.  

Acuna

Trout 

Yelich

He isn’t in discussion of top 3, yet.

• Like 3

If this dude's ceiling Miggy + 10-15 SBs a year? I just figured Acuna was the natural guy to eventually take away the perennial #1 spot from Trout, but s---, maybe it's Soto.

• Like 2

I see Soto more as this generation's Votto in OF. His pitch recognition is other-worldly.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:09 PM, Cmilne23 said:

Acuna

Trout 

Yelich

He isn’t in discussion of top 3, yet.

I probably wouldn't reach for Soto top 3 but I definitely wouldn't laugh at the person who decided to do it.  I think Soto's upside may just be the greatest of all.  He can easily it .330+ with 40+ HR and 15 Sbs.  The Sbs are not safe.  The Nats may decide not to risk him run into an injury.  His foot speed is not incredibly great.  But he could have a .450 OBP in 2020 which implies a possible extra 5 or more steals and 20+ SB upside.

• Like 1

It really can't be stated enough - he's tracking to be an all-time great hitter.

At age 20, with masterful plate discipline, tremendous bat speed and bat-to-ball ability, and power to all fields, there's really nothing that's going to stop him barring health. 

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

It really can't be stated enough - he's tracking to be an all-time great hitter.

At age 20, with masterful plate discipline, tremendous bat speed and bat-to-ball ability, and power to all fields, there's really nothing that's going to stop him barring health. 

he really does seem to be mickey mantle level.  wow.

3R/1HR/3RBi while pitching against deGrom. Overall, 97R/32HR/98RBi along with 12SB. Not bad for a 2nd season in MLB for a kid born in 98 😍

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, sleepysock said:

If this dude's ceiling Miggy + 10-15 SBs a year? I just figured Acuna was the natural guy to eventually take away the perennial #1 spot from Trout, but s---, maybe it's Soto.

Crazy time in general for South American talent. Soto, Acuna, Vlad Jr., and then you have Wander in the minors who looks like he is going to be incredible, too.

Back to Soto, though. Dude is incredible and is what every Nats fan thought that overrated clown Harper would be.

• Like 2

doesn't sound serious, but still hope everything is good.

Juan Soto is undergoing X-rays on his right elbow after getting hit by a pitch in Tuesday's comeback win over the Mets.

Soto helped spur that comeback after the HBP and he is in the Nationals' starting lineup on Wednesday afternoon, so this wouldn't appear to be anything too worrisome. He'll wear an elbow guard for extra protection.

Psyched we're getting to see Soto on the big stage. Looking like a true stud so far. I'm pumped for this guy's future.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Psyched we're getting to see Soto on the big stage. Looking like a true stud so far. I'm pumped for this guy's future.

soto vs acuna would of been nice nlcs

27 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

soto vs acuna would of been nice nlcs

Soto is better than flashy Acuna 

[...] LOVE having this guy on my team. probably my favorite non-Padre in the game.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

On 10/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, ItsMeMario said:

Soto is better than flashy Acuna 

Soto is the more complete hitter, but Acuna is obviously great overall too (and the more complete player for fantasy).  Still, no real reason to compare the two as they are both two of the top young players in the game.

• Like 2

The interesting thing will be the over under on Soto’s stolen bases.  I’d be happy if he duplicated 2019.   It nobody used to see him as a base stealer.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:23 PM, KingJoffrey said:

The interesting thing will be the over under on Soto’s stolen bases.  I’d be happy if he duplicated 2019.   It nobody used to see him as a base stealer.

I would set the under over back around 5 or 6.  This year seemed to just be one of those seasons where he got some windows of opportunity and took advantage, there were two months May and September where he didnt even attempt to steal a base and he was only CS one time.  So to me that tells me he picked and chose his spots well, I see one came off Thor who allowed more steals than anyone in the majors this year at least one maybe more came on the backend of double steals.  This is a guy who has never had more than I think 5 maybe 6 in any season majors or minors.  Its one of those bonuses, if he steals 10 great, but as I am plugging my roster in and the numbers I think I need, if I had him on my roster, my projection would be about 5.  

• Like 2